2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

On 11/18/2023 at 7:01 AM, 1puttTUT said:

Doing a stay and play in early February at Whirlwind with a Southern Dunes round mixed in on the last day.

For day of arrival: flight lands at 11:30 am. When should I book the tee time for to ensure we get there in time but still finish before dark? Fyi we have a ride coming to get us so no rental car hassle needed.

I was thinking 1:30 pm but wouldn't mind some expert advice.

Assuming you are playing at WW.   1:30 is right on the edge of being able to finish - dark will prob be just about 6; WW has the mountain range that the sun goes down over, so light twindles sooner than some other places in Phx.    1130 land, ~1230 by the time you get luggage and 30-35min to get to the course.  

I would say you have 2 options:  schedule something like 1pm and hope eveything works out flawlessly; if it doesn't and you are running late, you could always call and ask them to push you back and let others go.  Or, just do 130 and hope for a 430 round.   Personally, I would just set the 130 time and hope for a 420/30 round.  If you get 16 or 17 in, I think that is better.  WW is a very good facility and if you end up getting there around 1, you can enjoy the range/facility before the round.  Plus, there is always a chance you get there and get out early *slim, but a chance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Assuming you are playing at WW.   1:30 is right on the edge of being able to finish - dark will prob be just about 6; WW has the mountain range that the sun goes down over, so light twindles sooner than some other places in Phx.    1130 land, ~1230 by the time you get luggage and 30-35min to get to the course.  

I would say you have 2 options:  schedule something like 1pm and hope eveything works out flawlessly; if it doesn't and you are running late, you could always call and ask them to push you back and let others go.  Or, just do 130 and hope for a 430 round.   Personally, I would just set the 130 time and hope for a 420/30 round.  If you get 16 or 17 in, I think that is better.  WW is a very good facility and if you end up getting there around 1, you can enjoy the range/facility before the round.  Plus, there is always a chance you get there and get out early *slim, but a chance.

Thanks!

Poston Butte. Worth the 90 minute drive from Phoenix or Tucson?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

34 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I played there late summer this year and it was in good shape. I can't speak to the quality of the overseed. This is a typical tract of flat desert that a developer bought and built a small town with a golf course, community center and other amenities. The layout is routed through all of the housing. I can't say any of the holes stand out as memorable. It reminded me of Johnson Ranch (now San Tan Highlands), Power Ranch and several others in the West Valley. I would play it again sometime as I like to play a good variety of courses and it was about a 45-minute drive for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Worth 90 min drive - No.  Good course condition-wise and good holes, but flat and all through a housing community, no views, other.  But a good facility in general.  If you are in Phx, you would be better off going to play Copper Canyon (if you haven't already) as it is the same master community except on the NW side, with 3 9s and better views.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Worth 90 min drive - No.  Good course condition-wise and good holes, but flat and all through a housing community, no views, other.  But a good facility in general.  If you are in Phx, you would be better off going to play Copper Canyon (if you haven't already) as it is the same master community except on the NW side, with 3 9s and better views.

I played Copper Canyon on my last visit. Enjoyable. 

I'll be in town for two weeks, and I'm looking to check off the few courses I haven't played in the valley. Granite Falls South, and Westbrook Village Vistas appear to be the only courses missing besides the numerous par 3 and executive courses. I had PB on my list, but it doesn't seem worth the drive. 

I have a friend in town with a city card, so we'll play Aguila and Cave Creek for old times same. Probably revisit Southern Dunes, TPC Champions, Verrado Founders, and We Ko Pa Cholla. Might pony up for one of the Grayhawk courses depending on the coinage. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

3 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I played Copper Canyon on my last visit. Enjoyable. 

I'll be in town for two weeks, and I'm looking to check off the few courses I haven't played in the valley. Granite Falls South, and Westbrook Village Vistas appear to be the only courses missing besides the numerous par 3 and executive courses. I had PB on my list, but it doesn't seem worth the drive. 

I have a friend in town with a city card, so we'll play Aguila and Cave Creek for old times same. Probably revisit Southern Dunes, TPC Champions, Verrado Founders, and We Ko Pa Cholla. Might pony up for one of the Grayhawk courses depending on the coinage. 

I will be there week b4 Xmas still have White Tee

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smurn90 said:

Quick out and back from East Coast this weekend and hitting Boulders North Course, Both Troon's (Pinnacle & Monument), and Grayhawk Talon.. What can I expect out there? You can skip any of the "should have done this or that".. Rounds are booked and trip is a go! Thanks!

You can expect some good golf that's for sure! Solid choices. Weather should be perfect, other than a small chance of rain on Fri/Sat. 

I know you said "skip the should have done this/that" but.... Just for informational/future trips I'd choose We-Ko-Pa Saguaro/Cholla or Grayhawk Raptor over Boulders just about every time, only listed those courses based on the location in Scottsdale. Being an east coaster, you're still going to enjoy your round at Boulders. 

Edited by AzSuperHack76

18 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

I know you said "skip the should have done this/that" but.... Just for informational/future trips I'd choose We-Ko-Pa Saguaro/Cholla or Grayhawk Raptor over Boulders just about every time, only listed those courses based on the location in Scottsdale. Being an east coaster, you're still going to enjoy your round at Boulders. 

... I think we have more "you should play it once" courses here in Phoenix than any place I have lived or played. Boulder is a perfect example. I enjoyed those huge boulders on a few holes as they are very unique and I of course took pictures, but I found the course itself underwhelming. I am glad I played it but wouldn't go back unless it was with an out of town friend. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

On 12/1/2023 at 9:05 AM, Baraethon said:

How are the Talking Stick courses? Golfnow has some great deals on the North course, but I don't see them talked about much here.

I'm coming to town end of January and booked a 1:45 pm tee time. Will I have enough daylight to finish at that starting time?

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

42 minutes ago, jjthomp2 said:

I'm coming to town end of January and booked a 1:45 pm tee time. Will I have enough daylight to finish at that starting time?

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/phoenix?month=1&year=2024

Unlikely. Peak season and courses are packed and slow. Also there will be a decent chance of a frost delay which would push your time back unless they are able to catch up throughout the day. 

On 12/1/2023 at 7:05 AM, Baraethon said:

How are the Talking Stick courses? Golfnow has some great deals on the North course, but I don't see them talked about much here.

@Baraethon They have been talked about quite a bit actually.  In general, you will find the sentiment to be across the spectrum.  

For the North course, you will hear a wide range of discussion on the design and layout - in some cases people think it is repetitive and holes are similar.  In other cases, people see the design elements.  Some of the holes are definitely "shoved" into spaces that make shots less than desirable (2 & 3).  But in general, it is a good course - just not a wow factor.

The South course is very polarizing.  There are many that just dislike the course.  I like the course and I think it is a decent course with some good holes.  There are some below average holes, but in general I think it is a good round.

The courses will always be in pretty good shape and the greens almost always good.  

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, jjthomp2 said:

ZERO CHANCE

Jan will have a high probability of a frost delay, thus pushing starting times by up to 1 hour.  A 1:45 tee time will only get 9 holes in unless the course is perfect in making up time or doing something like split times.  But even making up time, you are getting 14-15 holes in based on tourism play.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

ZERO CHANCE

Jan will have a high probability of a frost delay, thus pushing starting times by up to 1 hour.  A 1:45 tee time will only get 9 holes in unless the course is perfect in making up time or doing something like split times.  But even making up time, you are getting 14-15 holes in based on tourism play.

IDK that I would say zero chance but it's certainly not likely.  Sun would be setting just around 545-6 this time of year.  Talking stick is close enough in that I wouldnt expect as many frost delays as places like Southern Dunes and WeKoPa which get riddled with them in January.  

Pace of play at talking stick is always a problem though.  It's almost always a 4:45-5 hour round.  They are just brutal on PoP

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

1 hour ago, SilverBullets said:

IDK that I would say zero chance but it's certainly not likely.  Sun would be setting just around 545-6 this time of year.  Talking stick is close enough in that I wouldnt expect as many frost delays as places like Southern Dunes and WeKoPa which get riddled with them in January.  

Pace of play at talking stick is always a problem though.  It's almost always a 4:45-5 hour round.  They are just brutal on PoP

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back in town for the first time since early March 2021. I'll be here until January 1st. Has anything new opened since Sterling Grove? I'll probably play a dozen rounds, and Granite Falls South is the only full length 18 hole course I haven't played in the area. 

Nice weather by the way. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Back in town for the first time since early March 2021. I'll be here until January 1st. Has anything new opened since Sterling Grove? I'll probably play a dozen rounds, and Granite Falls South is the only full length 18 hole course I haven't played in the area. 

Nice weather by the way. 

Don't think so. Copper Canyon opened up a new 9 a few years ago, not sure if you had played it yet. Biltmore Adobe, now Biltmore Estates just went through a major overhaul/redesign. I haven't played it yet, it's ridiculously overpriced, I'll wait until next summer.

For a value round, Tres Rios redid all of their greens and bunkers, they are actually really good. It's a lot better than it was, but of course it's still Tres Rios, rough around the edges and a little bit of a wonky layout but they did dump a ton of money into the course due to the amount of money they have received for the future Jr. National Golf Club and resource center that will be built out there. 

Proposed Master Plan Amendment for Expansion of Existing Golf Course Passes - Press Releases - News | Maricopa County Parks & Recreation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Nice weather by the way. 

Maybe do a tour of the "executive" length courses in the area if you want to try some new-to-you courses?

I don't think anything all-new has opened since Sterling Grove. There was the aforementioned Tres Rios renovation; Power Ranch, Biltmore Adobe (now called Biltmore Estates), and Rolling Hills just reopened after major renovations; and Ahwatukee Lakes re-opened after a few dormant years; though conditions there might be similar to your last round at Tres Rios. Mission Royale in Casa Grande might have been closed on your last trip and is open again.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Nice weather by the way. 

Wigwam Red completed renovated all the bunkers a couple years ago. Overseed came in nice. Could be a good value round and most definitely walkable with no cart requirements. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Back in town for the first time since early March 2021. I'll be here until January 1st.

Welcome back! I just returned from a 6 day buddy trip. If you haven't booked all of your rounds, Sterling Grove, Longbow, and Quintero are all in fantastic shape. If you play Longbow or are in northeast Mesa, Nando's and Carbajal's are great choices for Mexican food.

Edited by Golf Pig
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ohjims said:

I'll be in area next week and found time for one round. Out of everything I've read, I've narrowed it down to Verado founders for $107 or Ak-Chin Southern Dunes for $188... is southern dunes worth $80 more? Which Verrado is better? Thanks!

Yes, I'd pay the extra $80 and play Southern Dunes 9 out of 10 times. Possibly 10 out of 10.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ohjims said:

I'll be in area next week and found time for one round. Out of everything I've read, I've narrowed it down to Verado founders for $107 or Ak-Chin Southern Dunes for $188... is southern dunes worth $80 more? Which Verrado is better? Thanks!

... I love Southern Dunes for pure golf but the desert/mountain views at Verrado Founders would be much more appealing to me if visiting from out of town. Cheaper makes it an easy choice. Others may disagree but I am not a big fan of Verrado Victory, especially if only playing it once. The only fly in the ointment is Verrado can be iffy for conditions while Southern Dunes is always in great shape. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

6 hours ago, ohjims said:

Depends on what you want, Az desert golf? Founders is clearly your choice, $107, it’s priced right for this time of year. If you want the better layout and a great mix of holes then SD is your choice. Conditions wise they should both be in similar shape. But both courses need some improvement with their bunkers, but that probably goes for 90% of Az courses. 

• Like 3

On 11/24/2023 at 9:03 AM, puttnforthe8 said:

If you are in Phx, you would be better off going to play Copper Canyon (if you haven't already) as it is the same master community except on the NW side, with 3 9s and better views.

I have lived in Sun City Festival (home of Copper Canyon) for 7 years and as a retired club pro can say the course conditions are excellent for a residential community course. Greens can get a bit beat up in snowbird season and bunkers do need renovation but that is in the long-term plans. Being snowbird season tee times can be difficult but keep an eye out on Golf Now for availability. I've played with many Phoenix residents, and they are impressed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Mtn_Mikey said:

I have lived in Sun City Festival (home of Copper Canyon) for 7 years and as a retired club pro can say the course conditions are excellent for a residential community course. Greens can get a bit beat up in snowbird season and bunkers do need renovation but that is in the long-term plans. Being snowbird season tee times can be difficult but keep an eye out on Golf Now for availability. I've played with many Phoenix residents, and they are impressed. 

Playing tomorrow!  So will report on the conditions

• Thanks 1

Curious if anyone has played Red Mountain Ranch in Mesa AZ lately?  The reviews I've seen are all over the map.. I see it maybe was good at one point then went downhill in a hurry but is maybe back in good condition again?  

Reasonable rates this time of year so tempted to book it but hoping for some feedback. 

Thanks all.