2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

guys who play in Arizona or Florida etc...

stupid wildlife question
It's probably just because i play in the northeast and don't have anything to worry about other than foxes or deer....

But how often do you guys that play in states like Arizona or Florida come across Gators or Rattlesnakes during your rounds? I figure i'd probably freak the hell out. Does this happen a lot? Anyone have any good stories?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some sort of critter (1/2 monkey 1/2 racoon) stole my chips and pop from my cart yesterday and drank the can like a human. it was awesome. This was in cancun. I forget what that thing was called but it was one ugly looking mofo.

I played at the Biltmore in Florida last year and ran into the worlds largest iguana. It was massive and orange and so fricken ugly. Looks like it just killed another one as it's claws and eye was bloody.

At another course in Florida (Naples, I think it was la playa) I went hunting for my ball in the woods when I saw a snake and s*** my pants...... Never ever looked for another ball in the woods since then!

Ping 10k 

PIng 435 3 Wood

Ping 435 17 and 22 Hybrids

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW (3 and 4 on Bench)

Cleveland RTX 6.0 52 56 60

Bettinardi Queen B 6

Never really thought about living in FL and near a swamp most of my life. I see foxes from time to time, deer regularly in the morning on a few courses... there was two 12' gators on Saturday, but they don't bother you if you don't bother them. Just to be safe, I'll look in the water before grabbing a ball or hitting one near water, gators hate you sneaking up on them...and I hate them sneaking up on me.

Not a golfing, but fishing story. Just graduated college with $10, no job and one bobber. So I went and bought a six-pack of beer and decided to go fishing in the lake behind my parents house. Cast my line out and this small gator makes a bee-line towards my bobber, not wanting to also loose my last bobber I start reeling my line in as fast as possible. Well the gator stops going after the bobber and starts coming towards me.

So this 4-5' gator comes up onto the bank about a foot, maybe two away from my beer, which was also sitting on the bank. Taking my fishing pole, I whip him in the head, after standing there for a sec the gator turns around and gets back into the water. I promptly grab my sixer and finish them on the back porch.

I grew up in South Florida, outside Ft Lauderdale, and saw alligators on a pretty regular basis. You kind of get used to it, as a previous poster said they tend to keep to themselves and don't go anywhere near people. When I lived in Orlando I played Disney a lot and one sees gators and deer and all kinds of wildlife fairly frequently. I moved to Arizona last year and I haven't seen a snake on a course yet and I'm ok with that!

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

You just have to be careful. If you hit your ball near or in the water in FL you'd best check before you go hit that thing. Look for air bubbles if the water isn't clear. If you hit it in, you're best to leave it, $3.00 ball or your hand. It is not uncommon to see a few gators and some box turtles sunning themselves on a bank early in the morning.

In AZ you'd best take the butt end of your club and knock a bush before you reach your hand in, but in the case of rattlesnakes, they will likely make themselves known before you get a chance to stick your hand in a bush.

Florida isn't to bad, plenty of Gators to be seen, but they just chill on the banks, never do anything unless you did something stupid.

Arizona I get more worried about just because the rattlesnakes are harder to see, and some courses it's just really easy to see sooo many balls in easy to get spots in the desert. I usually just ask people who work there if there are rattlesnakes around, some courses say theyve never seen one or had a report of one, some say they are everywhere. But if you dont want to run into any, just stay on the course, easy enough.

Although on one course I had just hit a brand new Prov1 into some desert and I heard a noise in the bush behind me and one of my dads friends threw a fake snake down.. Screamed like a little girl and sprinted as fast as I ever had.:beach:

If I hit a ball in the desert thats where it stays, 5 dollar golf ball or 5k+ in medical bills. Learned my lesson the hard way.......twice. First time was in high school. We had to walk the course and we would constantly cut thru the desert to get to the next hole. Well there were four of us jumping off the road embankment to the desert and then onto the cart path. Well the first kid thru woke up the snake. Second kid pissed it off. Third kid was me. It struck at me and hit the back of my bag. I freaked the hell out dropped me bag and we proceeded kill the snake, Humane anything but! But no one in the group was going to grab the already pissed off venemous snake that was latched to my bag. Still get chills thinking about that story. Second time we were playing at the same course and my buddy was near the desert but not in it. Close enough to piss off what we thought was a rattlesnake. It got him in the leg. Luckily the snake took off into the fairway where his playing partner ran over the snake, again its nice to know what comes out of the wood work to bite you in the a**. When we looked it was nothing but a gopher snake. They, when pissed off, mimic rattlesnake traits. The puff their face out, hiss like the dickens and shake their tail. Thank god it wasnt a real one or it would of put a quick end to our round

I live in MN and we don't have anything like that. I was playing in Palm Springs 4-5 years ago and the pro shop guy says stay in play. He proceeds to tell me that the thorn bushes will cut up your legs if you venture too far off the rough. Then after hearing this he goes on to tell me about the rattlesnakes in the bushes. If he would've just mentioned the snakes first he wouldn't have had to tell me about the bushes. I hate snakes, big or small, poisonous or not, it doesn't matter.
When I played in FL a couple years ago I played Championsgate and only saw one little gator swimming. That was the closest I have come to a gator on the course.
We only get snapping turtles on some courses by me. Man are those things prehistoric looking. The snow can't melt fast enough up here. I need to get out and play some golf.

Growing up in Michigan, I used to collect snakes on the golf course as a kid, would come home with my large pocket of the bag filled with blue racers. Mom hated it.

Now since I moved down south, I've got to worry about the poisonous kind. My first round down here.... I hit a drive into some tall grass and went in without thinking. A 4 ft long brown spotted snake (maybe poisonous, maybe not) scurried straight between my legs. After that, I decided that if I couldn't see the ground, I wasn't going after the ball. We do have gators down here, but rarely on the courses.

[quote name='Zooko23' timestamp='1298363730' post='2999693']
If I hit a ball in the desert thats where it stays, 5 dollar golf ball or 5k+ in medical bills. Learned my lesson the hard way.......twice. First time was in high school. We had to walk the course and we would constantly cut thru the desert to get to the next hole. Well there were four of us jumping off the road embankment to the desert and then onto the cart path. Well the first kid thru woke up the snake. Second kid pissed it off. Third kid was me. It struck at me and hit the back of my bag. I freaked the hell out dropped me bag and we proceeded kill the snake, Humane anything but! But no one in the group was going to grab the already pissed off venemous snake that was latched to my bag. Still get chills thinking about that story. Second time we were playing at the same course and my buddy was near the desert but not in it. Close enough to piss off what we thought was a rattlesnake. It got him in the leg. Luckily the snake took off into the fairway where his playing partner ran over the snake, again its nice to know what comes out of the wood work to bite you in the a**. When we looked it was nothing but a gopher snake. They, when pissed off, mimic rattlesnake traits. The puff their face out, hiss like the dickens and shake their tail. Thank god it wasnt a real one or it would of put a quick end to our round

[/quote]

man i would have freaked out like crazy. I'm a big guy and a former football player LOL....but snakes are a dealbreaker. I cannot stand snakes. If i saw a big rattler i would never play a desert course again haha

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Grew up in Ohio but have lived in Arizona for 30 years. I'm used to traipsing around in the desert. Caution is recommended. I've only seen rattlers three times, but they are out there. Just watch where you are walking and don't stick your hands into a bush to retrieve a ball.

My friends from Ohio always ask if I'm concerned about desert wildlife. Funny thing, my last visit to Ohio playing golf, I hit one into the woods, took one look at the poison ivy growing three feet tall and said "fuggetaboutit!" I'l take my chances in the desert any day.

Now Florida... visited and played golf a few times with my dad who lived down there. Same thing, I hit one into a thick mangrove jungle, and again, just did a drive by, some evill looking stuff in there and no way I was venturing into that sh*t!!!

I guess it's what you are used to.

I do remember the last time we saw a rattler. Earlier in the round we all were wandering into the desert looking for stray shots, but after we saw the snake, whenever anyone hit one out into the native, they would just sort of go to the edge of of the turf with a cursory glance and then a comment like, "yeah, that one's lost!" ha ha.

this got moved to Travel and Leisure! Awwwww....now that's a death blow to this thing. Does anyone even check this? I didn't know this subforum even [i]existed[/i]

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Play in North and South Carolina daily. At one specific course I play 3-5 times a week, I run into 2 gators every time it's warm enough for them to be out getting some sun. They both sit on the same hole where water runs down the length of a par 5. One's about a 12 footer and the other is about 6-7 feet. Have begun seeing them more already this year since it's been getting warmer. I don't get too close to them. I'll leave the gator wrestling to the Bayou folk.

Ping g430 LST 9* - HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 65g
Ping g430 LST 14.5* - Project X Smoke Black 70x
Ping g430 17* - Project X Smoke Black 6.5 or TM P70UDI 2 with same shaft
Ping i59 4-PW - DG AMT White X100
Callaway Jaws Raw Black 50*, 54*, 60*- DG TI S400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini w/ Stability Tour
Taylor Made TP5 PIX

Ya you will run into the occasional rattler/coyote/bobcat/javelina out here in az, general rule of thumb for me is dont go in the desert without a club in hand and only go in if the desert is open, not a bunch of shrubs/rocks etc.

post-56737-12691086405731_thumb.jpg

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Well I put it this way, one of the couses I played on in Florida was called Gator Lakes, need I explane why. In AZ, I was there for 4 months and only saw two snakes.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Ya you will run into the occasional rattler/coyote/bobcat/javelina out here in az, general rule of thumb for me is dont go in the desert without a club in hand and only go in if the desert is open, not a bunch of shrubs/rocks etc.

post-56737-12691086405731_thumb.jpg

holy friggin christ! i don't even like looking at that picture!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1298344858' post='2999311'] It's probably just because i play in the northeast and don't have anything to worry about other than foxes or deer.... But how often do you guys that play in states like Arizona or Florida come across Gators or Rattlesnakes during your rounds? I figure i'd probably freak the hell out. Does this happen a lot? Anyone have any good stories? [/quote] I play most of my golf in AZ, CA and TX. Rattlesnakes in all 3 states are somewhat common, but especially so in certain areas of AZ and So.CA. The problem is most people are not looking for them, so they don't see them, even when nearby. In AZ seen various snakes and Javelina, some cats. CA I've encountered mtn lions, bobcats, mtn goats, fox, even bears.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Hunters notice what's around them...its in our DNA. I can't tell you how many times I've told people playing with me "look there..." then they stare in amazement. Years back a friend oblivious to his surroundings was about to step out of the cart when I said "SNAKE". To keep from stepping on it, he almost gave himself a concussion by slamming his head into the roof of the cart. I died :cheesy: ... the snake was only 2' long baby.. not even a rattler.

There a few remote courses in NOCA where seeing wild boar and bear in nearby thickets is not uncommon. Whats funny is watching a golfer that doesn't know any better walk towards a boar in the nearby brush... mind you these are not big ugly boars with protruding threatening lower teeth; these are a bit bigger then your average pig (I use to go boar hunting). Suddenly the boar bolts towards the golfer as if to attack., but stops and turns abruptly.. the golfer darn near pee'd his pants running the other way. He surly slowed pace of play that day. :lol:

There's a beautiful course in Mammoth Lakes where it's common to see black bears and lots of Deer. One day we're meandering down a par 5. We were told to keep an eye out for bears. Seems a sow and her cubs hang out near some fallen' trees and pipe off to the left. In the group up front of us someone decided to walk over and take a closer look. Anyone with half a brain knows a sow and her cubs are not to be bothered. We're in her world, it's not the other way around. Well, she comes flying out of some trees right at him... course she stops, but with arms flailing in the air he's running the other way, hollering, not sure what. His playing partners, and my wife and I waiting, almost fell on the ground laughing.

Another day in SoCA we're were walking 18 when one guy, totally oblivious to his surroundings was walking into the rough towards a tree that had a red tail hawk nesting... suddenly the hawk decided to tell the guy you're getting too close by dive bombing him... scared the be-Jesus out him as he was waving his hands over his head running the other way.. that was entertaining moment for me. :lol:

Oh, another time as a walk on walker - I am with some golfers in carts. I barely hear someone mention a buzzing sound but I keep walking. He jumps from his cart heading towards a thicket of trees nearby in the rough. Apparently, he didn't know the buzzing was a nest of bee's in the tree's where his ball was... as he walked under that tree... suddenly he's running waving his arms, around his head, hollering.. while I am :cheesy: my a... off.. People from big cities can be really entertaining at times... :)

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Played in Arizona several times, I've seen a few rattlers at WeKoPa Golf Club, literally lying on the cart parth, pretty cool to see when you're from Canada, but definitely didn't get too close. While in Florida I've seen a ton of Gators, my only advice is, if you're faster than the slowest guy in your group you will be fine! Just keep your distance and don't get too brave.

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

[quote name='kgeorge78' timestamp='1298345616' post='2999345']
some sort of critter (1/2 monkey 1/2 racoon) stole my chips and pop from my cart yesterday and drank the can like a human. it was awesome. This was in cancun. I forget what that thing was called but it was one ugly looking mofo.

[/quote]

El Chupacabra!

• 3 weeks later...