2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond MAX?

TmagBryce

37 minutes ago, pelotonjon said:

Has anyone tried it with Autoflex?  Wondering how I would swingweight it with an Autoflex at 45.5…

Paging @Carolina Golfer 2

• Haha 3

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Wilson Staff Model RB Utility (3 or 4?) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 90

Wilson Dynapower Forged 5-G UST Recoil Dart 105

Wilson Staff Model ZM 56°-12° (Bent to 55°) and 60°-06° 

Royal Payne RP009 359g KBS GPS

Has anyone tried a heavy front and back weight at standard length?  I want to try it, but have no clue what weights to buy.  

Driver: Paradym AI Smoke 💎💎💎 Max, 9 deg; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

Quick review on my TD Max.

I originally had the TD in 10.5, Denali black 70 6.5... it launched a little low, so picked up the motore x 60x.  I liked the lighter shaft, but still had to loft it up 1.  Definitely fade bias.  Would occasionally hit a low spin ball that would just fall out of the sky.  

Tried the TD Max in 10.5 with same motore x... Much more neutral flight.  Slightly higher ball flight and no low spin knuckles... 

Couple observations:

The regular TD did not like to be hit higher on the face.  It gave a much different sound and just didn't go anywhere.   Toe side strikes were dead... Just no speed retention on slight toe strikes.  The TD Max has a more shallow face that sounds better across the face, even when above the equator.  Toe strikes with TD Max don't seem to hook much and retain more ball speed. 

Overall, I'm much happier with the TD Max.  

• Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth 2 10.5* driver 

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 3 wood

Adams tour proto 20 hybrid

Titleist t100s (4-pw)

Vokey sm9 52/58 wedges 

Scotty fastback 1.5 putter

1 hour ago, KingKong said:

Sounds like user error. 

I can relate to that.

Gamed a 10k 10.5 head with my Diamana GT60 shaft today and really enjoyed the experience. The head looks HUGE compared to my AI Smoke Max and sounds a bit funky (not G425 vulgar) so I’d like to try the AI Smoke TD Max too.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5 degrees Driver/MCA Diamana GT 60 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 LST 3 wood/15.0 degree (@ 17)/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey Ai One Cruiser Jail Bird 38” putter/Stroke Lab 140 double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

Went out for another 9 today and FINALLY had a bad day driving the ball. I got to see how the head reacts when I use the whole face.

Still awesome.

I've never had such a fast and workable head (which i dont need at all, I just wanna hit it straight lol) react so well to mis-hits. I used the ENTIRE FACE today and most of my drives were still in play and allowed for plenty of par opportunities. I played 3 ball just practicing and my worst shot was either a playable push which went plenty far or an over draw/pull draw that was OB but nothing crazy.

For a 'players head' this thing is crazy forgiving, for me.

It's rare I'm this confident in a driver hear after only a week. I usually have to test 9 hosel configs and 17 shafts - but this TD M fit right into my gamer shaft and off we went.

• Like 2

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

I put it up against my Triple Diamond and I just couldn't get the same consistent start lines that I get with my TD. Same shaft and head weight, but kept getting heel strikes and starting lines left of where I prefer. Great looking head though. Might have gotten it dialed in if I gave it more time, but I just really like my TD so going to stick with it. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus Blue TR 6

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120 Black 

LAB DF3 Counterbalance - TPT Shaft

On 6/16/2024 at 12:32 PM, pelotonjon said:

Has anyone tried it with Autoflex?  Wondering how I would swingweight it with an Autoflex at 45.5…

Yes, I have the Autoflex SF405 in it and it is fantastic.  I'm playing it at 45.5" Which is the length I had my AF ordered for the original Triple Diamond.  I did not get to request SW since I bought it off the rack in GG.   But I have had great results with it the one round and one on course practice session that I've used it. I have the 10G weight in Rear and 4g in front.   Really no reason to swtich them at this point, I'm getting the launch I like and getting about as much distance as I'm capable of 😉

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I just went down to ny golf center in midtown Manhattan to try some drivers

hit the regular ai smoke with the Ventus black x and was maxing around 285. Then one of the guys there handed me a triple diamond in the Denali black x and my first swing went 315. Didn’t expect the td to work for me.

then I spotted the unicorn hiding in the back. A td max demo in Denali black x

3 swings of 330 plus and I had to walk out with it. I was trying to murder it and it just went straight . Those swings would be all over with my current hzrdus yellow 75g x rogue sub zero

Last one was 333, 11.7 launch angle, 121/179 speed, 320 carry, spin ~2700. Yes please

I am still curious to try a hzrdus black or green Rdx and maybe bring the spin down, but I can’t really argue with these numbers. 

love this driver

Edited by scb_
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 1mcozik said:

Anyone tried to order one through PGA Superstore? I'm told it's on backorder until Aug 2024 but their website shows its available to ship lol.

Yep. I saw the same thing so ordered from them last weekend. Expected the shipping email on Monday but never came. Tuesday still nothing. Called them and was told back ordered till August. Order canceled and ordered another one from GG. Showed up Saturday. 

• Thanks 1

All these praises for the TD Max prompted me to order one.  Ordered from GG yesterday, with a 15% discount for signing up for texts and then a $40 reward to use for something else.  Not a bad deal.

It comes with the stock Denali Blue stiff shaft.  I game the OG TD currently, and have lots of shafts to try from experimenting last year.  Very eager to get this in hand.  I have a tracking number already but no tender to FedEx yet, fwiw.

• Like 1

I have the 9* head. I'm not a high-speed player and my driver speed tops out around 93mph in practice, probably less on the course, but I've enjoyed the lower spin versions of Callaway heads including the Epic Max LS, Rogue Max LS, Paradym TD and now I've been trying out the AI Smoke TD Max. 

I'm getting some really good results in range sessions where I can hit 8-10 drivers in a row. I like the tight, penetrating draw I'm seeing from this one. I'm going through some swing changes right now and it's been a little dicey out on the course but I need to learn to trust that what's working at the range will translate eventually. 

I haven't been on Trackman much lately but I hit a few on it last week. The spin I'm getting is around 2,000 which honestly may not be enough for my swing speed. 

Since the trade in deal is still going I sent Callaway a few things and I have an AI Smoke Max 9* inbound. There will be a shootout. I may need the extra launch and spin from the Max to get my best data most often. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1mcozik said:

Anyone tried to order one through PGA Superstore? I'm told it's on backorder until Aug 2024 but their website shows its available to ship lol.

Just ordered one in 10.5 from them at the store and they told me it would ship in 3-5 days since it was "In-stock" they did accept the Callaway trade in Bonus however thier trade in value was $24 less on the AI Smoke Max I traded in or $48 in total than on Callaway.com trade calc. with 100% bonus.  

• Thanks 1

So I hit all three heads today. Ill admit Ive been asleep on Callaway woods for as long as I can remember. Just never been a fan of the looks, and honestly their marketing/branding. But whoever was responsible for this lineup deserves a raise. All three were really good and offered something different. Ive been struggling with the push fade, and for whatever reason everything today was straight or a draw. Golf man… lol 🤷‍♂️

First, the max Immediately launched the ball into the moon, was getting 15-17 launch consistently and approximately 2600-3100 spin. The ball hardly ever curved on me regardless of strike. It did seem to be a decent amount shorter, was only carrying it 270ish for 285 total. For that head to work for me, Id likely have to loft down quite a bit. This head would be great for someone who is just inconsistent all over with strike and needs height. 

The TD, was really better than I thought it would be. Its a beautiful head. Hit the 9* head and my launch was about 9-11* consistently but interesting enough my spin was actually not too low and very good. Was seeing 2000-2400ish. Definitely a bit more curve on the ball, but still no wild ones, and speed retention was really good. Was carrying it 280ish, total just around 300. This head would be excellent for some who hits up on the ball, and lives toe side. I could definitely play this head if I changed my AOA a bit. My only somewhat issue was it did sit a bit open. i know alot if players love that, but I dont. However I really didnt lose any right. 

Finally the TD MAX. Wow, what a driver. Just on looks alone its a 10/10 to my eyes. Sits square. 9* head, actually launched very Similar to the TD, for me anyways, maybe a tick up (10-12). Spin however was definitely up, Id say around 2200-2700 range. Started to pick up the speed towards the end and saw a few that carried 297 with 318 total. This is just an all around great head, although I found it closer to the TD than to the MAX. 

Bottom line, well done Callaway. If only you didnt put a stupid name on it, you might have made the perfect woods lineup…oh yea the fairways, while i didnt hit them, looked great as well. 

• Thanks 1

Finally played my first round with my TD Max.  Gotta say it's pretty point and shoot.  Came from the TD.  I'll echo the sentiment that I think if I hit both on the screws the TD is a tad longer.  However my miss with the TD was kind of a heel cut.  I found the TD Max to be much easier to turn over and was hitting everything dead straight today.  Overall I think its a keeper.  

• Like 1

Kind of hate that I need to take a shot in the dark with this thing if I want it. 

I am currently playing a Mavrik SZ that I think is an absolute bomber. But looking for something a touch more forgiving. 

I play a 10.5 SZ, should I stay with a 10.5 in the TD max or a 9 based on launch profile?

I tend to hit up on it a bit 

7 hours ago, KonaV821 said:

I had a week of testing the TDmax vs original TD. I'm not getting the results like everyone else haha. I just hit the original TD straighter. The TD max goes left more than I'd like. May tinker with it a bit more but may end up in BST. 

I found this true as well. I do not want ball going left, my miss is left and my bad days are further left. I know that’s user but I want whatever driver and shaft go the least left. So I ended up with TSR3 TB 60s. I got the stock Denali blue in mine it just didn’t work for first two rounds. Unfortunately I do not have that shaft with Cally tip. The OG DI series I get along with really well in my TSR3 as well. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Yes, I have the Autoflex SF405 in it and it is fantastic.  I'm playing it at 45.5" Which is the length I had my AF ordered for the original Triple Diamond.  I did not get to request SW since I bought it off the rack in GG.   But I have had great results with it the one round and one on course practice session that I've used it. I have the 10G weight in Rear and 4g in front.   Really no reason to swtich them at this point, I'm getting the launch I like and getting about as much distance as I'm capable of 😉

How fast do you swing, I tried Autoflex in a Rogue LS a couple years ago and it wasn’t to bad. I do not swing fast anymore but found if I did try shaft felt like a noodle. 

1 hour ago, Sep said:

Kind of hate that I need to take a shot in the dark with this thing if I want it. 

I am currently playing a Mavrik SZ that I think is an absolute bomber. But looking for something a touch more forgiving. 

I play a 10.5 SZ, should I stay with a 10.5 in the TD max or a 9 based on launch profile?

I tend to hit up on it a bit 

If you like the Mav SZ get a regular TD, not the TD M. You'll like it much more.

• Like 1

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

I picked up a 10.5° TD Max yesterday during the 2X event and traded in my Paradym TD in same configuration.  This was the only head the GT was getting so no 9° head to compare against so trusted MY instincts.  Installed head in Ventus TR Blue and dialed into same specs, D, -1°.  1st trip to range today and wow…ball just exploded off the face.  I am not sure of distance but it felt, sounded and looked longer compared to my Paradym TD.

Cannot wait to get this on course and see how it behaves!

10 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

If you like the Mav SZ get a regular TD, not the TD M. You'll like it much more.

I appreciate you weighing in on the topic. I’ve noticed you’re pretty knowledgeable in this thread. 

i demo’d a stock TD max vs a TD last week. Didn’t have my best swing that day, so it was tough to gauge. But regular TD was flying so much farther.

i can turn over the SZ pretty much on command, but the “point and shoot” miss is a leaky right swing. 

maybe I’ll get dialed in with a TD and fitted shaft. 

1 minute ago, Sep said:

I appreciate you weighing in on the topic. I’ve noticed you’re pretty knowledgeable in this thread. 

i demo’d a stock TD max vs a TD last week. Didn’t have my best swing that day, so it was tough to gauge. But regular TD was flying so much farther.

i can turn over the SZ pretty much on command, but the “point and shoot” miss is a leaky right swing. 

maybe I’ll get dialed in with a TD and fitted shaft. 

The Mav SZ was a low spin unforgiving launch monitor queen. If you like it and can tame it you can play anything. The new AI TD would be the perfect upgrade - more forgiveness (spin retention) across the face but still low spin - and with the right hosel settings and shaft could be a great upgrade if you like it. I mean the TD M could be a good upgrade as well, but coming from the Mav SZ I think you'll want something more neutral to fade biased and lower spin but doing further testing will confirm.

• Like 1