2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

NEW!! PXG Tour 0311 Drivers

BirdieBob

6 hours ago, jrice19 said:

Hola amigos from coldy Arizona…for now. I went for my fitting at PXG Headquarters today.  First, Black Ops is literally the best driver PXG has ever made…period. I currently have the Gen 6 (I also had the proto driver) and compared heads only. The shaft I am using is the Tensi White 65x at 44.5” (6 ft tall) and I will not change it. 

Anyway, during my fitting we focused just on the heads. I warmed up with my irons and finally hit my current driver. I would like to preface I am a 2.5 handicap in the summer but do not play much during the winter due to cost and too many tourists (long rounds too). My swing speed right now is around 110mph but summer it is bit higher (due to playing three times per week vs. now it is mainly range sessions). The max I got out my Gen 6 head today was 157mph ballspeed and my dispersion was decent. The reason was the head was too light. 

The fitter added a 12.5 gram weight in the back and 7.5 in the other two spots (I think) with a 9 degree head turned down to 7.25. The reason, my miss is in the heal and the way driver is setup will help reduce my spin but increased my ball speed over Gen6. When I hit the sweet spot my ball speed increased to 162 mph. My best swing with my old driver was 157 mph today. Again, I did not have my best stuff. Unreal! 

Overall, Black Ops driver has better feel, forgiveness is much improved and faster ball speeds. My fitter increased the weight in the head due to my shaft length and my misses were so much better overall. The customization is second to none and I am very happy with my results.

The looks is solid (I like the mat look better), shape is nice but the feel is best. They did not have the tour head at this time so I could not test it but the fitter did say the ball speeds are even higher (2-3mph). PXG did it again!

Note: I also bought the 3-wood (I have the proto) and the feel and ball speed is much improved. Solid! 

Agree on fairway woods. The look and feel are excellent on Black Ops.  Good review which just solidifies PXG’s core belief from Parsons that they wont release something new unless it’s significantly better than the old.  They certainly have done that with this product launch.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 10:35 AM, mtnbiker5 said:

Agree on fairway woods. The look and feel are excellent on Black Ops.  Good review which just solidifies PXG’s core belief from Parsons that they wont release something new unless it’s significantly better than the old.  They certainly have done that with this product launch.  

I like that philosophy, but there weren’t really massive steps between Gens 4, 5 and 6 in the real world. On paper, maybe. 

Good to hear about the utility though. I thought they’d have to add something like that to their range, and if the pics I’ve seen are accurate it gives a good visual consistency through the range. 

3 hours ago, Wayside said:

I like that philosophy, but there weren’t really massive steps between Gens 4, 5 and 6 in the real world. On paper, maybe. 

Good to hear about the utility though. I thought they’d have to add something like that to their range, and if the pics I’ve seen are accurate it gives a good visual consistency through the range. 

currently play the gen5 standard but have hit all of the models. I owned the proto, 4, and 5. Fit for the 6 but wasn’t much better for me than the 5. In my opinion and this is just based off my swing, but the 4 was lower spin and less forgiving than the 5. The 6 sat right between the 4 and 5 and the black ops is a much better 6. I was fit for the black ops Friday and loved it. It spun 500 rpm’s less than the 5 with my shaft. Ball speed was up 4-5 mph. The only problem is I kept heeling everything. It occurred to me today that I play heavier weights in the 5. About 5 total to be exact. I was fit into the standard weights and not sure how if I change them how that will affect my numbers, or moi or the heel strike. I guess I was just too excited about the driver. I couldn’t stop hitting it. 😡 

Edited by Aucaveman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, StillCantPutt said:

Any news on replacement Sugar Daddy wedges?

I've heard 2 different things. 1, they were just going to add more bounce options and the other was a completely new wedge. I'm hoping for the latter. Would like to see them go back to a more traditional option without the full face. Hoping we hear something soon.

2023 WITB: 

PXG Black Ops 9* Driver w/ LA Golf A-Series Low

PXG Black Ops 3 & 5 Wood w/ LA Golf A-Series Mid

PXG GEN4 ST Irons, 4-PW w/ Project X I/O 6.0

Titleist SM10 RAW Wedgeworks, 52,56,60

LAB Golf DF3, 34"/69* w/ Presse Pistol 2 Degree

PXG Xtreme Golf Ball

2 hours ago, Dirty.Birdie said:

I've heard 2 different things. 1, they were just going to add more bounce options and the other was a completely new wedge. I'm hoping for the latter. Would like to see them go back to a more traditional option without the full face. Hoping we hear something soon.

The full face is nice for 56 and 60 but can't imagine any reason for it to be on the lessor lofted wedges.  The guys at the Orlando store were making custom grinds for their personal Sugar Daddy's because the ground is so tight and firm here, you need as little bounce as possible to play most of the year. 

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

5 hours ago, Dirty.Birdie said:

I've heard 2 different things. 1, they were just going to add more bounce options

For what it's worth, this is what I was told as well.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTER -   LAB MEZZ MAX Blue head w/white Accra

LAB MEZZ MAX Red head w/black Accra
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

Hopefully its not already posted so I'll leave this here....

Enjoy PXG guys 👍

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

On 1/15/2024 at 6:27 PM, mtnbiker5 said:

My new driving iron is on order as we speak should have next week.  Bombs…. Insane club,  It’s an enigma.   

Any idea when they'll be on the site? 

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder 661 Evolution  IV X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (3) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

Testing the Black Ops driver on Jan. 30 and testing the AI Smoke and Qi10 the next day. Current driver is Paradym Triple D. Should be fun. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 hour ago, SEP1006 said:

Did a fitting this morning with the Black Ops. Definitely not a fit for me as they couldn't any shaft / head combo to beat out my Gen 4 with the Autoflex. I DID NOT like the look of the glossy crown at all.

My current Driver - My swing speed averages 91 - 93 and ball speed was averaging 130 - 133. Spin rate was 2200 - 2350 and I hit up on the ball at 1.5*. Smash Factor was 1.43

Black Ops was very spinny for me with multiple shafts, weights and flexes. Best ball speed I got was 127 tops. Tried several of the Graphite Design, Tensei and Project X shafts.

Put the Black Ops head in my Autoflex and spin was 4500 - 5000, obviously that was a no go.

Looks like the G4 wins again. G5, G6 and now the Black Ops out of the way. But darn I want to buy a new driver.

I just don't like the larger head design compared to the Tour-1 which is more compact looking. Called store a couple days ago seeing if they had demo and was to old early February, but site says shipping Jan. 29th another in-store person told me late January as well. My Aerojet LS unseated PXG last summer and I'm still hitting it great, so I sold my Gen4/Gen5/Gen6 this week and ordered a Darkspeed LS to play around with for a while. It's been a long time since I haven't had PXG drivers in my stable. Unlike the Tour-1, the Darkspeed is available to hit, and after hitting it I pulled the trigger. I guess it pays to have your product available! I'll eventually circle back around to the Tour-1 and maybe a Black Ops Fairway later this year.

1 hour ago, snagy2000 said:

I just don't like the larger head design compared to the Tour-1 which is more compact looking. Called store a couple days ago seeing if they had demo and was to old early February, but site says shipping Jan. 29th another in-store person told me late January as well. My Aerojet LS unseated PXG last summer and I'm still hitting it great, so I sold my Gen4/Gen5/Gen6 this week and ordered a Darkspeed LS to play around with for a while. It's been a long time since I haven't had PXG drivers in my stable. Unlike the Tour-1, the Darkspeed is available to hit, and after hitting it I pulled the trigger. I guess it pays to have your product available! I'll eventually circle back around to the Tour-1 and maybe a Black Ops Fairway later this year.

Fitter told me today first week of February. But he also told me that based on my numbers today he didn't think he could beat it.

3 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

Did a fitting this morning with the Black Ops. Definitely not a fit for me as they couldn't any shaft / head combo to beat out my Gen 4 with the Autoflex. I DID NOT like the look of the glossy crown at all.

My current Driver - My swing speed averages 91 - 93 and ball speed was averaging 130 - 133. Spin rate was 2200 - 2350 and I hit up on the ball at 1.5*. Smash Factor was 1.43

Black Ops was very spinny for me with multiple shafts, weights and flexes. Best ball speed I got was 127 tops. Tried several of the Graphite Design, Tensei and Project X shafts.

Put the Black Ops head in my Autoflex and spin was 4500 - 5000, obviously that was a no go.

Looks like the G4 wins again. G5, G6 and now the Black Ops out of the way. But darn I want to buy a new driver.

When are the Gen7 drivers coming? Or are the Black Ops taking that place?

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

2 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

When are the Gen7 drivers coming? Or are the Black Ops taking that place?

Haven't heard a word on Gen 7 Drivers.

On 1/21/2024 at 6:10 PM, snagy2000 said:

Never hurts to “not buy” something.. or does it? Ended up with my buddies black ops (standard driver) and it really performed well. pretty similar flight as my G6 but a bit less spin and much less curve on mis hits. I really hit some great drives, ended up carry some bunkers I haven’t with my G6. This was the non-tour version mind you, I would endanger the wildlife with the tour head I’m sure.

The 2 downsides for me:

My buddy called it a dinner plate 😂. It definitely has a larger front to back footprint. I also much prefer the matte but got over it quickly with the results of driving. I also felt like it appeared to have some offset. I always have preferred a 10.5 opened 1/2 notches to get me to 9* or there about. It definitely has a neutral/close even open a notch. So shape/finish/offset appearance.

But again it really performed. I also got a 3 wood to try with it but didn’t have any shots with it. Overall I’m pretty impressed, but look forward to seeing it on the LM. Shaft is Ventus Blue but I also have a Ventus black in route so looking forward to some range time this weekend. 

• Like 2

• Like 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8* and 9*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Got a look at the new drivers in the Virginia store. I am a fan of the looks and the gloss finish. It looks very premium and has some nice angles. Really I like it better than their past heads. The matte gets old with me, looks like something that was primed but never painted.

My driver testing all occurs next week. Smoke, Qi10 also in the mix. Maybe a few more. Looking forward to trying the Black Ops, which is getting its own test session. I would say the standard head in shape is like they blended a Callaway and Ping head. Bigger than the Tour but I wouldn’t call it a dinner plate at all. I like how it sets up. 

Both heads have appeal, depends on what you’re looking for. A fitter did tell me many players can go to a lower lofted head in the standard because it launches higher than previous models. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• Like 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8* and 9*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

This driver looks to be a no-brainer with the heroes discount.  I have not seen 1 bad review for it.  

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym AI Smoke 💎💎💎 Max, 9 deg; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2