2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Players Iron buying advice

machosallad

Hi all,

Need some guidance in the players irons jungle.
Current situation: I've gamed Cobra Forged Tecs for around 5-600 rounds, these irons are pretty much worn out and I'm in the market for new irons. I've recently bought a set of T100S Black Edition (2021 version) but I'm not 100% convinced that they're the best fit for me. I like the T100S overall but I have some issues with them, issues being:

• Not 100% pleased with consistency distance-wise, they feel at times a little bit too hot off the face and I'm not in love with the ball flight at times
  • Turf interaction feels a bit off sometimes, my own theory around this is that they seem to have a lower bounce and less camber than my Cobras - which is not optimal since I'm pretty steep into the ball
  • Not really comfortable with the black finish, I've realized that I'm more of a purist in terms of looks

Some data & specs:

Handicap around 3, would say that I'm an average ball striker for 3 hcp
Swing speed around 93-94 mph with 7i
Both the Forged Tecs and T100S's are equipped with DG X100 Tour Issue
I hit the ball pretty steep, too steep at times, around -7* AoA

For some reason the Titleist spin less than the Cobras despite having more loft (32* vs 30* loft).

So, all in all, I'm leaning towards selling my T100S set and replacing them with another set. Been looking into Ping i230, Titleist T150, Mizuno 223, perhaps Srixon ZX7 mkii(?). Absolutely in love with the looks of Ping Blueprints but I'm afraid they're a little bit too punishing on mishits. 

Any advice?

G430 Max 10K 10.5 / Ventus TR Black 6X
G425 Max 17.5 / Smoke RDX Red 6.5
Forged Tec 4i DG X100 TI
iBlade 4-PW / DG X100 TI
Vokey SM9 Raw / 50.12 56.10 62.08 DG X7 8i Spinners
PLD Anser 2

First of all, Welcome to GolfWRX !

I play Blueprints and don't find them any more punishing than most anything else on your list. As a 3 'cap you shouldn't have a problem, just give 'em a try. I have two guys I knock it around with, and they've moved from T100 to the T150, and love them. I've hit them a few times but still prefer my BP's.

Just go somewhere you can try all you want and select which one best suits your criteria. Patience is truly a virtue and will serve you well in your quest.

Good luck and again, welcome aboard.

• Like 3

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

15 minutes ago, nitram said:

First of all, Welcome to GolfWRX !

I play Blueprints and don't find them any more punishing than most anything else on your list. As a 3 'cap you shouldn't have a problem, just give 'em a try. I have two guys I knock it around with, and they've moved from T100 to the T150, and love them. I've hit them a few times but still prefer my BP's.

Just go somewhere you can try all you want and select which one best suits your criteria. Patience is truly a virtue and will serve you well in your quest.

Good luck and again, welcome aboard.

Thanks a lot! I've spent way too much time here already to not be a member 😄

Sounds promising. Blueprints seem rare to find to try out within a reasonable radius from me, but I'll give it a try. Have you tried i230s as well?

A thought crossed my mind that I could go for a combo set with i230 4-6i, Blueprint 7-PW. That would however require some custom work since the Blueprints first and foremost are shorter than the i230, and I'd have to look over the loft/distance gapping. 

Forged Tec 4i DG X100 TI
iBlade 4-PW / DG X100 TI
PLD Anser 2

I've hit the 230's but honestly never gave them a chance because they didn't appeal to me. Great idea but the flange was a no go, for me. I'm really looking forward to the Blueprint S & T. Now that'll make a helluva combo set!

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I play the Ping iblades (still!?) and love everything about them. I think they would make an excellent addition to the bag if you can find them with the right shafts for you--should also be a great price. . I dabbled in i210 for a while too, (and I assume the i230) and they were excellent as well. Otherwise, I have always liked the Taylormade 770 line. They are so forgiving and look the part. If I had to get a new iron...I would probably go that route. But like the Iblades and they do everything they should and then some! And I like saving the money, not needing new irons. I Spend it looking for a putter many times over! haha

• Like 1

I can't draw any real conclusions - I need more data - but I've heard this complaint about the T100s before. 

My theory is...the idea of a "players club" with jacked lofts seems like an engineering oxymoron to me. They seem to produce knuckle balls. 

With your HDCP, you don't need distance. Less loft through the set should get those spin numbers more where they need to be.

In other words, if you go i230 - don't go Powerspec. 

Just one human being's non-gendered opinion. 

Edited by jholz
  • Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

1 minute ago, jholz said:

I can't draw any real conclusions - I need more data - but I've heard this complaint about the T100s before. 

My theory is...the idea of a "players club" with jacked lofts seems like an engineering oxymoron to me. They seem to produce knuckle balls. 

With your HDCP, you don't need distance. Less loft through the set should get those spin numbers more where they need to be.

I’ve played most of those irons, or demod a set.

spins from high to low.  
ping i230

t100s/t150

ping blueprint

big drop

mizuno 223

zx7

t100s/150 aren’t generally low spin irons for their loft.  In fact they are designed to increase ball speed and maintain spin.  For the over 90pmh folks t100 tend to work better.

I would second the i230 recommendation.  If you find they spin too much and apex too high you can power spec them.

zx7 and 223 tend to kill spin, so if t100s doesn’t spin enough I doubt those two will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jholz said:

My original thought with the T100S was that they could hopefully reduce spin a bit since I hit the ball very high. They seem to do the trick but obviously my train of thought was wrong since I'm not a huge fan of the ball flight with them. In addition to this I received a great offer for the set so I thought that I could test them out and if they're not my cup of tea, I'll just sell them. 

Spin with my Cobras is around 7000 rpm (around 1k less with t100s) with a 7i which is jacked at 30* loft as well as 37.25" length, it's basically a spinny 6 iron. Nothing seems to make sense 😁

I'll make sure to try i230 std spec and see how it works out.

1 hour ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I’ve played most of those irons, or demod a set.

spins from high to low.  
ping i230

t100s/t150

ping blueprint

big drop

mizuno 223

zx7

t100s/150 aren’t generally low spin irons for their loft.  In fact they are designed to increase ball speed and maintain spin.  For the over 90pmh folks t100 tend to work better.

I would second the i230 recommendation.  If you find they spin too much and apex too high you can power spec them.

zx7 and 223 tend to kill spin, so if t100s doesn’t spin enough I doubt those two will.

Thank you, seems promising - I'm happy with the T100S for most shots however I think that they're too inconsistent for my liking (highly probable that I'm the problem and not the club) in terms of spin/flight. 

I'll try to demo the i230 asap as well as the blueprints.

Forged Tec 4i DG X100 TI
iBlade 4-PW / DG X100 TI
PLD Anser 2

6 minutes ago, machosallad said:

My original thought with the T100S was that they could hopefully reduce spin a bit since I hit the ball very high. They seem to do the trick but obviously my train of thought was wrong since I'm not a huge fan of the ball flight with them. In addition to this I received a great offer for the set so I thought that I could test them out and if they're not my cup of tea, I'll just sell them. 

Spin with my Cobras is around 7000 rpm (around 1k less with t100s) with a 7i which is jacked at 30* loft as well as 37.25" length, it's basically a spinny 6 iron. Nothing seems to make sense 😁

I'll make sure to try i230 std spec and see how it works out.

Thank you, seems promising - I'm happy with the T100S for most shots however I think that they're too inconsistent for my liking (highly probable that I'm the problem and not the club) in terms of spin/flight. 

I'll try to demo the i230 asap as well as the blueprints.

I hit the ball high.

I went down the path of playing all the stronger lofted players irons (t100s, king tour, zx7, mizuno 223) in an effort to reduce ball flight and most only made the problem worse by increasing my ball speed and launching the ball just as high as its traditional lofted counter parts.  Zx7, and too a lesser extent the 223 were the only two that lowered my ball flight and spins. The rest measurable increased both spin and height.

Ive found by going back to traditional one piece small cavity or muscle backs I hit the ball lower, with more control, and just as far as most of the players distance irons (170-180 for 32-34 degrees of loft)

• Like 1

Based on the info you've provided (and others have mentioned), I'm not sure 223 is going to be your favorite Mizuno.  If you're worried about the 221 being too "playersy" for everyday use, you may want to consider the JPX923 Tour, which sits between the 223 and the 221.  It's a great iron, especially for someone prioritizing consistency over distance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I hit the ball high.

I went down the path of playing all the stronger lofted players irons (t100s, king tour, zx7, mizuno 223) in an effort to reduce ball flight and most only made the problem worse by increasing my ball speed and launching the ball just as high as its traditional lofted counter parts.  Zx7, and too a lesser extent the 223 were the only two that lowered my ball flight and spins. The rest measurable increased both spin and height.

Ive found by going back to traditional one piece small cavity or muscle backs I hit the ball lower, with more control, and just as far as most of the players distance irons (170-180 for 32-34 degrees of loft)

Yeah sounds relatable for my own game. How's your spin numbers with cavity/muscle backs and more loft relative players irons? Been thinking, at least prior to this, that more loft equals more spin (still a fact), which equals more height and since hitting it almost too high I've not been to keen to look into more traditionally lofted clubs. 

2 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Based on the info you've provided (and others have mentioned), I'm not sure 223 is going to be your favorite Mizuno.  If you're worried about the 221 being too "playersy" for everyday use, you may want to consider the JPX923 Tour, which sits between the 223 and the 221.  It's a great iron, especially for someone prioritizing consistency over distance.

Yeah the 221 looks really really good imo, top 5 most beautiful irons I've ever seen I believe, however if I'm being honest I wouldn't want to have 200 yds into 18 during a tournament round, over water, with a 221 in my hand 😄

I'm naturally a bit averse to Mizuno since they are a bit flat standard, most Mizuno 7i are around 61.5* whereas I prefer around 65-66*. Ofc they can be bent though, I'll have a look at the JPX923T. Would say though that T100, i230, Blueprint are way better looking clubs than the JPX.

Forged Tec 4i DG X100 TI
iBlade 4-PW / DG X100 TI
PLD Anser 2

1 minute ago, machosallad said:

Yeah sounds relatable for my own game. How's your spin numbers with cavity/muscle backs and more loft relative players irons? Been thinking, at least prior to this, that more loft equals more spin (still a fact), which equals more height and since hitting it almost too high I've not been to keen to look into more traditionally lofted clubs. 

Yeah the 221 looks really really good imo, top 5 most beautiful irons I've ever seen I believe, however if I'm being honest I wouldn't want to have 200 yds into 18 during a tournament round, over water, with a 221 in my hand 😄

I'm naturally a bit averse to Mizuno since they are a bit flat standard, most Mizuno 7i are around 61.5* whereas I prefer around 65-66*. Ofc they can be bent though, I'll have a look at the JPX923T. Would say though that T100, i230, Blueprint are way better looking clubs than the JPX.

They spin lower loft for loft for me than the players distance irons.  I’ve come to look at it this way….i need to hit a club confidently to go a certain distance.  I don’t care if it’s stamped a 6 or 7 iron, as long as it goes that distance.  I’m also a relatively good long iron player so the 200 plus shot with A 5-3 iron is less scary to me than covering 135 over water 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, machosallad said:

Like 7000rpm for a 7i these days is quite high and to add its a stronger 7i at 30*. I think the t100s spin is more inline optimally if its less than 7k. Obviously that's subjective only you know your preferred window and flight. So t100s reduced spin but you don't like the flight. Is it the window coming out or the flight down range? You have trackman numbers on it? Because if its a bit less than 7k that should be fine.

I spin my 33* 7i at ~6k peak height 110ft with a decent angle of 50* carry 182y 

7 hours ago, machosallad said:

Hi all,

Need some guidance in the players irons jungle.
Current situation: I've gamed Cobra Forged Tecs for around 5-600 rounds, these irons are pretty much worn out and I'm in the market for new irons. I've recently bought a set of T100S Black Edition (2021 version) but I'm not 100% convinced that they're the best fit for me. I like the T100S overall but I have some issues with them, issues being:

• Not 100% pleased with consistency distance-wise, they feel at times a little bit too hot off the face and I'm not in love with the ball flight at times
  • Turf interaction feels a bit off sometimes, my own theory around this is that they seem to have a lower bounce and less camber than my Cobras - which is not optimal since I'm pretty steep into the ball
  • Not really comfortable with the black finish, I've realized that I'm more of a purist in terms of looks

Some data & specs:

Handicap around 3, would say that I'm an average ball striker for 3 hcp
Swing speed around 93-94 mph with 7i
Both the Forged Tecs and T100S's are equipped with DG X100 Tour Issue
I hit the ball pretty steep, too steep at times, around -7* AoA

For some reason the Titleist spin less than the Cobras despite having more loft (32* vs 30* loft).

So, all in all, I'm leaning towards selling my T100S set and replacing them with another set. Been looking into Ping i230, Titleist T150, Mizuno 223, perhaps Srixon ZX7 mkii(?). Absolutely in love with the looks of Ping Blueprints but I'm afraid they're a little bit too punishing on mishits. 

Any advice?

I sold my 2021 T100’s (not the T100S’) for a brand new set of discounted 2021 Zx7’s. The Zx7’s are much superior in terms of feel, in my opinion. The V-sole design of the Zx7’s are great for steeper AOA’s while still having a pretty narrow sole. And they should be lofted very similar to the T100S’

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

ZX7's can be had for a great GREAT price and the MK2 are virtually the same irons. (not a knock on them).   They are remarkable irons in every way.  Long, workable, great sole, and feel amazing.  Purist forged irons.

But, hey don't sleep on the new Apex Cb's.  Wowzaaa

Edited by Avidswampthing66

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ Ventus Blue +

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

24 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

24 Callaway JDM X -Forged 5-PW  Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S ,54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

Go with the srixons. With your AOA the lower spin and v-sole will work really well. 

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

Paradym ✦✦✦ 15˚ Kai'li White 80

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Toulon San Diego Garage-Naked

Pro V1X 

3 hours ago, chinaski said:

Go with the srixons. With your AOA the lower spin and v-sole will work really well. 

Steep and De-lofting at impact. Would you not want more loft then then stronger lofted offerings?

• Like 2

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

4 hours ago, Kale_m said:

Steep and De-lofting at impact. Would you not want more loft then then stronger lofted offerings?

They aren't that strong. You may have to get used to the 5˚ gaps at the bottom, but I think 22-46 for 4-pw is ideal for both wedges and moving into woods. You need the entire loft spectrum covered regardless. 

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

Paradym ✦✦✦ 15˚ Kai'li White 80

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Toulon San Diego Garage-Naked

Pro V1X 

Okay so today I've done some testing. Tested Ping clubs outside on a range, and some others with Trackman. It's really hard imo to test clubs in a hitting bay where you have nothing to aim at and can't see the ball flight.

Tested irons:

Ping Blueprint (range)
Ping i230 (range)
Srixon ZX7 mkii (tm4)
TaylorMade P7MB (tm4)

Mizuno JPX923T (tm4)

All clubs at std spec. 

First off, the Blueprints felt really really good, buttery feel, pleasing trajectory, very consistent both in terms of accuracy and distance. Not even close to as punishing as I first thought. Would say that they are very similar to 2021 T100/S in terms of forgiveness.

i230 were OK, I guess they lack some feel compared to the Blueprints which is not really surprising since it's a cast CB compared to a forged muscleback. Pretty forgiving though.

ZX7 mkii - really solid feel, haven't hit a Srixon iron prior to this but I completely understand the hype right now, a shame they were only tested in TM4 and not outdoors so can't really say anything about the flight aside from what I saw within Trackman. 

P7MB great feel as well, easier to hit than I thought. A touch less forgivning than the Blueprints.

JPX923T, felt OK but didn't really excel in any field (looks, trajectory, forgiveness, feel), so definitely a good iron but nothing that stood out for me really.

Have to say that the Blueprints rank highest closely followed by ZX7.

So... where do I go from here?
I've got a proposal for the following set:
i230 4i
Blueprint 5i-PW
DG X100 Tour Issue

Only issue? They're around $1850 which is a lot for a set of irons... 🙃 

Forged Tec 4i DG X100 TI
iBlade 4-PW / DG X100 TI
PLD Anser 2

5 hours ago, CSagan said:

Dont sleep on the TCB's

I hit a set of Apex Pro this spring and they didn't suit me at all unfortunately. Do you know if they're similar to the Apex?

Forged Tec 4i DG X100 TI
iBlade 4-PW / DG X100 TI
PLD Anser 2

9 minutes ago, realmfg said:

Ping Blueprints are incredible.  Very forgiving for what they are and possibly the best looking iron down at the ball.

I very much agree, and I've only hit range balls off a mat with them. Must be cloud nine hitting a Pro v1 flush from a damp fairway with them...

Forged Tec 4i DG X100 TI
iBlade 4-PW / DG X100 TI
PLD Anser 2

1 hour ago, machosallad said:

Okay so today I've done some testing. Tested Ping clubs outside on a range, and some others with Trackman. It's really hard imo to test clubs in a hitting bay where you have nothing to aim at and can't see the ball flight.

Tested irons:

Ping Blueprint (range)
Ping i230 (range)
Srixon ZX7 mkii (tm4)
TaylorMade P7MB (tm4)

Mizuno JPX923T (tm4)

All clubs at std spec. 

First off, the Blueprints felt really really good, buttery feel, pleasing trajectory, very consistent both in terms of accuracy and distance. Not even close to as punishing as I first thought. Would say that they are very similar to 2021 T100/S in terms of forgiveness.

i230 were OK, I guess they lack some feel compared to the Blueprints which is not really surprising since it's a cast CB compared to a forged muscleback. Pretty forgiving though.

ZX7 mkii - really solid feel, haven't hit a Srixon iron prior to this but I completely understand the hype right now, a shame they were only tested in TM4 and not outdoors so can't really say anything about the flight aside from what I saw within Trackman. 

P7MB great feel as well, easier to hit than I thought. A touch less forgivning than the Blueprints.

JPX923T, felt OK but didn't really excel in any field (looks, trajectory, forgiveness, feel), so definitely a good iron but nothing that stood out for me really.

Have to say that the Blueprints rank highest closely followed by ZX7.

So... where do I go from here?
I've got a proposal for the following set:
i230 4i
Blueprint 5i-PW
DG X100 Tour Issue

Only issue? They're around $1850 which is a lot for a set of irons... 🙃 

Great write up.

thats a good combo. I think you will love them.  The only knock I have on the blueprints are they are probably the smallest head on the market.  

36 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Great write up.

thats a good combo. I think you will love them.  The only knock I have on the blueprints are they are probably the smallest head on the market.  

I sure hope so 😊 They have a pretty special design. Looks like knives in the bag (as a blade should), however I found them less intimidating at address than expected. Here's an image of the Blueprint 7i next to my T100S 7i. Angle might be a bit off but not much difference between the two imo. Black irons naturally look a bit smaller/thinner behind the ball though.

blueprint-t100s.jpeg

Edited by machosallad
  • Like 1

Forged Tec 4i DG X100 TI
iBlade 4-PW / DG X100 TI
PLD Anser 2

Can't suggest irons, but concur T100S irons can be problematic for better golfers.   My set has been relegated to storage, since getting my 2023 T100 3-PW irons.  So far, me likey.  Much weaker lofts than T100S, and one degree stronger than my 620 MBs, seems enough to get the job done.  Good luck finding what works.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Irons shafts are just as important on anything you decide to go with 

• Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I went P7MC, ZX7 (OG), 2021 T100, ZX7 MKII and am now in the 2023 T100 and will stay with those for a while.  The biggest differentiator between those sets were the shafts.  

I hated the ZX7 MKIIs with $-Taper.  Swapped C-Tapers into the MKIIs and it was a night and day difference.

Don't sleep on finding the right head/shaft combo.

So, you know the new ping blueprint s and the new Mizuno pro line are coming out in a few months right? I’d wait until those come out before buying 

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

Apex UW 19* DI 8x

P DHY 22* Ct-aper lite 110
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7