2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

RTJ Trail vs. Pinehurst in March/April?

I've decided I'm gonna get outta here this Spring and take on a nice golf trip south. 
I think I'm between these two options, but TBD on whether I'll be going solo or not.

What kind of vibes will I be getting at both places? Which would be the better value? 
If I want to travel less, I'm gathering that Pinehurst is likely the place, but I haven't committed to that yet.

Budget-friendly is top of mind, but would love to know how high quality of golf I can achieve without going too crazy.

I haven't been to either, so either way, I think it's going to be a blast. But would love to hear from experience!!

EDIT: @Dancin educated me about the price difference - Let's add Myrtle to the mix as it's a closer comparison to RTJ.

Edited by -GoldenHawk-

Myrtle has better courses (if you play the top courses in Myrtle) with a lot less driving. RTJ will probably be cheaper. The worst part about the RTJ trail is you are driving 1.5-2 hours in between each area of the trail, so you really need to focus on only two RTJ areas at most. It's too much driving if you add a 3rd location. Thus you are only playing a couple different courses vs the 90 or so courses all within an hour or less of Myrtle Beach.

If you're looking for a vibe or hang, forget about it on RTJ trail. These are literally public courses people drive up and leave afterwards for the most part. Also many of the RTJ courses are near small sleepy towns. Myrtle is that too but there are tons of bars and restaurants in the area. Pinehurst would have a much better vibe, but again that is not even in the same category and orders of magnitude more in cost.

If you've never been to any of these and money is a concern, go to Myrtle Beach. Stay near the southern side and play Caledonia and True Blue. Those two courses will blow away everything on the RTJ trail and many of the courses at Pinehurst. Add Pawley's Plantation for another round down south and throw in Prestwick for a round near the airport on arrival or leaving day. That's an excellent extended weekend trip. You could also go north and stay at Barefoot and play the four courses there and add Tidewater, Grande Dunes or the Dunes club if you want another round up there.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

RTJ is best value golf trip you can get. Can fly into Atlanta and go to grand national , farm links, the judge and do farm links . Sure 1-2 hrs between each site but not too bad. Conditions are pretty good but courses def get a lot of play. 

as said above Pinehurst is going to cost multiples so wouldn’t really compare. 

• Like 1

I've been to all three locales multiple times. Some of the prior posts are not completely accurate. 

First off, there are some reasonably priced deals in the Pinehurst area that aren't too expensive as long as you stay away from the Pinehurst resort. Check out Mid Pines. They have reasonably priced stay and play options that will let you play Mid Pines, Pine Needles and Southern Pines. Those three courses are the equal or better than anything you can play on the RTJ trail or in Myrtle Beach , and that includes Caledonia, True Blue and the Dunes Club, which are the three best choices in MB. Compare green fees and they will be comparable.

If you do choose MB, the three mentioned above are your best choices if you are into good golf course architecture. There are other less expensive options such as Heritage and Legends if you want to keep cost down.

As for RTJ, the courses there are scenic and less expensive. Although not in the same class as Mid Pines, Pine Needles True Blue , Caledonia and the Dunes Club, they do have some really good course that are as good as anything else you'll find in MB. The two courses at Grand National, 27 holes at Cambrian Ridge and the Legislator at Capitol Hill are all quite good.

Edited by sabram
  • Like 3

I think,  as a general rule,  MB is overpriced. And some places are complete duds or have houses everywhere. If you don't know what your getting,  you can be disappointed.  And then there are the hung over groups everywhere.. golf is a secondary concern to many MBers. There are some nice places though for sure. 

I like RTJ better but it is more travel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sabram said:

I've been to all three locales multiple times. Some of the prior posts are not completely accurate. 

First off, there are some reasonably priced deals in the Pinehurst area that aren't too expensive as long as you stay away from the Pinehurst resort. Check out Mid Pines. They have reasonably priced stay and play options that will let you play Mid Pines, Pine Needles and Southern Pines. Those three courses are the equal or better than anything you can play on the RTJ trail or in Myrtle Beach , and that includes Caledonia, True Blue and the Dunes Club, which are the three best choices in MB. Compare green fees and they will be comparable.

If you do choose MB, the three mentioned above are your best choices if you are into good golf course architecture. There are other less expensive options such as Heritage and Legends if you want to keep cost down.

As for RTJ, the courses there are scenic and less expensive. Although not in the same class as Mid Pines, Pine Needles True Blue , Caledonia and the Dunes Club, they do have some really good course that are as good as anything else you'll find in MB. The two courses at Grand National, 27 holes at Cambrian Ridge and the Legislator at Capitol Hill are all quite good.

Do you by chance have an estimate of pricing in mid-late march? I'm having trouble finding non-stay and play tee time prices. Or do I just need to call every course?

2 minutes ago, -GoldenHawk- said:

Do you by chance have an estimate of pricing in mid-late march? I'm having trouble finding non-stay and play tee time prices. Or do I just need to call every course?

I think it's $175 until March 20, and then goes up on March 21 which is start of peak season. I think you get a discount if you pmay 36 a day and a discount if you stay at the Inn. Call to check. Mid pines can probably also quote fees to play all 3 courses (Mide Pines, Pine Needles and Southern Pines)

4 minutes ago, sabram said:

I think it's $175 until March 20, and then goes up on March 21 which is start of peak season. I think you get a discount if you pmay 36 a day and a discount if you stay at the Inn. Call to check. Mid pines can probably also quote fees to play all 3 courses (Mide Pines, Pine Needles and Southern Pines)

Thanks! I'm making a spreadsheet as we speak. And checking out non-resort hosted stays to see how much that will cut cost.

3 nights and 3 rounds of golf at the Southern Pines offerings while staying at an AirBnb would run me anywhere from around $1150 - $1400 depending on the days if I chose late March.

It'd be $1800+ if I chose the stay and play that includes meals (according to the stay and play package online).

Might call in to check on deals or discounts that aren't shared online if they exist.

Edited by -GoldenHawk-

4 hours ago, -GoldenHawk- said:

3 nights and 3 rounds of golf at the Southern Pines offerings while staying at an AirBnb would run me anywhere from around $1150 - $1400 depending on the days if I chose late March.

It'd be $1800+ if I chose the stay and play that includes meals (according to the stay and play package online).

Might call in to check on deals or discounts that aren't shared online if they exist.

I think less expensive before Mach 21.

I'd echo what folks have already said - and I can only speak to RTJ experiences and Alabama golf, in particular. 

Those who've suggested the Atlanta - Grand National - Farmlinks trip are on the money. There will be some driving involved, but the Auburn/Opelika area offers a pretty good base of operations. 

The other Alabama/RTJ to consider is flying into Mobile. In addition to the RTJ Magnolia Groves courses, you've got some great courses like Kiva Dunes within reasonable distance, plus some decent offerings around Biloxi, MS. 

Go for the golf, stay for the culture. It's a unique area. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I haven't played RTJ, but have been to Pinehurst many times and MB a few.  Between the two I prefer Pinehurst.

Another option you might consider is contacting Tobacco Road Travel in the Pinehurst area and have them quote you a package.  They work with a lot of the area courses and will have a variety of lodging options.  Used them many times pre-Covid to book early April trips and they were always excellent.  Check out their website for course options.

On 12/16/2023 at 7:37 PM, Divot_Forensicist said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think RTJ is overrated. Best course in area is Farm Links.

Gonna find out myself.  Oldest son and I just booked a February trip to Grand National, Feb 20-24th.  Getting all the details ironed out now.  Looking forward to it!  Any other courses in Auburn area worth a visit?  Got a free day to handle one round.

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

2 hours ago, ND2005 said:

I dont think it’s that unpopular an opinion. Lots of  people acknowledge that the courses are pretty mediocre 

I'm looking at RTJ as well and the price is a reason why, give me mediocre but gives me reasonable golf in Winter. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

2 hours ago, ND2005 said:

I dont think it’s that unpopular an opinion. Lots of  people acknowledge that the courses are pretty mediocre 

Fair, but I frequently see RTJ Trail recommended for golf trips. Affordable relatively speaking, but meh. My in-laws live there so when we are visiting I end up playing. If not for that, I wouldn’t travel there for the golf.

23 minutes ago, Divot_Forensicist said:

Fair, but I frequently see RTJ Trail recommended for golf trips. Affordable relatively speaking, but meh. My in-laws live there so when we are visiting I end up playing. If not for that, I wouldn’t travel there for the golf.

I usually only see it pop up when budget is one of the primary factors. But agree I wouldn’t seek it out unless I was very close by. 

On 12/16/2023 at 8:37 PM, Divot_Forensicist said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think RTJ is overrated. Best course in area is Farm Links.

RTJ is a very good value on some above average courses with generally good conditioning (IMHO). I mean they host a ton of tournaments every year. They can't be bad. 

But, Farmlinks is a rare and unique gem. I totally agree there. 

War Eagle!

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

(engaging sarcasm mode)

Not all of us are a+ prime WRX bangers hitting every shot perfectly and booking the next trendy course. Frankly, I like a scenic course that throws some curveballs at ya, but remains a fun time.  I can’t hit 72 perfect shots, but I can hit 88 sprayed everywhere with about 7-8 that find fairways.  😁 I have fun wherever I play. At 66, I never hope to be scratch.

(removing tongue from cheek now)

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

13 hours ago, doctor220 said:

If youre comparing it to bandon or sand valley then ya it’s not as good but it’s less than half the price of those places. It’s like Chevy vs BMW. 

think the RTJ courses are good, they probably won’t stun you from an architecture standpoint but there’s a ton of different choices, courses are generally kept in good condition and the weather is pretty good in Alabama compared to the colder months up north. 

you get what you pay for. Think RTJ is a better deal than streamsong IMO. 

I neither insinuated nor explicitly compared the RTJ Golf Trail to Bandon, et al. In fact, the comparison you made is a straw man argument, especially given the criterion of cost.

All I actually said is that I think the RTJ Trail is overrated as a golf destination. If you find yourself in the area, go ahead and have fun. When I am in the area, I tend to prefer other tracks such as the aforementioned FarmLinks, Ballantrea, Limestone Springs, Highland Park, Cider Ridge, Bent Brook, Twin Bridges, etc. (all at differing price points comparable to RTJ courses, and frequently a lot less crowded than RTJ courses).

• Haha 1