2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

What is the minimum course slope and rating for you to consider it a “real” round?

Georgie Z

1 hour ago, klebs01 said:

What is an unfair fairway?

tatertot beat me to it! LOL

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

I don't care what Par is, and don't have a minimum slope or rating.  The first time I ever played 18 holes of golf was from White 6200+yd tees on a 69/120 rated course, shot 94. 

IMO all 18 hole rounds are real rounds, even short and executive courses can challenge a person.  All depends on a person's frame of mind, their creative juices and how he/she tackles the course.  Leave the ego in the trunk and use your imagination.  The easiest of courses can be made into a test.  For fun, courses under 6300yds, I often leave my driver and 3wd in the bag and only use irons over 18 holes to test my ball striking and meddle.

But generally, I prefer more difficult rated courses, as they are, over the years, what my index has built on.  The key though, is NOT play easily rated courses too regularly, so ratings and lower scoring do not affect my index.  A few of the courses I frequent are 72/133 and 71/128.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Anything over 5800 yards at my age. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

On 8/1/2023 at 6:36 PM, Feelingofgreatness said:

Yardage is a silly metric.

The other day I played a 5900 yard course that was tighter than tight.  Unless you could hit the ball on a rope you wouldn't break 90 and the greens were small and really fast.

Agree with that 100%.

Recently, I took some friends to what appears to be a benign course; tees we played were 6400+yds, rating 71.3/132.  When we set it up, they asked about the course, so I gave them a thumbnail and yardage.  Each of them laughed.  One long ball 10 index hitter said he'll eat the course up; I laughed.  Long fun, but later ugly story, they played off my ball, and all 3 guys played like diarrhea.  The long ball hitter lost 5 or 6 balls.

There's a short 5700 yd (par 70 68/131) course south of me that is a seriously fun target course.  If a person can't hit to certain spots in the fairway, he's in for an ugly day.  Due to wind, I only use driver on one par 5, and a Par 4, rest of the holes are long irons.

It's pitiful, but countless people play wide-open courses, maybe with parallel fairways, cause they don't have control of their ball.  Put them on a tight course, no parallel fairways, with OB or water on many holes, the course chews them up.

• Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I'd say any course, no matter what the "par" on the card is, your real par is the course rating.

I played a 6300 course with a course rating of 68.3 and a par of 71, so to me, my target score is 68, its not always what the number on the card says par is.

• Like 1
Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

16 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Agree with that 100%.

Recently, I took some friends to what appears to be a benign course; tees we played were 6400+yds, rating 71.3/132.  When we set it up, they asked about the course, so I gave them a thumbnail and yardage.  Each of them laughed.  One long ball 10 index hitter said he'll eat the course up; I laughed.  Long fun, but later ugly story, they played off my ball, and all 3 guys played like diarrhea.  The long ball hitter lost 5 or 6 balls.

There's a short 5700 yd (par 70 68/131) course south of me that is a seriously fun target course.  If a person can't hit to certain spots in the fairway, he's in for an ugly day.  Due to wind, I only use driver on one par 5, and a Par 4, rest of the holes are long irons.

It's pitiful, but countless people play wide-open courses, maybe with parallel fairways, cause they don't have control of their ball.  Put them on a tight course, no parallel fairways, with OB or water on many holes, the course chews them up.

I played in my city championship a couple of weeks ago and saw this first hand.

First course is 6200 par 70 (course rating of 68), zero trouble, and I played poorly and got paired with 3 other people who shot 72, then the next day is at a different course (6700 par 72 course rating around 72.3 I think, with hazards on both sides of every hole essentially), and 2 of the 3 guys I played with shot mid/high 80s.

Edited by J_Tizzle
  • Like 1
Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I trust rating more than slope.  The most difficult course of 4 in my town by slope is the easiest course by far.  I typically try to play around 6,500 yards.  Wouldn't mind a 7K course, but I know I am not near long enough, not am I good enough with my long irons.  I guess it would be a good way to get better though.  

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym AI Smoke 💎💎💎 Max, 9 deg; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

If you look back at that Excel spreadsheet that I made (back on Page 1), I have the Slope of each course listed and total yards (as per playing from the whites).

I always remember hearing a saying about "the higher the number/slope, the harder the course".  So, something around 100 or 105, for a basic 9 hole Muni would be suitable for beginners to get a good taste of what the game is all about.  Then again, something in the 130's and 140's would be vicious and cause a "newbie" to immediately give up and quit.

On 8/1/2023 at 3:02 PM, PuffyC said:

I've never found course ratings to have much relationship to real world difficulty or results. For example, we regularly play 2 courses, one with a rating of 70.2 and the other with a rating of 67.7. I consistently shoot better scores on the one with the 70.2 rating so 🤷‍♂️

That's because course rating is more directly related to length, while slope is more related to hazards/difficulty. If you're long but crooked, you'd probably fare better on a 70.2 with a lower slope than a 67.7 and a higher slope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, larrybud said:

That's because course rating is more directly related to length, while slope is more related to hazards/difficulty. If you're long but crooked, you'd probably fare better on a 70.2 with a lower slope than a 67.7 and a higher slope.

Distance is still, by FAR, what makes up the bogey rating (and thus, the slope). Not many 74.2/121 courses out there. 😉

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

On 8/7/2023 at 5:06 PM, larrybud said:

I'm definitely long and crooked 😉 but I agree. On the longer course you can spray stuff around a bit and not get yourself into too much trouble. On the shorter course you need to be accurate pretty much all the time or you're not going to score well.

Since this is GolfWRX, I don't think anything under 7400/78/155 yards should even be considered!!

Sorry, had to do it since no one else had.

BT

• Haha 2

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Maybe I'm wrong, but something that I don't think gets factored into the slope/ratings are: standalone vs. "in the middle of a housing development" and level of "extra" maintenance.

When I first started playing, it was up in Massachusetts, on a lot of older standalone courses that had, over the years, most of the brush and other nastiness cleared out of the trees between holes.  Now, most of the public (and some private) courses near me are all in the middle of housing developments.

So on those older courses, you could miss either way off the tee and still find your ball with a decent opportunity to get it back into play, usually in the right direction as well.

On the courses I play now, most holes have extreme danger on both sides (either OB both ways into peoples' yards or water on one side, OB on the other), and if you ever do go near the trees, there has never been any effort to clear out the brush, so it's a lost ball more than half the time.

So for average or below average golfers, some courses are way more punitive than the slope/rating might otherwise indicate.

• Like 1

Some of you I think are missing a key qualifier in this question...

On 8/1/2023 at 8:13 AM, Georgie Z said:

What is the minimum course slope and rating of the tees you are playing for you to consider it a legitimate accomplishment to break 70,80, or 90 for the first time?

Every round of golf is a "real" round IMHO. I regularly play an 18-hole, 3670/58.2/99, par-60 course. And that round of golf is as real as any other. 

My course record there is 69. Do you think I go around telling people I've broken 70 in my golf career? Not on your damn life. 

It's still one of my two best rounds of golf in my life. The other being when I shot 85 on a 6128/69.7/124, par-72 course. That's the round that if I say I've "broken 90" I'm referring two. Because it's a legitimate accomplishment for the sake of comparing best scores in a round of golf. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

On 8/1/2023 at 3:16 PM, jholz said:

I don't put a lot of stock into course ratings either...they tend to focus on factors that don't always, necessarily equate to making a course more difficult and ignore a lot of other factors. 

But, like others, if the course has a par of 70 - 72 and somewhere in the 6000 yard range, I'd call it legit.

Agreed. The handicap system needs an update or just scrap it altogether for average scores.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

I don't put a lot of stock into course ratings either...they tend to focus on factors that don't always, necessarily equate to making a course more difficult and ignore a lot of other factors. 

Like…?

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Like…?

Effective playing length and 10 obstacle factors is what they consider. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

There are no limits to what is or isn't a "real" round.  Golf is hard.  Move up a tee.  Who cares.  The pros hit 8 iron or less into basically every par 4 they play.  

Nate Lashley finished T57 at the 3M Open - he's 129th in driving distance on Tour.  Here are his approach yardages into every par four during the fourth round according to shot link:

88, 168, 200, 143, 96, 196, 107, 167, 156, 161, 33 (68 feet).

Tour average for an 8 iron is around 160-165.  It's OK to have a few long approaches (5 iron or longer) - but 9 of 11 approach shots into par fours for Nate were (likely) an 8 iron or less.  Maybe one of those 168/167 shots was a 7 iron.  Oh and basically every par 5 on tour is reachable for pros with a good drive.  

So move up a tee and play golf like a tour pro.

52 minutes ago, Varry_Hardon said:

I'm guessing the underlying question was more : what other factors you think are ignored and should be taken into account?

I would argue that they privilege length above all else and consider water more penal than jungle. 

It is a subtly subjective process. 

or
or

11 hours ago, Varry_Hardon said:

I'm guessing the underlying question was more : what other factors you think are ignored and should be taken into account?

Yes, because I know what a course rating factors, @jholz.

11 hours ago, jholz said:

I would argue that they privilege length above all else and consider water more penal than jungle.

"Extreme rough" is regarded almost the same as OB, so… no. Yes, length is the dominant factor.

11 hours ago, jholz said:

It is a subtly subjective process. 

It's also a fairly measured process. Green targets are measured. Bunker depths matter. The size of the greenside bunkers matter. The length of the shots matter. The distances of the corridors. Whether there's "roll" on tee shots, and whether side slopes add to or subtract from the width. Whether the flag is visible, or the green is visible.

There's more to it than length and ten other factors.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes, because I know what a course rating factors, @jholz.

"Extreme rough" is regarded almost the same as OB, so… no. Yes, length is the dominant factor.

It's also a fairly measured process. Green targets are measured. Bunker depths matter. The size of the greenside bunkers matter. The length of the shots matter. The distances of the corridors. Whether there's "roll" on tee shots, and whether side slopes add to or subtract from the width. Whether the flag is visible, or the green is visible.

There's more to it than length and ten other factors.

I take it you rate courses in your spare time?

or
or

3 minutes ago, jholz said:

I take it you rate courses in your spare time?

Only for the last 16 years, and as captain the last ten.

You still haven’t answered the question.

Like what?