2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Mid-round blues

Not sure if this is the right forum? I don't see a health and fitness area.

For 9 holes - I can compete even from the tips. After nine weeks in my 9 hole league, I haven't shot more than 2 over in a single round. Yesterday, I played in my first 18 hole tournament round of they year. +1 after 9 holes, then bogey, double bogey, 3 putt bogey, X (pick up), par, bogey before walking off for the reason that I am writing this... back issues among other things. 

I like to walk and carry or push and I'm fine for 9 holes. Yesterday I got to 10 and the back issues started creeping in. It gets more difficult to put the tee in the ground, pick up the ball out of the hole, then fatigue sets in almost flu like. I feel tired and weak (back, shoulders, legs), can't swing as fast. Last year I was fine zero issues. Walked every round!

I go to the gym and do light weight work (don't overdo it), use the golfforever app, use the stack system, stretch etc. I'm old but too young for this! 

• Like 2

Golf is a demanding game both mentally and physically. 

Your story only talks about the physical part of the game but I wonder how much mental fatigue contributed to the overall "blues" considering it was your first tournament round this year. 

Not sure if you're familiar with the Chasing Scratch guys but they talk about the mental fatigue and the (2) systems our brain uses when faced with a task/challenge. 

I too at times have back issues where it's hard to pick up tees and the ball from the hole... it's not a good time when this happens. 

Hope you find a good balance being mentally and physically healthy. 

ok I'm done rambling... 

2023 Bag Under Construction

7 minutes ago, L3fty said:

Golf is a demanding game both mentally and physically. 

Your story only talks about the physical part of the game but I wonder how much mental fatigue contributed to the overall "blues" considering it was your first tournament round this year. 

Not sure if you're familiar with the Chasing Scratch guys but they talk about the mental fatigue and the (2) systems our brain uses when faced with a task/challenge. 

I too at times have back issues where it's hard to pick up tees and the ball from the hole... it's not a good time when this happens. 

Hope you find a good balance being mentally and physically healthy. 

ok I'm done rambling... 

No, I'm not familiar with them. 

Mentally I was fine, physically it is just hard to describe. I don't know if I should stop walking and just ride all the time? 

14 minutes ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

Yah I've been to the doctor and they didn't find anything. I've had Covid twice, the last time in February.

This happened yesterday ... You've already been to the doctor ... They already found nothing? You've got an amazing health staff.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

No way I would carry a bag anymore and play. Lifetime of playing sports and work, dragging out deer and beaver, hasn't done my back favors. 

Walking does it take a lot out of you even using a push cart, mostly it'll take your legs  

• Like 2

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Just my opinion but it sounds like fatigue issues as mentioned. Do you play 9s more than 18s? If so your body just may not be used to double the load. Also in the 9 holes vs 18 holes are you eating and hydrating properly? Could be as simple as a little dehydration or energy crash and your just a bit out of sync athletically then. 

48 minutes ago, Warrior42111 said:

Just my opinion but it sounds like fatigue issues as mentioned. Do you play 9s more than 18s? If so your body just may not be used to double the load. Also in the 9 holes vs 18 holes are you eating and hydrating properly? Could be as simple as a little dehydration or energy crash and your just a bit out of sync athletically then. 

This year I've been playing more 9's due to time constraints and family obligations. Last year, I played more 18 hole rounds and pushed/walked with no issues. I drink lots of water, gatorade/prime/powerade, healthy snacks. 

I'm still feeling the effects today. Very tired and achy. 

I would find a golf pro with a good fitness focus.

• Make sure there's not something about your stance that aggravates the back.
  • Also, consider a pull cart (or riding) if the fatigue remains a problem. Sometimes it takes several months to shake off effects of COVID.

Another view: At my home course, I played a summer round with a competitive marathon runner who shoots around 80. He always rides: for him golf is recreation... running has a separate conditioning regimen. 

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Assuming it's an option for the tournament rounds, ride in a cart. It's likely that the thirty something shots that you hit in the round, only around half of which would have been full swing, had less to do with your fatigue and back issues than the walking. 

The other option is to go on a health plan and hit the gym harder but who wants to do all that? 

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60 X
Ping G430 Max 15* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 70 X

Srixon ZX MKII 3H // Fujikura Speeder 904H S
Ping Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Byron Morgan DH89

Follow cart.  I don't push, I don't pull, I don't carry, I don't ride.  It's much better for you and your game if you have an electric cart. It makes a huge difference.

Just as an aside. I'm not a doctor.  If you're BP drops, like mine does, you can get tired, sore back, sore neck.  Takes a few hours to recover back to a normal BP.  Mine is normally a bit high, but on the course after about 12 holes it can drop like a brick. I've been as low as 80 over 50 when I got home.  Almost an ER visit low.  Be sure you eat and drink before and during play. I go through a lot of food in 18 holes. As I begin the back I start using energy gels every few holes as well as regular food. 

Whatever you do don’t start riding.  If you do it’s over.  If you don’t use it. You’ll  lose it.  

look at dehydration hard.  Clear pee people. Clear.  If It’s not you’re not hydrating enough.  That will zap you quicker than anything.  Then I’d examine diet.  How much sugar.  How much protein ?   I’m not  an ex pert.  But I did fix myself of this same thing , and it’s combo of sleep.  Hydration , and loads of protein.  The more the better.  I already didn’t eat much sugar. But I cut out other things with hidden. Like most breads at dinner . ( I’ll still eat sandwiches) and soft drinks and sports drinks completely.  Go to water additives for key hydration that don’t have loads of sugars. Honey stinger is a good one.  Several flavors.  

• Like 2

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

Not sure if this is the right forum? I don't see a health and fitness area.

For 9 holes - I can compete even from the tips. After nine weeks in my 9 hole league, I haven't shot more than 2 over in a single round. Yesterday, I played in my first 18 hole tournament round of they year. +1 after 9 holes, then bogey, double bogey, 3 putt bogey, X (pick up), par, bogey before walking off for the reason that I am writing this... back issues among other things. 

I like to walk and carry or push and I'm fine for 9 holes. Yesterday I got to 10 and the back issues started creeping in. It gets more difficult to put the tee in the ground, pick up the ball out of the hole, then fatigue sets in almost flu like. I feel tired and weak (back, shoulders, legs), can't swing as fast. Last year I was fine zero issues. Walked every round!

I go to the gym and do light weight work (don't overdo it), use the golfforever app, use the stack system, stretch etc. I'm old but too young for this! 

Change to “TheGolfingInsuranceGuy” and you’ll be shooting 68 in no time!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

No, I'm not familiar with them. 

Mentally I was fine, physically it is just hard to describe. I don't know if I should stop walking and just ride all the time? 

You should ride for the time being until you sort out your back and stamina issues.  What sorta back issues are you having?  Herniated discs?  Muscle spasms?  Something else? 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

11 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

You should ride for the time being until you sort out your back and stamina issues.  What sorta back issues are you having?  Herniated discs?  Muscle spasms?  Something else? 

Muscle spasms. They come outta nowhere and keep me in immobile for days and sometimes can take weeks/months to go away completely. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Whatever you do don’t start riding.  If you do it’s over.  If you don’t use it. You’ll  lose it.  

look at dehydration hard.  Clear pee people. Clear.  If It’s not you’re not hydrating enough.  That will zap you quicker than anything.  Then I’d examine diet.  How much sugar.  How much protein ?   I’m not  an ex pert.  But I did fix myself of this same thing , and it’s combo of sleep.  Hydration , and loads of protein.  The more the better.  I already didn’t eat much sugar. But I cut out other things with hidden. Like most breads at dinner . ( I’ll still eat sandwiches) and soft drinks and sports drinks completely.  Go to water additives for key hydration that don’t have loads of sugars. Honey stinger is a good one.  Several flavors.  

Maybe I will look at an electric cart for next season? I will have to do some research.

It's definitely not clear even though I do drink a lot of water. Snacks are a little more difficult. I have allergies to peanuts, almonds, soy, sesame & pea pretty much the ingredients to everything! I need to find something with a pick me up while also not making me sick. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

Maybe I will look at an electric cart for next season? I will have to do some research.

It's definitely not clear even though I do drink a lot of water. Snacks are a little more difficult. I have allergies to peanuts, almonds, soy, sesame & pea pretty much the ingredients to everything! I need to find something with a pick me up while also not making me sick. 

Check out piarom dates ( don’t know how they fall in the allergy scenario) they’re a super good pick me up.  

and for me animal protein.  Jerky.  Even a hotdog minus greasy chili. Eggs. Loads of eggs. Any way you want to prepare them.  My body for whatever reason , responds better to animal protein than anything. Plant protein isn’t the same , and I don’t have the info off hand that describes the differences , but it’s a lot , although plenty of sources advertise it as the same.  Plant protein contains much less energy building “ stuff “.  Is the gist.  

Edited by bladehunter

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

Muscle spasms. They come outta nowhere and keep me in immobile for days and sometimes can take weeks/months to go away completely. 

You could take muscle relaxants.  I'm not talking somas but something like flexeril.  My wife takes them and she says it helps her tremendously and doesn't make her feel all loopy like somas do because they are in a different class of drugs.  If you're not too keen asking your doctor for meds, then I would recommend laying on a heating pad for like 10-20 minutes before you head out the door to go play.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2