Hole-outs from the fairway!!!

SwooshLT

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 15 years old playing with my dad, Gil McDougald, 1951 Rookie of Year for the NY Yankees and Gils son. First hole on a Private Club in NJ, hit a bad drive, i was soo nervous ...I holed out with my 7 iron from 157 yards!!! I was soo excited! The last hole I chipped in with that same 7 iron off the green from about 30 yards. Shot 79. Gil t ook my bag off my dads cart and put it on his, we talked the whole round. It was perfect!

Just one hole out for an eagle on a par 4 - 190 yard 6 iron. And I looked away as it took a bounce and went in. My dad had to teel me what happened.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

I've never had a hole in one, but many hole-outs. Best was from 187 out, behind a tree, in decently deep rough. Hit a low runner I was hoping would just get within 50 yards of the green. Came out hot and just kept running. It's a tough 495 yard par 4 (dogleg that you can cut a good bit off of) and probably my best score on a hole when I consider the hole. I think I've probably had 10-12 or even a few more. I do remember the week I made the one described earlier, I had two others on a short par four. I've never had a week like that before or since.

Lot's of luck involved with those types of things happening. I haven't had one in a good year or two. Most recent I can recall was holing out for 3 on a par 5 from about 65 yards last summer.

Two hole-outs for eagle from a reasonable distance in the fairway: a 70 yd. PW, and a 173 yd. 4i.

My playing partner just missed his first ever from 140 yds. with an 8i this past Saturday. He was two inches away.

Had some short pitch shots over bunkers hole out for birdie. Not really memorable. Almost had one this past Saturday on #18 -- it hit the flagstick and dropped a foot or so away.

2 that I can recall on par-4's. One was an 8-iron in a Jr. Am qualifier and the other was more recent, a Gap Wedge that landed about 5 feet past the pin and sucked back into it. I can recall at least one hole out with a wedge on a par 5. I just rememebr it was with a new Mizuno wedge back in 1994....Ben Small took it back to Derbyshire England with him when he left the states. That bastxxx.

Does a hole-out only count if is for birdie or better? How about at my local Muni,1st shot= Driver=ob,3rd shot Driver into fairway bunker, 4th shot 7I to 130yds,5th shot PW onto an elavated green. It looked good off the club,get to the green and can't find my ball,look around for about 5 minutes finally check the cup.Bingo!! The only bad part was I was playing alone. :) Todd

• 3 months later...

My buddy and I snuck out onto our local course at like 5pm one day this summer. And I kept checking behind us like we were gonna get caught by the marshall. But anyways we play two holes on the front and skip over to the back. Well it was starting to get dark and we could barley see, so we descide its our last hole of the night which was the 15th hole at the course. 510 yard par 4. I have about 220 into the green where I can barley see. Proceed to knock it in for eagle and I couldn't even see the ball go in!!

WITB 2019:

Callaway Epic Flash Sub 0 Driver
Callaway Rogue 3-wood
Callaway Apex MB 3-PW
Chrome 4 Wedges 52 & 56
Ping Anser No.5 Putter

I have 6 for eagles (5 on par 4s, 1 on par 5) that I can recall. Also have 3 or 4 for birdie saves. I have 1 ace.

I seem to do it once a year lately. Had 2 hole outs this year alone, 110 yard eagle on a par 4, and 45-yards birdie after punching out from the trees... yelled for both to go in, and the 45 yarder was nothin' but net!

been playing for about 5 yrs. Have had 1 ace, 168 yrd par 3. 3 hole outs for eagle on par fours, best was 9 iron from 145. 1 hole out for double eagle, punch n run 6 iron from 180.

While we are on the subject; I played in a 3 man scramble this wknd. My team was -25 through 36 holes, went into playoff for 1st place and the opposing team holed out a punch 8 iron from about 110 yds on the 1st playoff hole to beat us!! Biggest load of crap I've ever seen!!! Needless to say I felt like Greg Norman!!!!!!!!!!

Big dogleg right uphill hole, pulled my drive a little left and was sitting in some thick rough. About 135 to go, greenside bunker right in front. Can't actually see the cup where I'm standing. I hit, right on line, great distance, saw it land, heard the flag...holed it! I eagled the par 4 while playing a skins game with some friends. When you've got a couple roll overs on the line and you hole out before anyone else hits into the green...you get in their heads a little (we play eagle is quadruple for the hole) ;)

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

Just 3 so far, but they were all special.

Holeout number 1 - 60 yards - SW:

The first time I broke 80, I struggled on the same 3 holes all week and shot 80 practically every time. Number 12, a 470 yard par 4 that plays longer than that, number 13 is a 240 yard par 3, and then number 14, a 420 yard par 4 with water, OB and trouble all over. The day I finally broke through, I started on the back that day, parred 12, then hit a horrible tee shot on 13. I had about 60 yards left. And I hit a sand wedge that landed and released, rolled right in. Shot 3 under on the first 9 (1 under on that stretch of holes that killed me) and 77 overall, doubling two of the last three holes.

Holeout number 2 - 150 yards - 7 Iron:

In a 9 hole stretch that I had one par and shot 1 under, I came to the 5th hole (425 yards) with two birdies and two bogeys. Its a severely sloping fairway with a ridge in the middle that sends everything left, with a prevailing R to L wind. I hit 2 iron off the tee, as far right as I can. Had 150 in the rough, quartering wind from the right. Hit a baby cut 3/4 7 iron, letting the wind hold it off, and stopped watching it as I saw it was coming down in the center of the green. I figured about 15-20 feet at worst. I get up there, don't see my ball and I'm baffled. I check the bunkers, which seemed impossible given where it was headed. Not there. Checked the back, maybe it went over. Nope. Finally, I just grab every imaginable club and trudge up the back of the green, which is pretty severe of a slope. And as I'm walking up, I just realized it was in the hole. And as I get to the hole, I'm thinking I'll see it in there. And there it was. Eagle 2. Shot 1 under with 1 par on that 9 holes.

Holeout number 3 - 70 yards - LW:

I was playing at another course in Reno, with two guys who they put me with. I had a streak of 6 rounds in a row where I birdied the first hole. I hit a good drive, and have the perfect yardage for my 7 iron. And I reverse shank it. A trap shank. Ground ball to the short stop. I walk up to my ball, and decide to hit a low lob wedge, and try to hop-hop-stop the ball and use the backstop behind the flag. I deloft it, take a punch swing and it flies in there low, a little past the flag. It hopped, checked and zipped back right into the cup. Kept my first hole streak going.

I am playing a nice little $$$$ match with a friend and I have to give him a stoke on a Par 5.

This hole is playing into the sun and you cnat see the ball hit the green. I hit my second shot (3 wood from 240) and its going towards the middle of the green. He hits his 3rd shot about a foot from the hole....well he is giving me grief about his net three that he is about to make. We are still in the process of looking for my ball. I assume it has gone over the green and then I hear him start cussing...well my ball was in the hole for a Double Eagle 2

JWF

ALL Taylormade :)

• 1 month later...

Holed out once from about 110. Hit a cut spinner into a postage stamp green that runs away. I thought that was the only type of shot that would have a chance to get close. Took a small hop and then spun to the right and into the hole.

Holed out from about 40 yards on 3rd shot into a par 5. Had to hit sort of a high soft landing flop/pitch shot out of the rough.

Another from about 30 yards for par when I was about 15 years old.

About 3 weeks ago, I made one for eagle on a par 5 from about 40 yards. Had a tight zoysia (sp?) lie with a big upslope in front of the green and only 10-15 feet of green to work with. Decided to use my 56* and hit something with some spin on it. It landed where I wanted it to and checked up. It sat on the lip for about 3 seconds and then fell in.

Made and Ace in June this year. 176 yards to slightly uphill green. Couldn't see it go in, but one of the guys in my group said, "I think it went in!" The cool thing about it was that it was the exact type of shot that I was trying to hit. The pin was slightly behind a bunker that was right of the green and a little in front of the green. We had a skins game going and a closest to pin game going to. I decided to hit a high baby cut because that was the best way to get it close. I hit the shot and it went in. :partytime2:

Another time I drove the green on a par 4. Couldn't see the green because the hole bent to the left. I hit a draw around the corner and could hear my friends hooping and hollaring on the green. Yes, I hit into them. They said that it was rolling right to the hole in the center of the cup, but it ran out of steam 3 inches from the hole. No hole out, but a tap in for eagle.

I've had multiple eagles from the fairway on both par 4's and 5's. Most recent came a few weeks ago. My brother was in town and we were palying in a tournament. The second hole is a par 4 347 yards...not very long but its a slight dog leg left with multiple bunkers on both sides of the fairway. I hit a pretty good drive with a slight draw about 270 yards. My brother has already hit three times and still not on the green. I take out my GW from 78 yards and hit a low skipper behind the flag about 6 feet and sucked right back into the hole...my brother looked at me and told me how much I suck. Ah, brotherly love!

I was wondering how long it would be before the traditional Doubting Thomas appeared in this thread.

The 'I play off 9 and I'm the best player in my regular fourball and hit a decent ball that my mates, who all play off between 15 and 25, reckon goes a long way. I've never really played with anyone who plays golf to a top level amateur or professional standard but, basing things on my own inflated idea of my distinctly average game, I find it impossible to believe that anyone can score as low as that/hit it that far/do something like that (delete as applicable) since my best ever score is only 73 and I've never driven it more than about 310 yards, even in the summer in Colorado. I call BS...' brigade.

Thanks for your contribution; and congrats on that 73. Keep at it mate. The secret's in the dirt.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2