Taking Unused Balls Home from Driving Range (MERGED)

I have never seen or even thought of this before.

More often than not I'll buy a bucket at my home course and hit half before teeing off. What do I do with the other half? Leave them there, offer them to someone else, whatever -- I'd never take them "for later". I'd hate to even look that shady.

Even when I find balls on the course I consider to be shag balls I throw them in my bag and when I get ~25 or so in my trunk I'll go hit them into the range rather than buying a bucket before my round.

Occasionally I do happen to find a pulled ball (from the adjacent fairway over the trees into the range) that gets mixed in and bag that but I think everyone that finds a "One Hit Wonder" ProV/Vx/Touri/etc mixed in their bucket grabs it -- I've snap hooked a few in the range over the years and think of it as a reciporicating.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

taking unhit balls home is the most cheapskate thing I've ever heard of

if you don't want to finish your bucket, you leave them for someone else

do you take home the uneaten bread from the basket they bring to your table at a restaurant? I mean, if you don't take the uneaten bread home, they'll have to throw it away anyways right? just shove that stuff in your wifes purse

How bout people stealing the rubber tees from the mats? I went to a new range and there were no tees on any mats. I went in and asked for a tee and they wanted a 3 dollar deposit. They actually hand out tees with your bucket, what a joke. It is a city run course and the G.M> said he was losing money buying tees every month.

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!! They are not your balls, period. You have NO right to remove them from the range. This is the mentality that makes business owners crazy. Do you go to an all you can eat buffet, eat your fill, and then fill a large cooler with food to take home? After all it's all you can eat, right? Well you'll be able to eat more later, so you might as well take home a weeks worth of food. That seems fair. GROW UP ppl.

sorry for the caps, but I [i]AM yelling![/i]

[quote name='B Keller' date='11 March 2010 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1268362684' post='2310555']
If I am at a range then I leave anything I don't want to hit.

[color="#FF0000"]But if I am at a course and either don't have time or am warm before they are gone, I will put them in my cart and work on any problems that arise during my round [/color]with the extras after I putt out on 18. There have been many times that I have, say, a 1:30 tee time and show up at the starter to check in/get balls that I have already paid for just to be told, "Here are your range balls, but you are being moved to 1:10 so be back in 5 minutes."

I'm not surrendering those ball/that money.
[/quote]

I'm surprised nobody else has said anything about this.

So you work on your game during your round with range balls..... so like you decide, ah, I need to hit a practice shot here.....no, wait let me use one of these range balls and see if I can clear the Lake/Pond in two

So you are the reason we find range balls all over the course.

[quote name='hogan64' date='12 March 2010 - 11:13 AM' timestamp='1268410436' post='2311388']
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!! They are not your balls, period. You have NO right to remove them from the range. This is the mentality that makes business owners crazy. Do you go to an all you can eat buffet, eat your fill, and then fill a large cooler with food to take home? After all it's all you can eat, right? Well you'll be able to eat more later, so you might as well take home a weeks worth of food. That seems fair. GROW UP ppl.

sorry for the caps, but I [i]AM yelling![/i]

[/quote]

EXACTLY......

its amazing that anybody would have to explain this to someone.......

entitlement has now found its way all the way to range balls....geez....I paid my fee....so I'm going to keep and use every last one of these things.....

[quote name='OneBowTie' date='12 March 2010 - 11:28 AM' timestamp='1268411316' post='2311430']
[quote name='B Keller' date='11 March 2010 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1268362684' post='2310555']

[color="#ff0000"]But if I am at a course and either don't have time or am warm before they are gone, I will put them in my cart and work on any problems that arise during my round [/color]with the extras after I putt out on 18. There have been many times that I have, say, a 1:30 tee time and show up at the starter to check in/get balls that I have already paid for just to be told, "Here are your range balls, but you are being moved to 1:10 so be back in 5 minutes."

[/quote]

So you work on your game during your round with range balls..... so like you decide, ah, I need to hit a practice shot here.....no, wait let me use one of these range balls and see if I can clear the Lake/Pond in two

[/quote]

You missed the words after he putts out on the 18th, he will do back to the range and work to fix the bad shots he hit during the round. Not that he will use them during the round.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Actually what I am reading here is the same entitlement and reasoning people use to copy software they bought on their friends computers and give music and movie files they have to friends (and vise versa). They forget the they are not buying the product. They are buying the right to use or view the product for their own use. With range balls, you are not buying the range balls, you are buying the opportunity to use those balls at that facility up to the point you leave the facility. And you do not have the right to remove the balls from that facility.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' date='12 March 2010 - 11:36 AM' timestamp='1268411774' post='2311454']
[quote name='OneBowTie' date='12 March 2010 - 11:28 AM' timestamp='1268411316' post='2311430']

[color="#ff0000"]But if I am at a course and either don't have time or am warm before they are gone, I will put them in my cart and work on any problems that arise during my round [/color]with the extras after I putt out on 18. There have been many times that I have, say, a 1:30 tee time and show up at the starter to check in/get balls that I have already paid for just to be told, "Here are your range balls, but you are being moved to 1:10 so be back in 5 minutes."

[/quote]

[/quote]

You missed the words after he putts out on the 18th, he will do back to the range and work to fix the bad shots he hit during the round. Not that he will use them during the round.
[/quote]

ah, perhaps I read it wrong..... I read it as any extra's left after his round he takes back to the range....

either way..... I think most people know that the intent for range balls are to be hit at the range and not taken off the range to be used later.

and people wonder why the price of range fee's are rising..... I think we all know why now...because do all of you honestly believe all the balls that leave the range find their way back......

I can't dispute the fact that it's technically stealing.

But I do it all the time, and I don't really feel bad about it. I bring the balls and the bucket back, I'm a regular at my range.

Sometimes, especially if I had a serious workout the day before, I just don't have it that day and I would rather stop hitting balls than ingrain bad habits. I'm not going to leave a large bucket after I've only hit 20 balls. I'm going to save them and bring them back the day after, when I'm not so sore.

Call me what you want, but my conscience is clear.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

It is good to see the number of members to Golfwrx that get it and understand the ethics of the fact you do not leave a range with their golf balls because that is stealing.

To those that just do not get it. When someone drives off with your car, is stopped by the cops, and stays "I was just driving around with the car and I intended to take it back from where I drove it from", I want you to tell the cops you do not want to bring charges because they did not really steal your car since they intended to bring it back. A bucket of ball or a car does not make a difference, intent does not make a difference, stealing is stealing.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I'm just wondering if it's okay to go to a restaurant and dump all the salt I don't use from the salt shaker that's on my table into my pocket.

It doesn't seem like stealing since I could use all that I want on premises, but I've checked on the USGA's website and I couldn't find a confirming decision.

If I'm wrong, sorry.gif .

To me this is a business plan issue. Buying "buckets" of balls is a flawed concept from the start. This gives the golfer the idea that they've purchased the balls, to use as they see fit (presumably within the confines of the practice area). That's what leads to all the aforementioned shenanigans. This issue goes away when the range provides balls already, and you are allowed access to them by paying a fee, or it's included in your green fee. Then you don't feel like you're not getting your money's worth in balls if you don't hit 70+ shots.

I say, set the balls out there in pyramids or little shag bags, and charge people a flat access fee to the range. People will always steal balls, but you won't have the issue of people taking buckets and then bringing them back (or not).

[quote name='apprenti23' date='12 March 2010 - 11:44 AM' timestamp='1268412249' post='2311476']
someone already beat me to the analogy of going to a lunch buffet. you don't take home what you couldn't eat. same thing at the practice range. you're the one who bought too many balls. [b]if you take any home you are stealing. there are no if's, and's, or but's about that.[/b]:busted2:
[/quote]

The buffet analogy doesn't work for this situation because for a buffet you are paying for as much as you want, not a contained amount. The buffet example would only work if the range charges a fee for unlimited balls, not for one bucket somebody purchases...

someone already beat me to the analogy of going to a lunch buffet. you don't take home what you couldn't eat. same thing at the practice range. you're the one who bought too many balls. if you take any home you are stealing. there are no if's, and's, or but's about that.busted2.gif

The buffet analogy doesn't work for this situation because for a buffet you are paying for as much as you want, not a contained amount. The buffet example would only work if the range charges a fee for unlimited balls, not for one bucket somebody purchases...

It does works because at the buffet, you are paying for as much as you eat while at the buffet. It does not include all you can eat after leaving the buffet or all you can eat when returning to the buffet and not paying again.

Also you do not purchase the bucket of range balls. You purchase the ability to use the bucket of range balls while at the range.

Callaway Chrome Soft

someone already beat me to the analogy of going to a lunch buffet. you don't take home what you couldn't eat. same thing at the practice range. you're the one who bought too many balls. if you take any home you are stealing. there are no if's, and's, or but's about that.busted2.gif

It does works because at the buffet, you are paying for as much as you eat while at the buffet. It does not include all you can eat after leaving the buffet or all you can eat when returning to the buffet and not paying again.

Also you do not purchase the bucket of range balls. You purchase the ability to use the bucket of range balls while at the range.

A buffet is different, you are paying a fee to eat as much as you want in one sitting. It is assumed that you pay for a buffet and can eat as much as you want as long as you do not leave, while at the range it is assumed you may use the one bucket you purchase. You are not paying the range to hit as many balls as you want in one sitting, you paid to to hit the bucket of balls you paid for.

I agree with whoever said the range should be a fee for use, not one time bucket purchase. Range's these days rip off the customer, I would bet if we could see the numbers, the margins would be huge.

A buffet is different, you are paying a fee to eat as much as you want in one sitting. It is assumed that you pay for a buffet and can eat as much as you want as long as you do not leave, while at the range it is assumed you may use the one bucket you purchase. You are not paying the range to hit as many balls as you want in one sitting, you paid to to hit the bucket of balls you paid for.

I agree with whoever said the range should be a fee for use, not one time bucket purchase. Range's these days rip off the customer, I would bet if we could see the numbers, the margins would be huge.

You are paying to hit up to as many balls as are in the bucket at that one visit. You are not paying to hit up to as many balls as are in the bucket over multiple visits. Also you are not purchasing a bucket. You are paying for the opportunity to hit up to as many balls are in the bucket in the space provided by the driving range in that one visit. So the buffet is not different.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I bet if the margins were huge, there'd be more ranges.

And that if they were huge enough, I'd be presiding over one.

And if I were, I'd resent people telling me how I ought to be pricing my service, and wish they'd just hit the damn balls they "rented", and leave any remaining ones when they were done.

Restaurant analogies aside (one of which I admit to being responsible for) it really doesn't have to be that complicated.

And I have to say that I suspect that many/most range operators are hard working people with seasonal problems to deal with and a lot of real estate overhead to contend with. I don't mind paying them for the opportunity to use their service.

good grief..... If you have to keep trying to explain right from wrong and some don't get it.... they never will.

anybody that thinks they are buying the bucket of balls to hold and keep as their own at a driving range..... well I don't want them at any range I would happen to own or be a part of.

some people simply think that "playing" ignorant is a viable excuse..... or they think if every single think isn't spelled out in black and white to them, then they aren't doing anything wrong..... but chances are..... those same people are the very first to complain when somebody TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THEM.....

when you take range balls, buckets, bags, home with you, even if your intention is to return them later ( AT YOUR CONVENIENCE ) you are the problem with society and its attitudes.... lack of common sense in this world is startling

How about if we declare one day as "Take a half hit large bucket of balls home with you so you can finish it another day" day. Then maybe these guys will see the impact it has when they go to the range and there are no balls or buckets or the range is closed because they have no balls to hit. They think only of themselves and not to the fact the 50 other people that are doing the same thing does impact the range, their costs, and how much the range has to charge.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Wow, I'm still kind of amazed by this one and I'm a bit of a cheapskate. My question is, what kind of money are these ranges charging that you feel entitled to take a few home (WITH A BUCKET?!?!) for next time? Even the most expensive ranges I frequent charge only about $10-15 for a large bucket. And why even buy a "jumbo" bucket unless you, your girl and your little brother are all hitting?

Golf in an expensive habit and you need to think that over the years (20+ for me, and I'm only 30), what difference does $200 worth of unhit range balls really make? As a frequent recipient (back in the day) of charitable donations of extra rocks, I can say that you're probably making some poor kid's day and costing yourself maybe $5 by leaving them there.

Plus there's that whole "breaking the law" thing..........................

TM R15
TM Burner 3W (old.....)
TM RBZ 19 degree
WS Fybrid 4 hybrid
Ping Karsten 5-UW
Ping iWedge 54+58
Scotty Squareback 2

Do I need a 4-iron?

I don't buy the economy bulk size unless I'm sharing it with another person. It's simple economies of scale and the larger buckets are cheaper for that reason, not so that you can divide it among multiple trips.

For those of you that think taking balls home is an acceptable practice, why have the balls to let the owner know of your intentions? Walk in and say "I didn't quite finish, so I'm going to keep these balls until I come back next time." You'll be able to gauge whether they think it's an acceptable practice quite quickly.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Holy hell. I take a nap for a few hours, and everyone's all up in arms.

Calm down.

If you read my post, it (AGAIN) clearly states that I'm not for ranges instituting the practice, and that a person doing so is a person acting on a bad idea. So there's no confusion, let me spell it out for you.

READ THIS READ THIS READ THIS READ THIS
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I DO NOT ENGAGE IN THE PRACTICE BEING DISCUSSED, AND DO NOT THINK A RANGE HAVING SUCH A POLICY IS A GOOD IDEA, NOR DO I EVER EXPECT A RANGE TO HAVE SUCH A POLICY. HOWEVER, THE OTHERS IN THE THREAD WHO HAVE ADMITTED TO DOING IT ARE NOT BAD PEOPLE, AND HAVE NOT STOLEN FROM THE RANGE.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
READ THIS READ THIS READ THIS READ THIS

"Stealing" means you take ownership of something without the intent of returning it. Those people have not STOLEN anything. What they did was borrow something without asking. Now, this is a very bad idea, as it's rude, and opens up a huge door to being accused of stealing. IT IS A BAD IDEA. But it is not stealing.

Someone made the analogy of taking my car without my permission. The analogy doesn't work, because the person did not come to me and pay me for use of the car. The robber took the car, intending to own it permanently (in relation to the owner). It's not the same thing.

[quote name='Speedly' date='12 March 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1268429138' post='2312064']

[color=#1C2837]"Stealing" means you take ownership of something without the intent of returning it. Those people have not STOLEN anything. What they did was borrow something without asking. Now, this is a very bad idea, as it's rude, and opens up a huge door to being accused of stealing. IT IS A BAD IDEA. But it is not stealing.[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]
[/color]Someone made the analogy of taking my car without my permission. The analogy doesn't work, because the person did not come to me and pay me for use of the car. The robber took the car, intending to own it permanently (in relation to the owner). It's not the same thing.
[/quote]

As my post said, the person that took the car said he took it and intended to return it back to where it was. So some people took the balls and intended to return to later. So I guess guess that means neither of them is stealing.

Callaway Chrome Soft