National membership - $100k budget

Here’s the deal, and please don’t view this post as egotistical or bragging. 

I have the ability to spend $100k+ on a membership. I live in the Midwest and am a member of a club locally, but I’m looking at national memberships and thinking about the future. Ideally somewhere I could buy a second home but that’s not a huge priority at the moment. 

Are there places I should consider for a national membership that would allow me to play in the fall / winter? I’m mid-30s and looking for somewhere I can join for 30-40+ years. I don’t want this to be an ignorant question but I didn’t grow up in a CC and don’t have a huge family / friend network of golfers, so trying to source options here. Any insights or tips would be sincerely appreciated as I do my research. 

thank you. 

With that budget you have the majority of national memberships open to you, but most not anytime soon. Anything that is a top club that has existed for more than a couple years will likely have a waiting list or not even be taking names for a waiting list due to too many people already on it. Also the top clubs in Florida are more than $100k due to the current high demand there. Unfortunately you are looking for a membership when most clubs are overflowing with members and don't need new ones.

Newer courses that just opened or are opening in the next year or two and might still be taking members will be your best bet if you aren't willing to wait. If you don't care about being able to play in winter, that really opens up your options. But mainly you need to narrow down where and what type of course you want to join first. Then when you have that, start emailing/calling courses that fit what you are looking for.

Just a couple of threads down on the front page:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1955578-best-national-memberships-2023/

I have to admit I don't really understand the national club model.  The initiations and dues don't make sense to me, unless you are close enough to drive or you spend a good portion of the year nearby.  I guess they make sense when money is not something you think about.  

I'm always hesitant to mention it because I don't want them filled even more with americans (I know I am one), but you can join some pretty great courses in the UK/Ireland as an international member for incredible deals.  A membership at The Island is a 7.5 hr flight and 20 minute Uber from Chicago.  You could almost get a house in Belmullet and a life membership at Carne for your $100k.  Sure anyone can walk up and play the course so it won't have the exclusivity aspect of it but find me a course like Carne in the US.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, awalk21 said:

I live in the Midwest and am a member of a club locally

Are there places I should consider for a national membership that would allow me to play in the fall / winter?

First thing I would do is narrow down where you might want to be.  Being from the Midwest you could presumably do either Florida or AZ/CA without it making a huge difference.  My experience is that people in the same social group tend to cluster - when I lived in one upper midwest city, folks had their second homes in Naples/Punta Gorda/SW Florida, when I lived somewhere else it was all Scottsdale.  A third place people went to Palm Springs.

Are you in the private jet bracket or will you be flying commercial?  If so that might factor into your matrix, depending on where you'd be flying out of.  Where I am there are a surprising number of routes that require 1 or even 2 stops and extra travel time, since I hate wasting blocks of time in airports I'd value locations with nonstops.  Wouldn't be an issue flying private or out of, say, Chicago.

Good luck with your search, can't give you any specific course ideas since my budget is yours divided by a hundred.  Or maybe a thousand.  Thank goodness for sim golf.

8 hours ago, act0fgod said:

Just a couple of threads down on the front page:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1955578-best-national-memberships-2023/

I have to admit I don't really understand the national club model.  The initiations and dues don't make sense to me, unless you are close enough to drive or you spend a good portion of the year nearby.  I guess they make sense when money is not something you think about.  

I'm always hesitant to mention it because I don't want them filled even more with americans (I know I am one), but you can join some pretty great courses in the UK/Ireland as an international member for incredible deals.  A membership at The Island is a 7.5 hr flight and 20 minute Uber from Chicago.  You could almost get a house in Belmullet and a life membership at Carne for your $100k.  Sure anyone can walk up and play the course so it won't have the exclusivity aspect of it but find me a course like Carne in the US.

Ya I don’t really get it either. If I’m going to all the trouble of flying somewhere and staying the weekend or a few days to golf, I’d prob rather go to different places. 

Just a really really poor return on the money. I understand that someone who has 100k to spend on this is generally in a very strong spot financially, but at same time these kinds of people don’t really enjoy lighting money on fire for fun. 

end of day any national membership set up basically wants to discourage play and have a lot of members. That 100k invested and  spread out over 20-30 years can buy you a lot of really sick golf trips , including plenty of really really good private trips. Just don’t see it numbers wise. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, awalk21 said:

Here’s the deal, and please don’t view this post as egotistical or bragging. 

I have the ability to spend $100k+ on a membership. I live in the Midwest and am a member of a club locally, but I’m looking at national memberships and thinking about the future. Ideally somewhere I could buy a second home but that’s not a huge priority at the moment. 

Are there places I should consider for a national membership that would allow me to play in the fall / winter? I’m mid-30s and looking for somewhere I can join for 30-40+ years. I don’t want this to be an ignorant question but I didn’t grow up in a CC and don’t have a huge family / friend network of golfers, so trying to source options here. Any insights or tips would be sincerely appreciated as I do my research. 

thank you. 

Have you looked at things like Dormie network, or even investigated Outpost Club membership? If you want to travel and play with new people, I know someone who has leveraged contacts from Outpost club to play a lot of top courses. Unless you are purchasing a second home at the site of your national membership, the ability to hit a bunch of different courses sounds more appealing with a multi-club membership. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, doctor220 said:

end of day any national membership set up basically wants to discourage play and have a lot of members.

That is an incorrect statement for the majority of courses where the membership is mostly national members like Sand Hills, Ballyneal, CapRock Ranch etc.. They purposely have lower membership caps to make the membership worthwhile and want their members to come out as much as possible as they make the bulk of their money off high occupancy in the rooms. The sweet spot is a mostly national membership of 200-300 members and lodging for about 60 or so. That gives the members enough opportunities to get out when they want, but keeps the vibe at the places to where it isn't crowded and is big enough that the owners of the clubs can be successful.

Yes a national membership in the US is never going to make sense financially same as most golf memberships. People join a national club mainly because they really, really like to be at that specific course or they have family or some other reason that causes them to travel to that area often.

2 hours ago, brownm said:

or even investigated Outpost Club membership?

Since the OP doesn't seem to have much of an idea of what they want, this is probably the best idea. Or joined Thousand Greens since you already have a private club membership? TG also holds numerous events at top courses throughout the year. This is probably what you should be doing. The events are pricey for these events (usually in the $2k-$3k range for a multi day weekend of stay and play) but you will get to see a bunch of top courses that offer national memberships and give you an idea of places you might want to join.

3 hours ago, brownm said:

Have you looked at things like Dormie network, or even investigated Outpost Club membership? If you want to travel and play with new people, I know someone who has leveraged contacts from Outpost club to play a lot of top courses. Unless you are purchasing a second home at the site of your national membership, the ability to hit a bunch of different courses sounds more appealing with a multi-club membership. 

I was going to mention Dormie , as well. Numerous courses, and a lot less than $100,000.

Dormie is not a good deal anymore even if you do get your first year basically for the annual dues through a charity. They are making members pay to play their best courses (Dormie Club and the new Graybull). When someone on another thread explained this earlier this year I was floored. You pay your annual membership fee and then have to pay the same rate as guests when staying and playing at those clubs.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dancin said:

Dormie is not a good deal anymore even if you do get your first year basically for the annual dues through a charity. They are making members pay to play their best courses (Dormie Club and the new Graybull). When someone on another thread explained this earlier this year I was floored. You pay your annual membership fee and then have to pay the same rate as guests when staying and playing at those clubs.

Yeah the dormie thing was interesting in that thread.

seems like a ton of expense after the initiation and dues.

gotta pay green fees, lodge rentals and I’m sure up-charged food and Bev on site.  

I guess that’s prob the norm for national memberships but dormie seems to be eliminating the option to pop in and just play all together.

Edited by CCTxGolf
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Dancin said:

I wonder if the number of members is too low to support the courses. I would hate to be a member and pay greens fees. Not that I’m looking to join, but I live within reasonable driving distance to two of the Dormie courses.

Edited by caniac6

3 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I wonder if the number of members is too low to support the courses. I would hate to be a member and pay greens fees. Not that I’m looking to join, but I live within reasonable driving distance to two of the Dormie courses.

opposite. They are actively trying to churn through regional members. 

Their business model is based on the stay-and-play crew and on corporate members. 

• Like 2

On 12/24/2023 at 2:09 PM, sabram said:

It sounds like the best fit for the OP is a club located in the southern US that is substantially or even primarily made up of national members. Check out Old Barnwell, The Tree Farm and Ohoopee Match club.

I think OMC is way out of my price range based on what I’ve gathered. The other two are possibilities. 

2 minutes ago, awalk21 said:

I think OMC is way out of my price range based on what I’ve gathered. The other two are possibilities. 

Barnwell yes, tree farm no. Unless you’re interested in the lowest tier membership which allows you to use the club 3 times per year for 50K initiation or some nonsense like that 

On 12/24/2023 at 9:19 AM, doctor220 said:

That 100k invested and  spread out over 20-30 years can buy you a lot of really sick golf trips , including plenty of really really good private trips. Just don’t see it numbers wise. 

I'm guessing if he has $100k to drop on a CC membership, he has plenty of money remaining for golf trips on top of it.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

It seems like there are clubs that emphasize national membership and clubs that *offer* a non-resident membership. 

Augusta National is the prototype for a true national membership and many clubs have followed that model. The popular ones are all but out of reach for most of us regardless of our financial situation. They're full five times over if they want to be. 

On the flip side there are tons of nice local private clubs that offer non-resident memberships to people who live outside a 50ish-mile radius.  Just about any really good local club will provide this option and it's probably the best way to get an under-the-radar national membership without the long wait and high price. 

If I was in your situation I'd look at clubs like Sara Bay C.C. in Sarasota, FL. Sarasota is a nice town, especially by Florida standards. Flying to/from the Bradenton/Sarasota airport is a breeze and the course is right around the corner from there. I could get used to spending 4-6 weekends down there every winter. 

Edited by me05501

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

When I was considering being done with Dormie Network, I looked hard at Forest Creek in Pinehurst area. 36 holes ... great area to be at for other courses, etc.

If one were looking at Dormie Network I'd really discourage anyone from paying an initiation because odds of being annoyed and frustrated within a few years is high. Their model is to show corporate guests a really great time for 3-4 days a couple times a year. They'll flood the market with memberships and there's no exclusivity to being a member. They're masters at churning through people and eating up initiations where possible knowing you'll likely be pissed in due time. They value add to courses with amazing hospitality and solid but way overpriced food and drinks (for the quality).

The new all-inclusive is a way to tier off what they see as their flagship locations to those willing to pay the premium while also pushing other members to the less traveled courses. Certainly Dormie Club and GrayBull will be more likely campus takeover locations. Dues are becoming an access fee of sorts and if GrayBull and Dormie Club as busy as they hope with campus takeovers you essentially get access to two less courses for your dues if corporate use isn't your primary plan. The only optic they really care about is room nights. The new all-inclusive makes it more likely to become a member-guest vibe each time on property--which is fine if that's what you're after.

The place also feels like a big tax shelter for the family that owns it. That's also why all the "donated" memberships exist. They talk about how they don't make deals with members or on initiations but that's certainly the case. Have talked to people who have been encouraged to make donations to the family foundation for better deals.

The product on site is great, but dealing with them in any other aspect above hospitality very difficult and frustrating. None of these memberships are value-based at this price point but after a while on the Dormie Network you'll likely have some very conflicted feelings unless you're just hosting clients and huge outings a couple times a year. Courses tend to have lots of unaccompanied groups when possible as well. You'll hear of people being asked to join after winning a stay and play auction for no initiation and applying what they spent on site to their yearly dues, etc. Some unaccompanied groups seem to leave with an account to come back when open, at unaccompanied rates of course. All while the tagline used to be "pure golf" and "a home course all around the country."

Also keep in mind San Antonio is not guaranteed to be warm in the least in the winter ... same for Pinehurst area. Briggs closes for 2 months in the summer and it appears Dormie Club is going to close part of the winter.

People who know more than me have been talking about 21 Club as a good National membership. BlueJack National another decent choice? Might need to have a connection.

Edited by Husker4theSpurs