Broomstick or Armlock?

snapperhead

Trying to find a workaround for bad case of the yips. My right hand/arm just jumps or flinches on downstroke. Really bad on long puts. I've tried multiple grips, claw, saw, pencil, left hand low etc.. Tried extended counterbalanced putters as well as short putters. Nothing helps.   LAB broomsticks are expensive and I would like to have confidence that it would fix my issue before ordering one. Same with armlock putters. Any guidance appreciated.

1 minute ago, snapperhead said:

Trying to find a workaround for bad case of the yips. My right hand/arm just jumps or flinches on downstroke. Really bad on long puts. I've tried multiple grips, claw, saw, pencil, left hand low etc.. Tried extended counterbalanced putters as well as short putters. Nothing helps.   LAB broomsticks are expensive and I would like to have confidence that it would fix my issue before ordering one. Same with armlock putters. Any guidance appreciated.

Once the new Odyssey cruiser line is in stores, you might want to go try those out. It seems like one of those will be what you want.

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5*

Callaway Paradym TD 15*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46, 50, 54

Callaway JAWS Raw Full Toe 58

Taylormade Spider GTX Armlock

19 minutes ago, POKeefe said:

Once the new Odyssey cruiser line is in stores, you might want to go try those out. It seems like one of those will be what you want.

I don't yip in practice putting or playing alone, just when playing in dogfights and games at the course. The only way to know what helps is to put in action. Just inquiring whether anyone else has solved this issue with either the broomstick or armlock. These putters are too expensive to experiment with. No one at my club has either one to try.

Just now, snapperhead said:

I don't yip in practice putting or playing alone, just when playing in dogfights and games at the course. The only way to know what helps is to put in action. Just inquiring whether anyone else has solved this issue with either the broomstick or armlock. These putters are too expensive to experiment with. No one at my club has either one to try.

I tried the Armlock and it didn’t help. Felt too awkward to get it aligned and consistent. Ended up finding more consistency with as shorter counterbalanced putter with both pointer fingers down. Not sure if left pointer finger down would help you at all, but it is helpful to me. Can’t speak to a broomstick as I’ve thought about one but haven’t tried it. Some companies do have try and return programs though.

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5*

Callaway Paradym TD 15*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46, 50, 54

Callaway JAWS Raw Full Toe 58

Taylormade Spider GTX Armlock

9 minutes ago, snapperhead said:

how would any of us be able to answer this ? You’re going to have to try it. 

• Like 1

Armlock didn't work for me, knew it within 15 minutes of messing around. The broomstick on the other hand has become a really solid candidate for a permanent spot in my bag. I also did not want to spend what an LAB costs. My alternative was to find one of the old odyssey 2 ball heads that were made for belly putters. The head says "long" on the bottom. This was a cheap way to just build a long putter with a normal shaft extension and give it a try. All together I am $120 into the project. I have much better speed control with the broomstick and don't feel like putting is the worst part of my game currently. 

• Like 1

I know exactly how you feel. As soon as any pressure is there, it can strike you down. You just can't make putts because you're trying no more than to get the ball absolutely stone dead. This ended my short time on tour years ago so i can relate. Let me tell you i tried the lot, everything. As for broomstick vs  armlock i'd say go to broom. I found the armlocks so weird with the hands forward extra loft position i could never get anywhere close, and crucially i still feel there's more room to twitch in there. Find a cheapish broom job you're comfortable with, get to know the method, then buy a more expensive one you really like.

• Like 1

I've tried counterbalanced, armlock and broomstick putters to counter a yip stroke.  I've moved on to Face On and still had the problem.  None of them worked. 

The only thing that helps me is to be 100% commited to the stroke I visualize.  If it goes 20% long or short or way off line, as long as I have full commitment to the stroke, I'm happy.  I just need to visualze better.  I am putting much better as a result.

I had the bad habit of thinking just as I got the end of my back swing...  it's going to be short / long / left / right.  My attempt to compensate mid stroke caused a world class yip.  It hasn't been nearly as bad lately.

I’ve used both armlock and broomstick. Used to have a couple dozen putters cluttering my office but now have only 3. 1 LAB armlock and 2 LAB broomsticks. 

I would recommend trying to find both used first. If you’re trying to stick to a particular brand like LAB I’d send in a fitting video of both set ups and gets your specs. Keep your eye out on used clubs and try and order one. If you don’t like it after a few weeks you can recoup what you spent. 

I personally prefer broomstick after switching to it. Took a couple weeks to get my set up and what was comfortable but been a game changer. Only downside is when traveling fitting the tall clubs into my travel case lol

On 2/17/2024 at 3:17 PM, Broken3wood said:

Armlock didn't work for me, knew it within 15 minutes of messing around. The broomstick on the other hand has become a really solid candidate for a permanent spot in my bag. I also did not want to spend what an LAB costs. My alternative was to find one of the old odyssey 2 ball heads that were made for belly putters. The head says "long" on the bottom. This was a cheap way to just build a long putter with a normal shaft extension and give it a try. All together I am $120 into the project. I have much better speed control with the broomstick and don't feel like putting is the worst part of my game currently. 

This is the route I'm going too. Tried an armlock but the setup was too funky for me and I still felt way too hunched over and uncomfortable. Have a double wide that i'm going to strip the grip, add a plug to get it to 45 and then just bend the shaft to proper loft/lie 

I’m the odd man out. When it was unbearable, armlock worked well for me. I just couldn’t get used to the broomstick.

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver - Titleist TSR3

3 Wood - PING G425 LST 

Hybrid - Titleist TSR2

Irons (4-PW): Mizuno Pro 223

Wedges: Mizuno T24 - 50*, 56*

Putter: Cameron '23 Phantom X 5

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

On 2/17/2024 at 12:56 PM, snapperhead said:

I’ve been wanting to try a broomstick myself but I’ve been rolling it so good with the standard DF 2.1 that I’ve not looked too hard for a broom. Also I’m not sure what size I would need. Seems like most I see used are 45”, but I’m 6’4” tall and question if that would be long enough.  But to answer your original question Lucas Glover put one in play and won the next two PGA events which were both prime competition events. If it’s the tips you have I’d give it a try and use the cigar grip before they get worse. 

Just got a spider GTx armlock to mess around with. Using a pencil grip on it feels unbelievably stable. Intrigued to use it on course - I feel from 10’ and in it’ll be automatic. #colormeintrigued

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I don’t know if it was a right hand issue or what, but I was not a good putter. I picked up a LAB armlock during the holiday sale, and as soon as I rolled one, I thought “ah, so that’s what a smooth putting stroke feels like.”  I haven’t tried broomstick, and still might, but my DF 2.1 armlock will be on BST shortly because the upgraded version just arrived and will be in the bag for this year.  It’s night and day compared to the instability with other putters (including other LABs—I believe in the tech, but that alone was not my issue).  Just my 2c…

16 minutes ago, manVSgolf said:

Anyone else feel like Armlock should get banned?  It’s clearly anchoring.  

Before I get creamed, I want to say I love variety putting.  I rotate between CB, standard, and broomstick.  But anchoring is anchoring.

I feel like it is anchoring, but even the wife doesn’t care what I think.

• Haha 3

Whatever works.

I have been arm locking for most of the past 6 months as I get a little “fidgety” inside 5 feet. Like it in shorter but sure isn’t a comfortable stroke outside of 20 feet. Ordered an older ping broomstick last night to see if that frees up my stroke on the longer ones but still reliable in closer. Will report back after I have a week or two under my belt 

I tried both not because of yips. but trying something that might be better.  Went back to conventional.  That said you should give them a try.  The one important thing is you have to get the fit right with both armlock and broomstick styles.  People talk about they were weird or awkward which is because of the fit. 

19 hours ago, manVSgolf said:

Anyone else feel like Armlock should get banned?  It’s clearly anchoring.  

Before I get creamed, I want to say I love variety putting.  I rotate between CB, standard, and broomstick.  But anchoring is anchoring.

Based on the definition of anchoring I say yes.  That said I do not feel there is an advantage to the belly, broomstick or armlock.  If there was every tour player would be doing it.  It does help for some, but not all.  USGA did a poor job with this rule change, but don't get me started on the USGA.  It would have been better to say no putters over 36".  Players are always going to find a way to modify any anchoring style if possible.

• Like 1

Well got the new (10 year old) ping broomstick in and have 2 rounds in with zero practice time. Initial thoughts are promising. The head weighs a ton. Feels like swinging an anchor, which does make it hard to flinch on. Will take some time to figure out backswing/ through swing as you cannot rush or jam it through the hitting zone ( which I think will be a good thing long term) 

getting to the putting green tomorrow for some work 

• 2 weeks later...

2 plus weeks in with the broom and going back to armlock. I could not get the speed right on anything outside 20 feet, and the touch on steep uphill or downhill puts was terrible. Did like it inside 10 feet but not better than the armlock. 
in the process of converting a spider x to armlock now and ordered the evnroll midlock grip which seems to make sense for conversions as it keeps your hands in relatively the same position as a short putter but with the benefit of the large knob locking it in to the arm 

• 2 weeks later...

Well 10 days in with my spider convert to armlock and love it. The evnroll grip helps keep my hands in a similar position as a traditional putter, but with the benefit of being “locked in” with the protruding pistol anchored into my left forearm. Tried some heavier weights in the putter head due to the lengthening but ended up taking them out as I think the longer length helped increase the swing weight as is. Great spider alignment, locked in feel, hoping that this lasts longer than the honeymoon phase. 
anyone else having luck with armlock ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mcdgolfsalot said:

Well 10 days in with my spider convert to armlock and love it. The evnroll grip helps keep my hands in a similar position as a traditional putter, but with the benefit of being “locked in” with the protruding pistol anchored into my left forearm. Tried some heavier weights in the putter head due to the lengthening but ended up taking them out as I think the longer length helped increase the swing weight as is. Great spider alignment, locked in feel, hoping that this lasts longer than the honeymoon phase. 
anyone else having luck with armlock ? 

Will you walk me through the steps you went through to modify to armlock?

shaft, length, grip , bending etc…

I have a broomstick coming to try and if I don’t like I will try turning a softer face into armlock as I liked the delmonte armlock but hated the feel of the face. 

For sure! I started with my spider copper with mid slant and stuck an old shaft in the end and cut it down several times, starting at 43”. Found that too long and tried 41.5 then 40.5 which felt perfect 

went with the evnroll midlock 17” grip which as a large 1.75” pistol grip turned sideways so the bump rests on the left arm which allows my arms /grip to feel very normal to a standard length putter with the benefit of locking into my forearm. Right now it is probably a few degrees flatter than ideal but going to roll it for a while and then look at going a little more upright ( again a degree or two at a time) 

I swapped out the spider 2 gram weights with 12 gram weights ($20 for the two on amazon) but ended up going back to the lighter weights 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mcdgolfsalot said:

For sure! I started with my spider copper with mid slant and stuck an old shaft in the end and cut it down several times, starting at 43”. Found that too long and tried 41.5 then 40.5 which felt perfect 

went with the evnroll midlock 17” grip which as a large 1.75” pistol grip turned sideways so the bump rests on the left arm which allows my arms /grip to feel very normal to a standard length putter with the benefit of locking into my forearm. Right now it is probably a few degrees flatter than ideal but going to roll it for a while and then look at going a little more upright ( again a degree or two at a time) 

I swapped out the spider 2 gram weights with 12 gram weights ($20 for the two on amazon) but ended up going back to the lighter weights 

Thanks!!

I was the same boat and tried armlock and HATED it.  I couldn't get alignment or speed or anything right on it.

Went side saddle and became a pretty solid putter.  It was the easiest change I've ever made in golf.  Maybe because I was so bad with a short putter anything was better.  But I hit my lines at such a higher rate than with a short putter.  Speed takes practice for sure and outside 40ish ft its kind of a craps shoot.  After I got used to it, I don't honestly have to practice hitting my lines too much because I just do it, so when I'm warming up all I do is hit putts across the practice green to work on my speed.

I'd fully recommend it, it is such a shock to the system it made the switch easier for sure.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

• 2 weeks later...

Just an anecdote, for those experimenting—I have been playing around with armlock for a few months now, both on the putting mat and on the course. What works best for me (with a LAB 2.1 armlock) is to have the ball quite forward, just inside my front foot. My eyeline is behind the ball, and I putt “heads up”; looking at the path of the ball. As long as I don’t decelerate (and the big heavy putter head helps with this), the swing that is encouraged by the armlock (a rotation of the upper body, very little hand or arm changes) produces a reliable result for me.  Just like any golf swing, failure to set up properly throws things off, but for me, this is a consistent setup.