Taking Unused Balls Home from Driving Range (MERGED)

Get a monthly pass and hit as many or few balls as you want. These passes are offered at a discount the range owner is comfortable offering. By taking their property off the premises with the purpose of using their facilities in essence for free the next time around you are creating your own "2 for 1" discount and you are stealing. Plain and simple. Especially if you go into it with that as your plan.

The idea that a range owner/Business man should pro-rate back the difference of the Large bucket you bought, and the medium bucket you apparently should have bought is, IMO, completely nuts. If you rent a power tool in 4 hour increments and only use it for 2 hours, No place will give a 2 hour refund. There are budgets, and price points to everything.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mrhills0146' date='15 March 2010 - 08:54 AM' timestamp='1268657666' post='2316714']
[quote name='larrybud' date='14 March 2010 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1268603186' post='2315557']
I also go 10 mph over the speed limit on the freeway. I wonder how many of the perfect people here do that, and do you make sure you tell the cops about it? Gimme a break!
[/quote]

A non sequitur is always useful to defend the indefensible.
[/quote]
Spoken just like someone who breaks the law by going 10 over!

It's certainly not a non-sequitur. The question at hand is the morality of a minor crime, and I'd say going 10 over is similar to borrowing 20 balls for a week from the range (at least in my case) on the level of crimes... Heck, going 10 over is probably worse.

[quote name='TM_HOYER' date='14 March 2010 - 06:25 PM' timestamp='1268605542' post='2315625']
[quote name='larrybud' date='14 March 2010 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1268603186' post='2315557']
I also go 10 mph over the speed limit on the freeway. I wonder how many of the perfect people here do that, and do you make sure you tell the cops about it? Gimme a break!
[/quote]

As I said previously, any excuse to justify their actions. When we debunk their excuse, they will come up with another.
[/quote]
It's not justification, it's an example of moral equivalency brought up to show how ridiculous some of you are at the "outrage" you're expressing. Touches a nerve when I bring up a law you probably have broken, eh?

This topic is rediculous. If you can't finish your bucket for whatever reason, just give the leftoevers to someone else on the range.

Wouldn't you feel like a complete jackass pouring the bucket into your bag, or walking to your car with a bucket? I can say that if I saw someone doing either, I'd be thinking and probably saying aloud, "What a do*che!"

I can't imagine how some of the folks here feel about hitting balls you find on the course, on the range. I've been known to hit found balls on the range, I figure they'll end up sorting those balls out and selling them anyway. Geez, I'll probably get flamed for doing that.

*sigh* off to the range to hit some RANGE balls and dammit, i'm gonna hit ALL of them....today.

[quote name='larrybud' date='15 March 2010 - 01:37 PM' timestamp='1268674631' post='2317253']
[quote name='TM_HOYER' date='14 March 2010 - 06:25 PM' timestamp='1268605542' post='2315625']
[/quote]

As I said previously, any excuse to justify their actions. When we debunk their excuse, they will come up with another.
[/quote]
It's not justification, it's an example of moral equivalency brought up to show how ridiculous some of you are at the "outrage" you're expressing. Touches a nerve when I bring up a law you probably have broken, eh?
[/quote]

No. More like I got tired of arguing the point with you.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Write the license plate number down, give it to the driving range owner,
let them decide what to do. Once a few of them end up in court, and are
made examples of, the problem will cease. Let them justify themselves
to a judge. I can hear their stupid excuses already, LOL's

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Another circular thread in which we argue the same points over and over again.

I can't believe some of you guys really have golf balls left over. Unless it's your first time at a particular range, you pretty much know how many golf balls they're going to give you and how long it takes for you to hit them.

Are you really caught by surprise that often and have like 40 or 50 balls left over? That's 3/4 of a bucket for me. That's some serious misjudging.

Yeah, I've received the phone call when I was at the range that forced me to leave, but that's the exception, not the rule. That day, my situation forced me to get the raw end of the deal. Oh well. But like I said, I paid it forward and gave the balls to someone. A week or so later, I was the recipient of some extra balls. What goes around, comes around.

[quote name='puttingmatt' date='15 March 2010 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1268676081' post='2317320']
Write the license plate number down, give it to the driving range owner,
let them decide what to do. Once a few of them end up in court, and are
made examples of, the problem will cease. Let them justify themselves
to a judge. I can hear their stupid excuses already, LOL's
[/quote]

If there were such a thing as Tiny Claims Court, I know exactly what excuse I would use:

"It wasn't me. That guy is lying."

Case closed.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

I've never taken balls from a range, and I can't believe anyone would be so disrespectful. It's stealing.

However, it is hard for me to feel sorry for range owners. This is just something that should be expected, as there are jerks and thieves everywhere, it is a cost of doing business. Also, how many balls get ADDED to the range from guys like me who take their shag balls to the range and hit them?

So all you guys saying it is wrong to take range balls are saying you don't take the furniture and appliances home with you when you stay in a hotel room? Doesn't everyone do that?

Not trying to be a "tough guy" but if I saw someone literally dump range balls into their bag and attempt to leave I'd give them the option of emptying them out themselves or having me do it for them.

I really do hate people. About 90% of the general public if I had to guess. Certain members of society should be able to police this country due to the inadequacy of police not having a presence at all places at all times. Where do people get this false sense of self-entitlement? Did I not get mine? Perhaps it is how you are brought up? All I know is that if my father or grandfather (84 by the way) saw me do that they would not ask one question -- they would in all seriousness punch me in the face for being an a**hole -- and if I did that I'd have it coming.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

Here is a "stealing" question for you:

If a driving range borders a golf hole, and golfers loose balls into the range, and if your bucket contains, let's say, a new Pro V 1 in additon to a hundred yellow balls marked "practice", do you take the Pro V 1 home?

(I presume that the golfer who abandoned it thereby gave some sort of title to the range-owner. Not sure about that though.)

[quote name='Speedly' date='15 March 2010 - 04:59 AM' timestamp='1268650781' post='2316640']
TM:

[quote]The only way to show intent is to leave something of value (like a credit card number) so if you do not return them, the owner can receive value of what was not returned (and that is not being done).[/quote]
To be honest, I skimmed your post, something I do realize is hypocritical of me. You and I clearly don't see eye-to-eye on this, and likely wouldn't on anything else.

But the quoted line caught my eye - and I think that would be an excellent way to go about covering for the contingency of someone who keeps the balls as their own. If it were at a club, you could simply lump in an amount sufficient for coverage into the membership fees. They'd have their membership, and you'd have your insurance, of sorts.

pastatime:

[quote]Iam just marking these people who have NO ethics or morals at all and will kept an eye out on the bst for these thiefs cause that is what they are.[/quote]
Hah. Ok. You do that. Before you put my name on the list, make sure you read -the entirety- of my posts, Mr. Self-Righteous.

[quote]The Wikipedia def[/quote]
Hold it. Stop. Your source pretty much invalidates your argument, whether or not it's correct. Wikipedia is user-edited, which is why for the last few months, Gloria Allred's page has claimed she's a succubus (which I'm not sure whether or not has been fixed yet), and the hosts' page of a local radio show has claimed one of them killed a man and that the other has had a partial lobotomy. At any rate, go away.

larrybud:

[quote]I also go 10 mph over the speed limit on the freeway. I wonder how many of the perfect people here do that, and do you make sure you tell the cops about it? Gimme a break![/quote]
Regrettably, I do have to agree with those on the other side of the argument on this one. Think about my point that bringing the balls with you for later use, and that there aren't any specific signs saying you can't. The speed limit signs do clearly lay out what's within the law and what isn't - there's basically no wiggle room on that one. =/

dlygrisse:

[quote]If I owned a range, and caught you leaving the property with my range balls, I would call the police and press charges.[/quote]
And that would be completely within your rights, because you can't exactly get inside someone's head and tell whether they're honestly planning on bringing them back or not. But just because it's perceived that they're trying to steal them and keep them doesn't necessarily mean that it's always true. But doing so definitely opens the door wide open to being accused of stealing, and certainly isn't worth the risk.

As for the other contents of your post, keep in mind that those of us arguing right now share a common thread - we don't and wouldn't engage in the practice. None of us are thieves.
[/quote]

Wow. If I find myself with some exceptionally tough rationalizing to do and am not feeling up to the task...I'll definitely get ahold of you. You are truly a master.

Look, taking range balls home with you is no great crime against humanity, and to suggest getting cops and courts involved is assinine, IMHO.

But don't even try to defend it ethically. How is it any different from taking home half the flagsticks, or say...your cart, after a round (I could easily drive one home from my home course, LOL)? I suppose that's ok too, as long as you intend to bring it back?

However, most obvious to me is this: don't you just feel like a dirty little a-hole when people see you dumping your bucket into your bag, or walking to your car with a bucket in hand? I know I would think you were if I saw you.

And how much are you saving, exactly, by taking home your extras? A buck or two? If you can't stomach a loss such as that, perhaps golf is not the ideal hobby for you. Or do you drive to church in a Lexus, then takes change for your nickel from the collection basket (not that you ever need to worry about me seeing you in church, lol)?

Sheesh! If you have extras, just give them to someone else on the range. Cheap basterds.

[quote name='Sawgrass' date='15 March 2010 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1268680505' post='2317483']
Here is a "stealing" question for you:

If a driving range borders a golf hole, and golfers loose balls into the range, and if your bucket contains, let's say, a new Pro V 1 in additon to a hundred yellow balls marked "practice", do you take the Pro V 1 home?

(I presume that the golfer who abandoned it thereby gave some sort of title to the range-owner. Not sure about that though.)
[/quote]

Same as finding a ProV1 on the course IMO. The only person who can claim ownership of that ball is long gone. It's certainly no more the property of the range than a ball on a course is property of the course.

EDIT: Despite my opinion on this, I always end up hitting it anyway to see the discrepancy between the range balls and a "real" one. Invariably its a bad shot and tells me nothing.

[color=#1C2837]
[color=#1C2837]I can not believe people are still sticking up for doing this.[/color]
[color=#1C2837][font=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif]
[/color]So all you guys saying it is wrong to take range balls are saying you don't take the furniture and appliances home with you when you stay in a hotel room? Doesn't everyone do that?

Not trying to be a "tough guy" but if I saw someone literally dump range balls into their bag and attempt to leave I'd give them the option of emptying them out themselves or having me do it for them.

I really do hate people. About 90% of the general public if I had to guess. Certain members of society should be able to police this country due to the inadequacy of police not having a presence at all places at all times. Where do people get this false sense of self-entitlement? Did I not get mine? Perhaps it is how you are brought up? All I know is that if my father or grandfather (84 by the way) saw me do that they would not ask one question -- they would in all seriousness punch me in the face for being an a**hole -- and if I did that I'd have it coming. [/font][/color]

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

Perhaps you're right sigmapete1, but it seems to me that the ball must belong to someone. If the range guy picked up the abandoned ball, and "rented" it to me in my bucket, doesn't he have the same "claim of ownership" that I might assume if I found a ball abandoned in the woods? And shouldn't I then respect his right to that Pro V 1?

(For the record, I'm just curious about pursuing this line of thought -- I'm not accusing anyone of anything. Technically though, it's my guess that the ball is the property of the range since they "found" it first.)

[quote name='MS22' date='15 March 2010 - 02:53 PM' timestamp='1268682829' post='2317570']
[color="#1c2837"]
[color="#1c2837"]I can not believe people are still sticking up for doing this.[/color]
[color="#1c2837"][font="verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif"]
[/color]So all you guys saying it is wrong to take range balls are saying you don't take the furniture and appliances home with you when you stay in a hotel room? Doesn't everyone do that?

Not trying to be a "tough guy" but if I saw someone literally dump range balls into their bag and attempt to leave I'd give them the option of emptying them out themselves or [b]having me do it for them[/b].

I really do hate people. About 90% of the general public if I had to guess. Certain members of society should be able to police this country due to the inadequacy of police not having a presence at all places at all times. Where do people get this false sense of self-entitlement? Did I not get mine? Perhaps it is how you are brought up? All I know is that if my father or grandfather (84 by the way) saw me do that they would not ask one question -- they would in all seriousness punch me in the face for being an a**hole -- and if I did that I'd have it coming. [/font][/color]
[/quote]

No, you wouldn't.

And if you tried, I'd call the police. Then you'd be in jail while I'm driving home with a half bucket of balls in my trunk. Poetic justice if I ever heard of it.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

I think if you mention it to the guys in the shop, they would give the OK to save some of your balls until after your round.

What about this: At my local range, there's a large pool of casual water at the edge of the teeing area. The last couple of times I've been there, before hitting, I fished a half-dozen or so balls out of the pool -- plus picked up a couple of candy wrappers. I feel like I'm doing the range a favor by getting the balls back into rotation, not to mention picking up litter. Anyone think I'm going "out of bounds" by leaving the teeing area and getting a few free balls?

[quote name='bermuda' date='15 March 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1268683571' post='2317598']
At my local range, there's a large pool of casual water at the edge of the teeing area. The last couple of times I've been there, before hitting, I fished a half-dozen or so balls out of the pool -- plus picked up a couple of candy wrappers. I feel like I'm doing the range a favor by getting the balls back into rotation, not to mention picking up litter. Anyone think I'm going "out of bounds" by leaving the teeing area and getting a few free balls?
[/quote]

I love it.

I'm going to have to check my moral compass and see whether you're a hero or a villain! My initial reading suggests that the candy wrapper thing threw you on the good side.

some get it.... some don't

note to self

beware of all those supposed do gooders who post about how rules righteous they are..... yet some can't seem to differentiate right from wrong in society

get real people...... now its like driving 10 over....LMAO... how some will incriminate themselves and prove beyond doubt how moral bankrupt we all are!!!

Gotta love the working man

When you go to a driving range and purchase a bucket of balls you do NOT become the owner of
those balls. You are essentially buying the right to hit them at that facility only. If you put left over
balls that you don't hit into your golf bag and leave the property, that can be considered theft and
you could be prosecuted by the owner. It doesn't matter if you intend to come back and hit them
another day. If for some reason you become injured or have to leave for an emergency, ball credit
can be given for your next visit.

At one of the main driving ranges where I live, there was a major problem with guys taking unused
balls home with them. The owner posted a sign stating this activity was against their policy and he
started banning people who continued to take the balls off the property. It sure did work, mainly
because he got rid of the worst offenders. I guess some people just feel if they're going to spend
a whole ten bucks, they must own the place . :rolleyes::lol:

MS... you presented a mighty common scenario.   Stealing a slew of hotel items while staying at a hotel/motel. :lol: I know many do.  What I don't know is how many "golfers" steal range balls.  I've seen threads and personally seen a few people actually use range balls when playing golf.  There are way to many dirt balls walking.  You're grandfather and mine would react the same. :D

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

gotta love it..... it now is taking two threads to help somebody feel just for stealing.

I think many that do get it are just wasting time trying to help those that don't get it - get it.

The same people who think its ok to walk with range balls till it fits their schedule to finish hitting all the balls they rented, are the same people who feel its ok to talk on cell phones in restaurant's, in movie theaters. Entitlement is rich

[quote name='OneBowTie' date='15 March 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1268687389' post='2317749']
gotta love it..... it now is taking two threads to help somebody feel just for stealing.

I think many that do get it are just wasting time trying to help those that don't get it - get it.

The same people who think its ok to walk with range balls till it fits their schedule to finish hitting all the balls they rented, are the same people who feel its ok to talk on cell phones in restaurant's, in movie theaters. Entitlement is rich
[/quote]

Hold on, I'm almost off this call...

(cool)

I do agree with everyone that says you can't take the balls home.

But I do think that I should be able to use the balls as[b] my[/b] schedule dictates.[b]
[/b]
That is why I am surprised that ranges that don't have ball cards that retain the value of unused balls don't credit the customer for unused balls.

I might go to the range and expect to hit 120 balls. But sometimes I hit like 30 or 40 and if I am good, I don't want to hit anymore. I want to run
out of there with my good swing intact!

big difference between what our intentions are and what people are assuming of you.

i take the balls home, bring them back on another day but i ONLY do this if i have to leave earlier for any particular reason or i end up going to the range late and they close and i have a significant amount of balls left. i am not taking them home and keeping them nor am i going to use them on the course or anything like that -- that is considered stealing. i am taking them home and coming back with them tomorrow so i can finish what i paid for.

Hold on, I'm almost off this call...

(cool)

I do agree with everyone that says you can't take the balls home.

But I do think that I should be able to use the balls as my schedule dictates.

That is why I am surprised that ranges that don't have ball cards that retain the value of unused balls don't credit the customer for unused balls.

I might go to the range and expect to hit 120 balls. But sometimes I hit like 30 or 40 and if I am good, I don't want to hit anymore. I want to run

out of there with my good swing intact!

Like I said..... some get it some don't

I supposed that if you got to a sit down resturant and order and pay for A MEAL.... and you don't finish it. You might come back next week and sit down, tell the waitress/waiter that they owe you the rest of your meal???? I mean, heck it is your schedulegood.gif.

Right on..... entitlement is rich......

I don't know about you.... but just about any and all driving ranges I have ever gone to and hit balls..... they didn't look like they were going to have a walmart return policy for all you on YOUR SCHEDULES.... I can see it now for the future, a separate return line to count unused range balls for your credit......can't wait for a bucket of balls to cost $50 bucks to compensate for all of those entitled.

[quote name='skizix' date='15 March 2010 - 12:27 PM' timestamp='1268681223' post='2317508']stuff after not bothering to read the entire thread[/quote]

Considering I already made a post where I reiterated this three times in caps with arrows pointing at it, I'm just going to call you an idiot and say it again.

I don't engage in the practice being discussed, and would never do so. I'm simply saying that the people who did aren't the scum of society.

[quote name='Speedly' date='15 March 2010 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1268689227' post='2317819']
[quote name='skizix' date='15 March 2010 - 12:27 PM' timestamp='1268681223' post='2317508']stuff after not bothering to read the entire thread[/quote]

Considering I already made a post where I reiterated this three times in caps with arrows pointing at it, I'm just going to call you an idiot and say it again.

I don't engage in the practice being discussed, and would never do so. [color="#FF0000"]I'm simply saying that the people who did aren't the scum of society.[/color]
[/quote]

Ya I don't know that I would label them scum..... but if such people were at my house, I would appreciate if they were to walk through my shop or garage that they please keep a continuous clap going with their hands!