Push Carts - Average age of owner?

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1344622677' post='5445514']
I would never stoop to judging other people. I think people who judge are posers, d-bags and reprobates who don't deserve to be taken seriously.

Oh my, that didn't work out like I planned... :stink:
[/quote]

I see what you did there...

After reading this thread I'm picking up a Clicgear 3.0 this winter.. Hopefully I can get it for a steal with the 3.5/4 coming out in February.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 41 and after a round of carrying a lite bag with 13 clubs and a few balls on a short course, I was sore. Hunting the mountains the weekend before did not help up. It just made me realize I'm not as young as I used to be and my body is telling me that. I think I will seriously look into a cart for next season.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

27 and a former D1 Basketball player.....and love my Clicgear 3.0

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

I'm in my early 60's and walk whenever possible, unless the terrain is too steep, or there is a significant distance between green and next tee that would slow play. I have a bag boy quad, and highly recommend it over the 3 wheels, having owned bag boy push carts, as it's more stable, and can be pushed down a decline, without veering to far for a straight direction. This also depends on the weight distribution.

• 1 month later...

I'm 29 and I am really thinking about buying a Clicgear 3.0 (especially since you can get one for $150 at Sports Authority this week). I have no issues carrying since I've been doing it the past few years for my golf league at work. Even though it's only a nine hole match, I do notice my muscles tightening up a bit toward the end of the round. I've tried my friend's Clicgear and it's effortless to push it around. Plus it allows you to get a cart bag, which is cool since I usually ride on the weekends anyway (why not if it's the same price as walking).

My biggest dilemma is that I drive a G37 coupe and I can barely manage to fit two stand bags in the trunk. I did put my friend's Clicgear in my trunk once, but the trunk barely managed to close. I'd definitely have to fold down my seats if I were to carry a cart bag and the clicgear. Ugh, stupid 9.7 cubic feet of trunk space...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i figure ive more than pay'd off my cheap cart i bought 5 years ago. it only cost me $79 and i have well over 100 rounds on it. average $20 for 18 holes in a cart and thats alot of money saved. I think i've more than earned to upgrade to the clicgear this year. I like how small they have the ability to fold up to fit in the trunk.

• 1 month later...

Just joined the cart club, as I want to take some strain off my back.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

It a PULL cart and as soon as your shoulders, neck, back, etc. start having problems, it's time to get one.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

39 and started using one last year. i love it. easy on the back. more energy at end of round. no need to stuff gear in bag when cart has storage.

best ever in the rain. umbrella sits in holder and i can stand there all day while guys in power carts and carrying are getting soaked. gloves stay dry. towels stay dry.

i do think they are tough on the course maintenance. the rough just off the greens at my course suffers from these. i make a concerted effort to keep it at least 5 yards off the green or on paths whenever possible.

I have never walked the course... always ride. I just purchased a BagBoy Quad for my SM C-130 and look forward to experiencing a new side of the game. I've read that it's a whole new ball game and I'm excited to try. My only problem is that I'm the only person in my group of friends that's willing to try it. Seems like it would be less fun walking when everyone else is riding. I'm curious what other's experiences are like. Do you guys still walk when your partners ride? For league, it's a no brainer. But for the weekend rounds, I just don't see anyone in my group joining me on foot. Kinda stinks.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dgrove12' timestamp='1361649575' post='6487461']
I have never walked the course... always ride. I just purchased a BagBoy Quad for my SM C-130 and look forward to experiencing a new side of the game. I've read that it's a whole new ball game and I'm excited to try. My only problem is that I'm the only person in my group of friends that's willing to try it. Seems like it would be less fun walking when everyone else is riding. I'm curious what other's experiences are like. Do you guys still walk when your partners ride? For league, it's a no brainer. But for the weekend rounds, I just don't see anyone in my group joining me on foot. Kinda stinks.
[/quote]

I started walking about 5 years ago with my regular group and they continued to ride. It never bothered me in the least and it didn't bother them. Now, we all walk, our pace of play has gotten faster and we seem to laugh a lot more because all of us are walking together. Do it.

[quote name='dgrove12' timestamp='1361649575' post='6487461']
[/quote]
I've had my bag boy quad for 2 years now, and play with a partner who always rides, because of his age 74. He provides occassional lifts up steep inclines or where green and tee distances are great. I can keep up with him, but I'm a fast walker. We play in 3 1/2 hours when there's no slow play ahead of us. I really enjoy walking, find many ground onions(balls). Walking is very advantagious on cart path only days, no risk of forgetting clubs.
You'll enjoy the walk and feel pleasantly tired afterwards, ready for a cold one and smorgasbord.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thinks carrying is easier (and faster) than using a push cart? When carrying, I can take direct route to my ball regardless of the terrain. I feel like the guys I play with that are pushing stick to the cart path and take the path of lease resitiance. Its also def easier to carry up and down steep hills than it is to push a cart.

G400 LST -Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
G25 3W - Ping tour X-Flex
G30 5W - Ping Tour X
MP 5 - TI X100
Vokey 50/54/58
DJ Spider Ltd

[quote name='NYCgolfer17' timestamp='1364484155' post='6713879']
Am I the only one who thinks carrying is easier (and faster) than using a push cart? When carrying, I can take direct route to my ball regardless of the terrain. I feel like the guys I play with that are pushing stick to the cart path and take the path of lease resitiance. Its also def easier to carry up and down steep hills than it is to push a cart.
[/quote]

Gotta agree. Steep hills are a b1tch when pushing. Carrying vs pushing pretty much comes down to sore shoulders vs sore legs, IMO.

From the time I took up the game at 21 until I gave up the game at 35 I always walked and carried my bag. Since I took up the game again last summer after a 20 year absence I've been riding but after reading this thread I'm going to start walking again and just received my Bag Boy Quad a few days ago. Looking forward to walking the course(s) this year.

47 and I walk every round I can. Until this year I've carried, but I'm tired of the neck/shoulder/back pain after a round. Just ordered a Clicgear 3.5 to kick off this season.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

• 2 weeks later...

40, prefer to walk whenever possible. When I came back to the game about 6 years ago, I bought a stand bag and found that carrying 18 aggravated some old shoulder injuries I had. I picked up a Clicgear 2.0 and a cart bag and really enjoy the combo.

In fact, I play with some guys around my age on Sunday mornings, and we normally ride (this course has a 1/2 mile path to the 10th). We're normally the first group off. A few weeks ago the cart guy didn't show, and we were offered the choice to either walk or wait 30 mins. My playing partners all had stand bags, and were willing to walk but concerned about my cart bag. I walked back to the car, got my Clicgear, and was ready to go. I took a TON of crap on the 1st tee for my "grandpa" cart. But by the time we were on #7, I had received a couple of lucrative financial offers to trade bag setups. :)

Couple thoughts...

First, the poll results here may be a little skewed. I don't know what the average age of membership on this site is, but I know my dad (age 60) would not be posting to this poll. That being said, I'm surprised there are as many younger players using them. 27 here and I've used one since I graduated college. At first, it was to save money. My memberships are walking and it doesn't cost me anything to push my clubs around. Recently, however, I've noticed that I can play Friday, Saturday, Sunday (when the wife allows) and not be in pain Monday, which was frequent when carrying. These have all been mentioned of course.

Recently, the group I play with (around 40 guys each Friday, 50 each Saturday) has been increasing from 4-5 guys each day walking to 15-20 guys each day walking. I think it's catching on. And I frankly love the accessories for the Clicgear series carts. My hands aren't cold because of the mitts. My hydrapack with ice in it stays cold for 5 hours, and I stay warmer by walking on those colder days.

Here's to continuing the movement!

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X