2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

US Olympics Golf Team

mosesgolf

1 minute ago, fowlerscousin said:

Not only does OWGR have flawed methodology, they have not produced a white paper explaining why their model has more accuracy than a model that would accept different parameters, such as professional golf events without 72 holes.

Are they obligated to, if so by whom?

I get it, you disagree with it, but just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean your right or it’s unfair.

Edited by Pnwpingi210
  • Like 4

Just now, fowlerscousin said:

Not only does OWGR have flawed methodology, they have not produced a white paper explaining why their model has more accuracy than a model that would accept different parameters, such as professional golf events without 72 holes.

They give OWGR points to professional tours that play on average less than 72 hole events.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fowlerscousin said:

Maybe they just don’t like LIV 🤷🏼‍♂️

🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

They give OWGR points to professional tours that play on average less than 72 hole events.

Do those tours play any 72 hole tournaments.

or maybe a better question is are there any tours on the list that never play a 72 hole tournament?  I legitimately don’t know.  If there is, seems like LIV should have a pathway.

Edited by Pnwpingi210

Really not a fan of Clark in the lineup or using OWGR as the barometer for the selection process given the current split in golf. Yes, LIV players knew what they were signing up for in going off to play unranked events, but that shouldn't mean that we treat OWGR as gospel when there's a guy who has played great at all three majors. No offense to Clark, it's not like he's totally unworthy, but the guy is not in my top 10 as far as who I would select to play best-on-best representing the United States. Bryson simply has a better resume and is in far better form. I get not deviating from standard operating procedure, but the OWGR does not mean what it once did.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I still don’t know what that means.  All golfers can make a choice to put themselves in a the best position to be ranked in the owgr.  The criteria is clear to everybody or am I missing something?

edit: it’s posted here - https://www.owgr.com/how-the-ranking-works

We don’t agree on much but we agree on your replies here. Although the logic you’re replying to reminds me of others in the other thread

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I don't think so or if they do, it is a very small number. The number of holes played has never been the issue. It's the "closed shop" and "qualifying" issues.

It doesn't answer the question, but the exact week that LIV had its first ever event outside London, 5 of the 9 events that earned OWGR points were not 72 hole events.  4 were 54 hole events and 1 was a match play event. 

Many of those are much smaller series, but it is pretty common for OWGR to award full points to less than 72 hole events.  And I'm not talking about events effected by weather that drop to only 54 holes.  These were 54 hole event from the get go. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

They really just need to expand the field and have the women play in Week 1 and the men play in Week 2 or vice versa.  Limiting the fields to 60 total players just hamstrings the event and makes winning gold less meaningful.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S +1/2"

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

28 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Gotcha.  Sounds like there are some things Liv needs to resolve to be on par (pun intended) to be in consideration.

LIV has decided they don’t want to play by the OWGR rules. They said no to the proposal from OWGR board that would have earned them points then not long after that they pulled their application.

At this point LIV leadership isn’t interested in getting points for their members

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kiawah said:

Really not a fan of Clark in the lineup or using OWGR as the barometer for the selection process given the current split in golf. Yes, LIV players knew what they were signing up for in going off to play unranked events, but that shouldn't mean that we treat OWGR as gospel when there's a guy who has played great at all three majors. No offense to Clark, it's not like he's totally unworthy, but the guy is not in my top 10 as far as who I would select to play best-on-best representing the United States. Bryson simply has a better resume and is in far better form. I get not deviating from standard operating procedure, but the OWGR does not mean what it once did.  

the olympics isnt best on best its a smallish tournament with limited spots 

20 minutes ago, SheriffBooth said:

They really just need to expand the field and have the women play in Week 1 and the men play in Week 2 or vice versa.  Limiting the fields to 60 total players just hamstrings the event and makes winning gold less meaningful.

I’ve long thought two-person teams was a better fit for the Olympics. Maybe a mixed event, as they have in curling.

• Like 2

There have been rumors about team golf at the LA Olympics.  Do something like the International Crown event on the LPGA event.  12-16 countries field a four person mixed team, two male and two female.  World Cup Soccer like groupings, with four teams per group.  MM vs MM best ball, FF vs FF best ball, and then MF vs MF better ball in match play format earning 1/2 and 1 points.  Top two teams from each group moves forward.

A lot of other Olympic sports do multiple qualifying rounds before you get to the finale.  Think of all the people running something like the 100yd dash, you might have 8-12 heats prior, then qtr finals, semis etc., narrowing it down to the final group of eight runners in the finale.     

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FriedEgg said:

Team golf - oh my

Let's have team track and field while we're at it.  2 man 2 women 4x4 relay yeah that would be great lol.

• Confused 1

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

15 minutes ago, mosesgolf said:

Let's have team track and field while we're at it.  2 man 2 women 4x4 relay yeah that would be great lol.

The humanity!

• Like 2

Oh hey, mixed relay swimming at the Olympics.  How dare they!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ashaka said:

Don't be silly, he couldn't do anything to embarrass your country more than your population does on a daily basis.

Just for grins, what Country do you call home? Must be someplace real special, well at least in your eyes.

If you look hard enough there are embarrassing people everywhere..as a rule people suck.

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9* GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

2 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I’m not sure how you come to that conclusion but it your opinion and it’s valid.

the fact remains that the owgr is the system used and it’s clear how the system is used to determine who gets into the Olympics.  If an athlete wants to compete in the Olympics, its on the athlete to put themselves in the best position to do so.

Isn't the PGAT commissioner on the OWGR board? Can you see how some might question the integrity and genuineness of the OWGR?

Why do the PIF women's Aramco Series 54-hole individual and team events get Rolex World Rankings but the PIF Men's LIV Golf 54-hole individual and team events don't get OWGR?

Is it because the DPWT/PGAT rejected them and formed a strategic alliance that was handled opposite to the LET/LPGA that embraced the Aramco Series?

Had the DPWT accepted LIV from the beginning do you think they would be getting OWGR?

It seems to me that OWGR made some decisions while emotions were still running high and dug themselves a hole they couldn't climb out of.

Remember the OWGR makes the criteria and has changed those criteria many times to suit the PGAT.

(My apologies if this isn't the proper discussion for this thread, I'm still learning the ropes)

Cheers.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Opie Taylor said:

Isn't the PGAT commissioner on the OWGR board? Can you see how some might question the integrity and genuineness of the OWGR?

Why do the PIF women's Aramco Series 54-hole individual and team events get Rolex World Rankings but the PIF Men's LIV Golf 54-hole individual and team events don't get OWGR?

Is it because the DPWT/PGAT rejected them and formed a strategic alliance that was handled opposite to the LET/LPGA that embraced the Aramco Series?

Had the DPWT accepted LIV from the beginning do you think they would be getting OWGR?

It seems to me that OWGR made some decisions while emotions were still running high and dug themselves a hole they couldn't climb out of.

Remember the OWGR makes the criteria and has changed those criteria many times to suit the PGAT.

(My apologies if this isn't the proper discussion for this thread, I'm still learning the ropes)

Cheers.

I dont know the answer to any of your questions.  If I tried to answer I would be speculating.

what I do know is there the rules are the rules.  Sounds like LIV is no longer pursuing a pathway for owgr points for its members.