Rory not returning to Policy Board

20 hours ago, notsohard said:

Cantlay is representing his own needs. He does not want to travel. Nor Spieth nor Thomas. They want it all to remain the same, yet love the SSG money.

I suspect he's not in the minority, not wanting to travel extensively overseas.  Different reasons for different groups of guys, I'd assume ranging from lifestyle to financial.  I totally get the desire for the fans outside of North America.  Being in the US, I'd like to see Premier, La Liga or Serie A visit the US for soccer along with Rugby like Premiership and Super Rugby.  

I can understand why some want things to stay the same and others want it to change.  I personally think all sides of this are overestimating the potential for pro golf.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tomjas said:

NBA is booming and about to sign a broadcast deal worth DOUBLE the existing one so not a similar situation 

They also play some pre season & regular season games in foreign countries 

The NBA is booming because they’ve embraced change and made their game better, the exact opposite of what golf is doing.

And international?  The NBA plays two regular season games internationally, one of which is in Mexico.  The other 2,458 games are played in the U.S.  So the NBA is .00081301 an international league. 😂

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RobS said:

I personally think all sides of this are overestimating the potential for pro golf.

100% agree.  Which is why I’m shocked that SSG agreed to make such a large investment AND allow a big chunk of it to go to the players.  I don’t think they’re ever going to see a reasonable return on that money, nor do I think the equity shares they’re giving the players are going to wind up being worth anywhere near what they’re assuming now.

This is also why I think guys like Phil MIckelson are being disingenuous when they say they did this because the Tour was screwing them.  The Tour might have been holding back a little, but there wasn’t much to hold back, and there was no way the Tour could have ever paid out the money that LIV has.  So this isn’t about holding the Tour accountable, it is simply about a group of greedy spoiled brats selling their souls and enabling a non-economic actor to take down the game. 

Edited by Archimedes65
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Archimedes65 said:

The NBA is booming because they’ve embraced change and made their game better, the exact opposite of what golf is doing.

And international?  The NBA plays two regular season games internationally, one of which is in Mexico.  The other 2,458 games are played in the U.S.  So the NBA is .00081301 an international league. 😂

Huh?

Other than the fact that players can’t play defence, the NBA hasn’t changed at all & doesn’t need to do so as what it’s doing actually works 

It’s is in a very different position to professional golf 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, tomjas said:

Huh?

Other than the fact that players can’t play defence, the NBA hasn’t changed at all & doesn’t need to do so as what it’s doing actually works 

It’s is in a very different position to professional golf 

Yeah the players haven’t changed a bit.  I remember back in 1995, there were 6’10” wings who could go coast to coast with the ball and knock down 25 foot jumpers at will. And every team had guys who could launch from the free throw line and throw down dunks.

And the game’s exactly the same as it was when Clyde the Glide roamed the hardwoods at MSG.  Errrr, except for massively better athletes.  And the introduction of the three point line.  And the removal of hand checking.  And the introduction of the euro step.  And the introduction of the restricted area.  Yeah, it hasn’t changed at all.

The NBA is a massively different game just from 10 years ago.  If you can’t see that, you haven’t been watching closely enough.  https://www.nba.com/news/3-point-era-nba-75

Same with hockey, the game is so much faster and the technology in the sticks and skates has made leaps forward.

Professional golf is just fine, but I’m sure that the golf brain trust will figure out a way to f it up.  They probably have someone working on getting Grey Poupon as a title sponsor…

Edited by Archimedes65

1 hour ago, Archimedes65 said:

did we adopt toronto?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Now that Jimmy Dunne has resigned from the Tour Board, there's a free spot for someone.  Maybe someone who recently won a BIG tournament?  Someone who's on a non voting and completely made up sub-committee...

Love this comment from Jimmy "Since the players now outnumber the Independent Directors on the Board, and no meaningful progress has been made towards a transaction with the PIF, I feel like my vote and my role is utterly superfluous." 

Luckily Tiger and Patty Ice are there.  And Jay.  Although I'm not sure he is there.  He might be there, I don't know.  Maybe he's there, maybe he's not.  No one knows. 

https://www.si.com/golf/jimmy-dunne-resigns-from-pga-tour-board

Edited by beluga99
grammar

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

31 minutes ago, beluga99 said:

Now that Jimmy Dunne has resigned from the Tour Board, there's a free spot for someone.  Maybe someone who recently won a BIG tournament?  Someone who's on a non voting and completely made up sub-committee...

Love this comment from Jimmy "Since the players now outnumber the Independent Directors on the Board, and no meaningful progress has been made towards a transaction with the PIF, I feel like my vote and my role is utterly superfluous." 

Luckily Tiger and Patty Ice are there.  And Jay.  Although I'm not sure he is there.  He might be there, I don't know.  Maybe he's there, maybe he's not.  No one knows. 

https://www.si.com/golf/jimmy-dunne-resigns-from-pga-tour-board

That what he said? What a whiner

He seemed a bit emotional in the senate testimony 

JDunne did a nice job stalling PIF so SSG could get in, but now he has no skin in the game so best he moves on. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

That what he said? What a whiner

He seemed a bit emotional in the senate testimony 

JDunne did a nice job stalling PIF so SSG could get in, but now he has no skin in the game so best he moves on. 

You know, just because Patrick Cantlay was sponsored by Goldman and now Apollo doesn't mean he should be negotiating a merger w/ Yassir and his army of ex-Morgan Stanley and Wachtell advisors 😉

Honesty, that sounds like a spin on the Holiday Inn Express commercials.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dutch1008 said:

You know, just because Patrick Cantlay was sponsored by Goldman and now Apollo doesn't mean he should be negotiating a merger w/ Yassir and his army of ex-Morgan Stanley and Wachtell advisors 😉

Honesty, that sounds like a spin on the Holiday Inn Express commercials.  

He’s not, it sounds like it’s just SSG, Joe Border (Valero Chairman and head of pga enterprises) and TW. 

SSG could be looking to push this to 2026. I think BK, BD, DJ, and few others contracts are up by then. 

To resign them, I could see BK asking 500MM like Rahm got. BD asking 200MM, and others making big asks as well. 

• Like 1

This is such a deliciously poised scenario where the PGA Tour are being forced to act.  Can they continue to do nothing?  Can Jay continue to be invisible?  @Dutch1008 I would love to see negotiations continue exclusively at Holiday Inn Expresses.  Patty Ice may have procured many skills and abilities of Goldman employees via osmosis after years of wearing their hat.  So that's good news.

• Haha 1

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

6 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Jimmy Dunne just resigned his spot on the board effective immediately. 

My favorite part of his statement is that ‘no meaningful progress toward a deal has been made since the framework agreement.’  That confirms that they’re not anywhere close to doing a deal, which is great news to me.  Hopefully those opposing a deal, as well as any role of the PGA Tour overseas, will hold firm and the Tour will just move on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Archimedes65 said:

My favorite part of his statement is that ‘no meaningful progress toward a deal has been made since the framework agreement.’  That confirms that they’re not anywhere close to doing a deal, which is great news to me.  Hopefully those opposing a deal, as well as any role of the PGA Tour overseas, will hold firm and the Tour will just move on.

At this point, I really don’t think any agreement will be made between the two sides.  

4 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

At this point, I really don’t think any agreement will be made between the two sides.  

Sounds like he was pushed out

He has no money on the line like SSG, he’s not a player. 

Joe Gorder was just made Chairman of PGA Tour Enterprises so sounds like JDunne was ofd man out

“Joe Gorder is set to serve as the inaugural Chairman of the PGA Tour Enterprises. For the unversed, this new entity was approved by the PGA Tour Policy Board, and the people involved in it will be making important golf-related business decisions, investment decisions, and overseeing commercial operations.

Coming back to Joe Gorder, he serves as the Executive Chairman of the Board at the Valero Energy Corporation. “

At least he mentions having a commitment to engaging with PIF lol

“It's an honor to serve as the first Chairman of the PGA TOUR Enterprises Board. Having witnessed the profound impact of the PGA TOUR at the Valero Texas Open, I've seen firsthand how deeply the TOUR connects with communities and ignites its passionate fanbase. My dedication to this organization and optimism for what lies ahead are shared by all board members. Together with our Player Directors, we understand that fans are counting on us to actively engage with the PIF and pursue other investment and innovation opportunities that benefit everyone—fans, players, and sponsors alike. We're all committed to making this happen.”

https://www.sportskeeda.com/golf/who-joe-gorder-all-need-know-new-pga-tour-enterprises-chairman

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

100% agree and have been saying that since last June.  I just can’t believe that they’ve allowed it to drag on this long without walking away.  The framework agreement made no sense and seemed like something cobbled together in an afternoon and disclosed too soon.  My guess is that either the PIF negotiated in bad faith as regards the claim that Monahan would have control over LIV’s future, or Monahan and Dunne severely misinterpreted the negotiations.

1 minute ago, Archimedes65 said:

100% agree and have been saying that since last June.  I just can’t believe that they’ve allowed it to drag on this long without walking away.  The framework agreement made no sense and seemed like something cobbled together in an afternoon and disclosed too soon.  My guess is that either the PIF negotiated in bad faith as regards the claim that Monahan would have control over LIV’s future, or Monahan and Dunne severely misinterpreted the negotiations.

cant wait to see if the pga tour is able to outlast PIF guess those old geezers who hate the liv vs pga tour narrative are in for a sad decade 

4 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Sounds like he was pushed out

He has no money on the line like SSG, he’s not a player. 

Joe Gorder was just made Chairman of PGA Tour Enterprises so sounds like JDunne was ofd man out

“Joe Gorder is set to serve as the inaugural Chairman of the PGA Tour Enterprises. For the unversed, this new entity was approved by the PGA Tour Policy Board, and the people involved in it will be making important golf-related business decisions, investment decisions, and overseeing commercial operations.

Coming back to Joe Gorder, he serves as the Executive Chairman of the Board at the Valero Energy Corporation. “

At least he mentions having a commitment to engaging with PIF lol

“It's an honor to serve as the first Chairman of the PGA TOUR Enterprises Board. Having witnessed the profound impact of the PGA TOUR at the Valero Texas Open, I've seen firsthand how deeply the TOUR connects with communities and ignites its passionate fanbase. My dedication to this organization and optimism for what lies ahead are shared by all board members. Together with our Player Directors, we understand that fans are counting on us to actively engage with the PIF and pursue other investment and innovation opportunities that benefit everyone—fans, players, and sponsors alike. We're all committed to making this happen.”

https://www.sportskeeda.com/golf/who-joe-gorder-all-need-know-new-pga-tour-enterprises-chairman

“Fans are counting on us to actively engage with the PIF…”  😂

What fans are they referring to?  Everyone I talk to is against doing a deal with the Saudi’s.  I think these guys think if they just keep repeating something, it’ll be true.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, jimecherry said:

cant wait to see if the pga tour is able to outlast PIF guess those old geezers who hate the liv vs pga tour narrative are in for a sad decade 

I’ve polled a bunch of the young guard at our club, from the 25-35 bro crowd, all the way down to the high school players. I’ve found exactly four people (one foursome) that was pro LIV.  Everyone else I talk to hates it and wishes it was gone.  I was curious if it was just the 50-80 group, so I actively ask young golfers all the time what their view is and it’s overwhelmingly been pro PGA Tour and anti LIV.

But then again maybe there are a lot of people who want to see Louis Oostheizen’s legs and hear Slayer in the background when they watch a golf tournament.

Edited by Archimedes65
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Archimedes65 said:

I’ve polled a bunch of the young guard at our club, from the 25-35 bro crowd, all the way down to the high school players. I’ve found exactly four people (one foursome) that was pro LIV.  Everyone else I talk to hates it and wishes it was gone.  I was curious if it was just the 50-80 group, so I actively ask young golfers all the time what their view is and it’s overwhelmingly been pro PGA Tour and anti LIV.

But then again maybe there are a lot of people who want to see Louis Oostheizen’s legs and hear Slayer in the background when they watch a golf tournament.

reread what i said the part i'm accusing older gentlemen of hating is the war itself which will continue

10 minutes ago, Archimedes65 said:

The bros just telling you that cause they know you hate it and don’t wanna deal with your grief.

🤣🍻

Kidding A65, you’re my friend!

But the bros can’t be counted on, ever time they forget, PIF needs to be brought into the fold so they have a stake in the pga tour and can benefit fro it and not steal major winners every year 

Sounds like Rory isn't on a meaningless committee.

With what is coming out, Dunne needed to go and crying on the way out is pretty petty.  

Sometimes a Dunne deal isn't a Dunne deal!

If true he worked out a deal where Mr. PIF was going to chair the board of the new enterprise, not hard to understand why players were pissed and if Jay was pushing that . . . for as good as a job as he's done, he made a big boo boo.

If some players are taking more interest and driving the bus a bit, with the awful way the other league has gone, more power to them - there's hope for the game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Dunne wasn’t on the board of the for profit enterprise anyway, so all that was left was the policy board, which is now controlled by the players.  So, it made perfect sense to leave.  The only shocking thing in his departure is him being the first insider to admit that the Tour is nowhere with PIF on a deal and are really now only just starting the process.  So anyone expecting a quick resolution to this may have to change their expectations.  As someone else said, it may be SSG wants to slow walk things for a while and let LIV’s player contracts age a bit.  That would make sense on a number of levels.

While it’s good the players are engaged, you can’t have a league where the players run the show.  You need a strong ownership/leadership group to make decisions in the best interest of the overall league, or you’re just going to have constant debate/disagreement.

Edited by Archimedes65

31 minutes ago, Archimedes65 said:

Dunne wasn’t on the board of the for profit enterprise anyway, so all that was left was the policy board, which is now controlled by the players.  So, it made perfect sense to leave.  The only shocking thing in his departure is him being the first insider to admit that the Tour is nowhere with PIF on a deal and are really now only just starting the process.  So anyone expecting a quick resolution to this may have to change their expectations.  As someone else said, it may be SSG wants to slow walk things for a while and let LIV’s player contracts age a bit.  That would make sense on a number of levels.

While it’s good the players are engaged, you can’t have a league where the players run the show.  You need a strong ownership/leadership group to make decisions in the best interest of the overall league, or you’re just going to have constant debate/disagreement.

That means we’re at least 3 years away from a resolution 

9 hours ago, Pops99 said:

This s**t is exhausting. Sigh. 

So sung Taylor Swift (We are never ever getting back together).

• Haha 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag