Shoes Impact on Swing

18 hours ago, Shilgy said:

You play all Titleist but don’t believe Footjoy shoes are any good?

Interesting take.🤔

I didn't say FootJoy were no good; just not up to my standard.  Shoe quality is essential to me, since I walk as often as possible, so tough on golf shoes. 

Many years back used to wear FootJoy, but their quality changed, and not for the better.  Went to ECCO World Class thereafter for many years, but eventually, their price became ridiculously high, and Goretex quality lessened.  I have been wearing SQAIRZ ever since and happy. 

Titleist equipment is one aspect, "me too" products like Footjoy shoes are another. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

4 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I didn't say FootJoy were no good; just not up to my standard.  Shoe quality is essential to me, since I walk as often as possible, so tough on golf shoes. 

Many years back used to wear FootJoy, but their quality changed, and not for the better.  Went to ECCO World Class thereafter for many years, but eventually, their price became ridiculously high, and Goretex quality lessened.  I have been wearing SQAIRZ ever since and happy. 

Titleist equipment is one aspect, "me too" products like Footjoy shoes are another. 

I've been wearing Sqairz for a couple of seasons.  I like them.  The price to get them into Canada is too much.  I will start a search for an alternative this spring.  Really tough in Canada, because the selection is poor at best.  That's the downside of everyone relying on online ordering.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I have a very high arch.  So I can’t really wear zero drop shoes. Not without pain.  I also have tender feet.  It very hard to find a shoe with real spikes that doesn’t hurt at the point of each spike after 4-5 holes.  I searched the world over.  Even threatened to start wearing waterproof trail running shoes.  What I ended up with as perfect is a Nike zoom 90 IT and added valsole solid arch insoles. And this combo works.  I do wish they had real spikes. But I haven’t slipped yet.  But when the nubs wear I’m sure I will.  What I’ll do then I don’t know. It’s an older discontinued shoe.  I’d kill to find a truly comfortable shoe like it that i could buy several pairs of …. Everything I try stinks.  .  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

37 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I have a very high arch.  So I can’t really wear zero drop shoes. Not without pain.  I also have tender feet.  It very hard to find a shoe with real spikes that doesn’t hurt at the point of each spike after 4-5 holes.  I searched the world over.  Even threatened to start wearing waterproof trail running shoes.  What I ended up with as perfect is a Nike zoom 90 IT and added valsole solid arch insoles. And this combo works.  I do wish they had real spikes. But I haven’t slipped yet.  But when the nubs wear I’m sure I will.  What I’ll do then I don’t know. It’s an older discontinued shoe.  I’d kill to find a truly comfortable shoe like it that i could buy several pairs of …. Everything I try stinks.  .  

Do you have orthotics?  I have a high arch also and have used orthotics since somewhere around 5th grade when I got an unusual bone spur that mostly occurs in mail men from not having enough arch support.  I have had pretty good luck with ASICS Men's Gel Course Duo BOA Golf Shoes.  Have you tried those?

1 hour ago, Nels55 said:

Do you have orthotics?  I have a high arch also and have used orthotics since somewhere around 5th grade when I got an unusual bone spur that mostly occurs in mail men from not having enough arch support.  I have had pretty good luck with ASICS Men's Gel Course Duo BOA Golf Shoes.  Have you tried those?

No. Those are probably only brand I haven’t tried.  But I will check them out. Thanks. 

no prescribed orthotics…. Just the valsole insoles with the solid - high arch feature.  I’ve threatened for years to go to a Doc and get fit , just never have. Phone of afraid of what all the may want to work on.  I have some gnarly long toes , some all jacked up from years of basketball and running track. But it’s probably time. 

side note. The original Ecco biom hybrid was a really great shoe for me.  Until they sold out to the Chinese company or whatever ecco did.  Quality and fit went to pot.  I stopped buying their shoes.  Thanks again. I’ll check out the ASICS. Do you think they run true to size ?  

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

11 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

No. Those are probably only brand I haven’t tried.  But I will check them out. Thanks. 

no prescribed orthotics…. Just the valsole insoles with the solid - high arch feature.  I’ve threatened for years to go to a Doc and get fit , just never have. Phone of afraid of what all the may want to work on.  I have some gnarly long toes , some all jacked up from years of basketball and running track. But it’s probably time. 

side note. The original Ecco biom hybrid was a really great shoe for me.  Until they sold out to the Chinese company or whatever ecco did.  Quality and fit went to pot.  I stopped buying their shoes.  Thanks again. I’ll check out the ASICS. Do you think they run true to size ?  

The ASICS do seem to run true to size, I wear a 10 1/2 which seems to fit fine in most shoes including these.  

Seeing a Podiatrist is probably a good idea but you may be fine with Dr. Scholls or the like...  Or simply staying with the inserts that come with the shoes.  Anyway, glad to possibly be of some help and I hope that you find a shoe that works well for you!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nickb333 said:

If golf shoes don’t have a wide tow box I’m out. I want my feet to feel like they are 100% inside and lower than the perimeter of the sole. 

I liked the look of the squarz, but they had nothing wide at the shop. Went back to my old standby NB. 

I don't think Sqairz has a wide line.  The toe box is generous, but I wouldn't classify them as very wide.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

19 hours ago, Socrates said:

I've been wearing Sqairz for a couple of seasons.  I like them.  The price to get them into Canada is too much.  I will start a search for an alternative this spring.  Really tough in Canada, because the selection is poor at best.  That's the downside of everyone relying on online ordering.

Sqairz are well-built shoes.  Good for early morning dew. 

I have wide size 11 feet, they fit me nicely.  Anyway, good luck on the search.  

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

39 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Sqairz are well-built shoes.  Good for early morning dew. 

I have wide size 11 feet, they fit me nicely.  Anyway, good luck on the search.  

Thanks.  Finding good quality shoes that ACTUALLY are waterproof is tough.  So many shoes claim to be and they aren't.

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

it’s so darn individual. the lasts used by footjoy, nike and most brands don’t fit me. new balance last does.

i’ve found any shoe with a higher heel forcing me forward is a disaster. i have pretty bad plantar fasciitis, so i’ve gone to a fairly flat and super light sneaker. don’t play in the rain, so no issue slipping at all.

do shoes impact swing? put me down for a big yes. i could handle heavy leather with real, manly spikes in my youth, but not now. 😉

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

If the shoes are drastically different then sure.  Try hitting balls barefoot, does it feel uncomfortable?  To me it feels different than if I wear shoes because I can feel the change in relation to the ground when I address the ball.  Now..that's on a mat in my simulator.  Once you are outside, your address changes in relation to the ball over every shot because the ground is never perfectly flat.

• Thanks 1

Dr Scott Lynn from Swing Catalyst has a video where he said they had data of Rickie Fowler before and after a Puma shoe change that showed measurable difference in grf. The new shoe had a significantly stronger cuff on the ankle and it was limiting dorsiflextion in his left foot, which reduced how hard he could push.

I think it was more of a passing anecdote in a broader conversation about instructors considering the importance of footwear for clients' mobility. 

I'm 90% sure it was from a talk at their booth at a past PGA Show (prior to 2024). I will try and find it later today.

Edited by Avid_but_mediocre
Words
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2024 at 9:45 AM, Avid_but_mediocre said:

Dr Scott Lynn from Swing Catalyst has a video where he said they had data of Rickie Fowler before and after a Puma shoe change that showed measurable difference in grf. The new shoe had a significantly stronger cuff on the ankle and it was limiting dorsiflextion in his left foot, which reduced how hard he could push.

I think it was more of a passing anecdote in a broader conversation about instructors considering the importance of footwear for clients' mobility. 

I'm 90% sure it was from a talk at their booth at a past PGA Show (prior to 2024). I will try and find it later today.

Here's the video I referenced above. The footwear / mobility conversation with the Ricky anecdote starts around ~15:20 (Link should be time stamped).

• Thanks 1