Are DCI 962 any good?

tatertot

Never bought Titleist, long time Ping
At the range yesterday, I noticed how much better I like the look of my Vokey's at address than my Eye 2s. I've never really looked at Titleist irons before, but I found a set of 962 blueprinted for a reasonable price. Is this a good Titleist to start with?

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

3 Wood: Adams Fast 10, 15°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the better cast offerings from Titleist. Very good set of irons with a quirky sole grind that works well. Blueprinted may be an added bonus, but if they're not to your specs there's no real advantage. I'd rate them at least 8/10 - not quite a classic but enough club to grace the bags of a few pros back in the day. Certainly more appealing to the eye at address than the Pings perhaps, but a matter of taste on what works best for your game.

I have played both sets. The 962s are just ok and they are really old technology. Unless your getting them for free IMO the 962s are not worth the money.

• Driver - Titleist TSr1 MCA Speedwrap R 
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Titliest 818 23* Tensi Red R 
  • Iron - Srixon U85 23* @ 24* UST Recoil 95 f3
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW UST Recoil 95 f3 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 52* AWT
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

the 962's are old technology like others have said but i think that that set of irons along with the 975D driver are what turned titleist from a ball company that made clubs (crappy clubs if you ask me) to a company that made players clubs as well as balls. they are still a good iron, but if you can find them for the same price i reccomend the 990's. (i rocked the 990b's back in junior golf)

... I am going to have to respectfully disagree with those that call the 962's "old technology". Classic maybe, but not old or outdated. Full perimeter weighting, progressing from a higher cog in the short irons to a lower cog in the long irons is still the standard design for today's cb's. Yes, they have added materials for a better feel and many are forged adding another feel incentive. However, if you take away the weighting screw and the graphite insert, the new Taylor Made TP MC's would look similar to the 962's. So if the price is right, and if they look good to you at address, I think they are still a very relevant iron for today's game.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra Aerojet 20* 7 wood* ... Kai'Li 70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/49*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

[quote name='freshprince99' timestamp='1300047774' post='3051925']
the 962's are old technology like others have said but i think that that set of irons along with the 975D driver are what turned titleist from a ball company that made clubs (crappy clubs if you ask me) to a company that made players clubs as well as balls. they are still a good iron, but if you can find them for the same price i reccomend the 990's. (i rocked the 990b's back in junior golf)
[/quote]

A rather ill-informed and heavy handed post if you ask me. Titleist were producing quality clubs long before the 962 were in production. Let's not forget the first generation DCI's put the product line (DCI's that is) on the map as far back as 1993 - nearly five years before the 962's. Before that, Titleist were making Tour Model irons and classic persimmon woods too. It worth noting that a generally universally regarded design classic (681's anyone?) were in production around the same time the 962's were ending their production run - at the same time the 975D really took off. Titleist probably put a premium on the forged aspect of their irons, but are certainly no mug when it comes to 'crappy club design' of cast models. If you want to roll the clock back further to the70's, you still have classics like Tour Model blades and the good old Bullseye putter - both used to win major championships.
As for old fashioned technology, would you care to enlighten us with exactly what is new tech about 990's? Or the current production run of the 710MB/CB series for that matter.

The 962/962B irons are viable players irons in 2011. If the specs are right for your swing then those old clubs will perform just as well as some of the new offerings that are currently available.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

[quote name='llamont' timestamp='1300049468' post='3051990']
The 962/962B irons are viable players irons in 2011. If the specs are right for your swing then those old clubs will perform just as well as some of the new offerings that are currently available.
[/quote]

+1. One of my buddies still has a set he plays.

I had a set of 962B's I played a little last year. I traded them in and shouldn't have as they were protos. No stamping and rolled sole design. Anyway, the look at address was amazing for a cast club. The only problem I had with them was inconsistancy. Now in my opinion that was caused when catching it in the sweet spot which was about the size of a small button (yes on a cast club) they would jump like a flier. Some called it "hot spotting". Not saying they all will do this, just happened to me.

my brother had a set of 990's and he hit them well. they had the cord grips on the set which tore his hands up, but the clubs were solid for him. I have only ever owned one set of titleist clubs which were 704 cb for like a week, and they were alright. I don't know much about titleist irons except that set of 990's which served my brother well. He is atleast a 30 handicap, and they were pretty forgiving for him.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

[quote name='HoosierHacker89' timestamp='1300070139' post='3052991']
my brother had a set of 990's and he hit them well. they had the cord grips on the set which tore his hands up, but the clubs were solid for him. I have only ever owned one set of titleist clubs which were 704 cb for like a week, and they were alright. I don't know much about titleist irons except that set of 990's which served my brother well. He is atleast a 30 handicap, and they were pretty forgiving for him.
[/quote]
I still game some 990B's that are well shafted for me. Very solid but small clubhead, I prefer to the 962b but that is a personal preference.

I picked up a set when I was in high school, probably in '99. They were a big step in improving my game then, making me a better shot maker. I was still using them until last fall when I had an iron test day and got to try out some more recent clubs. Out of 6 that I tried, only 2 produced better results than the 962's so in my mind, they're still a great set to have. If the price is right, go for it.

Ping G30 LS 10.5
TEE CB3 16.5
Adams Super LS 19, A12 Pro 23
Adams MB2, Steelfiber i95
Ping Gorge 52, Ping Glide 58
Ping Ketsch

[quote name='cardia10' timestamp='1300070970' post='3053050']
I loved them in their day. [b]I will say that if you are paying any more than $100[/b] you haven't done your discount shopping. I see them used in shops and online often between $60-100. Great value really. I think the PGA value guide shows about 30 recent sales on ebay with the high end being $44.
[/quote]

Great clubs and agree you shouldn't pay more than 100 bucks. The resale value right now is around $88 (44 is trade in value).
http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exec/product_type/205/brand/2768/model/43832/shaft_type/2/show_details/0/tab/resale/p/Iron%20set/b/Titleist/m/DCI%20962

Handicap:  3

• 3 months later...

I still play a set of 962s with S400 shafts 3-9, IMO the best irons that titleist have ever made, just as the eye2's are for Ping. The look at address is super and I love the feel. These old irons really let me shape my shots, shoot it low what ever I wanna do really. I have tried quite a lot of irons and I have not noticed any real difference to warrant me forking out £500 for a new set. I would rather reshaft what i have when they are getting worn. Plus mine have V grooves so I won't be hampered when the new groove rule comes into force, as I will already be used to them

• 7 years later...

I loved them in their day. I will say that if you are paying any more than $100 you haven't done your discount shopping. I see them used in shops and online often between $60-100. Great value really. I think the PGA value guide shows about 30 recent sales on ebay with the high end being $44.

And to drag up a previous comment of mine before my oldest child was born, I just won a set of 3-PW with Precision 6.0 shafts for $39......Forget those inconsistent p790s!

Played them for a bit earlier this year, a solid set of sticks for sure, IMO. Didn't get rid of them, but are now part of a vacation set up at my folks' place along with some other same-era equipment. I gave'em some elbow grease with a quick sanding and stripping of the paintfill and they are looking very nice right now.

TBH, the only reason they're probably not gamers right now is the fact that they're not spec-ed out for me, and I'm currently not willing or able to eat the cost of a full re-shaft, lie angle adjustment and grip job that they require.

Throughout my use of them over the past couple years, I didn't find them much worse performance-wise (keeping in mind the weaker lofts of the day and the unmatched shafts I currently have on the set)

TaylorMade M4 (9.5*) -- w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+60 (X-stiff)
TaylorMade M1 3HL (17*) -- w/ UST Mamiya Proforce V2 7F4 (stiff)
Titleist 913F (19*) - Mitsubishi Diamana BB S+ 72 (stiff)
TaylorMade Tour Preferred (4-PW) -- w/ TT Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey SM6 M Grind (54*) 
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind (60*)
Odyssey Stroke Lab - One - w/ Super Stroke Flatso 2.0

• 3 months later...

I have been playing 962s on and off since 2001. I basically learned to play "real" golf with them. I went back and forth between them and some Macgregor 1025CM for really 16 years until I just got some Ping G400 last fall. I thought I needed GI irons because I havent been able to play a lot lately or practice really at all (went from a 12 when I was playing a lot to a mid-high 90s weekend warrior). So, I got fitted, and bought my first new set of irons in my life. Meanwhile I took my specs from the G400 fitting and equated them to the 962s (length and loft, ignoring iron #) and just got them adjusted based on the Ping Fitting numbers. I played the G400 all season until mid September and decided to take the 962s out again just for fun. Broke 90 (88) for the first time in 6 years the first time I had them out. Maybe luck or maybe back to my comfort zone or maybe a result of playing the most this year I have I a while.

So, I am a hacker who nerds out over equipment. I have read a bunch of these blogs and reviews and always search for my 962s and the 1025CMs I sold a few years ago. But IMHO I played better with the DCI962s cold than I ever played with the G400...basically one of the newest GI irons out there. No "I" for me...no game "I" or tech "I". Play what feels good. I do...

For the players that use/used the 962's how important do you feel the triple grind sole is to the performance of the iron? If you switched to another iron did you try and find a similar sole grind?

Wondering this same question right now so no better time for a first post. Bought my set back in '98. Played regularly 'til about '04. Hung up clubs for many years. More active the past couple years and playing to a 2-3 right now.

Looked to upgrade clubs last year. Didn't focus on sole grind at all. Spent too much on a set of Honma's I was fitted for off of a mat rather than turf (lesson learned on that). Same shafts in Honma's as 962's. Poor turf interaction, hard to take divots, and felt like I was bouncing into ball on tight lies. Ok out of rough. Didn't work out and back to 962's.

Part of me really wants to go more modern and not play 20 year old clubs but I've wondered about the uniqueness of that grind and how hard it will be to change after playing them for nearly 20 years. Haven't really seen a comparable replacement out there sole grind wise. I've got a set of 716 CB's to try out but these past few weeks of winter has stalled that. It shouldn't be this hard to replace irons.

For the players that use/used the 962's how important do you feel the triple grind sole is to the performance of the iron? If you switched to another iron did you try and find a similar sole grind?

Wondering this same question right now so no better time for a first post. Bought my set back in '98. Played regularly 'til about '04. Hung up clubs for many years. More active the past couple years and playing to a 2-3 right now.

Looked to upgrade clubs last year. Didn't focus on sole grind at all. Spent too much on a set of Honma's I was fitted for off of a mat rather than turf (lesson learned on that). Same shafts in Honma's as 962's. Poor turf interaction, hard to take divots, and felt like I was bouncing into ball on tight lies. Ok out of rough. Didn't work out and back to 962's.

Part of me really wants to go more modern and not play 20 year old clubs but I've wondered about the uniqueness of that grind and how hard it will be to change after playing them for nearly 20 years. Haven't really seen a comparable replacement out there sole grind wise. I've got a set of 716 CB's to try out but these past few weeks of winter has stalled that. It shouldn't be this hard to replace irons.

If you like the irons and the turf interaction and cannot find anything that you hit any better, personally I wouldn't switch, if you are below a 5 handicap, they shaft makes the iron in most cases, especially with the scoring clubs... I play what some snobs would call old technology too, and I enjoy taking their money each time......

i'm always shopping around for a set of 962B's just haven't found the right set yet... but I plan to get a set back into play for a few rounds this summer. But you are right, that sole grind is impossible to find.....