2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Versa Jailbird

agood3putt

After practicing with this putter for a while I think I’ve found a technique.  Rather than gripping at 35” I seem to putt better gripping higher up.  It makes the putter more stable.  My forearms are anchored against my belly and the stroke is very stable.  It’s similar to what Wyndham Clark does.  Gripping down doesn’t feel quite as good.  How about everyone else?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, So_Cal said:

After practicing with this putter for a while I think I’ve found a technique.  Rather than gripping at 35” I seem to putt better gripping higher up.  It makes the putter more stable.  My forearms are anchored against my belly and the stroke is very stable.  It’s similar to what Wyndham Clark does.  Gripping down doesn’t feel quite as good.  How about everyone else?

Same. For me, placing my right thumb on the R in Super seems to feel the best.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, So_Cal said:

I 100% agree with that. I tried for awhile gripping it at 34-35 inches but didn’t really like it. Last couple of weeks I’ve gripped it higher and it has improved greatly.

• Like 1

Just now, johnnybogey said:

Money, you also got the MH right? would love to hear your thoughts comparing the MH to WH. Thx!

Yes, I bought both.  Haven’t messed with the WH version yet since it was just delivered over the weekend.  Hope to get out this week (if the weather cooperates) and give them both a head to head test.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnnybogey said:

Money, you also got the MH right? would love to hear your thoughts comparing the MH to WH. Thx!

I also ordered both. I much prefer the WH insert. I determined I wasn't a fan of the MH after the first roll on my carpet. It felt way too soft/squishy for me. I rolled it in the house for a bit longer but eventually sold it.

WH was completely different. I've used the WH insert before so I knew I liked it. Rolled it in the house for a bit and took it out on the course yesterday. The jury is still out if I'm going to keep it. I really liked it inside 15ft, but I struggled with lag putting. This isn't surprising since it's much heavier than my gamer, so I will give it a bit to see if I keep it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jak77 said:

I also ordered both. I much prefer the WH insert. I determined I wasn't a fan of the MH after the first roll on my carpet. It felt way too soft/squishy for me. I rolled it in the house for a bit longer but eventually sold it.

WH was completely different. I've used the WH insert before so I knew I liked it. Rolled it in the house for a bit and took it out on the course yesterday. The jury is still out if I'm going to keep it. I really liked it inside 15ft, but I struggled with lag putting. This isn't surprising since it's much heavier than my gamer, so I will give it a bit to see if I keep it.

this is exactly what I was looking fir. Thx so much. 

im not a fan of the feel off the face using MH. I agree, it’s mushy. Really can’t wait to try the WH. 

if I don’t like the WH, I may cut down the shaft to around 35”

I got the WH version today.  I’ve gamed a Bettinardi Studio Stock 8 for 5 years or so, putting is the best part of my game, only bought it to see what the hype was about.  Having said that, I played 9 with my son tonight, and I was extremely impressed.  

I’m 6’0” tall, ordered it at 38”, and it’s perfect length.  Definitely no danger of a shirt getting in the way.  I’ve always loved the WH insert and this feels great.  Figured for sure I’d hate the grip coming from a green star pro only, but the whole package just worked.  I made some really nice putts and speed was never an issue, obviously extremely stable.  

I was going to sell it as it was pretty much an impulse buy, but I’m keeping it around for when the gamer misbehaves.  I get the hype, it’s extremely point and shoot.

IMG_0797.jpeg.778dd74fd114d31c69adf568c0065180.jpegIMG_0798.jpeg.bff78331615b942dc1c6f88a066d4c96.jpegIMG_0799.jpeg.919c311e4715f56727ed8ec1cf6b110a.jpegIMG_0800.jpeg.22e54225aed9322a8838519d6f4058db.jpeg

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

I think I'm leaning towards the MH as my favorite. It really does feel like it rolls better and my speed control has been great but WH might feel a touch better to me. Pissed Odyssey came out with the WH now because it's put doubt in my mind as to which I like better. I would not have thought twice about it, but I got the WH yesterday and have already changed my mind 5 times about which I want to keep. I think the MH is softer but I just don't know if I like that better or worse with the heavy head.

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

My gamer, Odyssey V-Line WH, must have sensed that my JB 380 WH was arriving today as I had one of the best rounds putting of the season last night.  1 birdie and an eagle on the front and 2 birdies on the back and averaged 1.6 putts for the round with the V-Line. 

Still plan on trying the JB out as-is but I fully expect that I will be cutting the JB down and using a Superstroke Zenergy Tour 2.0 as the Microhinge version at 39” was not for me and my putting stroke.  I like to be closer and more over the ball and at that length it did not work for me. 

I’m not sure what length I’ll end up at but I figure I have all winter to see how it compares.  If nothing else, it will keep the V-Line worried about staying in the bag. 

I don't get these people trying to flip these for the amounts they are asking.  I guess if people are dumb enough to pay then more power to them but I ordered one from PGA SS last night and it will be here Thursday.  Paid for 2 day shipping.  They have them in stock.  $399 plus tax and 2 day shipping was just over $453.  

But please feel free to buy them off of the BST or fleabay for $699.

Edited by Hstead
  • Like 2

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

1 hour ago, Hstead said:

I don't get these people trying to flip these for the amounts they are asking.  I guess if people are dumb enough to pay then more power to them but I ordered one from PGA SS last night and it will be here Thursday.  Paid for 2 day shipping.  They have them in stock.  $399 plus tax and 2 day shipping was just over $453.  

Even ebay is weird. They are starting to drop to normally $500 or so from what I can tell, but one sold this morning that isn't even in hand for $894. I guess people don't pay attention.

Edited by Sankacoffee

3 hours ago, Hstead said:

It’s just crazy that people continue to over spend on the bay for these putters. 

6 hours ago, Hstead said:

My guess is international buyers as well.

some of them are selling for less than 400

Well. Received my WH Jailbird. And had it sold on the putting green after I didn’t like it lol. Guy next to me used a buddy’s and was looking for one. He goes,  I can tell you don’t like it. I said you were right. He bought it on the spot lol. 

The weight threw me off. I could see the head moving sideways on my backswing. 

Edited by VanTheMan0519
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

My Microhinge Jailbird arrived yesterday. I played 13 holes today with it.  From the first strokes I made in my living room, to the practice green, to the course, I found a feeling i have never felt with a putter. It feels like head almost self corrects for an open or closed clubface.  I putted smoothly and my speed was great and I made several putts from 10-015 ft, which i almost never make.  Is the putter perfect? NO! It most definitely fits my stroke and so far, I am delighted.  The head is larger than anything I have ever putted with, but If I continue to see the ball roll as smoothly and as accurately as I did today, it will be in my bag for a long time.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

1 hour ago, TheMoneyShot said:

I am loving the WH version just as much as the MH version.  Trying to test these along with the two JR putters I got a couple months ago is stressful but fun.  Not sure what I’m going to do as I like each of them.  Maybe play with 18 clubs in 2024😂🤣

I think I'm keeping the MH. I might slightly enjoy the feeling of the WH more but it just feels like the MH rolls better for me. Also it seems like the MH is softer in feel but it comes off the face faster (not sure if that makes sense). I hate the feeling of having to smack the ball with a putter and prefer the feeling that it comes off a little hotter. Slows my tempo down.

Edited by Sankacoffee
  • Like 1