What’s your fairway finder 3w? I need inspiration.

PARETO

Titleist 906F4 15.5 degree for me. It's got a great face height and sole design that works both from tee and fairway. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM Max - 6M3 X

Titleist 906F4 - Whiteboard 83 X

TaylorMade TP UDI 2 - Modus 120 X

Mizuno MP-37 3-9 - S300

TaylorMade MG raw 50-12, 58-08, 60-07 - S300 (50), X7 (58, 60)

Scotty Cameron Newport AoP PP

tee it low and hit a cut with driver, choke up about an inch.  launch is about 6 and spin about 3k.  its more accurate than my 3w and goes about 10-15y farther. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

Dang-that spot in the bag just sucks. I've tried at least 15: nothing is really bulletproof. 

I have a Mizuno ST200 w/Fuji 7X shaft that works well for what it is. I can usually find the fairway. Not always. Usually it'll roll out to 270-280.

What is accurate is me choking down several inches on my driver and making a smooth swing. Doing this, I could prett much hit a driver through a football goalpost 100 yards out. Trouble is; I'll still square it occasionally and run it past my 280 cutoff. Turns out hitting the face centered makes more of a difference than having a super long club-who knew! I have 3 holes on my home course where I need 270-285, no more. Trying to take something off with an easy swing and still hitting a 300 yard drive on rollout is penalty, so I've got to deal with the finicky 3 wood.  Choking down flights the ball lower, which adds to runout on our hard dry winter/summer fairways, therefore not reducing the drive distance much. 

Maybe a mini-driver? I don't know why a 3W is so much harder to hit than driver; shouldn't the tech be the same? I just want the ball to fly 15% shorter. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, B_of_H said:

tee it low and hit a cut with driver, choke up about an inch.  launch is about 6 and spin about 3k.  its more accurate than my 3w and goes about 10-15y farther. 

I'll choke it up 2-3" and do exactly that. Trouble is with a lower launch it sometimes runs just as far as a regular driver, with our hard fairways. I'll see it land at 265 instead of 290 and think "great" but then watch it run an additional 50 yards into the water hazard I was choking down to avoid. 

• Like 1

Modern 3w's are basically redundant and don't serve any purpose for most players.

Majority of amateurs hit driver straighter and more consistently than 3w so it shouldn't be used on tight holes...

Majority of amateurs hit 3w almost as far as driver so it shouldn't be used on short holes....

I've swapped to a 5w turned down to 16 degrees but I still will almost always choose 3i off the tee on short par 4s anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mine has been LST models from Ping.  I had a 410LST that I loved, beat it to crap hitting a lot of range balls, got a 425 LST to replace it as I thought the face would soon crack like a 410 5W I had.   I just have a tendency to hook almost every 3 wood made, no matter how I have it set up or what shaft I put in it, but far less so with the LST models. I can get in a grove with it and hit a nice straight-to-slight draw with it most of the time, and hit a fade when its called for. I would like to try a 430LST, but I am not spending $600 for a 3 wood....

• Like 2

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

TM BRNR mini 13.5*

I was never a 3 metal kind of person to find the fairway but gaming this for the past year since release really added a dimension into my game where I would just default hitting a driver no matter what. 

I know there are pundits that argue that a 3w off the tee does no better than driver in terms of strokes gained or dispersion. I totally agree with that if its just looking at stats only. A more committed shot is going to be best club imo and there are some holes that I am more comfortable hitting my BRNR than driver on some holes which lead to better shots regardless of equal dispersion between the two. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

Modern 3w's are basically redundant and don't serve any purpose for most players.

Majority of amateurs hit driver straighter and more consistently than 3w so it shouldn't be used on tight holes...

Majority of amateurs hit 3w almost as far as driver so it shouldn't be used on short holes....

I've swapped to a 5w turned down to 16 degrees but I still will almost always choose 3i off the tee on short par 4s anyway.

Leaning that way. Some kind of higher lofted FW/UW and a 22*driving iron before I get to 5i. 

• Like 1

TM Brnr Mini Driver 13.5(12)

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

Tour Edge C722 set to 16 degrees has been the right mix of launch and low spin for me.  I have a Tensei Blue in mine. 

• Like 1

mizuno-tour-knit-pom_black_charcoal_01__02597.jpg.1afb778db4a607f23063a0af4089f6a8.jpg

Callaway Paradym 9* (Kinetixx Velocity)
Tour Edge C722 3wd 
Titleist u505/Tour Edge C722 3H/Callaway Mavrik Max 5wd 
Tour Edge C722 4H

Srixon Z85 5U 
Mizuno 225 6-GW (PX IO 6.0)
Vokey SM9 54D & 60T
Odyssey Stroke Lab Tuttle or Scotty Futura X 35" (SS Pistol 1.0 w/ 50g CW)

I'm liking the TSR2+ 14.5. But I also love a good mini driver. Favorite was the TM 300 (better than the Brnr, IMO), but right now I'm sticking with my TSR unless Titleist releases their mocked-up 2-wood. Then I'll reconsider. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

On 3/18/2024 at 10:22 PM, gripandrip said:

I have two, One in the main bag and one in my backup. Main 3 wood is a Taylormade R9. My other is a Callaway XR I was given after the head snapped off the shaft. I bought a no name stiff shaft, (Just to get a cheap 3 wood for my backup bag) and proceeded by accident, to cut the shaft 3/8 inch too short. Not sure what there is about that club, I don't use it a lot, but can't seem to mishit it. May be the fact that it is a bit short.

I meant my original Rbz to my son and it came back battered but had such a good time (long and straight) with it I’ve recently picked up the Rbz Tour at 14.5 and looking forward to using it though I only ever liked it off the tee, really like Ping from the fairway, much more shallow. So unless it’s really sitting up Rbz will

be only second tee club 

My 3 wood is a 300 mini 13.5.  That being said it is only slightly more accurate than driver, and not just for me, for pretty much everyone as someone has posted data earlier.

"Learn" a knock down shot with your driver and 3 wood.  This is something I worked on because my home course is super tight, however on the straight holes there isn't a ton of reason to hit 3 wood over driver.  I only use 3 wood and normal or knock down when the distance requires not hitting driver.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

4 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

"Learn" a knock down shot with your driver and 3 wood.

I second this. I have gotten off the utility iron carousel by learning to hit 3/4 stingers with my 3 wood. Much easier than swinging out of my shoes with a 2 iron. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

11 hours ago, PARETO said:

Leaning that way. Some kind of higher lofted FW/UW and a 22*driving iron before I get to 5i. 

3w's are still useful for pros and extremely good amateur players because they are more accurate and play courses long enough to require 3w off the tee or into par 5s.

Just isn't the case for the rest of us. 

1 hour ago, driveandputtmachine said:

"Learn" a knock down shot with your driver and 3 wood.  This is something I worked on because my home course is super tight, however on the straight holes there isn't a ton of reason to hit 3 wood over driver.  I only use 3 wood and normal or knock down when the distance requires not hitting driver.

I will second that.  I toyed around with this last year.  I played in a state event last spring, it was very windy, sort of tight course, and the ground was very, very hard.   I went to the range before the round and started teeing the ball really low with my driver, and sort of taking a slow smooth swing and closing the face.  I got where I could hit low flying,  low spinning knucleballs with some control.  I hit one on one hole, 450 into the wind, it flew about 200 yards and rolled out another 100+, the ground was so hard......😁

I play with a guy who hits this shot quite a bit, decently long hitter, but will hit the low teed, low runner on a tight hole with his driver instead of a 3 wood or hybrid, goes just as far but much, much lower.....

Edited by Mike_C
  • Like 3

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

You can pry my TSi3 out of my cold dead hands. Turned it up to 16.5* and it’s a been quite the performer for me. That said, off the tee, I only usually take it instead of driver based on distance to trouble rather than left/right dispersion. If I’m taking something specifically to find the fairway, it’s going to be the Fli-Hi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike_C said:

I will second that.  I toyed around with this last year.  I played in a state event last spring, it was very windy, sort of tight course, and the ground was very, very hard.   I went to the range before the round and started teeing the ball really low with my driver, and sort of taking a slow smooth swing and closing the face.  I got where I could hit low flying,  low spinning knucleballs with some control.  I hit one on one hole, 450 into the wind, it flew about 200 yards and rolled out another 100+, the ground was so hard......😁

I play with a guy who hits this shot quite a bit, decently long hitter, but will hit the low teed, low runner on a tight hole with his driver instead of a 3 wood or hybrid, goes just as far but much, much lower.....

This is my preference for this type of shot, too. The large face of the driver offers so much more margin of error over a 3w that it's a shot worth cultivating. I never hit 3w off the tee.

On 3/18/2024 at 4:48 PM, A.Princey said:

I think you need to find a club that is higher spinning, for directional stability and less curvature. Something that averages at least 3500rpm bs, minimum. 

You’re gonna lose some distance with the increase in spin, but you’ll have a trade off to achieve a straighter flight. 

Agree 100% if you really need a fairway finder. I get this with my TSi2 / ADIZ combo, with the flat setting and +4 weight in the back. It spins a bit more than "ideal" and wouldn't win at a fitting today but I trust it more than any other club that's gone in by bag over the last 15 years, so it's not leaving any time soon.

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

On 3/19/2024 at 10:51 AM, mgoblue83 said:

What's the spread between a 3W and Driver for most amateurs? 

For me w/rollout, 30-45 yards or so. The driver has less spin for me personally and if the conditions are hard, it will roll quite a bit further. 

So, 5W turned down to 16. Why not 4W at 16.5? 

• Like 1

I'm digging my burner mini. I cut it down to have a little more control.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 4 - Autoflex SF 505XX

Burner Mini - Autoflex SF505XX

Cally Apex UW - Ventus TR RED 7x

Ping G430 3H - Ventus HY Blue 8x 

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Axiom 105x

Hi-Toe 3 52/MG3 TW 60 - S400TI 

Odyssey Ai Milled Eleven DB w/Stability Tour 

Migrated to the Driver then 5Wood as a secondary option this season and agree with lots that is being said here. Driver is more consistent and what I should hit in many cases, and the 5 wood is actually shorter than the Driver so I don't run into the same distance issue.

If we are going 5 wood off the tee, there is a reason and a commitment to the shot rather than a half-hearted agreement that I should hit 3 wood vs driver for whatever reason it was...

Titleist TSR4 - 9* - AD-IZ 7X

Titleist TSR2 - 18* - AD-UB 8X

Miura TC-201 - 3i - DG TI X100

Miura MB-101 - 5i, 7i, 9i - DG TI X100

Miura Tour Wedge High Bounce - 52 - DG TI X100

Vokey Wedgeworks - 60V - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron TNP Slant Neck - BGT Tour Stability

23 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

What's the spread between a 3W and Driver for most amateurs? 

For me w/rollout, 30-45 yards or so. The driver has less spin for me personally and if the conditions are hard, it will roll quite a bit further. 

So, 5W turned down to 16. Why not 4W at 16.5? 

Distance gap usually gets larger the faster you swing.  For me it's a 30-35 yard gap. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

These days, I don't think anyone is designing a 3 wood for accuracy. They are mini drivers. 

I find that my 18* hybrid is much more accurate overall. I could also see a driving iron playing the same function. 

At the end of the day, and generally speaking, accuracy and distance are oppositional forces. If you want more of one, you are generally giving up something on the other. 

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge