2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond MAX?

TmagBryce

27 minutes ago, ANimz said:

My thoughts after my first round.  I put my driver in the draw setting to see how it would effect the fade bias.  I will probably throw it back to neutral for my next round just to see which I prefer.  

It's a very forgiving driver but not a cheat code if that's what you are looking for.  I was able to work the ball a lot easier left and right vs my LTDX.  It is great for toe strikes.  I didn't have any of the 250-260 to spin shots that had been my problem shot.  

Morning round in the low 70's and I had 2 tee shots that were right at 300 yards.  So I imagine this thing will be bombing as the weather warms up.  Bad miss hits had much better dispersion but tended to be a little shorter than normal, but the driver keeps it in play.  I would expect that being a higher spinning head than the LTDX. 

Swing was grooved during the front 9 and I only missed 1 fairway.  Back 9 it got a little loose as I played through a couple groups.  I was 2 for 7 on the back with 3 legit misses.  2 were good drives that just didn't start on the line I intended.

Con of the round was 3 hooks but they were bad swings honestly.  And I am typically a draw player and had the driver in a draw setting.  Very pleased with this driver, and I can't wait to get it dialed in.  

Curious how you would compare it to LTDX. Im still in LTDX, and I must say this driver has my eye, it pains me, because I honestly am not a callaway guy. 

6 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Curious how you would compare it to LTDX. Im still in LTDX, and I must say this driver has my eye, it pains me, because I honestly am not a callaway guy. 

Same.  I had been F9, TSi3, LTDX.  I have never owned a Callaway driver.  I was getting better launch and carry dustance.  Role out didn't seem to be an issue at all.  I don't have a launch monitor to get any numbers so I will need more reps to give you any real opinion.  I can say that I had a few drives that got out there further than I would normally expect it to be in the 70's, and I wasn't shorter than the LTDX at all.  I was just in the standard LTDX.  If I recall correctly you played the LS head.  

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym AI Smoke 💎💎💎 Max, 9 deg; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

9 minutes ago, ANimz said:

Same.  I had been F9, TSi3, LTDX.  I have never owned a Callaway driver.  I was getting better launch and carry dustance.  Role out didn't seem to be an issue at all.  I don't have a launch monitor to get any numbers so I will need more reps to give you any real opinion.  I can say that I had a few drives that got out there further than I would normally expect it to be in the 70's, and I wasn't shorter than the LTDX at all.  I was just in the standard LTDX.  If I recall correctly you played the LS head.  

No, in the standard. Looking for a little more launch, but I do have a push block Im fighting right now, its definitely my swing, whats weird is my ltdx suddenly looks like it sits 5 degrees open. Probably in my head. This driver looks really good though. Any comparisons with launch spin sound and feel?

Edited by Red4282

6 minutes ago, GDB67 said:

For those that shipped their trades to callaway, have your trades been processed? I know it says on their website up to 6 days.. just wondering if anyone has any issues or trade value differences. 

They do not process trades quickly so don’t worry if it takes a while. I have never had an issue with trade values being honored. Whatever it was when you made the deal, that is what you will get. Callaway is great to deal with. But 6 days would be quick. I usually see the trade paid about 3 weeks from

the day I ship the clubs. 

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 minute ago, Red4282 said:

No, in the standard. Looking for a little more launch, but I do have a push block Im fighting right now, its definitely my swing, whats weird is my ltdx suddenly looks like it sits 5 degrees open. Probably in my head. This driver looks really good though. Any comparisons with launch spin sound and feel?

Launch is much better, that was my reason for getting out of LTDX.  I was expecting it to play similar to the F9, but the LTDX was just a lower launching head.  

TD Max face sits open in the neutral setting, so it's definitely something you should try first with consideration to your recent miss.  

I loved the sound and feel of LTDX.  TD Max is more muted.  It doesn't sound or feel as explosive, but it is.  Just have to trust it. I caught my self trying to hit it harder in a few holes just because it sounded like I wasn't hitting it as hard.  

It's a higher spinning head for sure, but what I was looking for.  LTDX used to get sub 2k spin for me.  You can hit some knuckle ball bombs with it, but I also feel like that was the reason my toe spin shots didn't really go anywhere.  It gets plenty of roll out though for having the better carry distance.  

• Like 1

Titleist u510 2 iron

14 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

This is the Neutral setting.  

20240613_113517.jpg

• Thanks 1

Titleist u510 2 iron

Had a little time to compare the AI TD Smoke 9 vs my gamer AI TD 10.5 at the range.

AI TD Smoke, easy to sent straight and turn over. Spun a little more than expected. Found myself turning it down to 8 and setting the heavy weight up front. I play the TD in (D-N), I did not see myself needing to set the Max any more upright. 

What I noticed off the bat is that I'm missing the feedback I'm receiving with my TD 10.5. I do have the heavier weight up front to bring the spin down so I may try picking up a 6g weight to put into the TD Smoke and see if that helps. 

Hopeful to get the TD Max out on course this Sunday and see how it performs with a premium ball. 

10 minutes ago, GoBlueGolf said:

Hit triple diamond max for the first time in 10.5 degree. Think I could have used a 9 degree head, but very easy to turn over and got pretty good ball speed across the face. 

Yeah, I play 10.5 in some heads, 9 degree in others. Played 10.5 in last year’s Paradym TD. I definitely fit 9 degree in the Smoke TD MAX. Not difficult to launch at all. To me it’s like a tweaked version of the standard Smoke TD that is a little easier to hit. It is not massively different. But one of the tweaks is higher launch so, for me, it has a better spin profile and flight. And it does not have fade bias. Those changes suit me. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

15 hours ago, Bigjim1022 said:

Where does the Paradym TD fit in that mix?  

image.png.e2896d4e0b1422eeb494f007cf8004ac.pngimage.png.10640302c4564a5575d3422969610bde.png

I did not game the PTD but tried it here and there but gaming AITD now and dont recall it having a right start line bias or as dramatically the difference was. I came from a LTDxLS and that thing was fade bias as any other but nowhere close to the right starting line like AITD. I also think the gearing and bulge and roll are different from last year PTD from this iteration. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ANimz said:

My thoughts after my first round.  I put my driver in the draw setting to see how it would effect the fade bias.  I will probably throw it back to neutral for my next round just to see which I prefer.  

It's a very forgiving driver but not a cheat code if that's what you are looking for.  I was able to work the ball a lot easier left and right vs my LTDX.  It is great for toe strikes.  I didn't have any of the 250-260 to spin shots that had been my problem shot.  

Morning round in the low 70's and I had 2 tee shots that were right at 300 yards.  So I imagine this thing will be bombing as the weather warms up.  Bad miss hits had much better dispersion but tended to be a little shorter than normal, but the driver keeps it in play.  I would expect that being a higher spinning head than the LTDX. 

Swing was grooved during the front 9 and I only missed 1 fairway.  Back 9 it got a little loose as I played through a couple groups.  I was 2 for 7 on the back with 3 legit misses.  2 were good drives that just didn't start on the line I intended.

Con of the round was 3 hooks but they were bad swings honestly.  And I am typically a draw player and had the driver in a draw setting.  Very pleased with this driver, and I can't wait to get it dialed in.  

I experienced the same thing on Toe hits.  I hit the toe on two straight drives, and it just didn't feel fast or powerful off the face and was expecting to get out there and see it 20 yards short of where I normally am.   And Whoa!!  Actually was about 10 yards further than my previous gamer (the TSR2)  now in full disclosure, I experienced a similar thing wit the standard Ai Smoke Triple Diamond.   I just think the face on these Ai Smokes are really all they are hyped up to be, so forgiving across the entire face. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

It may look different when I take the plastic off and get it on grass, but I swear the TD Max sits more open to my eye than the standard TD. Which doesn't make sense based off everything I've read. Then again, the face angle thing is so personal and subjective it seems. It looks really good though. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus Blue TR 6

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120 Black 

LAB DF3 Counterbalance - TPT Shaft

Took mine for first testing. Too much spin with the KBS TD which is expected since I find best results with Ventus Black or AD VF, but even with a lot of spin (3300) it was still very straight and decently long. I have a 9* head on -1N. 

Playing tomorrow and will have the VF in it. I expect good things. Can feel the forgiveness. Will be sorely disappointed if I'm wrong. 

AI Smoke TD Max 9* w/ AD VF 7x

AI Smoke TD 3W w/ Ventus Black 8x

Apex UW 19 w/ Denali Blue 80tx

G425 4H w/ Ventus Blue 9x

i530 5-U w/ AWT 2.0 S
CBX4 52/58

Phantom 11 LD

28 minutes ago, tomg1969 said:

KBS TD 60 Cat 3

Did you check with them to see if any of your components were holding up your order?  Sleeve, shaft, etc?  If none of the components are backordered, I would call and pitch a fit until you get your driver.  If they are backordered, maybe you could switch out a component to get your head?  I was just at Golf Galaxy and saw a few Max TDs there.  They seem to be everywhere leading me to believe this is all manufactured scarcity by Callaway that will disappear when the 2x trade goes away.   

10 minutes ago, KingKong said:

Took mine for first testing. Too much spin with the KBS TD which is expected since I find best results with Ventus Black or AD VF, but even with a lot of spin (3300) it was still very straight and decently long. I have a 9* head on -1N. 

Playing tomorrow and will have the VF in it. I expect good things. Can feel the forgiveness. Will be sorely disappointed if I'm wrong. 

Will be shocked if you're wrong. Fit up properly, it's a wonderfully balanced scoring tool.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

30 minutes ago, coreyhr said:

It may look different when I take the plastic off and get it on grass, but I swear the TD Max sits more open to my eye than the standard TD. Which doesn't make sense based off everything I've read. Then again, the face angle thing is so personal and subjective it seems. It looks really good though. 

It does sit a bit more open than what I've read on here and elsewhere.  I think my Smoke TD was a little more open, but the heads are considerably different shapes so it's hard to say.  If people are wondering, the head looks very much like a wide open version of the old Rogue Max LS which was quite closed, the shapes are almost identical.  

2 hours ago, Sleeky_D said:

@duck_hunter thanks for the info! Would you say both are fade-biased but not as much so as the triple Diamond heads? 

For me,i would say both the Mavrk Max SD and PAISMTD are pretty straight, not fade biased at all, like the Paradym TD that i traded in.

• Thanks 1

Mavrk Max SD

Mavrk Max 15
TSi2 21 7wd

Apex Pro 26
 i230 4-PW
MD5 50s/54X/58W/60T
Futura 5S

5 hours ago, GDB67 said:

For those that shipped their trades to callaway, have your trades been processed? I know it says on their website up to 6 days.. just wondering if anyone has any issues or trade value differences. 

They are saying 10-14 days for awhile now when you call.  I have never had any issued with trade values but I also don't send any junk/beat up clubs so that may be different for some.

4 hours ago, coreyhr said:

In the picture I posted above, it shows the sweet spot is pretty flush along the line in the tile, and it looks like it curves heel and toe.  It might just be the curvature and being able to see the loft/clubface on the driver at address.  I don't know that I have played a driver like that thinking about it.  

• Like 1

Titleist u510 2 iron

4 hours ago, ike31197 said:

It does sit a bit more open than what I've read on here and elsewhere.  I think my Smoke TD was a little more open, but the heads are considerably different shapes so it's hard to say.  If people are wondering, the head looks very much like a wide open version of the old Rogue Max LS which was quite closed, the shapes are almost identical.  

Agree.  TD MAX looks stretched out compared to the TD models in general.  The one I tested earlier this year was 0.5 degrees open according to my head pro who let me borrow it for a day.  He said this was based off the sticker when Cally sent it over to him.  I did mention in another thread about how closed the Rogue MAX LS head was when I tested it.  I knew it's not just me who saw this. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

5 hours ago, ike31197 said:

Did you check with them to see if any of your components were holding up your order?  Sleeve, shaft, etc?  If none of the components are backordered, I would call and pitch a fit until you get your driver.  If they are backordered, maybe you could switch out a component to get your head?  I was just at Golf Galaxy and saw a few Max TDs there.  They seem to be everywhere leading me to believe this is all manufactured scarcity by Callaway that will disappear when the 2x trade goes away.   

Yes, i called when it was first listed on the site as backordered. At that point is was only backordered for one week. They said it wasn’t a problem with any of the components. Said it was not really a back order, but kore of a

backlog because they were busy. 
a few days later I checked again and the delivery date had moved to late August. 

1 hour ago, tomg1969 said:

Yes, i called when it was first listed on the site as backordered. At that point is was only backordered for one week. They said it wasn’t a problem with any of the components. Said it was not really a back order, but kore of a

backlog because they were busy. 
a few days later I checked again and the delivery date had moved to late August. 

That's crazy.  You should call and make a big issue of it up and up the chain until they send you your driver.  No reason you shouldn't have gotten one based on your order date.  I'd be pissed.  Sorry man.  

Just now, ike31197 said:

That's crazy.  You should call and make a big issue of it up and up the chain until they send you your driver.  No reason you shouldn't have gotten one based on your order date.  I'd be pissed.  Sorry man.  

Yea…..pretty annoying especially considering what I’ve spent with Callaway over the last couple years. 
I ordered one online from Golf Galaxy that should be here tomorrow. 
I may still call and let them know that I’m not a happy guy. 
I also had a mini driver in my cart, had to run into a meeting and when I finished and tried to check out, it was no longer available. Lol

Not my week to buy Callaway I guess. 

33 minutes ago, Cstobaugh said:

I’m guessing they are permanently out of stock and I’m out of luck? Wanting to do the 2x trade-in. 

Do the 2x trade-in for something else in the Smoke family.  Then you can process a return for a gift card once you receive whatever you ordered.  Save it for the next release or use it for whatever.  I found this out on accident, nothing nefarious but it was nice to know how the return process works when a pending trade is involved.  Callaway's customer service is amazing.    

Had a moment of crisis with this driver on the range today, about had a heart attack lol.  I hit several bombs in a row and looked at the bottom of the club to check tee marks/swing path and I thought I had cracked the head.  I'm sharing for the hilarity/stupidity, but also because someone else might notice the same.  Some dark range crud had gathered perfectly on one of the raised lines on plastic bottom.  I've cracked drivers before and this looked ominous.  After a moment of panic, I realized my mistake and wiped off my club.  😅