2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2024

Played the back nine at Coal Creek this morning. I didn’t hate it. The greens were not good. It was very lush and I enjoyed being down in the riparian area for the whole nine. The layout was decent. 18 was not a good hole. I liked the other holes. I had never even heard of Coal Creek. So many decent courses in CO. 

• Like 3

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

On 5/30/2024 at 8:52 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

Played the back nine at Coal Creek this morning. I didn’t hate it. The greens were not good. It was very lush and I enjoyed being down in the riparian area for the whole nine. The layout was decent. 18 was not a good hole. I liked the other holes. I had never even heard of Coal Creek. So many decent courses in CO. 

Did they flip the 9?    The holes along the highway way back (before flood) was the back 9, I think that i the front 9 now?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CDM said:

Did they flip the 9?    The holes along the highway way back (before flood) was the back 9, I think that i the front 9 now?

Having grown up in Lafayette and played it a ton as a kid it's still weird to me. Also, the now first five holes were actually the last five holes before.

NOTE: I do like the new routing better, I'm just not used to it yet.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, stoneydukes said:

Played Fox Hill in Longmont for the first time today. Even though it ate me up pretty good on the back nine, I really enjoyed the course. Conditions were excellent and the greens are some of the best I've played in Colorado. Can't wait to get back out there

Glad you loved it man! Feel free to join me any time.

• Thanks 1

I played in a men's club tourney Saturday and can honestly say, I can't remember playing a worse round of golf in the last 5 years.  I don't know if I need a break, or lessons, or new clubs, or all the above, but I need something to change.  That was not fun.  

On the flipside, I played Lakewood for the first time last week and loved it.  What a fun course and the greens out there are amazing.  I would happily join there.  I love those old courses and it seems like they've done a nice job of updating it while keeping that character.  

@Dancin I agree with you on FH North.  I played it right after it opened and obviously it needed to grow in then...surprised it still needs some more time since that was like 3 years ago.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ASak10 said:

On the flipside, I played Lakewood for the first time last week and loved it.  What a fun course and the greens out there are amazing.  I would happily join there.  I love those old courses and it seems like they've done a nice job of updating it while keeping that character.  

@Dancin I agree with you on FH North.  I played it right after it opened and obviously it needed to grow in then...surprised it still needs some more time since that was like 3 years ago.  

Lakewood is great but they are still pretty uptight on rules. DCC allows push carts but Lakewood just started having push carts in the last year or so and requires you to pay to use one of theirs instead of bringing your own. More of the old members need to die off.

It's wild that FH North opened 4 years ago and still has issues. That's what makes me think they are struggling and going cheap on maintenance or watering. There's no reason for the fairways to have that many issues 4 years after opening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ASak10 said:

I played in a men's club tourney Saturday and can honestly say, I can't remember playing a worse round of golf in the last 5 years.  I don't know if I need a break, or lessons, or new clubs, or all the above, but I need something to change.  That was not fun.  

I've always been a crappy putter... but I got absolutely exposed on Saturday.  I hit the ball about as well as I have all season (10 fw, 10 gir) and shot 84.  21 putts on each side for a grand total of 42, with 5 3-putts and 1 4-putt.   Downright embarrassing.

On a positive note, hit my approach on 1 to about 2.5 feet and made birdie, with a pop.  My net-eagle held up for a skin... so at least I won some money 😆

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Gmcourtney said:

I've always been a crappy putter... but I got absolutely exposed on Saturday.  I hit the ball about as well as I have all season (10 fw, 10 gir) and shot 84.  21 putts on each side for a grand total of 42, with 5 3-putts and 1 4-putt.   Downright embarrassing.

On a positive note, hit my approach on 1 to about 2.5 feet and made birdie, with a pop.  My net-eagle held up for a skin... so at least I won some money 😆

Blow it up. Change grip, change putter style drastically, get weird. 

Gotta switch up that talk track.

Edited by TheKrushh
  • Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

4 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

Blow it up. Change grip, change putter style drastically, get weird. 

Gotta switch up that talk track.

F'real.  I was just at PGASS after work tonight looking at putters!  😆

I'm gonna just let the 4-putt go.  It was just total frustration on 17, after a looong freaking round.  

I think the real thing is... i've been "papering over" my putting weakness, by blaming approach play. When you only hit 3 greens in a round, there's lots of chip it to 10-12 feet, miss the putt, and tap in.   If only counting "putts", it's easy to have 30-32, if you get a couple chips closer and get up and down... but really, is a "chip and 2 putts" really any better than a 3-putt?   Of course not... it's still 3.

I've been trying to play smarter, thinking about dispersion, and aim at the center of greens regardless of where the pin is.  It's really helped my play overall.  I've been hitting more greens, and have been shooting in the low-mid 80s.   I haven't posted a score over 90 since 2022, which is awesome to me.

But the other side of the "hitting more greens" coin, is that I have a lot more 20-40 ft putts that formerly would have been an off the green chip.   And it's quite apparent that my pace control on lag putting is atrocious.      

All in all... I think I'm just right in the middle of what a lot of players go thru.   Going from high 90's to high 80's was all about getting control off the tee and not giving away stroke and distance OB penalties.  Going from high 80's to low 80's has been all about better iron play, getting on the green sooner, and reducing the doubles down to bogies.   I think going from 80's into the high 70's is gonna be all about improving my putting.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Gmcourtney said:

I feel the putting pain. I think my last trip to the course I had five or six putters with me. Constantly searching for one to get hot.  Funny thing is,

whichever one I choose works great…..on the practice green. Then out on the course the brain gets in the way…..I need a putting lobotomy. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ASak10 said:

16 hours ago, Gmcourtney said:

Assume ISP at CG?  If so the greens are in amazing shape.  Rough is really thick too.

Course is great shape for those who have not been out there lately.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gmcourtney said:

I'm gonna just let the 4-putt go.  It was just total frustration on 17, after a looong freaking round.  

I think the real thing is... i've been "papering over" my putting weakness, by blaming approach play. When you only hit 3 greens in a round, there's lots of chip it to 10-12 feet, miss the putt, and tap in.   If only counting "putts", it's easy to have 30-32, if you get a couple chips closer and get up and down... but really, is a "chip and 2 putts" really any better than a 3-putt?   Of course not... it's still 3.

I've been trying to play smarter, thinking about dispersion, and aim at the center of greens regardless of where the pin is.  It's really helped my play overall.  I've been hitting more greens, and have been shooting in the low-mid 80s.   I haven't posted a score over 90 since 2022, which is awesome to me.

But the other side of the "hitting more greens" coin, is that I have a lot more 20-40 ft putts that formerly would have been an off the green chip.   And it's quite apparent that my pace control on lag putting is atrocious.      

All in all... I think I'm just right in the middle of what a lot of players go thru.   Going from high 90's to high 80's was all about getting control off the tee and not giving away stroke and distance OB penalties.  Going from high 80's to low 80's has been all about better iron play, getting on the green sooner, and reducing the doubles down to bogies.   I think going from 80's into the high 70's is gonna be all about improving my putting.

Fully agree with you. I find if I am driving it poor it all goes to crap fast.  Mentality goes down the river. To me driving is the most important part of my game.  It sets up mess to come. LOL 

Second for my game is chipping.

Greens in reg is my typical issue.  Miss way to many and playing the up / down game. 

My putting is semi decent and saves me some days, but I think my putting stats seem "better" as I spent time learning to chip better.

In a fitting, not a lesson. The fitter showed me how to use bounce better that made sense to me. What I though I was doing was not what I was really doing.

It only took me 10+ years to really understand how to use the bounce right on chip shots.  /sad

19 hours ago, ASak10 said:

I tripled 18 to finish out of the money.  Topped driver about 50 yards into native.  Tried to punch out with wedge and lost ball.  Lesson learned.  Declare that unplayable and retee!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Gmcourtney said:

Love it! Do SOMEthing different. Change the energy! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Looks like @Joelness is not planning on glowing himself up since he posted 8 hours ago and didn’t mention his play in the Collindale Invitational this weekend, so I hope he doesn’t mind if I shout him out for a solo second firing an even par 72-70 in tough, windy conditions. That is seriously impressive golf. Congrats on a good tourney, bro! What was clicking? Must have driven it well…

Joel is so humble I notice he comes on and will discuss his bad rounds or the things that maybe didn't go well but will leave it alone when he balls out. Stand up guy!

But now that that's out of the way @Joelness, play really well? grindy day? good breaks? Have a chance to get the dub? Give us the details!

• Like 2

Started my southern tour with a trip to Fox Hollow yesterday.  Links and Canyon.  Let me guess that people like the Meadow and Canyon the best?  Deep rough and glad that I had my muscles to get it out and hold the greens - I had no idea where to aim the driver on the non-straight holes.  I will definitely go back, but will play the blacks next time.

Greens still have some healing to do from the aeration, so plan accordingly.

Got a humbling experience at Pebble/Spyglass with wedges, bounce and sand traps.  I thought that my wedges and I were in a good place with bounce and shot making for the last decade... nope.  A couple of years ago, they started to use this new "sand" from Idaho and it is not really sand like I have always known it.  Had to learn 2 new sand shots and using the bounce was a huge issue for most shots.  If you used the bounce on the club, the concrete hard firmness just under the top would bounce your club back up into the ball and skull it like you are hitting off concrete floor.  You could only use your fried egg and face/upslope blast shots and just dig - these worked still.  Otherwise, the bounce on the club is a guide to slide under the ball with the face open and an over-the-top wrist c0ck without wanting it to actually bounce the club back up - you used the sole as a guide for angle of entry.  Humbling for sure.  Spend my whole warm up time on the second day figuring this out and got the 56/12 for most shots and also worked out the 60/3 for the whisp-of-sand high spinners that you need since some of these bunkers are so high.  Had some sandies afterward and even a round of applause from the group ahead of us coming off of a tee - I was SOOOO happy.  On the good side, fairway bunker shots were easy with usually always a good lie.  Generally, I don't like much bounce and I certainly did not like it with this devil-spawn erosion stuff that they call "Idaho White" sand.  It was actually really nice and responsive once you learned the shots needed, but I fear that I will never use these shots again.

There is so much nuance to bounce and wedges that I don't know it is possible to get good at ALL of it without extreme practice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

Joel is so humble I notice he comes on and will discuss his bad rounds or the things that maybe didn't go well but will leave it alone when he balls out. Stand up guy!

But now that that's out of the way @Joelness, play really well? grindy day? good breaks? Have a chance to get the dub? Give us the details!

Oh and also just heard through the grapevine that superintendent said the greens were running at 13-13.5 for the tourney. Makes 142 even more impressive. Collindale from the tips with gusty storm winds and 13.5 stimp greens? Come on man, that is insane. Impressive @Joelness  

• Like 1

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Gmcourtney said:

I believe Tiger once said the key to his dominance was lag putting, which is such an awesome Tiger thing to say because no one ever talks about that. I believe what he meant is that great of putting allowed him to aim at the conservative side of pins, hit more greens, and not short side himself as much, knowing he would 99% of the time two putt, even if he was 40 feet away. Lag putting is so underrated as a skill! 

When looking for putters, I think people

almost always prioritize hitting their line, making 6 footers, etc. But I think people should also be considering, if not prioritizing, feel and how well they can lag with a certain putter. All putters are meant to go straight, but the way they swing and feel and how it matches your concept of pace can vary much more. Find a putter you can lag well and you will shave strokes off your game!

Edited by bobbyclampett!!

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

On 6/3/2024 at 12:24 PM, TheKrushh said:

Been struggling with my golf game and made some set up changes to where I'm further away  allowing my body and arms to work through the ball properly.  Played a lot of golf in my life but I don't think I ever have had as pure of ball striking day as Friday afternoon. Hit some balls Sunday and it was still there. 

Absolutely a fantastic feeling. 

Haha, I had the same feeling at a range session on Sunday, but from the totally opposite feel, which was feeling my elbows glued to body at set up and throughout the swing, ala Hogan. I’ve been working on that this summer, which has led to more consistent ball striking, but on Sunday I moved the ball a little further back in my stance with irons, pushed my hands further forward so butt of club is opposite left pant pocket at address with a more open face than I’m used to and…. Bam! Felt like I had golf solved. Shot after shot was struck perfectly, gorgeous flight, right at the target. Isn’t golf the best?

• Like 3

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

7 hours ago, birdiemachine said:

I tripled 18 to finish out of the money.  Topped driver about 50 yards into native.  Tried to punch out with wedge and lost ball.  Lesson learned.  Declare that unplayable and retee!

Ouch.  I know that pain and learning that lesson.  I had an even more embarrassing situation on 3...I whiffed my drive.  Literally barely hit the ball and it went about 3 feet forward.  Well dummy me had remembered that there was a rule that you could re-tee without penalty if the ball stayed in the teeing area. In the moment I thought that meant anywhere on the tee box.  So I teed it up thinking I was hitting two.  When I read the rule a few more times I realized teeing area really meant the box you can tee off from...so from the markers back two clubs.  The stupidest part is that I had played my original ball and smacked a 3w about to where I would have driven it anyway, only about 20 yards short of my drive off the tee. But thinking I had read the rule right I picked up the original ball.  Either way I made a mess around the green and ended up with an 8 with the penalty stroke I took.  Things went downhill form there.

7 hours ago, CDM said:

Assume ISP at CG?  If so the greens are in amazing shape.  Rough is really thick too.

Course is great shape for those who have not been out there lately.

Yes and yes, it absolutely is in great shape and that rough is no joke. 

5 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

Love it! Do SOMEthing different. Change the energy! 

Funny I made a similar decision after my awful round and decided to get new grips on all my clubs.  Figured that was cheaper than getting a whole new set.  We'll see if it works.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Haha, I had the same feeling at a range session on Sunday, but from the totally opposite feel, which was feeling my elbows glued to body at set up and throughout the swing, ala Hogan. I’ve been working on that this summer, which has led to more consistent ball striking, but on Sunday I moved the ball a little further back in my stance with irons, pushed my hands further forward so butt of club is opposite left pant pocket at address with a more open face than I’m used to and…. Bam! Felt like I had golf solved. Shot after shot was struck perfectly, gorgeous flight, right at the target. Isn’t golf the best?

And then of course I went to the range and fatted and thinned the he** out of a bunch of wedges and irons. Everyone who plays golf has serious mental problems and we should all be in therapy once a week and be heavily medicated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

45 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

And then of course I went to the range and fatted and thinned the he** out of a bunch of wedges and irons. Everyone who plays golf has serious mental problems and we should all be in therapy once a week and be heavily medicated.

This is the truth!

I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like lately due to work travel, but I did just pick up an MGI Zip Navigator motorized pushcart from Costco, which just went on sale. I'm pretty stoked. 

I've been playing maybe once a week lately, so my game is up and down. A couple weeks ago, I set a goal to shoot a 78 and blew it on the final three holes. I played great to start with hitting 12 or 13 of 15 greens, though I did struggle putting particularly on the front with three 3-putts. I had five or six great looks at birdies that day, and could only get one to fall. I then collapsed on the final three holes, shooting +4 on that stretch which was disappointing and shot an 80.

Then I played like complete crap for a team men's club event this past weekend, and somehow tied for third thanks to some good ham-and-egging. My swing just never felt great and my putting was not good. 

Hopefully my work travel starts to wind down after this month so I can start playing more to get my game back in line. It's tough not being able to go play after work. 

• Like 3

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

1 hour ago, thaar said:

I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like lately due to work travel, but I did just pick up an MGI Zip Navigator motorized pushcart from Costco, which just went on sale. I'm pretty stoked. 

I've been playing maybe once a week lately, so my game is up and down. A couple weeks ago, I set a goal to shoot a 78 and blew it on the final three holes. I played great to start with hitting 12 or 13 of 15 greens, though I did struggle putting particularly on the front with three 3-putts. I had five or six great looks at birdies that day, and could only get one to fall. I then collapsed on the final three holes, shooting +4 on that stretch which was disappointing and shot an 80.

Then I played like complete crap for a team men's club event this past weekend, and somehow tied for third thanks to some good ham-and-egging. My swing just never felt great and my putting was not good. 

Hopefully my work travel starts to wind down after this month so I can start playing more to get my game back in line. It's tough not being able to go play after work. 

MGI Zips are great.  The new model is really nice. Two friends have them and love them. 

I looked at them too, but already owning a Clicgear 3.5+  I just added the Alphard V2 to the Clicgear.  I bought the front wheel option also so it has wider base (stable) and the wheels swivel so move so much easier.   

Once you get used to it on th course you will ask yourself why you did not get one prior...! 

• Like 3

Thanks for the love gentlemen!

I might have responded sooner but tbh it's hard to say what the reason was specifically. Overall the conditions were tough with medium-consistent wind on Saturday and harder, gustier wind Sunday. As @bobbyclampett!! mentioned the greens were definitely fast. Luckily ours at Fox Hill this spring have been firm 12's so it wasn't that hard to get used to.

As for @TheKrushh's questions:

• It didn't feel like I played that well. I think what I did was take a few more conservative targets and hit mostly a lot of good and a few great putts, with a sprinkling of awful ones.
  • Both days were grindy, though that definition is changing for me. When I do the mental side right, it always feels grindy to me. In a way it's a sign that I was focusing really well, because that's a grind. Ironically, if we played together you probably wouldn't know because when I'm between shots I'm having fun and cracking jokes.
  • Honestly, a lot more bad breaks than good ones. Thankfully I can think of 2 fantastic recovery shots I hit, with 5 more good ones and only 2 mediocre/bad ones.
  • Yes, I did get within 1 when I birdied 12 and again on 13. After that I made bogey on 14 and he rattled off 2 in a row. However, I didn't check the scoreboard until after I made bogey on 15 so I saw the two shot difference at that point. I watched it every hole or two after that. The big thing was making par on 18 to lock up 2nd with a big wind into and off the left.

My Details:

• Recovery game was great all weekend
  • Mentally solid all weekend
  • Saturday conditions were great, with a ~10-15 out of the SW all day.
    • I hit 10 greens
    • my tee game was solid
    • I chipped pretty bad
    • my putting was super up and down on those greens. I made a lot of my long-ish putts for par after bad chips but then left my first putt 12' short on 9 and missed a 2-footer on 11.
  • Sunday conditions were much tougher with a gusty 20-35 out of the NW with storms everywhere else  
    • I hit 11 greens
    • Tee game I couldn't reliably hit the fade so was less consistent, which I learned quickly by
      • ripping a dead-straighter on the left edge of fwy on 1
      • hit a dead straight pull on 3 40 yds left to the edge of the rough on 13, thankfully only 72 yds with no tree trouble.
    • Approach game was good
    • Chipping was better as I got there early and spent 40 mins on it.
    • Putting was great outside of another 2 footer missed late on 16.

Questions?

For the real golf nerds:

image.png.bb361932095cab6d9f512db6027887e4.png

image.png.6f954ba256c01e7b44003f24e4b1c4b0.png

• Like 4