Remote lesson success

Z1ggy16

Has anyone has success working with a good coach via daily uploads to apps like CoachNow? 

I'm fortunate enough I can hit balls daily in my garage but Arccos tells me long game is keeping me at an 8hc, where I lose about 75-85% of my strokes. I tend to get steep and want to work to shallow properly but I realize this is a huge change and will take months to make an unconscious habit.

I have the opportunity to work with someone that I have seen in the past a few times in person from now until April for about $2500. I can send him unlimited videos and get feedback within 24hr but I'm slightly hesitant because it's not live feedback in that moment. 

I've gone to two other guys that are within a 45 minute drive but I didn't really jive with their methods. This current coach I've already started to see some small changes from two lessons via video chat, so I want to commit or just do nothing. 

Edit: update - I signed up for 3 months of unlimited coaching for $1100. I think to demonstrate the effectiveness of lack there of, maybe I'll post some progress pics and info along the way.

I played yesterday and lost 0 balls, shot 83 but was in a position to shoot 78 until I went into hardpan bunkers on 17 and 18. I'm a 7.5hc so I'd say it's already helping a bit. 

Edited by Z1ggy16

Plenty of people on here have had success using Monte and Dan.

Im sure some have worked with other people and have had success, I recall one or two using Mark Odenthal and having success with him.

I think it comes down to how well the student can take what the instructor is telling them and then incorporate that into their practice. Having unlimited access would help with that as you can send videos to make sure you are doing things correctly. But remote lessons can be successful for some. 

21 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Well it's unlimited communication by the app. Only so much you can do remote. 

So you've done this yourself?

I had 1 online lesson. I've al2wys done in person.

The key for online, imo, is to be able to get feedback, work on that feedback, and get confirmation via a new quick video review the next day. I would do online if I could do that. 

"You said less outside, is this where you want me?"

Instructor - "yeah, much better, but make sure you don't set the wrists back"...yadayada 

• Like 2

I was lucky enough to receive a few lessons from Monte Scheinblum a decade or so ago and he took me from near-beginner to breaking 80. 

I think his services are a bit more expensive these days but the man is a wizard. I don't know about other coaches but I imagine in your shoes I'd look for someone you have an opportunity to see in person at least once as well. 

I’ve had success with online lessons. I think you have to have a pretty good understanding of how to make changes, the golf swing in general and an understanding there will likely be a little more trial and error than in person. I don’t think it’s for everyone. 

For your scenario I don’t think that amount of $$$ is worth it. Swing changes take anywhere from 1-3/4 months on average for me so I don’t really see the value in investing that much. Think you’d be better off going another route. If you want to do online Dan Carraher (who I use) or Monte are both great. 

I've used online lessons pretty exclusively for the past 3 years in that format - submit swing, get feedback and drills, submit updates next week or 10 days, get more feedback. Took me from a 15 to a 5 over that period, but plateauing now and looking for a blended in person and online model.  Worked witha few different instructors over that period as inevitably we'd hit some wall or I'd sense that their effort level was waning a bit - I think a fair number of them show up really well to the first few interactions, then tail off a bit. I'd advise against multimonth upfront commitments. Basic psychology - gotta keep the prize 'at risk' a bit to ensure they are showing up with their best.

• Like 1

How often will you be sending in videos?

It seems like you'd have to be sending in videos once or twice a week, and be making meaningful progress between videos, in order to make it worth 2500.

Swing changes take time. If they're giving you something new to work on every couple of days that seems like too much. If they're telling you to keep working on the same thing they told you last week you might start wondering why you're spending all that money...

Maybe it would work great for you this way. If it were me I'd price out the cost for 1 or 2 online lessons per month until April + a camera and a tripod vs this constant supervision approach.

I have been using Skillest and having a lot of success. I nearly messed it up not monitoring my swing speed training last off season and took a couple steps back. Now that I know that and a better way to ingrain it has been going wonderful. Still a work in progress but progress in the right direction.

TL;DR Golf is hard and takes time

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

On 9/17/2023 at 5:39 AM, Z1ggy16 said:

Has anyone has success working with a good coach via daily uploads to apps like CoachNow? 

I'm fortunate enough I can hit balls daily in my garage but Arccos tells me long game is keeping me at an 8hc, where I lose about 75-85% of my strokes. I tend to get steep and want to work to shallow properly but I realize this is a huge change and will take months to make an unconscious habit.

I have the opportunity to work with someone that I have seen in the past a few times in person from now until April for about $2500. I can send him unlimited videos and get feedback within 24hr but I'm slightly hesitant because it's not live feedback in that moment. 

I've gone to two other guys that are within a 45 minute drive but I didn't really jive with their methods. This current coach I've already started to see some small changes from two lessons via video chat, so I want to commit or just do nothing. 

If you are going to do swing changes, submitting videos every week or two seems counter productive as you want your new feels to ingrain over time and they take time. $2500 is steep for 6 months IMO. I get a lesson pack of 3 lessons for about $250 and submit once every 4-6 weeks.

7 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

I have been using Skillest and having a lot of success. I nearly messed it up not monitoring my swing speed training last off season and took a couple steps back. Now that I know that and a better way to ingrain it has been going wonderful. Still a work in progress but progress in the right direction.

Who are you getting online lessons from?

Just now, kobe123 said:

Who are you getting online lessons from?

Jayson Nickol on Skillest

• Like 1

I have done online lessons and they are really only useful for me if there is some feedback. I would send in a checkup video about once or twice a week. Eventually you will be able to recognize the issues yourself 

$2500 for 6 months is very expensive. I can get 10 in person lessons from very good instructors for that amount 

TSr3  10* Tour AD VR 7x

TSr2+ 14.5* Tour AD TP 8x

TSr2 18* Tour AD TP 8x

u500 4, t100 5-PW, GW Dynamic Gold x100

SM8 54s, 60d Dynamic Gold s400

Scotty Classic Newport 

For roughly that same price, I get once a week 1 on 1 time for an hour or more, 2x a month athletic training, on course lessons, and a few other perks with one of the best instructors in my state.

That being said, $2,500 for 6 month of online only lessons is almost certainly not worth it IMO

Edited by rooski
  • Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       PING PLD DS72

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

@Z1ggy16

You've been around here at WRX for a while now, and you know the real answer to your question is "what's it worth to your game" to improve your long approach shots, which by the way are the most difficult category to improve.

I simply have to ask you a few questions that hopefully you've already asked yourself.

1. Are you willing to risk getting worse, to get better?

2. If this were Butch Harmon, or Pete Cowen, would it still be a question?

3. How well do you mesh with this individual?

4. Do you trust this guy?

There are plenty of golfers who have spent more money over time, attempting to get better, without success. It simply boils down how much it's worth to you personally to take a chance on improving from your current 8, to whatever this 6 months of unlimited instruction gives you.

Good luck man and let us know how it goes.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I would not be interested in any sort of subscription program like you're describing.

But I have done remote lessons (exchanging videos, not live) with my local teaching pro who I've known for years. Once a basis of understanding each other has been established, there's an awful lot of stuff that can be helpfully dealt with by me sending him videos of certain swings or positions or drill and him sending back short instructional clips for me to work on.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

20 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

What’s the difference in handicap from 18 months ago to now?

Normally "$2500 flat rate for 6 months" would be enough for me to run screaming. 

The *only* caveat to that would be that you said you have worked with this instructor in the past. If you REALLY worked well with the instructor, feel that they really know your game and you communicate very effectively, AND you're going to work your absolute butt off the entire 6 months, then maybe it makes sense. 

I do wonder how much live remote time you get in that $2500 on top of the unlimited video check-ins? Because I'd expect to see at least twice a month actual instruction to make it even remotely worth it. 

Seems pretty darn steep to me tho. I could subscribe to Monte's improvement plan, take two 1 hr live in-person lessons with him per month (he's local to me), and STILL not spend $2500 over 6 months. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I just recently started working with a coach on Skillest and for me personally absolutely love the format. I love being able to go back to the analysis / drill videos I received and really hone in on working with that specific information, keeps me from wandering down different thoughts / tweaks. 

For the cost I think you could do better IMO, and it'd be better to go month to month rather than do the lump sum up front. I think lessons / feedback are best garnered over 2 week periods, it's hard to make a meaningful change in a small time frame so unlimited access might not be worth it? 

3 hours ago, GoGoErky said:

What’s the difference in handicap from 18 months ago to now?

about 3 strokes. Most of this is self inflicted course management/ testing clubs here and there and not playing the optimal clubs for a hole and how i mentioned speed work messing me up in the middle. Mind you, the swing in the video (end swing) was after my latest lesson. It is by far not ingrained yet but getting there. Ask me more in 9 months where my handicap is. I have gone from struggling to break 100 to being on the cusp of breaking 90. Due to my distance off the tee, I usually play the back tees at my home course (6,300 yards). If I were to play up a set, I likely shoot lower scores slightly and lower my cap faster.

Edited by Rbsiedsc

5 hours ago, nitram said:

@Z1ggy16

You've been around here at WRX for a while now, and you know the real answer to your question is "what's it worth to your game" to improve your long approach shots, which by the way are the most difficult category to improve.

I simply have to ask you a few questions that hopefully you've already asked yourself.

1. Are you willing to risk getting worse, to get better?

2. If this were Butch Harmon, or Pete Cowen, would it still be a question?

3. How well do you mesh with this individual?

4. Do you trust this guy?

There are plenty of golfers who have spent more money over time, attempting to get better, without success. It simply boils down how much it's worth to you personally to take a chance on improving from your current 8, to whatever this 6 months of unlimited instruction gives you.

Good luck man and let us know how it goes.

So update is, we negotiated to 3 months flat, unlimited videos uploads/comms for $1100. 

To answer you specifically 

1 - yes, I've been down this path with one other swing change and I got West way worse for about 3-4 weeks then improved.

2 - nope

3 - he's very nice, I like him as a coach quite a bit and I like that he demonstrates with his own swing what he wants to see. 

4 - yes, I know a player who had the chance to work with some other coaches in the area but chose this instructor instead. They even have YouTube videos show casing the lessons so you can see the progress in real time. 

• Like 1

not worth it at all for online. Could have taken in person lesson with a very good instructor at a high rate of $250 an hour every 3 weeks over the 3 months and saved 100 bucks.

When you are taking in person lessons with an instructor, they will allow you to send a follow up video after the lessons anyway for feedback.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 93tilInfinity said:

Monte’s improvement plan is absurdly good value and highly effective. I can’t imagine not having it.

https://rebelliongolf.com/improvement-plan/

Now this is VERY interesting. The price is reasonable and the instructor is impeccable. Thanks for posting this.  dave