OG Stealth Plus vs. Qi10

I typically upgrade drivers every 2 years and looking at moving from the OG Stealth Plus into the Qi10 (not LS or MAX).  I played a 10.5 in my OG Stealth and wondering, shaft aside, how the Qi10 launches in comparison?  I did a taylormade fitting day at my club last year and they said that my last setup fit me reasonably well and probably wasn't worth the upgrade to the stealth 2.  However they said if I really wanted to they'd suggest coming down to a 9* head.  That being said, I was thinking addressing that through a stiffer, lower launching shaft.  I've done a lot of speed training since I got my OG Stealth and I'm right around 110-112 with driver on average.  I played my OG Stealth with a Diamana ZF in stiff flex and now I'm considering the Ventus Black 6x with 10.5 Qi10.  I am pretty aggressive in transition. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated... and yes I know you're going to say get fitted and I probably will just looking for some feedback! 

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

1 hour ago, BradL13 said:

Following this.  I am playing an original stealth+ at 9* and really fighting that itch to go hit the qi10 line, mostly the LS.  Would need to be really worth it though as I hit my current gamer well.  

I'm with you... i keep hearing how much better the Qi10 is so I think it's time.  I originally thought I'd go for the LS but with some of the pros going with the regular head and some initial reviews I'm thinking of doing that instead.

Biggest difference is that the Qi10 is low launch/low spin.  Qi10 is also more forgiving as well.  I was told by a TM employee who I played with to go up in loft compared to what you normally play.  Turns out he was spot on when I did extensive testing with the Qi10/LS.   

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I upgraded from the OG Stealth+ 9.0* to the Qi10 LS 10.5 same Ventus blue 6x velocore shaft.  This is the driver.  It's that good. 

I played my first round since last November this past Sunday I could not believe how good and stable this driver feels.   My home club is still closed but was able to play a course that opened due to the nice weather (live in Milwaukee).  While I cant speak on distance because there were sustain winds of 30 mph.....all I can say is that I missed 1 fairway on the 16th hole because of a pull hook.  

While I haven't hit or played the Stealth 2....the Qi10 is leaps and bounds better than the OG Stealth.  

TM Qi10 LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6x- Velocore
TM Stealth+ 3W- Fuji Speeder Tour X
3-5 TM P7MC  KBS Tour 130 XS

6-9 TM 23' P7MB KBS Tour 130 XS
50* & 58* MG3- Black 
Black Lab BL-1 365G 

2 minutes ago, Miker20890 said:

So is it like when the sldr came out and everyone needed to loft up?

Appears that this is the case.

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

21 minutes ago, Miker20890 said:

Yes....exactly.   

TM Qi10 LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6x- Velocore
TM Stealth+ 3W- Fuji Speeder Tour X
3-5 TM P7MC  KBS Tour 130 XS

6-9 TM 23' P7MB KBS Tour 130 XS
50* & 58* MG3- Black 
Black Lab BL-1 365G 

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Biggest difference is that the Qi10 is low launch/low spin.  Qi10 is also more forgiving as well.  I was told by a TM employee who I played with to go up in loft compared to what you normally play.  Turns out he was spot on when I did extensive testing with the Qi10/LS.   

Great feedback.  Sounds like staying in a 10.5 with a lower launch shaft would be a good fit for me.  I'm gonna try to do some testing with that combo are check some numbers.

1 hour ago, Miker20890 said:

Not really. The Qi10 model launches and spins plenty. The Qi10 LS is lower launch and spin but I don't think it's anything like the SLDR. I  get plenty of launch and spin out of Qi10 LS. I did put in a Tour AD DI to ensure launch is up, but it has worked out really nice

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Just now, UnderPar18 said:

Not really. The Qi10 model launches and spins plenty. The Qi10 LS is lower launch and spin but I don't think it's anything like the SLDR. I  get plenty of launch and spin out of Qi10 LS. I did put in a Tour AD DI to ensure launch is up, but it has worked out really nice

Disagree.  Qi10 LS and R9 Super Deep are the closest to the SLDR, IMO.  However, the Qi10 LS is miIes more forgiving than either driver mentioned.  I've been playing/testing TM drivers since the early 90's.   

Edited by phizzy30

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

33 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Disagree.  Qi10 LS and R9 Super Deep are the closest to the SLDR, IMO.  However, the Qi10 LS is miIes more forgiving than either driver mentioned.  I've been playing/testing TM drivers since the early 90's.   

That's great, but that hasn't been my experience. I get plenty of spin and launch with the LS. Sounds like you don't, which is fine, but I don't think the Qi10 LS is a 16 launch 1600 spin campaign like  people make it out to be. 

:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)

35 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Has anyone prominent (reviewer or tour pro) come out and explicitly say the LS is too low spin? I haven't seen anyone with that opinion.

6 minutes ago, Frank Newport said:

Has anyone prominent (reviewer or tour pro) come out and explicitly say the LS is too low spin? I haven't seen anyone with that opinion.

Ian struggled mightily with it, but I also think that's because how he delivers the club. 

31 minutes ago, UnderPar18 said:

That's great, but that hasn't been my experience. I get plenty of spin and launch with the LS. Sounds like you don't, which is fine, but I don't think the Qi10 LS is a 16 launch 1600 spin campaign like  people make it out to be. 

Agree. I played a 10.5 Paradym Triple Diamond last season and when I tested the Qi10 standard 9 degree head, it launched great without lofting up. LS could be different for some — that one is not for me. But overall the Qi10 has got more help than the SLSR and is not like that head from what I saw. A 9 degree head is as low as I go and that’s what I would fit in the standard head. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

9 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Agree. I played a 10.5 Paradym Triple Diamond last season and when I tested the Qi10 standard 9 degree head, it launched great without lofting up. LS could be different for some — that one is not for me. But overall the Qi10 has got more help than the SLSR and is not like that head from what I saw. A 9 degree head is as low as I go and that’s what I would fit in the standard head. 

Did the standard Qi10 9 degree beat out your 10.5 Paradym TD? 

TaylorMade Qi10 9 - Ventus TR Black 7X

Taylormade Qi10 15 - Ventus TR Black 8X

Ping G430 4 & 5 Hybrid - Accra TZ5 95 HY M5

Titleist T150 5- PW Oban CT 125X 

Taylormade MG4 48 54 60 Oban CT 125X (-)

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5  

1 hour ago, Frank Newport said:

I mentioned in another thread that I played with a TM employee earlier this year who's part of the R&D department and he specifically told me that the LS is low launch and spin and advised me to loft up.  He wasn't kidding.  No pro in his right mind is going to openly say that the LS is too low spin.  That would deter customers from purchasing one. 

Edited by phizzy30

Have not spent a ton of time with the LS.  But have hit the Max quite a bit and the standard a good deal too.  I don't find the standard hard to launch at all. I played the Stealth Plus also.  That wasn't bad either.  The LS this year is pretty low spin for my inside delivery so I pretty much decided against it before I even tried it.  

They all feel significantly better off the face than the Stealth Plus did.  That's for sure.  I am really liking the Max personally.  Takes some getting used to visually as it's a big b***h.  But, feel and numbers have been pretty amazing so far.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

4 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I mentioned in another thread that I played with a TM employee earlier this year who's part of the R&D department and he specifically told me that the LS is low launch and spin and advised me to loft up.  He wasn't kidding.  No pro in his right mind is going to openly say that the LS is too low spin.  That would deter customers from purchasing one. 

is there a common theme amongst the guys on tour playing the LS? Are they higher spin or launch players? Do they prefer softer tip shafts which might pair better with the LS?

Is it possible the LS isn’t a good match for Rory and Scottie’s preferred shaft and setup?

Im just confused why certain reviewers had no issues with the the LS while people are claiming it’s too low spin for even your pros.

11 minutes ago, Frank Newport said:

is there a common theme amongst the guys on tour playing the LS? Are they higher spin or launch players? Do they prefer softer tip shafts which might pair better with the LS?

Is it possible the LS isn’t a good match for Rory and Scottie’s preferred shaft and setup?

Im just confused why certain reviewers had no issues with the the LS while people are claiming it’s too low spin for even your pros.

Rors wanted to play Ventus Black and Scheffler is using Ventus black in his as well. My guess is if they wanted the LS head they would need maybe TR blue or something alike. 

Fleetwood smokes his LS but I have no clue if he’s tried a v2 like the rest of the crew. 

26 minutes ago, UnderPar18 said:

Rors wanted to play Ventus Black and Scheffler is using Ventus black in his as well. My guess is if they wanted the LS head they would need maybe TR blue or something alike. 

Fleetwood smokes his LS but I have no clue if he’s tried a v2 like the rest of the crew. 

Have we found out the difference between the core and V2 yet?

13 minutes ago, Frank Newport said:

Have we found out the difference between the core and V2 yet?

Right now the only thing that’s been verified is

*it has a dot

*it weighs within a gram of the non dot head stock

*it costs more

There’s been a lot of speculation that the dot cg is different, but to my knowledge nobody credible (TM, fitter/retailer).  Somebody can correct me if I missed the update or that is wrong.

26 minutes ago, Frank Newport said:

I go by what the TM engineer told me who's more credible than reviewers in my mind and from my experience.  That's not to say that reviewers posts should be completely discredited although taken with a grain of salt perhaps.  LS is one of the lowest spinning heads I've tested over the years.  Maybe not as low spin as the SLDR but it definitely makes my top 5.  Also, the fact that Rory and Scottie are playing the non LS should tell you something.  They need a head that gets them enough spin to keep their misses playable.  You know what, let me ask my tour pro client who's on TM staff what the deal is that way you can get the info you desire straight from the horses mouth.  He plays on the Mackenzie ahem PGA Tour Canada and has a couple exemptions into Korn Ferry events if I remember right so he's got some street cred.     

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

I go by what the TM engineer told me who's more credible than reviewers in my mind and from my experience.  That's not to say that reviewers posts should be completely discredited although taken with a grain of salt perhaps.  LS is one of the lowest spinning heads I've tested over the years.  Maybe not as low spin as the SLDR but it definitely makes my top 5.  Also, the fact that Rory and Scottie are playing the non LS should tell you something.  They need a head that gets them enough spin to keep their misses playable.  You know what, let me ask my tour pro client who's on TM staff what the deal is that way you can get the info you desire straight from the horses mouth.    

Can you ask him why some tour pros prefer the core fairway woods over the tour too? Thank you.

Just now, Frank Newport said:

Can you ask him why some tour pros prefer the core fairway woods over the tour too? Thank you.

Roger that.

Just now, Frank Newport said:

You have a client on staff at TM and you didn’t think of asking him these important questions? Your WRX credentials should be revoked effective immediately.

What can I say, I'm a busy man, lol. 

On 3/7/2024 at 2:51 PM, EDWARDSR said:

Did the standard Qi10 9 degree beat out your 10.5 Paradym TD? 

Yes, it did, mainly because I could drop down in loft with the Qi10. More ball speed and less spin. That’s been the difference with the new heads for me, as with the Triple Diamond I needed a 10.5 head. 

The PXG standard Black Ops 9 degree also bested the Paradym. And the PXG and TM would be my top two picks for drivers this year that suit me. The standard Black Ops has a larger footprint (size is between standard and Max Qi10) and is more forgiving, but not much more forgiving than the standard Qi10.

The TaylorMade sounds a little better to my ears. IMO the TM drivers are the best looking heads this year in terms of shape and overall look from address. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches