2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Why can't I take a divot with PING irons/wedges?

I have PING i230 irons and Glide 4.0 wedges and cannot take a divot no matter what! It's always thin to win - I mean my scores are pretty good but the vibration takes its toll. 

It's a pretty small sample but with my 50, 54, 60 SM8 wedges I take a very nice shallow divot and obviously it feels 100x better. How much do the thinner soles affect things? 

I'm thinking for you it may have to do with bounce and/or sole. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

13 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

How much do the thinner soles affect things? 

It seems to affect things a lot for you, and that’s all that matters. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX
P-UDI 3 iron DI Hybrid 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM10 54D, 60M Modus 125-X
Pro Platinum Newport 2

14 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

I have PING i230 irons and Glide 4.0 wedges and cannot take a divot no matter what! It's always thin to win - I mean my scores are pretty good but the vibration takes its toll. 

It's a pretty small sample but with my 50, 54, 60 SM8 wedges I take a very nice shallow divot and obviously it feels 100x better. How much do the thinner soles affect things? 

Irons like that are designed to be hit steep.  If you’re on harder turf , and a shallow swinger. Those are going to be tough to get along with.  

look no further than Victor hovland who had ping custom grind his i210 ( maybe 230 now ) to make them slice instead of bounce and glide. 

• Like 4

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I use the same combination, i230 irons and Glide wedges. I do not have any problem taking very shallow divots. My angle of attack is quite shallow and my launch is lowish. I am probably as close as you can get to the definition of a sweeper. Do not have any problems with this combination regardless of firm or soft conditions. I do use the thin sole grind in my higher lofted wedge which helps in very tight lies.

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Irons like that are designed to be hit steep.  If you’re on harder turf , and a shallow swinger. Those are going to be tough to get along with.  

look no further than Victor hovland who had ping custom grind his i210 ( maybe 230 now ) to make them slice instead of bounce and glide. 

It can't be taught or learned? I don't want to give up on them but I've also been eyeing the new T100. 

7 minutes ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

It can't be taught or learned? I don't want to give up on them but I've also been eyeing the new T100. 

That’s a loaded question.  Sure. You can change a lot just to get along with an iron.  But why ?  Real talk.  If you were playing good with  something else , there’s no chance I’d change my swing to suit new irons. If they don’t work. They don’t work.  

• Like 3

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

As noted, it's not worth revamping your swing, just to accommodate these clubs.  I will ask though if they have the same:  lie, swingweight, shafts, and grips as the previous set that you, presumably, got along with. 

If same/same, just go on BST---both lines are quite popular and you shouldn't take too much of a hit---then go find a set at a place where you can try them on grass first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think divots are necessary in all golf swings. If the ball is coming off fine and going the distance tou want you're good. 

Also this...

https://youtube.com/shorts/oWZM5P08mvs?feature=share

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I remember reading that the VCOG for the i230 are pretty high up on the face compared to other player's cb. 

• Like 2

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Just now, MattM97 said:

I don't think divots are necessary in all golf swings. If the ball is coming off fine and going the distance tou want you're good. 

Also this...

https://youtube.com/shorts/oWZM5P08mvs?feature=share

I think that having steeper divots helps with launch and spin with irons.  I used to be a sweeper then changed my swing for irons and now take bigger divots.  The result is increased carry, more spin and higher launch.  It was well worth the time and effort. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I remember reading that the VCOG for the i230 are pretty high up on the face compared to other player's cb. 

I’m not surprised. A lot of irons are creeping way up there.  It’s a terrible idea in my opinion 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

I think that having steeper divots helps with launch and spin with irons.  I used to be a sweeper then changed my swing for irons and now take bigger divots.  The result is increased carry, more spin and higher launch.  It was well worth the time and effort. 

IME, which is limited, dynamic loft provides high launch and spin.  I used to deliver a ridiculous amount of loft to the ball, as an honorary ambassador to the Dolphin Nation.  I'd hit it fat often, (or top it, I'm not picky) but rarely took a divot, and would get things like launches around 70% of the static loft angle, and spins in excess of the 'club number x 1000.'  I guess I was steep but flipped with OK timing?

E.g., 32° 7-iron launching in the low 20s, with, at times, 7700 rpm.  They didn't go very far, but they got higher than Cypress Hill.  Little to no divot.

It's a little better now.  Still trying for that compression, half dollar bill sized divot, low flight thing though.

Anyway, yeah, again little experience, but both of my sets of Pings have gobs of bounce compared to say the Cally Apexs or DCBs I've tried.  

Are your fairways rock hard ?

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

On 7/7/2023 at 9:46 PM, TheGolfingRealtor said:

5 minutes ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

I played last night and no difference but it wasn't terrible either. I launch it high with very low spin which must come from hitting it thin and not down and compressing it. 

I'm scrapping the Titleist idea and sticking with my PING's. 

I would definitely recommend getting the relevant specs checked (length, swingweight, total weight, lie angle etc) to rule out anything there, because otherwise it's just a lump of metal on the end of a stick and assuming similar specs there is no inherent reason why you can hit the ground with one but not the other. Length and swingweight are the likely spec culprits, everything else is probably mental. 

Also as @bladehunter and @phizzy30 mentioned, PINGs are generally higher CG designs which require a healthy descending blow to not hit "thin" as the sweet spot is literally higher on the face. If you are a sweeper/picker or take very shallow divots generally then most PING irons are not going to be a good match. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

5 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

I would definitely recommend getting the relevant specs checked (length, swingweight, total weight, lie angle etc) to rule out anything there, because otherwise it's just a lump of metal on the end of a stick and assuming similar specs there is no inherent reason why you can hit the ground with one but not the other. Length and swingweight are the likely spec culprits, everything else is probably mental. 

Also as @bladehunter and @phizzy30 mentioned, PINGs are generally higher CG designs which require a healthy descending blow to not hit "thin" as the sweet spot is literally higher on the face. If you are a sweeper/picker or take very shallow divots generally then most PING irons are not going to be a good match. 

I have my own repair shop in the garage so I check everything frequently. The PING's were built by a different department so the specs are tight. 

Hmm, I’ve only asked as I have had bouncing issues off very firm turf … and that’s not good with high cog irons 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

So the vokeys have no bounce and that’s why you can take a divot with them?

I would try adding lead tape. Maybe the pings are a bit lite compared to them.  

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Jailbird Cruiser.  

18 hours ago, cardoustie said:

Hmm, I’ve only asked as I have had bouncing issues off very firm turf … and that’s not good with high cog irons 

Yep.  Agree. If playing off soft sand based turf ,especially when wet -  I can’t imagine why no divot. You should  get a divot with anything on that.  Similar to bent fairways.  You need bounce on that to not hurt yourself 🤣

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 3:47 PM, bladehunter said:

So no matter what, these won't work for me?

54 minutes ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

So no matter what, these won't work for me?

I don’t have any way to say 100 % sure anything.    I can only tell you that I have a list of irons that don’t work for me , and I’ve played to a lowest handicap of +2.  

it’s a chicken or the egg argument around “ for swing to club.  Or fit club to swing “.  You can do either.  But it’s cheaper and less dangerous to fit the club to your swing.  My opinion.  

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t have any way to say 100 % sure anything.    I can only tell you that I have a list of irons that don’t work for me , and I’ve played to a lowest handicap of +2.  

it’s a chicken or the egg argument around “ for swing to club.  Or fit club to swing “.  You can do either.  But it’s cheaper and less dangerous to fit the club to your swing.  My opinion.  

The size of the i230 5 iron does not instill confidence. It's difficult for me to manipulate the face and hit the shot I want. They do bounce off the turf too. I can't overlook the results though -2 to +2 over ten 9-hole rounds. 

I don't know if i have the confidence to play the T100. Can an ego play a positive role? I know it gets people to play clubs they shouldn't BUT can it also have someone focus and hit a smaller club better?

On 7/8/2023 at 7:09 PM, phizzy30 said:

How did you go about making the change? I’m tired of being a sweeper. 

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

6 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Interesting comments. So if a sweeper that plays in hard links style turf what clubs would you say wold be ideal? 

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*