2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 Wilson staff review

southpaw72

2 hours ago, jibbs1082 said:

Curious what your index is, level of play, some LM generalized numbers that might help. Based on your glowing feedback from the Cobra Tours (similar to T100's) maybe I am ready to make the jump. Have always been in love with a blade look at address.. just haven't felt confident enough with dead shots losing "too much" distance and spin control.

Currently a 7.5... irons typically aren't a problem, tend to lose my strokes greenside, and more specifically terrible putting.

Lastly, do you find the polished finish bothersome in high sun days? Brushed or mat irons are definitely easier with glare IMO despite the fact I "like" the look of polished better.

Thanks!!

7 hc with irons being the predominant strength of my game and the driver being my absolute downfall. Putting and short game reflective of my index I would say. I haven’t been on a LM in months and have never been with these so I can’t offer much there. I have played these for a few rounds and can honestly say they are way more forgiving than they should be. I’m not having any issue with these down to the long irons at all. I’m so glad I didn’t combo. Of course ymmv but I think I’m not alone in saying these are forgiving for what they are. 

The chrome has been a non issue for me so far.

I was in love with the cobra tours and they beat out the t100 for me when I demo’d but what I didn’t love was trying to keep them flighted down in the wind. I had $130 shafts in them and was losing long irons to the sky at times and couldn’t really keep a p-7 down as much as I like for the way I see the shot. I’m no world class ball striker but I couldn’t be more confident in these and my handicap has dropped with two rounds being able to be posted in scoring season. 

(also put the g400max back in the bag off the tee so everything is just getting better and better from me)

3 hours ago, jibbs1082 said:

Awesome review, man these look sweet. Kinda makes me feel nostalgic to a throwback of my youth in the 80s. Personally I am getting tired of the over kill of big brand marketing on youtube golf, etc... the big brands have started to turn me off with a feeling of strategy has shifted from R&D to almost over marketing any sort of new small technology. Really turned off by the Stealth & Stealth 2 in particular. PXGs are overkill now, and Muira seems to be trending that way with influencers leading the story telling.

All that aside...

Thinking of making the move full time from T-100s to a blade. Actually grew up on Hogan Radials, which if you want to talk about criminal feedback for mishits - these take the cake. I have been shopping around, never really hit the Titelist CBs or Mizuno MPs well and it kind of stalled my pursuit. These look so clean and are kind of under the radar it has me itching again. I've noticed with my T-100s when I am striking well, I get just this standard straight ball flight, so am interested if I actually do want some increased workability.

Curious what your index is, level of play, some LM generalized numbers that might help. Based on your glowing feedback from the Cobra Tours (similar to T100's) maybe I am ready to make the jump. Have always been in love with a blade look at address.. just haven't felt confident enough with dead shots losing "too much" distance and spin control.

Currently a 7.5... irons typically aren't a problem, tend to lose my strokes greenside, and more specifically terrible putting.

Lastly, do you find the polished finish bothersome in high sun days? Brushed or mat irons are definitely easier with glare IMO despite the fact I "like" the look of polished better.

Thanks!!

You should take a look at the TXG/Club Champion vid where Ian hits both the blade & CB. The numbers were pretty much neck & neck. If your iron game is strong you won't be missing a thing playing the blades. 

Seconding that the glare is a non issue. Other than catching a stray beam while actually reaching for a club out of the bag there's not much to worry about. Haven't had a single problem with the OG blades and I've had them since 2020.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 2:35 PM, southpaw72 said:

Well 3-p blades made their way to me a few days ago and today was maiden voyage. I know a few of you were interested in a review from the pre release thread so here we go.

First impression. I had a custom order. I received them within 10 days. I had a lie, length, grip and shaft custom options. They arrived in a neat box saying custom fit etc. was a nice touch.  They accommodated every request like grips logo down etc. it was all perfect down to the packing slip assuring quality and every build spec.

We’re still on mats so it’s hard to say a lot about one range session but on the course I was sold. Turf interaction was awesome. I haven’t played blades since I benched my MB2’s a little while ago and have been in love with my Cobra Tours. I have missed the options a nice sleek blade gives you. I  found these generously forgiving for a blade both in feel and flight. I knew exactly where I stuck the ball but it was never harsh. I have zero Lm numbers to offer but I found the flight more piercing (which I was after) with plenty of spin. It’s also worth mentioning I was playing my winter ball a maxfli tour s and it was 40*.  They look great, they feel great and my iron play today was as good as it’s been especially coming out of winter. Played the par 3’s even and scored better with an iron approach than with a wedge but that’s a sad story for another time. 

Feel- as I mentioned you instantly knew if you were a little toe side heel side etc, but it wasn’t insulting. I really loved the feel of these. They have a very solid “dense” feel when you’re flushing them. I much prefer that feel to a marshmallow, which coming from the king tours that’s what they felt like and it’s great in its own way but just different. They weren’t clicky like some titleist forgings just “solid”. I play a hot melted driver, stainless putter, and now these so I guess I’m a big fan of that dense softness. I hope 1% of that makes sense 

One thing I did find I’ll need to work through is the longer irons 3,4 I was really losing the ball to an exaggerated cut but I think that’s a little bit of a feel issue I’ll get through with these and not completely new for me anyway. 

TLDR go buy some Wilson’s and add another major win to their record. 

Pictured is the 5 iron

IMG_5949.jpeg

IMG_5950.jpeg

IMG_5951.jpeg

IMG_5948.jpeg

I agree.  Nice review and they look really nice.  I've been super impressed with Wilson as of late.  Doin lots of things right!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

You should take a look at the TXG/Club Champion vid where Ian hits both the blade & CB. The numbers were pretty much neck & neck. If your iron game is strong you won't be missing a thing playing the blades. 

Seconding that the glare is a non issue. Other than catching a stray beam while actually reaching for a club out of the bag there's not much to worry about. Haven't had a single problem with the OG blades and I've had them since 2020.

Exactly what I was thinking after watching that video. I think at least P-5 I will get some significant gains and playability with my strikes. Might consider keeping 3/4 as a CB and mixing the bag - seems a lot of pro's are doing this, but I don't know yet. Will have to hit the longer irons and see.

Have noticed the glare with my wedges at times, and just figured it was worth considering...granted wedges at address sit with a lot more face showing upwards.

TM Qi10LS 8*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series 70 Flex-X

PXG 0341 X Gen 2 3W 15*, Devotion 75 Flex 04 (S) 

Titleist T-100 (2019) 3-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Flex S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

Titleist Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5

19 hours ago, southpaw72 said:

7 hc with irons being the predominant strength of my game and the driver being my absolute downfall. Putting and short game reflective of my index I would say. I haven’t been on a LM in months and have never been with these so I can’t offer much there. I have played these for a few rounds and can honestly say they are way more forgiving than they should be. I’m not having any issue with these down to the long irons at all. I’m so glad I didn’t combo. Of course ymmv but I think I’m not alone in saying these are forgiving for what they are. 

The chrome has been a non issue for me so far.

I was in love with the cobra tours and they beat out the t100 for me when I demo’d but what I didn’t love was trying to keep them flighted down in the wind. I had $130 shafts in them and was losing long irons to the sky at times and couldn’t really keep a p-7 down as much as I like for the way I see the shot. I’m no world class ball striker but I couldn’t be more confident in these and my handicap has dropped with two rounds being able to be posted in scoring season. 

(also put the g400max back in the bag off the tee so everything is just getting better and better from me)

This is great feedback and appreciate it. I think it's due time to make the jump to blades! You gotta play something you LOVE looking at.

Did you keep the same shafts you played in the Cobra Tours? I probably tested 10-12 when buying my T100s and settled on a x-stiff option with a lower kickpoint mainly because I really liked the responsive feedback and 'feel' at impact... not because they necessarily produced significant better launch numbers. Just curious if switching to a blade, I should get refitted for shafts to have them marry up more properly with a new head. Might be overthinking it for my skill level, but isn't that what we all do in here? Any edge (physical or mental) helps right?? 🙂 

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, jibbs1082 said:

This is great feedback and appreciate it. I think it's due time to make the jump to blades! You gotta play something you LOVE looking at.

Did you keep the same shafts you played in the Cobra Tours? I probably tested 10-12 when buying my T100s and settled on a x-stiff option with a lower kickpoint mainly because I really liked the responsive feedback and 'feel' at impact... not because they necessarily produced significant better launch numbers. Just curious if switching to a blade, I should get refitted for shafts to have them marry up more properly with a new head. Might be overthinking it for my skill level, but isn't that what we all do in here? Any edge (physical or mental) helps right?? 🙂 

I had $130’s in my cobras but they were causing some elbow pain I’ve never experienced and came to realize that can be a kbs thing. I thought of going steel fibers but didn’t want to mess with them being difficult to swing weight in the 110 class which was all they offered. So I went tried and true x100 and have zero complaints. 

Edited by southpaw72
  • Like 2

Anyone able to compare the performance of the new MBs and/or CBs to the previous gen? I wouldn't expect much diff but the new CB blade length looks to be abt equal to the MBs, which is an improvement, IMO, from the shorter length (compared to the MBs) in the prev gen. I turn over the older CBs too easily.

The Dynapower Forged are also winners. They’re a mid capper’’s dream. Perfect size and offset, outstanding feel, excellent forgiveness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

21 hours ago, Foglaid said:

Anyone able to compare the performance of the new MBs and/or CBs to the previous gen? I wouldn't expect much diff but the new CB blade length looks to be abt equal to the MBs, which is an improvement, IMO, from the shorter length (compared to the MBs) in the prev gen. I turn over the older CBs too easily.

• Like 1

Just to echo what a few others said here, the Staff Blades are quite a bit more stable than most other blade models. I have the previous gen along with ZX7 mkii and it’s not much of a difference forgiveness wise. Most people who are used to playing a standard CB could play either Wilson Staff model blade or CB depending on their preference. 

• Like 2

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

On 3/10/2024 at 12:50 PM, PedronNiall said:

Skimmed the last review - I am seeing virtually identical numbers for the CB and Blade - assuming mishits are less forgiving on the blade, does this mean if looking at Wilson Staff, it would be pointless to go to the Blade unless you obsessed with the visual "blade" profile at address?

17 hours ago, jibbs1082 said:

Skimmed the last review - I am seeing virtually identical numbers for the CB and Blade - assuming mishits are less forgiving on the blade, does this mean if looking at Wilson Staff, it would be pointless to go to the Blade unless you obsessed with the visual "blade" profile at address?

You can't assume the CB will actually be more forgiving than the blade.  The outgoing version of the Staff Model Blade, and the FG Tour 100 that preceded it, were both at least as forgiving as their companion CB models.

At that point, it comes down to launch conditions, and cg placement.  Grossly generalizing, blades tend to produce more spin than CB's, but actual testing will tell the tale.

And...  you can't assume anything about the cg location.  All the rules of thumb have been proven to be wrong by the actual cg data that's been released.  In some cases, the blades will be lower, other cases, the CB's will be lower, and of course, in some cases they will be about the same.

Short version...  it's never that easy.  😁

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I have been eyeing Wilson Staff blades for like 3 years now and never pull the trigger. I DO NOT NEED NEW IRONS....but your review and seeing more pictures of them, its getting harder and harder to not pull the trigger on a set....

Might be time to sell off some of the extra stuff laying around and pickup a set....awesome review!

38 minutes ago, southpaw72 said:

The regular king tours. The current model 

Interesting that one is as soft too with a typical forging. Must be the TPU insert. I’ve gone back and forth on the feel preference. I’ve hit the d9 forged and those are super crisp. I used to not like the marshmallow feel but have appreciated it more as it seems easier on the hands and distance seems more effortless. Could just be perception though. 

On 3/9/2024 at 1:29 PM, Foglaid said:

I got you...

While not extensive, I hit the 2024 CB and Blade with the standard shaft (TG 115) compared to my current previous-gen Blades.

There was basically no difference. The 115's were a little softer and I pulled them a little more, but my numbers were stupidly similar. Average spin was within 100 RPM, distance was within 1 yard, ball speed was within 0.5 MPH. My swing was a bigger variance than the club. I'm a little bummed since I had a nice deal on a new set teed up, but the lack of a difference is not worth it.

To another comment, the blades are crazy forgiving - almost to the point of the CB. I unwrapped my clubs at the course and played a decent round. I had one bad swing with the 7i that was so toe-y that the ball mark was on the chrome, but it still only lost about 10% of the distance and was only about 5 yards offline.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue 💎💎💎 9* - HZRDUS Black Gen4 6.0 60g

Hybrid - 3 - Wilson D9 - Tensei CK Silver 70

Irons - 4-5 - Wilson CB - DG S300

Irons - 6-P - Wilson Staff Blades - DG S300

Wedges - 50/54 - Tommy Armour 845 Forged

Wedge - 58 - Wilson Tour Grind - DG 120 Stiff

Wedge - 62 - Sub70 JB Forged

Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #6

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Were you able to review the different models?

im likely going to pull the trigger on a combo set 7-pw mb and 4-6 cb.  Curious of your thoughts on the irons

I didn’t demo or try the cb’s.  I’m playing the mb 3-p. The 3 I use off the tee a fair amount and I find the 4 doesn’t have much problem getting thrown up in the air. FWIW I think they’re quite generous for a blade and I know the cc review showed the comparison and there wasn’t a noticeable performance change between the two so if you were on the fence I don’t think you could go wrong either way.  Right or wrong I just love playing a full set of blades lol 

Edit- I just realized this wasn’t directed at me. Sorry. I saw the notification and didn’t think twice lol 

Edited by southpaw72
  • Like 3

I agree with the blades being way more forgiving than a blade should play.  Numbers were extremely close for me as well between the blades and cb’s.  If I were playing more often, I’d have a set of the blades in a heartbeat.  I think you will start to notice a little more forgiveness will be around the 5 & 6 iron.

Either way you go, can’t really go wrong.  Both sets look outstanding and perform at a high level!

Currently in previous model cb’s and have d9 forged in 5 & 6 iron and its hard to get them out of the bag.  The d9 forged are pretty sweet as well.  I have those bent 1.5* weak and the looks at address are fantastic.

• Like 2

Driver Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

19 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Were you able to review the different models?

im likely going to pull the trigger on a combo set 7-pw mb and 4-6 cb.  Curious of your thoughts on the irons

Hey bud, sorry have been crazy busy at work.  I ended up getting a set of the CB's, did not try the next Blades.  The CB's are fantastic.... would highly recommend them to anyone.  I love the V6 irons, and I really liked the first-generation CB's.  These are even better, nice solid feel, I would say they are as forgiving as the previous CB's.  I just love them.  The look is awesome, I also got the new wedges to go with my set, do not sleep on them, they are awesome as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mox52 said:

Hey bud, sorry have been crazy busy at work.  I ended up getting a set of the CB's, did not try the next Blades.  The CB's are fantastic.... would highly recommend them to anyone.  I love the V6 irons, and I really liked the first-generation CB's.  These are even better, nice solid feel, I would say they are as forgiving as the previous CB's.  I just love them.  The look is awesome, I also got the new wedges to go with my set, do not sleep on them, they are awesome as well.

The new wedges have my eye as well.  Would you be able to post some pics of the wedges at address by chance?

• Like 1

Driver Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

6 hours ago, Mox52 said:

I second this!  I tried both the STAFF MB & CB.  The True Temper Dynamic Gold Mid 115 S300 felt very nice in the CB.  I have played Project X LZ 120 for about 6 years.  Love the MB look, however.  The soles of the CB seem to offer a kitty more forgiveness and bounce if you are a steeper swinger.

I'm probably going to go with the STAFF CB with the TTDG Mid 115 shaft.  A big reason being the 50* set GW offered in the CB only.  Nice work, Wilson.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 1:35 PM, southpaw72 said:

Well 3-p blades made their way to me a few days ago and today was maiden voyage. I know a few of you were interested in a review from the pre release thread so here we go.

First impression. I had a custom order. I received them within 10 days. I had a lie, length, grip and shaft custom options. They arrived in a neat box saying custom fit etc. was a nice touch.  They accommodated every request like grips logo down etc. it was all perfect down to the packing slip assuring quality and every build spec.

We’re still on mats so it’s hard to say a lot about one range session but on the course I was sold. Turf interaction was awesome. I haven’t played blades since I benched my MB2’s a little while ago and have been in love with my Cobra Tours. I have missed the options a nice sleek blade gives you. I  found these generously forgiving for a blade both in feel and flight. I knew exactly where I stuck the ball but it was never harsh. I have zero Lm numbers to offer but I found the flight more piercing (which I was after) with plenty of spin. It’s also worth mentioning I was playing my winter ball a maxfli tour s and it was 40*.  They look great, they feel great and my iron play today was as good as it’s been especially coming out of winter. Played the par 3’s even and scored better with an iron approach than with a wedge but that’s a sad story for another time. 

Feel- as I mentioned you instantly knew if you were a little toe side heel side etc, but it wasn’t insulting. I really loved the feel of these. They have a very solid “dense” feel when you’re flushing them. I much prefer that feel to a marshmallow, which coming from the king tours that’s what they felt like and it’s great in its own way but just different. They weren’t clicky like some titleist forgings just “solid”. I play a hot melted driver, stainless putter, and now these so I guess I’m a big fan of that dense softness. I hope 1% of that makes sense 

One thing I did find I’ll need to work through is the longer irons 3,4 I was really losing the ball to an exaggerated cut but I think that’s a little bit of a feel issue I’ll get through with these and not completely new for me anyway. 

TLDR go buy some Wilson’s and add another major win to their record. 

Pictured is the 5 iron

IMG_5949.jpeg

IMG_5950.jpeg

IMG_5951.jpeg

IMG_5948.jpeg

These look amazing. As a fellow lefty, could you post a pic of the 8 iron and PW at address? These are always the deal breaker iron spot for me. Thx and great review!

• Like 1