Rain Gear: Best stuff to keep you playing when the sky says go home.

I assume there's at least a couple crazy people like me out here who will keep playing as long as your feet stay dry and Thor doesn't swing his hammer.

What's your best recommendations for rain gear? I personally need some gloves that don't melt in the rain and I'm looking for a new umbrella.

I do have one of these HydroLite X Short Sleeve Rain Shirt - FootJoy which I really like. I need to find some shorts or pants to go with it, but I'm not sure if I should pay what FootJoy is asking. 

1 hour ago, JohnB92 said:

I assume there's at least a couple crazy people like me out here who will keep playing as long as your feet stay dry and Thor doesn't swing his hammer.

What's your best recommendations for rain gear? I personally need some gloves that don't melt in the rain and I'm looking for a new umbrella.

I do have one of these HydroLite X Short Sleeve Rain Shirt - FootJoy which I really like. I need to find some shorts or pants to go with it, but I'm not sure if I should pay what FootJoy is asking. 

I’ve had FJ, Sun Mountain, and Callaway rain gear. They all worked ok, but my next rain gear will be Proquip. On my trips to Ireland and Scotland I noticed that almost every caddie was wearing Proquip so I asked them why. They all said the same thing that it always kept them dry, was very durable, and has a lifetime warranty. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Usually play in the summer when it's hot, and everything I have tried just gets too hot.  Even simple rain vest/hoodie.  So I just have a great waterproof bag (stadry), an umbrella, a rain bucket hat, and rain gloves.  If anyone else has a better idea for when it's hot, Im all ears.  But suits me just fine. 

Yadi for President

2 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I’ve had FJ, Sun Mountain, and Callaway rain gear. They all worked ok, but my next rain gear will be Proquip. On my trips to Ireland and Scotland I noticed that almost every caddie was wearing Proquip so I asked them why. They all said the same thing that it always kept them dry, was very durable, and has a lifetime warranty. 

Proquip does not have a USA presence? Not even a website?

12 minutes ago, Bravo36 said:

Proquip does not have a USA presence? Not even a website?

Here you go. They also ship overseas. They also offer free shipping on orders over £200 ($225).

https://proquipgolf.net/product-category/proquip-mens-golf-wear/mens-waterproofs/

Edited by hammergolf
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Prices seem pretty decent as well. Going to check it out. Did they have any glove recommendations?

2 hours ago, BYK said:

Usually play in the summer when it's hot, and everything I have tried just gets too hot.  Even simple rain vest/hoodie.  So I just have a great waterproof bag (stadry), an umbrella, a rain bucket hat, and rain gloves.  If anyone else has a better idea for when it's hot, Im all ears.  But suits me just fine. 

Yuck, playing when its hot and humid. This is why I have my golf "off-season" in Gulf Coast, Texas as July and August. Gotta to take some golf trips in the summer to places that are under 90 degrees every day. No help from me sorry, if you find a method of creating portable AC machines (like space heaters), let me know. 

Edited by JohnB92

Just now, JohnB92 said:

Prices seem pretty decent as well. Going to check it out. Did they have any glove recommendations?

Yuck, playing when its hot and humid. This is why I have my golf "off-season" in Gulf Coast, Texas as July and August. Gotta to take some golf trips in the summer to places that are under 90 degrees every day. No help from me sorry, if you find a method of creating portable AC machines (like portage heaters), let me know. 

I’ve used the FJ Raingrips, and they work good. If you prefer a leather glove, there is NOTHING on the market that can compare to the Hirzl Trust Control gloves. The wetter these get the better they grip. They aren’t cheap, but grip and durability is amazing!

https://www.hirzl.one/en/golf-en/trust-control-2-en

Zero Restriction bucket hat

Zero Restriction Goretex long sleeve jacket when it’s cold, FJ Hydrolyte jacket with the lower part of the sleeves off when it’s warmer

Red Rooster rain gloves

Walter Hagen rain pants  (good enough at a fraction of the price)

Asics Gel Kayano shoes

If I’m walking, I’ve got an umbrella up on my push cart, plus a bag cover.  If I’m riding, I just play; I usually do not go thru the process of opening and closing an umbrella every time I get in or out of the cart, with the possible exception of while I’m on the green.

I don’t try to keep my grips dry, and I only use a towel to clean my clubheads.  I do keep an extra towel in my bag in case the rain stops and I need to dry my grips.

I find it better, at least mentally, to just play and not worry about staying dry.  If it rains much harder than what this setup will tolerate, there’s going to be standing water on the greens and they’re going to close the course anyway.

Edited by bluedot
  • Like 1

I went out into slightly heavy drizzle last week and wore a FJ Hydro Lite jacket, with a Nike victory windproof jumper under it - a bad idea as it wasn't breathable and made me feel like I was wet from the rain, and FJ Hydro Lite pants, over some tracksuit bottoms, and a stadry bucket hat.

For some reason, the jacket didn't produce beading like it did when I first wore it and due to the constant drizzle, I looked pretty wet, was concerned that the jacket had already wetted out after 5 wears.. but when I got home I was bone dry under the jacket. so yeah it all worked out well in the end. 

Driver - TM Stealth HD (10.5) Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li White 60

3 Wood - TM Stealth Plus Rocket (13.5) Ventus Blue 6 S

3 Hybrid - TM Stealth 2 Plus (19.5) KBS PGI 85

4 Hybrid - TM Stealth Plus (22.5) KBS PGI 90

Irons - TM P770 5-9 KBS Tour 120

Wedges - TM P770 PW 46.10SB - AW 51.10SB - MG3 - 54.11SB

Putter - TaylorMade TP Soto

2 hours ago, smojgolf said:

I went out into slightly heavy drizzle last week and wore a FJ Hydro Lite jacket, with a Nike victory windproof jumper under it - a bad idea as it wasn't breathable and made me feel like I was wet from the rain, and FJ Hydro Lite pants, over some tracksuit bottoms, and a stadry bucket hat.

For some reason, the jacket didn't produce beading like it did when I first wore it and due to the constant drizzle, I looked pretty wet, was concerned that the jacket had already wetted out after 5 wears.. but when I got home I was bone dry under the jacket. so yeah it all worked out well in the end. 

If you’re worried about the jacket, get some NikWax Tech Wash, and one of their other products that renews the waterproofing.  Don’t EVER wash a garment with a water-resistant coating with regular detergent.  (Sorry if you already know this.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bluedot said:

If you’re worried about the jacket, get some NikWax Tech Wash, and one of their other products that renews the waterproofing.  Don’t EVER wash a garment with a water-resistant coating with regular detergent.  (Sorry if you already know this.)

Did not know about the detergent. Thank you!

I have some Peter Millar stuff. Works fine for  lighter/medium rain and stylish enough that you can wear off the course. Waiting for a major trip before commiting to something better. Any local/club tourney/events that I play in around here will usually cancel if it's torrential downpour. 

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

Another plus on the Proquip rain gear I forgot to mention is that they offer different lengths in their rain pants. Really good stuff.

17 hours ago, bluedot said:

yeah, that's what I use, in fact, I just used up the last of my bottles of tech wash and TX direct waterproofer, I usually give all my rain/waterpoof jackets a yearly wash and recoating, it works pretty well too.

this winter I've been using an Under Armour Storm Revo Jacket, which has been fantastic, it's warm and waterproof. fits amazing too.

Driver - TM Stealth HD (10.5) Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li White 60

3 Wood - TM Stealth Plus Rocket (13.5) Ventus Blue 6 S

3 Hybrid - TM Stealth 2 Plus (19.5) KBS PGI 85

4 Hybrid - TM Stealth Plus (22.5) KBS PGI 90

Irons - TM P770 5-9 KBS Tour 120

Wedges - TM P770 PW 46.10SB - AW 51.10SB - MG3 - 54.11SB

Putter - TaylorMade TP Soto

There are a lot of good options for rain gear these days.  Fabric and fit are more important than brand in my opinion.  Gore-Tex is a safe, reliable choice for fabric and I like the stretch versions which allow for a better fit and are generally more quiet.  Galvin Green is my go to at present but I've owned and ZR and Sunice both of which kept me bone dry.  I prefer the Galvin Green because I find it's a good fit and most comfortable to swing the club for me.  Pants are a little more straight forward because the range of motion doesn't require anything golf specific.  You can certainly buy a golf specific but you'll generally find much better value from the outdoor stores where you can find Gore-Tex pants from a variety of reputable brands at close to half the cost of similar construction pants with golf on the tag.

On 1/27/2024 at 3:42 PM, BYK said:

This is best for hot weather.  I have ProQuip suit for most occasions (quiet, comfortable, effective).  You can easily order from the UK.  For the times I think I may be in the bad stuff, I have heavy duty Zero Restriction.  The next time I buy raingear, will go KJUS.

Where I play year round, high quality rain gear isn't really needed, but my buddies swear by Zero Restriction stuff (especially in places like Scotland or Bandon).

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

On 1/28/2024 at 7:29 PM, hammergolf said:

Another plus on the Proquip rain gear I forgot to mention is that they offer different lengths in their rain pants. Really good stuff.

How’s the fit on the jacket? My issue is typically I’m equivalent to Large in most clothes , yet in rain jackets I need XL for enough room across the shoulders.   Otherwise it’s tight across the upper back in the address position, to the point of interfering with the swing.  Even some in XL are tight, like a recent purchase of a Sun Mountain top end jacket. 

Anyone buy a Proquip in N. America and go through the return process? If so any hassle?  

On 1/27/2024 at 10:30 AM, JohnB92 said:

MY best rain gear recommendation is what I wear, and been wearing since purchase back in late 90s.  Zero Restriction Goretex Tour Jacket and matching Goretex pants.  Cost me $700-$900, then, not sure exactly.  Properly cared for, they last a long time.  I've even worn them in snow country.  Can't say they still make these, but they should have comparable. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

2 hours ago, st1800e said:

How’s the fit on the jacket? My issue is typically I’m equivalent to Large in most clothes , yet in rain jackets I need XL for enough room across the shoulders.   Otherwise it’s tight across the upper back in the address position, to the point of interfering with the swing.  Even some in XL are tight, like a recent purchase of a Sun Mountain top end jacket. 

Anyone buy a Proquip in N. America and go through the return process? If so any hassle?  

They have a size chart on the site with measurements. I’ve always tended to go on the larger side since generally when I’m wearing it I would have more than just a polo on. I haven’t had a return issue but they do have all of thst info on the site.

• Thanks 1