2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Least favorite design feature on a golf hole.

That means hitting an area 20 yards deep 220 yards away, it's completely blind from the tee and sloping away. Hitting over the trees to the right is easy but the target is microscopic. A slice will be lost. A hook and short will be blocked by trees. Long and you are likely blocked by trees and you will be in the rough with the ball below your feet.

2. To the left is a large open area shared with the 17 (also red on the map), hitting it there is pure guesswork. The carry is almost as long as if aming at the fairway and provided you find your ball (and didn't kill someone on the 17th) you have a about a 10% chance of having a shot at the green.

Number 2 doesn't work because of that stupid single tree in between the other trees. Yeah, this hole is dumb.

How far is the red shaded area you just added from the tee box (the one I suggested)? 20 yard target isn't *that* bad if its a short enough club, and it looks like one redeeming feature is being able bounce a shot into the green complex, so 220 out while tough isn't the end of the world if isn't a carry.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In course O.B. is the one thing that irks me. Out of bounds is just that -- off the property, not on the golf course.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I'd probably go left. Hit hybrid or 3i. What would that leave you in? The second might even be shorter than playing the actual hole. Link for Google earth or maps?

https://www.google.se/maps/place/Viksbergs+Golf+Club/@59.2458522,17.6304678,482m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x465f0c554b37a9ef:0x4a42b5e67fd3d01c!8m2!3d59.2458522!4d17.6326618?hl=en

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

Played a course with a couple of golfwrx's yesterday at Metamora CC, and something came to my attention. As a comparative short knocker (my good ones go 240), one of my least favorite holes is a long par 4 with a forced layup off the tee. I don't want to hit a 200 yard tee ball and leave myself with 200+ in. And it was even worse than that, because it was a dogleg left, with the tee ball over a lake. The big hitters can cut the corner, but to be safe I can't do that. So any amount I push it right leaves me with an even longer approach shot.

Another type of hole I don't like is one whose design overly punishes a tee ball which is barely offline. A course called Greystone which we played Saturday has the final two holes like this. They're ridiculous designs. Hit a tee ball 1 foot too far right and it's as bad as hitting it 50 yards too far right.

Yeah #6 is a b!tch

Bunkers with vegetation growing in or down into them. These abound at Whistling Straits where if you hit a ball and it rolls into a small but deep bunker it may hang on the vertical grassy/fescue-y edge. No stance, no swing, no shot. You basically have to just knock it free down into the sand and then play your regular bunker shot. Either make it a sand bunker or make it a grassy pot bunker, but not both.

bunker.jpg

Example of pin high shot that rolled into the "bunker" but hung on the lip. Picture doesn't do justice to the severity of the slope of the grassy area.

Bunkers with vegetation growing in or down into them. These abound at Whistling Straits where if you hit a ball and it rolls into a small but deep bunker it may hang on the vertical grassy/fescue-y edge. No stance, no swing, no shot. You basically have to just knock it free down into the sand and then play your regular bunker shot. Either make it a sand bunker or make it a grassy pot bunker, but not both.

bunker.jpg

Example of pin high shot that rolled into the "bunker" but hung on the lip. Picture doesn't do justice to the severity of the slope of the grassy area.

Ya I hate those "pin high" shots on 9 that roll diagonally back 15yds into that left side bunker ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Ya I hate those "pin high" shots on 9 that roll diagonally back 15yds into that left side bunker ;)

Not sure what you're gettin at... that is pretty much as pin high as a ball can be - that's practically a straight 90 degree line to the pin - this view is standing on the left side of the green, the fairway in this photo is to the right. I hit (read: overcooked) a draw into that front pin and ball hit a couple inches on the green, bounced forward a couple inches and slowly rolled through the frog hair and over the lip of the bunker. I thought, "no big deal, just gotta get up and down out of the bunker" and that's what I walked up to. That bunker edge is like straight up and down - which would be fine if the ball doesn't get stuck in the grassy outgrowth and would've just fallen to the bottom of the bunker.

ws-pinhigh.jpg

Blind tee shots.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9°@11° Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
Cobra King Tour 5-G Project X LS120 6.0  

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

Not sure what you're gettin at... that is pretty much as pin high as a ball can be - that's practically a straight 90 degree line to the pin - this view is standing on the left side of the green, the fairway in this photo is to the right. I hit (read: overcooked) a draw into that front pin and ball hit a couple inches on the green, bounced forward a couple inches and slowly rolled through the frog hair and over the lip of the bunker. I thought, "no big deal, just gotta get up and down out of the bunker" and that's what I walked up to. That bunker edge is like straight up and down - which would be fine if the ball doesn't get stuck in the grassy outgrowth and would've just fallen to the bottom of the bunker.

I'm just messing. I liked the mitigation of the pin high is all.

I don't mind the shaggy faces if the ball can sit up - which it seems to be there. Then it's just a matter of finding a stance and popping it up, like any other extreme uphill in the rough shot you face on a links/faux links course. If they have shaggy backsides and you end up with a downhiller instead of it sitting in the bunker, that would annoy me.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm just messing. I liked the mitigation of the pin high is all.

I don't mind the shaggy faces if the ball can sit up - which it seems to be there. Then it's just a matter of finding a stance and popping it up, like any other extreme uphill in the rough shot you face on a links/faux links course. If they have shaggy backsides and you end up with a downhiller instead of it sitting in the bunker, that would annoy me.

Agreed. I can't stand shaggy backsides. Wait...what are we talking about here?

• 7 months later...

Here is a dumb hole on a local course that is the epitome of "hit a good shot or else".

This is #14 at Canyon Lakes Golf Club in San Ramon CA.

I realize the topography limited what they could do but I really wish this hole was designed better.

This hole is a par 5 that doglegs to the left and plays 500 yards from the white tees. I've marked the tee boxes with an R, W, and B to denote the tees. The tee box is slightly elevated above the level of the fairway and requires a forced carry of 150 yards from the whites to reach the fairway. On the right side of the fairway is an steep hill with native grass and trees. If you miss right of the cart path there is a 90% chance your ball is gone. On the left side of the fairway there is heavy rough and a steep slope to a creek approximately 16' below the level of the fairway. Miss too far left there is a good chance your ball is gone. It the rough stops before it goes in the creek you have a awkward recovery shot just to get it back to the fairway.

I've put 3 lines on this image to show fairway width at different spots on the fairway.

- At 200 yards off the white tees the fairway landing area is only 17 yards wide.

- At 250 yards off the white tees the fairway landing area is only 22 yards wide.

-At 125 yards from the center of the green the fairway is 26 yards wide.

What is someone playing the white tees supposed to hit on a fairway that's narrower than an average US open fairway with all that trouble on both sides? Laying up to 200y gives you just as much chance to find the trouble as hitting driver to 230-270.

Once you get past the tee shot you need to setup the approach shot. You don't get an unobstructed view of the green until you get 150 yards from the center of the green. The fairway is still relatively narrow at only 26 Yards wide from the center of the tee. When you are hitting from that 100-150 yard range the green is elevated approximately 16ft above the level of the fairway. Anything that comes up short of the green (and not in the bunkers) rolls down into the creek bed about 30ft-40ft below the level of the green. If you go to long you are pitching off a steep down slope in a native area to a green that runs away (down towards that creek bed).

This hole just seems overly penal imo. Not really sure how to rework it given the land area short of turning it into a par 4. (edit- actually I think turning this into a par 4 by putting the teebox closer to where the fairway starts could turn this into a good hole. It would put the landing area for driver up by those bunkers thus allowing you to miss right and be playable, but having to contend with the bunkers.)

Here is a dumb hole on a local course that is the epitome of "hit a good shot or else".

I realize the topography limited what they could do but I really wish this hole was designed better.

This hole is a par 5 that doglegs to the left and plays 500 yards from the white tees. I've marked the tee boxes with an R, W, and B to denote the tees. The tee box is slightly elevated above the level of the fairway and requires a forced carry of 150 yards from the whites to reach the fairway. On the right side of the fairway is an steep hill with native grass and trees. If you miss right of the cart path there is a 90% chance your ball is gone. On the left side of the fairway there is heavy rough and a steep slope to a creek approximately 16' below the level of the fairway. Miss too far left there is a good chance your ball is gone. It the rough stops before it goes in the creek you have a awkward recovery shot just to get it back to the fairway.

I've put 3 lines on this image to show fairway width at different spots on the fairway.

- At 200 yards off the white tees the fairway landing area is only 17 yards wide.

- At 250 yards off the white tees the fairway landing area is only 22 yards wide.

What is someone playing the white tees supposed to hit on a fairway that's narrower than an average US open fairway with all that trouble on both sides? Laying up to 200y gives you just as much chance to find the trouble as hitting driver to 230-270.

Once you get past the tee shot you need to setup the approach shot. You don't get an unobstructed view of the green until you get 150 yards from the center of the green. The fairway is still relatively narrow at only 26 Yards wide from the center of the tee. When you are hitting from that 100-150 yard range the green is elevated approximately 16ft above the level of the fairway. Anything that comes up short of the green (and not in the bunkers) rolls down into the creek bed about 30ft-40ft below the level of the green. If you go to long you are pitching off a steep down slope in a native area to a green that runs away (down towards that creek bed).

This hole just seems overly penal imo. Not really sure how to rework it given the land area short of turning it into a par 4. (edit- actually I think turning this into a par 4 by putting the teebox closer to where the fairway starts could turn this into a good hole. It would put the landing area for driver up by those bunkers thus allowing you to miss right and be playable, but having to contend with the bunkers.)

I played Bridges now and again, but never Canyon Lakes. Is it largely on the same terrain? Google maps seems to show the same kind of shoehorning in between houses and stuff.

In that neck of the woods it's pretty impossible to not have stupid holes.

F.T.

I played Bridges now and again, but never Canyon Lakes. Is it largely on the same terrain? Google maps seems to show the same kind of shoehorning in between houses and stuff.

In that neck of the woods it's pretty impossible to not have stupid holes.

Yeah it's largely the same terrain. You can see the hole I'm complaining about from #2 green and #3 teebox at Bridges. Yeah as you said the topography for these courses makes it very tough to not have some stupid holes. I just happen to think this particular hole is more stupid than most because it doesn't give you a place to miss off the tee. Probably doesn't help that this hole always kicks my butt and takes my lunch money. :black eye:

My strategy for the next time I play it is take 6 or 7 iron off the tee and then hit a 5 iron or hybrid to get to the 140s range for the approach shot.

The plus side is the course opened a brewery on site so I can drown my sorrows. :alcoholic:

This hole just seems overly penal imo. Not really sure how to rework it given the land area short of turning it into a par 4. (edit- actually I think turning this into a par 4 by putting the teebox closer to where the fairway starts could turn this into a good hole. It would put the landing area for driver up by those bunkers thus allowing you to miss right and be playable, but having to contend with the bunkers

That looks and sounds like a hard hole. Better hit quality shots m

My Ross course has a bunch of features that kerfuffle me. I'm trying to count now.....3 of the greens have these confounded mounds right in front. They look like zits. You hit a nice approach to a middle pin and it hits on the front of the mound and rolls back off the green. Or it lands on the back side of the mound and skips forward like a chunk of greased bacon. Then there are his split level greens. He was the architect of split level long before they became a blueprint for suburban homes. You're on the wrong level, and 3 putt is not too bad.

Another course feature that irks me is fescue 2 yds off the fairway. I understand 'well just put it on the fairway' but when you are 3 yds right and can't find your ball, that = 5 hr rounds.