2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Stealth 2+ fairway hard to hit

ReviellGolf

2 hours ago, MS.71 said:

For sure, that's a good idea. Could do the opposite as well because you know you like the 5w shaft, so 3w head on it would lead to more knowledge about that head. I think swing weights get a little wonky doing stuff like that so just keep that in mind, might not be the absolute best test since you do seem to notice stuff like that. Good luck with the testing, curious what you find out.

For sure, I usually do a swingweight measurement anytime I make a change. I measure the balance point and weigh the club and then enter the data into the sw calculator on golf.okrasa.eu. Not the most precise method I suppose but decent enough. I'll make sure to make a note of it. Thanks, I will test it out today and report back.

4 hours ago, ReviellGolf said:

For sure, I usually do a swingweight measurement anytime I make a change. I measure the balance point and weigh the club and then enter the data into the sw calculator on golf.okrasa.eu. Not the most precise method I suppose but decent enough. I'll make sure to make a note of it. Thanks, I will test it out today and report back.

Look forward to it

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2023 at 3:35 PM, MS.71 said:

Look forward to it

Ok so interesting update on this. 

I swapped the 5w sim2 ti head into the ventus tr blue 7x shaft (just under 43") and the 3w stealth 2 plus head into the ventus tr blue 8x shaft (42"). I had 2 thorough range sessions and it turns out that I had a much easier time hitting the stealth2+ on the 8x shaft. I still feel like the stealth2+ clubhead has a weirder, muted feel compared to the sim2 ti but I was striking it a million times better. The sim2 ti 5w turned down to 17* on the 7x shaft was a little bit worse. So now I'm confused about what I should do lol.

7 minutes ago, ReviellGolf said:

Ok so interesting update on this. 

I swapped the 5w sim2 ti head into the ventus tr blue 7x shaft (just under 43") and the 3w stealth 2 plus head into the ventus tr blue 8x shaft (42"). I had 2 thorough range sessions and it turns out that I had a much easier time hitting the stealth2+ on the 8x shaft. I still feel like the stealth2+ clubhead has a weirder, muted feel compared to the sim2 ti but I was striking it a million times better. The sim2 ti 5w turned down to 17* on the 7x shaft was a little bit worse. So now I'm confused about what I should do lol.

What are the numbers on 3w and 5w on the same shaft? Are they still far enough apart that they'd be playable in your bag?

I’ve had two range sessions with my Stealth 2+ 4 wood. I could see where they could be harder to hit for low spin players. I play Ventus Black 6x in my driver. Trying to decide between a blue 7x or 8x to try in the 4 wood

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

1 minute ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

I’ve had two range sessions with my Stealth 2+ 4 wood. I could see where they could be harder to hit for low spin players. I play Ventus Black 6x in my driver. Trying to decide between a blue 7x or 8x to try in the 4 wood

The 8x blue feels very sturdy...not stout, just sturdy. That little bit of softness in the 7x is gone from the blue. Think of the 8x blue like a smooth 7x black.

The biggest issue with the 8x blue is the heft. It's 87g or very near there. If you can handle the heft then it's a great 3w option. Be careful with tipping .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MS.71 said:

What are the numbers on 3w and 5w on the same shaft? Are they still far enough apart that they'd be playable in your bag?

I didn't get to a sim so I don't have the exact numbers but when the 5w is turned down to 17*, off the deck they are pretty comparable. I would say in the 8x, the 3w is longer off a tee.

If I think about it on a macro level, my average driver distance would be 300. My comfort level in carrying a 4 iron farther than 210 is not super high. It can be done if I swing hard, but I would rather not. My goal with the 5w was to have a 230-235 carry club, max rollout to 250 yards. There is only one hole on my home course where I am forced to hit an off the deck shot longer than 250 so my goal with the 3w was to be off the tee primarily for a 270 yard shot. However, it would still be nice to be able to confidently hit it off the deck if I had to. 

Do you think that my ability to hit better with the 42" 8x shaft could be attributed more to the shorter length or the extra weight?

4 minutes ago, ReviellGolf said:

I didn't get to a sim so I don't have the exact numbers but when the 5w is turned down to 17*, off the deck they are pretty comparable. I would say in the 8x, the 3w is longer off a tee.

If I think about it on a macro level, my average driver distance would be 300. My comfort level in carrying a 4 iron farther than 210 is not super high. It can be done if I swing hard, but I would rather not. My goal with the 5w was to have a 230-235 carry club, max rollout to 250 yards. There is only one hole on my home course where I am forced to hit an off the deck shot longer than 250 so my goal with the 3w was to be off the tee primarily for a 270 yard shot. However, it would still be nice to be able to confidently hit it off the deck if I had to. 

Do you think that my ability to hit better with the 42" 8x shaft could be attributed more to the shorter length or the extra weight?

Yes

I found Stealth 2+ 3W hard to hit as well.  For some reason, I hook the ball like crazy with it.  It helps to open the face by lowering the loft, but then the loft is too low and then moving the weight back didn't offset the loft adjustment that much for me.  I've given up and switched to TSR2 and so glad I did.  Much easier to elevate and hit straight.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ReviellGolf said:

Couldn't say specifically. And sure as heck not enough to give you any specific advice on what to spend money on. Part of me would be really curious what a 13.5 Mini Driver looks like in your bag, and then it seems like the 5w on the 8x shaft has been perfect for the gap you want it to fit.

I have/had a similar gapping thing with my bag. I went driver, 3w, 4h, 4i. I can't hit 4i worth anything and my 4h was actually going somewhat similar distance (220-225) but with massively better consistency and confidence so I took 4i out of the bag. I turned my 3w from 16* where it was originally fit down to 15* to make it a tee missile, and added a 3h (wanted 5w but my fitter said I'd hit them too high so I trusted it). Now carry gapping is really nice, like 280-285 driver, 260-265 3w off tee, 245 3h and 225 4h. But those hybrids I can stick a green if I hit them on long par 5s/3s (or an awful tee shot on a par 4). I have Blue TR down the line, 6x driver, 7x 3w, and 8x HB in my two hybrids.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone having issues with Stealth+ 3W not forgiving and low trajectory?

I was using Sim2 MaxD 3W with the shaft cut down 1.5" which I bought from a friend. I can only hit 200/205 yards with this club. I now want to play a standard length shaft so I can get to 210/220 and reach some par 5s.

My new Stealth+ 3W can get me the distance I like sometimes but it is so unforgiving and tend to go low. A lot of rolling but less carry. Is this a common issue?

19 minutes ago, khalespace said:

I was using Sim2 MaxD 3W with the shaft cut down 1.5" which I bought from a friend. I can only hit 200/205 yards with this club. I now want to play a standard length shaft so I can get to 210/220 and reach some par 5s.

My new Stealth+ 3W can get me the distance I like sometimes but it is so unforgiving and tend to go low. A lot of rolling but less carry. Is this a common issue?

No problems with launch at all. Wouldn't know its forgiving or not since I think every 3 wood is punishing on bad strikes lol.

Get very good trajectory around 100 feet height and 240 carry off the deck routinely. 107-110 driver SS

• Like 1

I find it to be the easiest club in my bag to hit, I think you just have a shaft mismatch or you are over thinking it.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

On 8/16/2023 at 8:13 AM, ReviellGolf said:

Just wondering if anyone is gaming a stealth2+ fairway wood and what your opinions are on it.

I am currently gaming a stealth2+ in my 3w and I've had some difficulty hitting it so far. It has a ventus tr blue 7x shaft at around 43". 

I can hit it well at times but even on good hits, it seemingly doesn't have much "feel". I find it hard to feel the club head throughout my swing and on impact I don't seem to get as much feedback, which makes it hard to make adjustments. Most clubs, I can tell what the flight path will be on impact but with the stealth2+, I don't know until I look up to watch the ball. 

For my 5w I have the sim2 ti in a ventus tr blue 8x at 42" and I really love it. Due to my inability to feel the clubhead in the 3w, my interpretation was that the club felt really light so I added some lead tape under the sole. The swingweight is now 2 points heavier than the 5w but yet it still feels alot lighter than my 5w.

The other oddity is that throughout my bag I typically have a slight in-to-out swing path but there is something about the balance in my stealth2+/shaft combo that is causing me to swing slightly out-to-in.

Just curious what other's experiences are with the stealth 2+ fairway wood.

Like others have said it sounds like a swing weight issue. I used to play 70 gram shafts in my fairways and recently bumped up to 80 grams and it feels a lot better. If you look at the WITB’s on tour nearly all go to 80-90 grams in their fairways.

If the club is too light it can cause you to yank on the handle more rather than letting it fall into the slot behind you. So that could explain why your path has gotten more out to in. I’d try a Ventus 8X or AD DI 8X (my favorite fairway shaft).

edit: I just noticed you have a TR Blue 8X in the 5 wood so I’d just match it up and put the same in your 3 wood. 5 woods have a heavier head weight so that should negate the .5-1” difference in length when it comes to swing weight.

Edited by Lloyd_Christmas29

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X

BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

2023 T100 4-PW C-taper 125S+

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

8 hours ago, Lloyd_Christmas29 said:

Like others have said it sounds like a swing weight issue. I used to play 70 gram shafts in my fairways and recently bumped up to 80 grams and it feels a lot better. If you look at the WITB’s on tour nearly all go to 80-90 grams in their fairways.

If the club is too light it can cause you to yank on the handle more rather than letting it fall into the slot behind you. So that could explain why your path has gotten more out to in. I’d try a Ventus 8X or AD DI 8X (my favorite fairway shaft).

edit: I just noticed you have a TR Blue 8X in the 5 wood so I’d just match it up and put the same in your 3 wood. 5 woods have a heavier head weight so that should negate the .5-1” difference in length when it comes to swing weight.

That's a great suggestion. Since this post, I actually have been finishing out the summer playing the 3w stealth 2+ head on the Tr Blue 8x with a tad of lead tape on the clubhead.  I think next summer I will probably get another tr blue 8x for the 3 wood and play it around 42.5" and I'll play the 5 wood around 41.75". 

I had a very similar thing happen. I hit the OG stealth plus pretty well, but just haven't got along with the S2+. IMO the og one seems to handle heel strikes better. I'll prob be putting my S2+ up for sale at some point. Thankfully it's very adjustable so easy to tinker with and sounds like you found a set up that's working for you!

On 8/17/2023 at 8:17 AM, getitdaily said:

Tell me more tell me more...

Your turn 😅

ScreenShot2023-10-06at2_40_18PM.png.65663cde81ea8075ef45f95fbd8e82d3.png

• Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 9/30/2023 at 1:53 PM, khalespace said:

It sounds like that the Stealth plus model is too low spinning for you. This is an issue if you didn't spin the ball enough to begin with, which the max model might have helped you with. You could try sliding the weight all the way to the back, but if that doesn't work, it's probably not the right model for your swing characteristics.

• Like 1

Driver: Sim 10.5 WB 73 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5i: Srixon U85 Oban CT 125x

6-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH

18 hours ago, Albatross Dreamer said:

I had a very similar thing happen. I hit the OG stealth plus pretty well, but just haven't got along with the S2+. IMO the og one seems to handle heel strikes better. I'll prob be putting my S2+ up for sale at some point. Thankfully it's very adjustable so easy to tinker with and sounds like you found a set up that's working for you!

LOTS of pros still in the OG stealth. I honestly thought the S2+ was absolutely crap. I’m a + and I can hit 3w really well I just did not like it at all. Feel and performance just were off. Still playing 915 Fd because it’s so consistent. Not the longest but easy to work and flight. Still goes high 200s when hit well off the tee. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tree Levino said:

LOTS of pros still in the OG stealth. I honestly thought the S2+ was absolutely crap. I’m a + and I can hit 3w really well I just did not like it at all. Feel and performance just were off. Still playing 915 Fd because it’s so consistent. Not the longest but easy to work and flight. Still goes high 200s when hit well off the tee. 

I'm in the same boat. Not a + handicap, but hit 3w relatively well all things considered. Both the S2+ and TSR3 I did not get along with. Currently trying the G430 lst. Depending how that goes may just game the OG stealth for a good while. The older FWs do seem more consistent in some ways, perhaps a consequence of chasing "hotter" FWs is less consistency.

8 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Lol. Just didn't give me the flight I was after. It had a very steep bar to climb...std aerojet. I had to try it because I said the a 16.5 s2+ could be the perfect 3w.

Trying paradym std 16.5 now. It's not looking good to take over either.

How many times have you written Cobra asking about a std aerojet HL version? Lol

Surprised no one is talking about how much deeper the face is on the Stealth 2 plus. I teach golf for a living, am a former D1 college player/touring professional, and found this 3 wood to be probably the hardest fairway wood to hit in a long time. Felt like I really had to hit way down on it off the deck to make a solid strike. 

let one of my solid juniors who’s committed to a D1 program for next fall hit it, and same thing. Lots of low on the face strikes. Went back to his rogue st fairway with a much more shallow face and was a super high flight. Even gave it to a 15 handicap on the range to try, and the guy couldn’t get it airborne, just absolute bullets. Hit his own G425 after (obviously opposite end of extreme as the ping fairways are probably the most shallow of any on the market) and could hit it fine. 

Just my own findings with it, but definitely was very different to me. Off the tee was great, but any sort of tight lie tended to be low on the face unless again I tried hard to get the AoA more down. 

Edited by HitBombs

28 minutes ago, HitBombs said:

Surprised no one is talking about how much deeper the face is on the Stealth 2 plus. I teach golf for a living, am a former D1 college player/touring professional, and found this 3 wood to be probably the hardest fairway wood to hit in a long time. Felt like I really had to hit way down on it off the deck to make a solid strike. 

let one of my solid juniors who’s committed to a D1 program for next fall hit it, and same thing. Lots of low on the face strikes. Went back to his rogue st fairway with a much more shallow face and was a super high flight. Even gave it to a 15 handicap on the range to try, and the guy couldn’t get it airborne, just absolute bullets. Hit his own G425 after (obviously opposite end of extreme as the ping fairways are probably the most shallow of any on the market) and could hit it fine. 

Just my own findings with it, but definitely was very different to me. Off the tee was great, but any sort of tight lie tended to be low on the face unless again I tried hard to get the AoA more down. 

I used it exclusively off the tee today, as I have no driver currently. Paired with Ventus TR Red it’s amazing with a tee, but off the deck I can’t get it higher than about 60/70 feet.

I don’t ever hit it off the deck, so it serves as a driver alternative perfectly for me.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2023 at 9:06 PM, HitBombs said:

This pretty much validates my feelings about it haha. I've now been pretty much exclusively hitting it off the tee and I can really relate to the hitting down on it to get it to launch. At times off the fairway, I had to try and hit it like an iron.