Pawley’s Island or Palmetto Dunes/Hilton Head…need advice

Looking for advice from anyone that may have experience with two regions I’m trying to narrow down to. I’m in charge of booking a trip for the group. We’ve done a few trips to Williamsburg, VA, Pinehurst, NC area,, Myrtle Beach National and others. We are all from the northeast and looking to go to one of the areas below in October 2024. We are all between 15-22 handicaps and really enjoy golf. Not hackers but definitely not scratch

1.) Hilton Head - staying at Palmetto Dunes and playing the Fazio course, RTJ ocean course (x2) and then the Hills course (x2)

2.) Myrtle Beach South -  staying in the True Blue golf villas on pawley’s island. Playing River Course, True Blue (x2) & Caledonia (x2)

We were also looking at Barefoot and playing the 5 courses on-site but thought these two might be better for logistics. 

We already have quotes and dates set. Just need to pick one and go with it, but I do not have experience with either region. 

I’ve heard there is minimal nightlife near Pawley’s Island but if I look online there seems to be restaurants within a 5 minute drive. Curious if Uber is easily accessible. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m about to flip a coin and don’t know if anyone has experience with both and suggest one or the other. 

Thanks in advance for your help.  

For your Pawleys itinerary, you can't beat True Blue and Caledonia. However, the River Club is nothing special. There are several better options very close by such as Pawleys Plantation, Willbrook and Heritage. Just a bit further is TPC Myrtle Beach. If you could substitute one of those in place of River Club, I'd do that trip. There are plenty of good restaurants and bars in the Pawleys/Murrells area. It's quieter than Myrtle Beach proper, which is nice.

If you are considering a trip to Barefoot resort, there are four courses there (not five): Dye, Love, Fazio and Norman. Norman is my least favorite of the four, but the other three are quite good. Love and Dye are my favorites there, but would still prefer Caledonia and True Blue.

You can find photo tours of the courses mentioned here:  Carolina Golf Course photos

• Like 1

I live in Pawleys Island and have vacationed in Hilton Head Island six times.  Golf is better in Pawleys Island.  Restaurants are better in Hilton Head.  Decide which is the priority golf or dining.  I would take the top courses in Pawleys Island any day over any of the Barefoot courses.  I would swap out River club for Heritage, Willbrook Plantation, Pawleys Plantation or Tradition club.  

• Like 1

As 15-22 handicaps I would bet you all will appreciate the relative open layout of True Blue. Caledonia is beautiful but it can feel a bit claustrophobic at times. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Thank you everyone for your feedback and advice. We went with Pawley's Island. Excited to play Caledonia and True Blue. We had to drop River Club due to flight schedules, but given everyone's feedback that looks like a good idea. If we can squeeze in another round I'll look into the suggestions. 

Looks like you prefer to play the best courses twice instead of 
more variety with nearly as good courses.     

Cal + TB are sister courses.   Cal does not have a range, but you can stop
at TB and use the range before play if you want.   

Near their entrance off 17 is a good Italian restaurant named Gio's. 
A block or two north is Frank's, some consider the best around.     
The 2 courses serve breakfast and lunch.      

Have done Pawleys - Caledonia and True Blue staying at True Blue.  LOVED it.  We had the True Blue clubhouse and Caledonia clubhouse cater dinner in each night and set up a tab for an open bar.  It was a great trip.

Have done Barefoot - played all courses and threw in Tidewater (not to be missed).  LOVED it.  Just hopped around from restaurant to restaurant for dinners.  Breakfast every morning for our part of the crew was Blueberry Grill.  Get there early to beat the rush.

Doing Hilton Head at Palmetto Dunes in April.  Playing all three courses plus Oyster Reef and Hilton Head National with a foursome splitting off to spend the big $$$s at Harbor Town.  Have dinners set up at different restaurants on the island.

All these are 20+ player trips. The two up in Myrtle were great.  I'm sure that the HHI trip will be just as great.

• Like 1

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

8 hours ago, ArtMBgolf said:

Looks like you prefer to play the best courses twice instead of 
more variety with nearly as good courses.     

Cal + TB are sister courses.   Cal does not have a range, but you can stop
at TB and use the range before play if you want.   

Near their entrance off 17 is a good Italian restaurant named Gio's. 
A block or two north is Frank's, some consider the best around.     
The 2 courses serve breakfast and lunch.      

Thanks Art. Yes, this year we'll stick with the two courses. Last few years we've played 5 courses overs 3 days and it was too much. I think we picked some good ones to focus on. We're pumped to check them out.

Thanks for the suggestions on the restaurants and good to know the clubhouse serve breakfast and lunch. We've assumed in the past and surprised when we got there.

26 minutes ago, Maroon_19 said:

Have done Pawleys - Caledonia and True Blue staying at True Blue.  LOVED it.  We had the True Blue clubhouse and Caledonia clubhouse cater dinner in each night and set up a tab for an open bar.  It was a great trip.

Have done Barefoot - played all courses and threw in Tidewater (not to be missed).  LOVED it.  Just hopped around from restaurant to restaurant for dinners.  Breakfast every morning for our part of the crew was Blueberry Grill.  Get there early to beat the rush.

Doing Hilton Head at Palmetto Dunes in April.  Playing all three courses plus Oyster Reef and Hilton Head National with a foursome splitting off to spend the big $$$s at Harbor Town.  Have dinners set up at different restaurants on the island.

All these are 20+ player trips. The two up in Myrtle were great.  I'm sure that the HHI trip will be just as great.

I'll have to check in after April to see how the HH trip went. I really want to check that out next year.

10 hours ago, ArtMBgolf said:

Be careful of the tees you play at Cal.   It's a par 70 with a 95 yard par 3, 
so it plays around 400 yards longer than what the card measures.  

Yes to this. Caledonia is tight as hell off the tee. You are going to want to have the option to hit long iron or hybrid off some of those tees on par 4s. 

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I vote Cal + TB over anything else you've listed.  Agreed that the "other amenities" aren't as nice on Pawleys, but for a golf trip, thats usually not our biggest determining factor.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I will be the outlier and say I prefer HHI.  The Hills course is meh but the RTJ amd Fazio (not Tom) courses are underrated.  

Conversely I think Caledonia is overrated.  I have played it at least 4 times and just don't care for it.

Disclaimer:  have only played both areas in the peak of summer.  It is freaking hot as hell and Caledonia and TB are just sopping wet everywhere.  The courses at HHI dry better and are more open and less swampy.  

That being said, all courses may play different in October. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 8:26 AM, sabram said:

What don't you like about it?

You didn't ask me but I will volunteer some thoughts. Caledonia is absurdly narrow in many places and plays even narrower than it looks because of overhanging branches, etc. It felt very penal for the average golfer and a lot of holes that are like "hit it here or else". Maybe I am just not very good at golf but I didn't think Caledonia was "fun." It has beautiful plants and looks great but if you anything less than surgical off the tee you are going to be blocked out or OB constantly. #5, #7, #12, #14, #15, #16 are QUITE demanding off the tee for most everyone.  

Compare that to True Blue which I think has bolder/more outlandish hole designs (if you are into that more than flowers), allows for OPTIONS off the tee rather than just "hit it in this 25 yd wide part of the fairway" and that, to me, is more fun. Still asks you to hit a variety of shots but is less penal when you don't execute. Also, True Blue just has more "Strantz" touches than Caledonia to me (then again, I have only played 5 strantz courses so what do I know). 

Maybe I just don't understand the subtleties of the design at Caledonia, maybe I would like it better if I played it all the time to truly appreciate it, or maybe I just don't like feeling really uncomfortable on the tee for 1/2 the par 4s. All those things could be true. But for a golf trip where fun is the primary objective, I think True Blue delivers on that significantly more. 

• Haha 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 2/1/2024 at 12:31 PM, sabram said:

Click on a photo below for photo tours of TB and Caledonia

Caledonia Golf Club

Caledonia

True Blue Golf Course 2011

True Blue

True Blue Golf Course 2018

More True Blue

Thanks for setting these up - I need to get back there soon!

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, vandyfan said:

You didn't ask me but I will volunteer some thoughts. Caledonia is absurdly narrow in many places and plays even narrower than it looks because of overhanging branches, etc. It felt very penal for the average golfer and a lot of holes that are like "hit it here or else". Maybe I am just not very good at golf but I didn't think Caledonia was "fun." It has beautiful plants and looks great but if you anything less than surgical off the tee you are going to be blocked out or OB constantly. #5, #7, #12, #14, #15, #16 are QUITE demanding off the tee for most everyone.  

Compare that to True Blue which I think has bolder/more outlandish hole designs (if you are into that more than flowers), allows for OPTIONS off the tee rather than just "hit it in this 25 yd wide part of the fairway" and that, to me, is more fun. Still asks you to hit a variety of shots but is less penal when you don't execute. Also, True Blue just has more "Strantz" touches than Caledonia to me (then again, I have only played 5 strantz courses so what do I know). 

Maybe I just don't understand the subtleties of the design at Caledonia, maybe I would like it better if I played it all the time to truly appreciate it, or maybe I just don't like feeling really uncomfortable on the tee for 1/2 the par 4s. All those things could be true. But for a golf trip where fun is the primary objective, I think True Blue delivers on that significantly more. 

The fairways are significantly more generous than 25 yards in width. One of the beauties of Mike Strantz is to mess around with the heads of golfers on each shot. IIRC there are 5 par threes at Caledonia, so taking into account just the 13 holes that are par 4's and 5's I think only #4 and #16 are tight fairways.  In addition, #7 and #12 do each have a key strategic tree in play that definitely give the player an easier approach if you come in from the correct side. I've been on the wrong side of the fairway (which is the right) on #7 several times and part of the fun is figuring out whether to hit a cut, go under the tree, over the tree or just aim in front of the green and try to chip it close on the next shot. That's a fair and fun punishment for failing to keep the tee shot far enough left.

• 3 weeks later...

Overall comparison of the two zones: Hilton Head more upscale and pricy, while Pawley's Island (and South MB golf zone) is more laid back with quality golf.

Comparison: I visited Hilton Head about 10 years ago for a weeklong training conference - my wife got to come. We have been to Myrtle Beach for weeklong vacations four times since 2015.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fadmin.willbrookgolf.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2024%2F01%2FWIllbrook-Gallery28.jpg&w=640&q=75One excellent course in Pawley's Island is Wilbrook Plantation. This is a Don Dan Maples design from the 1980s which winds through a rustic nature area.

Course makes excellent use of cross-bunkers at edge of several doglegs. Your choice: try to fly the bunkers to save distance, or lay up and face a blind approach due to screening of the high bunker banks.

As per the course website:

Willbrook has long been seen as an environmentalist’s dream. The course’s pristine 18 holes are woven through natural grasses, Lowcountry marshes and wetlands – and the wildlife that accompanies the track is nothing to scoff at either.

Willbrook Plantation

The course also comes with a history lesson. During construction, the crew found an abandoned black slave cemetery. The designers took note, marked off the area, and rerouted two holes to preserve the site.

About 18 miles north of Pawley's Island is the Market Common area, just south of the airport.

image.png.a3ede10b496079668b14d6c7795b3d40.png

Built on a former military air base, it features upscale shopping and restaurants amid a modern residential area. Plenty of owner-run bistros with unique cuisine.

Overall, Myrtle Beach has several upscale outlet malls with shops appealing to various niche markets.

Finally, my wife and I are financially secure - more or less - but not rich. Myrtle Beach area delivers a lot more vacation value per dollar than Hilton Head.

Edited by ChipNRun
Re-set photos

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

6 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

One excellent course in Pawley's Island is Wilbrook Plantation. This is a Don Maples design from the 1980s which winds through a rustic nature area

6 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Expand  

Wouldn't necessarily call it excellent, but it is definitely under appreciated and flies under the radar of many visitors to the area. It is not in the class of Caledonia  or True Blue, but it is worth playing if in the area. Here's a link to photos https://www.flickr.com/gp/golfcoursepix/acR8FTYm1N

8 hours ago, sabram said:

Wouldn't necessarily call it (Willbrook) excellent, but it is definitely under appreciated and flies under the radar of many visitors to the area.

image.png.580352f94919062bb8ef9a51eaf067ce.pngSabram linked into some excellent pictures of Willbrook. To left is approach on Hole No. 3.

If you lay up to the red oval area, you end up with a blind shot to the green due to the high banks of the cross bunkers.

As mentioned earlier, cross bunkers add an interesting touch to the course.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |