Booking tee times online - I hate it

So I was watching 'golf central' today and one of the guests (some president of NBC Sports something or other) was asked what consumers want with regard to golf now.  His response was that they want the ability to book and pay online so they can just show up at the course and jump in line.  I'm literally screaming at the television 'No, NO, NOOOOOOO!" (I live by myself and need someone to talk to at times).  Maybe it's my demo, but I absolutely hate booking tee times online in most instances.  Where I don't mind it is where you are doing nothing more than reserving the time and then paying at the course.  But in most instances, you get charged a 'convenience fee' as well as the cost to play and they also don't provide all of the rates available.  I'm a senior who walks almost exclusively.  I have yet to see an online tee time booking app that shows the rate for a walking senior.  Also, most of the guys I play with are seniors, and they don't always know until we show up at the course whether they'll be walking or riding.  And these apps often make you pay for the number of players you are expecting to play, but if someone has a problem and has to cancel, you're stuck with having paid for the tee time.

So for me, online booking is usually a big 'NOPE', and I prefer to call the pro-shop unless I can book without paying anything.  Wondering what others think.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I hate it too when I'm unsuccessful (i can appreciate the yelling out of frustration though... my wife thinks I'm getting stabbed sometimes) but I'm old enough to remember the days of sleeping out at Bethpage or some other place to secure early morning weekend tee times. That was a young (single) mans game... I'll take the online situation even with its many occasional faults.

• Like 1

I usually try to book tee times using the course's own website rather than Golfnow. Even though they take your credit card info to hold the reservation, in most cases they don't charge your account and you pay when you arrive at the pro shop. If you're a senior and walk (which is also me) they charge that rate.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, sabram said:

I usually try to book tee times using the course's own website rather than Golfnow. Even though they take your credit card info to hold the reservation, in most cases they don't charge your account and you pay when you arrive at the pro shop. If you're a senior and walk (which is also me) they charge that rate.

That's how I typically do it as well when I do book online, but I try to limit the number of websites I put my cc# on, so I won't use any tee time booking app that requires it.

19 minutes ago, jordan2240 said:

That's how I typically do it as well when I do book online, but I try to limit the number of websites I put my cc# on, so I won't use any tee time booking app that requires it.

https://privacy.com/ - might be a good service for you. Spins up virtual credit cards that you can cancel at anytime.

Club Shaft Loft Length Lie/Adjustments Grip
Driver (Ping G430 Max 10K) Ping Tour Silver 65 S Stock Flat Golf Pride Z-Grip Align
3 Wood (Ping G425 Max) Ping Tour Silver 75 X 17.5° Stock Big+ Golf Pride Z-Grip Align
3 Hybrid (Ping G425) Aldila Rogue Black 95 TX 19° Stock Flat Golf Pride Z-Grip Align
4 Hybrid (Taylormade SIM Max) UST Mamiya ProForce V2 8F4 22° Stock Bonded Golf Pride Z-Grip Align
Irons (Ping i230 5-PW) Project X IO 6.0 Standard +1/2 2° Flat Golf Pride Z-Grip Align
Gap Wedge (Sub70 JB) Project X IO 6.0 50° +1/2 2° Flat Golf Pride Z-Grip Align
Sand Wedge (Sub70 JB Full Face) Project X IO 6.0 56° (Plays 55°) +1/2 2° Flat Golf Pride Z-Grip Align
Lob Wedge (Sub70 JB Full Face) Project X IO 6.0 60° +1/2 2° Flat Golf Pride Z-Grip Align
Putter (L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 - Heavy) Stock Blackout Shaft 3.5° 33" 78° Upright Press Grip 1.5° Smooth

Online booking that meets your needs depends on the course and the software they use.   

SR rates are walking rates are gone at many courses.   There is a lower end course near me that gives 
a choice online for walk or ride and charges that rate.    

Unless your course fills quickly, you could book as one or two and have the 3rd or 4th book themselves, 
although they can lose their spot if they wait.   Just decide early based on weather forecast to walk or ride.       

• Like 1

Booking online can be hit or miss, especially as a senior walker. Most of the time its easy as pie. Course allows you to book a single walking rate with no prepayment.

The worst experiences are the courses that won't let you even look at the tee sheet without creating an online account. Fill out the form, try to figure out their crazy password rules, wait for an email confirmation, click on the 'confirm' link, and then begin the search for a tee time. Oh, wait, they don't allow singles to book online. WTF. 

Then there are the courses that require you to create an account, with no option for a 'Checkout as Guest', and by the time you fill out all the necessary information the tee time you selected is no longer available.

Then of course you have the booking engines that display '1-4 Players', but when you try to book as a single it gives you an error message stating that the tee time is no longer available. You wind up calling the pro shop and they say, "Oh, singles can't book online". Then why have you configured the booking engine to display '1-4' instead of '2-4'?

Definitely hit a hot button with me. There are only a handful of major booking engines, and they can all be configured to display multiple price categories (e.g. Walking, Riding, Senior Walking), allow singles to book in any slot, or limit them to booking with an existing twosome or threesome. They can also be configured to handle pre-payment, or pay at the course, along with guest checkout, or require a login. The settings are up to the course. Why is a course makes it difficult is beyond me.

As for the GN spokesperson, many courses allow both pre-payment or pay at the course options at checkout. Seems pretty sensible to offer both. If a player doesn't want to hassle with paying at the course, then they can pre-pay. If a player thinks their plans might change, they might want to pay at the course instead of hassling with getting a refund.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

As for the GN spokesperson, many courses allow both pre-payment or pay at the course options at checkout. Seems pretty sensible to offer both. If a player doesn't want to hassle with paying at the course, then they can pre-pay. If a player thinks their plans might change, they might want to pay at the course instead of hassling with getting a refund.

I know the EZLinks booking engine (which is now part of GN) can be configured such that on a regular tee time, if the course requires (or the customer selects) prepayment, the customer can later cancel online and immediately receive an automatic credit card refund without human interaction so long as they aren't past the cancellation time window. However, you have courses using this same booking engine that won't even allow you to cancel a non-prepaid time online and force you to call. Why courses don't use the full functionality of the booking engine, I do not know. I can't see a real person saying "well, I want to cancel this tee time because something else has some up, but instead I won't cancel it because I can't do it online and would have to call the pro shop, they can keep my money."

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

I always look at the course's online tee sheet to see what is open and then call the pro shop. Most of the courses I play use GolfNow for their booking. Why pay a fee and risk other issues booking online? Some courses do have options now such as senior rates, walking, so you have to make sure you select the correct options when making the tee time. I usually use the Tee Time Golf Pass so booking online at the places that accept that means you have to call the course.

I recently posted in my local golf forum about a course charging $5 a person when you call on the phone. I thought that was ridiculous. I got flamed for using the resources of the pro shop instead of booking online especially since I look online and then call and ask for an open time. Another person chimed in with their story. Two of them booked online for $40. During the week two of their friends decided to go and called to add them to the tee time. The two that called in were charged $70 when they checked in to pay. They were told the online rate is cheaper.

A few of the course managers in the forum said within the next 5 years every course will be online only. To promote online booking they offer a discount online rate. Other courses charge a convenience fee to book online. You have to pay attention to each course's policy on booking a tee time.  . 

• Like 1

Never used Golfnow ... but I love booking online ... UNLESS I'm doing it as a single ... some courses in my area will accept singles over the phone, but not online.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

There are a couple of courses around here where I'm comfortable booking online.  Many, I prefer to phone. 

When I'm booking resort courses in the States, I prefer to phone.  Especially if I have a non-player with me as I don't want any surprises (for me and them).

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I've had a few bad experiences booking over the phone. Show up at the course and they don't have you on the tee sheet. No idea if the staffer failed to book the round correctly, or if the system simply lost it. 

When I book online I ways capture a screenshot of the confirmation page. Having worked in IT for 30+ years, I don't even trust them to properly send out a confirmation email. That's funny, if not sad/frustrating, because I sure seem to get get plenty of spam emails from courses I played once and unchecked the (auto) checked 'Send me Spam' option on the checkout page. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I will NOT use a third party to book anything!  As a former business owner I have first hand knowledge of the fees that the business loses with every booking by a third party. I will always call the business. The airline, car rental, hotel, golf course, etc. 

These booking companies just stick themselves in the middle and take money from the business owners.  They are one of the big reasons prices have to increase.  Some of these engines/websites were taking near 50% of my rates! As a small business I was stuck between and rock and a hard place.

I will not use them, even if it costs me 🤑.  

Rant off, sorry 😔

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I've had a few bad experiences booking over the phone. Show up at the course and they don't have you on the tee sheet. No idea if the staffer failed to book the round correctly, or if the system simply lost it. 

My overall experiences have been the opposite. I've seen to many issues with people booking online. Double bookings mostly. Problems if you don'y have the confirmation because the course claims they have no record of the tee time.

A few weeks ago I checked online looking for a place to play on an very nice day. Every where I looked courses were booked. I found one course that was wide open which didn't make any sense to me. I never book online so I called the course and they were full to. When I questioned about online being wide open the guy says that doesn't get updated fast enough. So I guess I could have booked online and showed up as a double booking.

1 hour ago, Greenie said:

My overall experiences have been the opposite. I've seen to many issues with people booking online. Double bookings mostly. Problems if you don'y have the confirmation because the course claims they have no record of the tee time.

A few weeks ago I checked online looking for a place to play on an very nice day. Every where I looked courses were booked. I found one course that was wide open which didn't make any sense to me. I never book online so I called the course and they were full to. When I questioned about online being wide open the guy says that doesn't get updated fast enough. So I guess I could have booked online and showed up as a double booking.

Oh, I've also had my share of bad experiences with online booking. Love when you look at their tee sheet, and there's not a single opening, including late afternoon. Call the course and you're told that there are plenty of tee times, but they're clueless as to why the online version is empty. 

As a single golfer, it's annoying to have to call the pro shop when all the major booking engines can be configured to all single players. Most do, as I book most of my rounds online. 

For the most part, I agree with the OP; there isn't much flexibility using an app. 

I have no problem paying a convenience fee, beats waiting on hold, or calling back multiple times to find nothing open.  Having said that, I have a nice relationship with some course staff and Pros that still take call-in's, even sometimes make room. 

Due to limitations of online booking and fees per player, we now limit who we book for to people we implicitly trust will show-up and  or pay, regardless.  Before we adjusted to trusted people only, it was too easy to get left paying for no-shows, no-shows forgetting to reimburse, forcing some of us to feel like we're collection people.  

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

36 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Oh, I've also had my share of bad experiences with online booking. Love when you look at their tee sheet, and there's not a single opening, including late afternoon. Call the course and you're told that there are plenty of tee times, but they're clueless as to why the online version is empty. 

As a single golfer, it's annoying to have to call the pro shop when all the major booking engines can be configured to all single players. Most do, as I book most of my rounds online. 

I play a lot as a single myself. I don't know if there is a good way to do any tee time online. I feel the majority of people don't want to play with strangers. A few weeks ago when I checked online at the course my foursome wanted to play the tee sheet was full of singles booking each tee time for an hr. and 1/2. I called the course and complained all they had was openings for threesomes because of all the singles taking each tee time. The person laughed and told me when I see that just call and he will give us one of those times for a foursome and pair someone up. I can understand why some with online booking don't allow singles to book.This past Monday it was all twosomes booked for an hr. around the time we wanted to play as a foursome. So do we not allow twosomes to book either? 

Just now, Greenie said:

I play a lot as a single myself. I don't know if there is a good way to do any tee time online. I feel the majority of people don't want to play with strangers. A few weeks ago when I checked online at the course my foursome wanted to play the tee sheet was full of singles booking each tee time for an hr. and 1/2. I called the course and complained all they had was openings for threesomes because of all the singles taking each tee time. The person laughed and told me when I see that just call and he will give us one of those times for a foursome and pair someone up. I can understand why some with online booking don't allow singles to book. This past Monday it was all twosomes booked for an hr. around the time we wanted to play as a foursome. So do we not allow twosomes to book either? 

I don't have a problem with courses that only allow singles to book with an existing twosome or threesome. If a course allows singles to book an open four-slot, I try to book with an existing twosome or threesome if possible, as I don't want to be that player who goes out as a single. If the tee sheet is wide open, then I'll book as a single knowing that its going to be a fairly open course.

Not sure what to do with twosomes, though. Yeah, it would s#x to not be able to get a tee time for a foursome with a tee sheet filled with twosomes.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ArtMBgolf said:

Online booking that meets your needs depends on the course and the software they use.   

SR rates are walking rates are gone at many courses.   There is a lower end course near me that gives 
a choice online for walk or ride and charges that rate.    

Unless your course fills quickly, you could book as one or two and have the 3rd or 4th book themselves, 
although they can lose their spot if they wait.   Just decide early based on weather forecast to walk or ride.       

Pretty much every course in a 25 mile radius of where I live near Harrisburg pa gives senior rates for both riding and walking, and I've never seen them represented in the online booking systems.  If I couldn't walk, I'd probably give up the game unless I had physical issues that prevented me from walking.  And the choice to walk for some is often related to what pains he woke up with.

The other issue with booking online is that, for those sites that do expect you to prepay, the booker has to pay the full amount then collect, which, while I realize is fairly easy these days using venmo and such (which many of us are still not comfortable with), is still less preferable to me than everyone paying the course and not leaving one guy on the hook.  I don't care how good your friendships are, being a debtee or debtor among friends has often ruined relationships.  Wouldn't want to do that on a regular basis.  The idea that you could each book separately would require a coordinated effort that isn't likely to occur, and there are always the guys who can't be bothered with doing anything other than showing up to play.

We have a couple courses in the area that allow you to book online without providing a credit card, so you're simply reserving your tee time, which I do like.  I'd be fine if they all did that, but they don't.  I fully understand how pre-paying or providing credit card info is better for the course, but unlike the guy in that interview I referenced, I don't think it's necessarily better for the consumer or something we all want, especially the older demographic that is less trusting of the systems that control all this financial stuff.

• Like 2

Appreciate the different perspectives.  Unfortunately, online booking is likely to become the only option at some point, at least until someone hacks the system and steals a bunch of credit card info.  And then, like self-checkout, it might be seen as less beneficial than presumed.  Fortunately, I've never called one of the local courses and been told to use the online system - yet.

18 minutes ago, jordan2240 said:

Appreciate the different perspectives.  Unfortunately, online booking is likely to become the only option at some point, at least until someone hacks the system and steals a bunch of credit card info.  And then, like self-checkout, it might be seen as less beneficial than presumed.  Fortunately, I've never called one of the local courses and been told to use the online system - yet.

I don't think you will be told to use the online system yet but you may want to check and see if the course is charging you more for answering the phone and taking your tee time. It's here at some courses and I am Md. The farthest I play towards Harrisburg is Carlisle, PA.

I try to avoid all the online stuff for the same reasons you have mentioned. I used to be the guy making tee times but if any course is going to charge me up front for a foursome or for a no show then I am not going to be the one to make the tee time. I don't like giving out my CC info in any case even though some courses have mine on file I have it blocked from use.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Greenie said:

I don't think you will be told to use the online system yet but you may want to check and see if the course is charging you more for answering the phone and taking your tee time. It's here at some courses and I am Md. The farthest I play towards Harrisburg is Carlisle, PA.

I try to avoid all the online stuff for the same reasons you have mentioned. I used to be the guy making tee times but if any course is going to charge me up front for a foursome or for a no show then I am not going to be the one to make the tee time. I don't like giving out my CC info in any case even though some courses have mine on file I have it blocked from use.

The courses I play don't do that, but I have seen some advertise that the lowest rates are available online.  I just generally book through the course anyway since those online low rates are generally riding non-senior rates.

By the way, I'm actually in mechanicsburg and play in Carlisle often. In fact, I play at the barracks every Monday pretty much and just played Cumberland last week.  Playing eagle's crossing next week, which we mainly do to show us how bad our golf games really are.

We also play in Gettysburg frequently and hit Westminster national once a year or so.

Edited by jordan2240

1 hour ago, jordan2240 said:

The courses I play don't do that, but I have seen some advertise that the lowest rates are available online.  I just generally book through the course anyway since those online low rates are generally riding non-senior rates.

By the way, I'm actually in mechanicsburg and play in Carlisle often. In fact, I play at the barracks every Monday pretty much and just played Cumberland last week.  Playing eagle's crossing next week, which we mainly do to show us how bad our golf games really are.

We also play in Gettysburg frequently and hit Westminster national once a year or so.

Eagles Crossing is my favorite up that way . I've played the Barracks and I think there is a Mayapple? I played. I haven't played Eagles Crossing in years. I used to play it 5 times a year. I like it a lot. Most of the others I play with feel as you say "it shows us how bad our games really are" .

I usually play around the Gettysburg area even though I have plenty of cough cough $80 plus courses right here around Frederick. I am playing Carroll Valley tomorrow $38. Westminster is fairly cheap and I believe is Eagles Crossing sister course.

I have never played Cumberland.

3 hours ago, Greenie said:

Eagles Crossing is my favorite up that way . I've played the Barracks and I think there is a Mayapple? I played. I haven't played Eagles Crossing in years. I used to play it 5 times a year. I like it a lot. Most of the others I play with feel as you say "it shows us how bad our games really are" .

I usually play around the Gettysburg area even though I have plenty of cough cough $80 plus courses right here around Frederick. I am playing Carroll Valley tomorrow $38. Westminster is fairly cheap and I believe is Eagles Crossing sister course.

I have never played Cumberland.

Love Carrol valley.  It's one of those I absolutely cannot book online because they don't show all the rates and walking is a game time decision for some of the guys. Mayapple is one of our regulars.  And yes, Westminster and eagles are siblings.  Haven't done much golfing around Frederick, but love the town itself.  One thing about the courses near me is you can generally walk for under $30, and even riding is well under &80.  I generally only play Monday and Wednesday, but $80 is a bit salty for my budget.

On 3/27/2024 at 5:42 PM, jordan2240 said:

So I was watching 'golf central' today and one of the guests (some president of NBC Sports something or other) was asked what consumers want with regard to golf now.  His response was that they want the ability to book and pay online so they can just show up at the course and jump in line.  I'm literally screaming at the television 'No, NO, NOOOOOOO!" (I live by myself and need someone to talk to at times).  Maybe it's my demo, but I absolutely hate booking tee times online in most instances.  Where I don't mind it is where you are doing nothing more than reserving the time and then paying at the course.  But in most instances, you get charged a 'convenience fee' as well as the cost to play and they also don't provide all of the rates available.  I'm a senior who walks almost exclusively.  I have yet to see an online tee time booking app that shows the rate for a walking senior.  Also, most of the guys I play with are seniors, and they don't always know until we show up at the course whether they'll be walking or riding.  And these apps often make you pay for the number of players you are expecting to play, but if someone has a problem and has to cancel, you're stuck with having paid for the tee time.

So for me, online booking is usually a big 'NOPE', and I prefer to call the pro-shop unless I can book without paying anything.  Wondering what others think.

1000% BEHIND YOU ON THIS!

I'll even go out of my way to look for a tee time then call the pro shop and book it, most times they won't take a card over the phone. 

Edited by Deng808
  • Like 1

No worries.  In the world of AI the tee sheet will know when you want to play and where you want to play.  You will simply need to wake up, pour a coffee and your car will drive you to the appropriate course at the appropriate time.

• Haha 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

3 hours ago, Tumadre1337 said:

Absolutely. This is way easier than having to wait on hold with the clubhouse. 

In the last area I lived in, there was only one pubic course out of maybe 10 that still did not do online tee times (they still don't), and it was a busy course. I almost never played there because of the tee time situation. Not only did the "old guy tee time cartel" basically control all of the early AM tee times through their buddies working in the shop, but there was zero transparency into how busy or not the course was going to be at a given time, whether there was some kind of tournament going on, etc.