2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

PXG 0317 T - Impressions and Discussion

Soccerrick10

6 hours ago, HarborMike said:

Yes, he left for good (on his own terms) right when they did the full rebrand from TXG to CC during the summer. Just said it wasn’t for him and not what he wanted envisioned in his future with the direction of the company after the rebrand. So decided to leave and is now doing his own channel. Good for him!

Agreed, would never get fit nor pay for PXG clubs at a CC. CC per its business model price gouges. Even if you get stock shafts (included for free at PXG and other OEMs), CC charges full price and above retail per shafts. Not to get to deep in the weeds here, but there’s several forums about CC here.

Love the fact that when I was fitted and purchased my 0317Ts and Gen 6 Ps, they weren’t pushy at all. With my heroes discount, was basically fit for free (even though they could’ve charged but didn’t since I purchased), recommended stock shafts over premium aftermarket ones. Also, during my wedge fitting between the cheaper 0311 forged vs. Sugar Daddy’s, they said that I hit both of them the same in terms of performance and numbers. Just said when deciding just came to personal preference and up to me either way. At the end, don’t push me in sale either, just asked politely “what do you think?”. I’ve also observed other customers during a PXG fitting said they’d need to think about it or declined. Fitter responses were basically, “no problem, we have your data saved whenever you feel like purchasing.”

Ok, I digress, back to 0317 T stuff. Some more feedback: put in some more rounds this week in cold weather. Was a bit rusty from 2-3 weeks of travel. Still put up solid scores and found these crazy forgiving for squattier players head profile. They just don’t like being hit by the hosel with face slightly open, but then again almost no club does. Performed great on toe strikes, low hits, and even on hits between hosel and middle. I don’t really have opinion on strikes too high on the face since I barely if not at all have that issue. I barely take deep divots (more so shallow to medium divots).

What I especially like (vs. Gen 6 P set):

- Automatic feedback I’m getting as soon as I hit the shot.
- Didn’t really see any loss in performance in the cold weather either or moreso no more than normal in typical cold windy climate.

- Just about all of my balls on decent, normal, good strikes, were next to or right on top of my ball divots on the green. There were some anomalies that were further away, but more to do with slope of the green.

- Workability is outstanding. I mainly try to hit right to left on approach shots, and the 0317Ts excelled. Just as good on straight shots too and left to right (which I only occasionally play).

- Feel is still amazing on well struck shots. Hard to believe they could achieve forged feeling with multi material/hollow body construction, but they did. 
- No fliers to report on yet. Only flown the green a small amount of times, but mainly due to my swing changes and flushing it pure (been increasing my distances lately, so on me to dial distances in).

Next month will be breaking these for first time destination trip (Bandon courses). Will report how these do outside my comfort zone 😉

Everything you mentioned is exactly what you get when playing the Gen 6 Ps also as you get automatic feedback as soon as you hit your shot, etc, etc as it would pretty much come down to which one is the easiest to hit especially when you don’t have you best swing going for you. I would be willing to think that the Gen 6 Ps would be a bit more forgiving at least for more of the recreational golfer

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

2 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Everything you mentioned is exactly what you get when playing the Gen 6 Ps also as you get automatic feedback as soon as you hit your shot, etc, etc as it would pretty much come down to which one is the easiest to hit especially when you don’t have you best swing going for you. I would be willing to think that the Gen 6 Ps would be a bit more forgiving at least for more of the recreational golfer

Sounds like the Gen 6 P could be the one for you. It’s a great club, fits a lot of players. I like it a lot. I would agree it is probably best overall in the PXG lineup for the recreational golfer. Kind of a Goldilocks iron. It is going to best fit a player who mishits horizontally on the face as that player benefits from a longer heel to toe profile.

But fitters will tell you that some players, and I am in this group, will hit a more compact blade length better. I’ve tested it again and again. Did it in my PXG fitting. I am definitely more consistent with irons that have a bit of a squat look from address. For me the P won’t be more forgiving because I’m not in need of what it offers vs the T. My consistency is best with the T and it showed in the numbers. So I think that players who have a pretty solid iron game will find the T offers all the forgiveness they need and a larger profile won’t automatically bring more just due to it offering a larger hitting area. I’m not saying the T is particularly small. It’s not, to me it’s a comfortable, flag-hunting size. But matching your game to the correct size head is an important part of fitting. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

3 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Sounds like the Gen 6 P could be the one for you. It’s a great club, fits a lot of players. I like it a lot. I would agree it is probably best overall in the PXG lineup for the recreational golfer. Kind of a Goldilocks iron. It is going to best fit a player who mishits horizontally on the face as that player benefits from a longer heel to toe profile.

But fitters will tell you that some players, and I am in this group, will hit a more compact blade length better. I’ve tested it again and again. Did it in my PXG fitting. I am definitely more consistent with irons that have a bit of a squat look from address. For me the P won’t be more forgiving because I’m not in need of what it offers vs the T. My consistency is best with the T and it showed in the numbers. So I think that players who have a pretty solid iron game will find the T offers all the forgiveness they need and a larger profile won’t automatically bring more just due to it offering a larger hitting area. I’m not saying the T is particularly small. It’s not, to me it’s a comfortable, flag-hunting size. But matching your game to the correct size head is an important part of fitting. 

💯 in agreement with these points. I too fall in the category of needing a more compact and thinner sole. I’m not at all saying Gen 6 Ps are a bad iron, I just fit into the 0317Ts. In fact, when I was originally fitted into the Gen 6 P, the fitter was subtly trying to steer me toward the 0317CBs at the end of the fitting (0317Ts weren’t available yet), but I opted for the Gen 6 Ps for the extra tech and forgiveness. However, just found myself too inconsistent and trying to conform to the club rather than the club conforming to me and my swing. Forgiveness is definitely a very subjective discussion topic and everyone has their own definitions and viewpoints what forgiveness is to them. I’m a pretty consistent and good ball striker with my irons so don’t need the extra blade length and chunkier sole, which actually hinders my game. So many times when looking down at a chunkier/bigger head, I’m subconsciously thinking that I have to dial down my swing with the Gen 6 Ps or else I’m either flying the green or going to thin it especially in the shorter irons. Also doesn’t help my game on links course or dry conditions with my shallow delivery thinking the bigger sole is going to bounce early into the ball if I don’t steepen my swing. With the 0317Ts, I just don’t have that fear and can freely swing and consistently get the expected results I want and flag hunt all day especially in the mid to short iron approach shots. 

• Like 2

I did a fitting at the headquarters last week and I'm really impressed with the 0317t. I'll be ordering a set sometime in December when the xtreme dark are back in stock. My only concern is all my current wedges are on the lower bounce side between 6*-10* and the set PW is 14*. What are the rest of you guys doing who normally play a lower bounce wedge? 

10 minutes ago, badandbogey said:

I did a fitting at the headquarters last week and I'm really impressed with the 0317t. I'll be ordering a set sometime in December when the xtreme dark are back in stock. My only concern is all my current wedges are on the lower bounce side between 6*-10* and the set PW is 14*. What are the rest of you guys doing who normally play a lower bounce wedge? 

You’re overthinking it. Use the best wedge for the job in each slot. You might play packed bunkers but soft fairways. You might need a certain wedge in your SW spot for chipping at your home course. Just because you have high bounce irons doesn’t have any bearing on your wedge bounce or grind choices. 

• Like 2

During my fitting my numbers were better with the 0317T than the 0311P however once I got outdoor (off mats) is when I noticed the issue with the thin, sharp sole.  At first I chalked it up to being cold and damp in Minnesota but then I spent a week in warm and dry Texas but had the same digging issues…don’t get me wrong the 0317T is great but I’m just not good enough at a 7-8 with iron play being my biggest weakness…

2 hours ago, Wallstreet1978 said:

During my fitting my numbers were better with the 0317T than the 0311P however once I got outdoor (off mats) is when I noticed the issue with the thin, sharp sole.  At first I chalked it up to being cold and damp in Minnesota but then I spent a week in warm and dry Texas but had the same digging issues…don’t get me wrong the 0317T is great but I’m just not good enough at a 7-8 with iron play being my biggest weakness…

Mats mask hitting the ball heavy. You’re most likely too steep. These irons have a healthy amount of bounce —7 degrees in 5 iron and up to 12 degrees in the 9 and 14 in the PW — so if you’re hitting a little behind the ball a little wider sole might help

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Mats mask hitting the ball heavy. You’re most likely too steep. These irons have a healthy amount of bounce —7 degrees in 5 iron and up to 12 degrees in the 9 and 14 in the PW — so if you’re hitting a little behind the ball a little wider sole might help

Yeah, certainly could be though I’m historically a sweeper.  It’s interesting that the 0317T actually has more bounce than the 0311P in the 9-GW.  Like I said great irons just not for me and that’s okay.  I don’t see myself playing anything but PXG irons for a long while but you never know…

19 minutes ago, Soccerrick10 said:

That’s because many of us are freezing our butts off this winter. 🥶 

Indoor starts next week for us…

42* here today when I walked 9 holes. And the ball was not going very far. 

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

4 hours ago, JB lefty said:

Just bit the bullet and ordered a set 5-GW with KBS TourV shafts X flex. Same shafts and specs as my Gen 4 0311t. Now the delivery wait begins.  

I’’m interested in hearing your thoughts. I also went from Gen4 0311T to 0317T. 

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

10 hours ago, realmfg said:

I got the 6i and 5i T to blend into my CBs.  They feel super nice, but I like the CBs better.  I just like how the CBs look and for some reason I am more accurate with the CBs, even in the 6/5i spots.  

This right here. Couldn't agree more! We always discuss our pxg experience lol I purchased the 5 iron in the T to combo with my CB and I just do not like it as much. Even have trouble hitting it for some reason. I hit my CB 5 iron just fine. They just suit me better for some reason. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Hot Rod 71 said:

I’’m interested in hearing your thoughts. I also went from Gen4 0311T to 0317T. 

You can't say that and then not tell how you have found the change.  Did you go same specs or different? How is the head between them. 

I will post my thoughts and  how they go in comparison once I get them and get a few rounds under my belt.  

I had the opposite reaction to some posters on the CB. I liked it but did not like it nearly as much as thr 0317T. My Trackman numbers were better and definitely more consistent with the T. The difference in ball speed retention on mishits is noticeable. Looks wise they’re both fine. 

If I had hit the CB just as well I would have considered it but I decided the 0317T being better on misses is something I’d be happy to have when I am playing golf instead of launch monitor. 

• Like 1

Interesting feedbacks here.  I’ve been playing 2 actually 3 sets of clubs lately.  Recently I’ve put Titleist t150 combo set in bag of t150, 200 and a 5 iron 350.   Worked well.  I also have a combo set of PXG cb/t combo.  My question and dilemma is I’m not keeping both.  Time to trade in one or other.  Titleist feel very very good and have been playing good rounds.  I’m an 8 hcp.  PXG also feels amazing soft pure.  Has anyone here put these two head to head?   I need to find an unbiased pro on track man to just look at my numbers.  PXG I bought at my local PXG store.  Can’t go there.   Titleist I bought at CC. can’t go there either.  PXG appears to give me a tad more distance.   Titleist clearly flies higher but not losing all that much distance compared.   What has kept Titleist in the bag for me and very surprising has been the 5 iron t350.   It’s a chunky easy to hit off the deck cannon.  My 5 iron with PXG is the T.  It’s good but Titleist is just so stupidly easy to crunch and smash along w the t200 6 iron i game.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Interesting feedbacks here.  I’ve been playing 2 actually 3 sets of clubs lately.  Recently I’ve put Titleist t150 combo set in bag of t150, 200 and a 5 iron 350.   Worked well.  I also have a combo set of PXG cb/t combo.  My question and dilemma is I’m not keeping both.  Time to trade in one or other.  Titleist feel very very good and have been playing good rounds.  I’m an 8 hcp.  PXG also feels amazing soft pure.  Has anyone here put these two head to head?   I need to find an unbiased pro on track man to just look at my numbers.  PXG I bought at my local PXG store.  Can’t go there.   Titleist I bought at CC. can’t go there either.  PXG appears to give me a tad more distance.   Titleist clearly flies higher but not losing all that much distance compared.   What has kept Titleist in the bag for me and very surprising has been the 5 iron t350.   It’s a chunky easy to hit off the deck cannon.  My 5 iron with PXG is the T.  It’s good but Titleist is just so stupidly easy to crunch and smash along w the t200 6 iron i game.  

Talk to me about the 7-PW… how die the 0317T and 150 compare? How are they in size to look at address?

Sorry I can’t help with your questions. 

• Like 1

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 12/3/2023 at 3:32 PM, ALIF said:

I have some of the GEN 4 0311 T , and wondering if you notice a big difference and if so what is it?

20 hours ago, JB lefty said:

You can't say that and then not tell how you have found the change.  Did you go same specs or different? How is the head between them. 

I will post my thoughts and  how they go in comparison once I get them and get a few rounds under my belt.  

I did a mini review earlier in this thread, comparing the 0317T and the Gen 4 0311T. Page 13, post 3. 

Edited by Hot Rod 71
  • Like 1

PXG Bat Attack H

11 hours ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Sorry, I can only compare the T100S vs 0317T (which I’ve already done here in details on this thread). Overall, both are great sets and similar with your observations on the T150 vs. 0317, the 0317 have a slightly lower piercing ball flight vs. higher ball flight with the T100S, but not really any loss of distance. Dispersion difference is slight as well.

For what it’s worth, since I’ve been gaming the 0317T (September), they’ve never left the bag nor do I have any desire or wandering eye. What’s been keeping them in the bag vs T100S, is a bit more confidence at address and less demanding especially in the mid to long irons while not really sacrificing anything in the short irons. I’m not sacrificing ball to turf interaction either, which for me is one of the main factors. Played and tried too many sets where all the numbers were great in the fitting bay and mat, but once on the course, the results weren’t the same and varied especially if it was a thick sole and so called more forgiving iron (ex 0311P). Also, with Northwest winter conditions, ideal lower ball flight with the 0317Ts.

My suggestion for non-biased and more objective observations, is to find a swing instructor that has a trackman set up. My local swing instructor was able to do some observations and comparisons and validated the 0317Ts were an ideal perfect fit for me based on the numbers vs. T100S. I’ve also brought both same irons (PW, 9i, 7i, 5i) during a few rounds by myself at my local club and compared using the same type of ball. I find course testing way more beneficial vs. hitting off a mat and geeking out on numbers and metrics on the launch monitor. 

Edited by HarborMike

Very helpful thank you.  Agree.  The T150, 200 & 350 clearly are higher launching irons (for me) than my 0317T’s. Un questionable.   The overall feel is splitting hairs really.  Soft, crisp, beautiful feeling irons.   What has swayed me slightly (for now) and I was very surprised, the 5 iron T350 I’ve gamed.   Didn’t expect this.   The club has been so easy to hit off the deck and an absolute cannon for me which is why I’ve kept my blended set of Titleist in my bag for now.  However, in my shorter irons I seem to get more out of 0317T’s than my 7-PW T150’s.  That has been clear.  I do have an 0311XP 5 iron which I’ve been going back and forth with, tinkering still with that club.  Love/hate.   Its a more penetrating flight than my T350 which on many shots is nice but sometimes when attacking greens the ball doesn’t stick compared to T350.  This clearly is due to lower descent angles/ball flight.   The solution (for now) for me might be to keep the T350 5 iron in the bag and simply play the 0317T for rest.  Best of both worlds.  I’m very curious to see what PXG does when Gen 7 launches, hoping soon.  If I remember they launched Gen 6 March 2023.   I have to believe their getting ready along with Sugar Daddy III wedges which should be very interesting.  I need new wedges, badly and Vokey is out the door this go around for me.  Done with them.  I know its totally doable, I’m hoping when Gen 7 launches they focus on blending sets and please for the love of God, PXG please come out with all Chrome/Black irons.   The new all chrome 0311 is gorgeous.  I get the whole black/chrome look/vibe they’ve produced but I dont like it.   Stick with all chrome or black, make the irons look beautiful and timeless.  Titleist did it, so should they.   It’s 1/2 the battle.  Finally, if anyone at PXG is reading this, could you please come out with a silver center back weight we could buy to insert into he back of the 0317T’s.  All silver 0317T would be insane.  I’ve seen some instagram pics of this, looks like maybe in Japan?  The clubs look absolutely beautiful.

IMG_4612.png

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mtnbiker5 said:

PXG please come out with all Chrome/Black irons.  

This is supposed to be the case. All future releases will be either all chrome or all black.

• Like 2

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra 

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

On 12/5/2023 at 9:43 AM, SEP1006 said:

This is supposed to be the case. All future releases will be either all chrome or all black.

Make the weights any color they want - just make the damn things replaceable by mere mortals without a trip back to the mothership.  THAT is my only complaint left that PXG hasn’t addressed.  My Gen 5 T’s were only a snug fit.  The CB’s and T’s won’t budge.  I own the clubs, I should be able to replace grips, shafts and weights as I see fit.  They don’t have to warranty them if I do.  But, come on already….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soccerrick10 said:

Make the weights any color they want - just make the damn things replaceable by mere mortals without a trip back to the mothership.  THAT is my only complaint left that PXG hasn’t addressed.  My Gen 5 T’s were only a snug fit.  The CB’s and T’s won’t budge.  I own the clubs, I should be able to replace grips, shafts and weights as I see fit.  They don’t have to warranty them if I do.  But, come on already….

Did you try heating them a little? The thread lock they use may require it. 

As an amateur club builder I like to tinker a lot. I too would like to have the ability to remove the weights without sending them back to PXG.  

PXG Bat Attack H

2 hours ago, Soccerrick10 said:

I've changed the weights on a couple sets of my irons. Just used a little heat directly on the screw and they came out pretty easy. When I replaced them I used the blue loctite.

• Like 2

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra 

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

On both the CB’s and T’s, heat did NOTHING to help release the weight.  The Gen 5’s came out with just mild heat.  After the poor experience with the CB,, there was no way I was going to add that amount of heat to a polymer club.

My “guy” said they were getting more aggressive in making sure no customer adjustments could be made. 🤯