The Dreaded "Clubhouse Pairing"

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1306967463' post='3278395']
You can tell a lot about a person's character by playing just one round of golf with them.
[/quote]

+1

I play probably close to half my rounds as a single. I like getting paired up with new people. Yes there are going to be some people that are better/more fun to play with compared to others, but hey, that's life.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I have found I play the tips. When paired up with others they feel they must move back. Some have ego's and need to move back. I am only 5'5" and slim build, I actually heard one guy say to his partner if that little guy can hit from their we should have no problems. They moved back to the mens tee's after the first hole.

XR 9.0 Oban Kiyoshi Tour LTD 70 Stiff
Xhot 3 Deep 14.5 Project X 6.0
Xhot Pro Hybrid 16,18 Project X 6.5
Cobra Amp Forged KBS Tour +S 4-P
Ping Anser Circa 1972 (Mint)
CG10 58 Lob wedge, CG10 50 gap wedge

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ipar36' timestamp='1308152945' post='3309313']
Interesting thread... I am playing a threesome for the first time this weekend and kind of hope we dont get paired up with a single simply because we plan on just having a good time and not taking it serious...
[/quote]

A single out there might be looking to do the same thing.

I was with a buddy tonight, looking to just mess around, but wanted to play a good round, and wanted to keep it moving.

Met a guy on the first tee, asked if we wanted to join, and we did. Glad we did, because the guy was GOOD, he played fast, was ready to play, and didn't make fake small talk. Joked on the greens, marked his ball, and we all moved around the course.

Ended up playing 18 in less than 3 hours and 25 minutes, with 3 of us playing from the back tee's, marking our ball and waiting for a single in front of us on a few holes. Helped that we all played well, didn't have to drop any balls, or re-tee, or look for balls in the woods, but I really enjoyed it and it was extremely pleasant.

• 2 months later...

I don't mind getting paired up with someone if there's an open spot or 2 in our group, or getting put with another group if I'm a single, but I definitely don't prefer it.

My weekend rounds are usually with my buddies, and we want to catch up on what's been going on, drink, smoke , be vulgar, and just enjoy ourselves. I really don't want to have to be on my best behavior out of fear of offending a stranger.
And if I go out as a single, it's usually after work, so either I'm on a mission to work on something, or I just need to get out after a rough day.
I spend my work day being pleasant to people that I'd rather not have to associate and make small talk with, so it's really the last thing I want to do when I get to the golf course.

In the past 12 years, my profession has taken me all over the country (U.S.). I'm usually in a location from 3 months up to a year. I've played golf every time on muni's, semi's, private, and resort courses. Some of the best times I've encountered in 30 years of golf have been "hooking up" with an individual or group and having a blast. It's how you meet people with a common interest, if you/they're interested in being social. Some folks aren't and I understand. As the consummate stranger on almost every occasion I've run the gamut from "why certainly" to "F - off". You just have to understand how people are about their comfort zone and what part of the country you're in. It's ususally pretty evident if you end up with someone or a bunch and it's not cool to either party, just bow out, move ahead, and/or return to the starter for another shot at it.

And for those who get hung up behind someone/group who won't let you play through (when they should), just skip the hole. I mean, 95% of the time it's a casual round of golf and especially for the twilighters, getting in 18 is a stretch, so why deal with the frustration that the rude SOB's impart on you? If it's that important to play that hole, come back after you've finished the others and play it.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Luckily the course I play is fairly quiet so I play alone about 99.9% of the time.

I have played with others on occasion but I prefer not to for several reasons.

1. First of all I'm kind of a loner and enjoy just being me and the golf course. (Although I do think golf at its peak is playing with someone very similar to you with the same kind of mindset and a person who you understands your relationship with them and feel comfortable with)

2. I have a tendency, when playing with others to not focus on my game and not be serious about what I am trying to work on.

I can say, however, that through my experience as a caddie, doing hundreds of loops I will say the best times I've had on a golf course are with like-minded individuals with similar personalities and are almost always good golfers. (In my experience I am the caddy, caddying for a similar person.)

I don't think you can beat a serious, but casual, round of golf with a good friend.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='GatorNate11' timestamp='1306814888' post='3274029']
If I'm out as a single, I'm not that big of a fan just because I like to play my own little mind games with myself. Now if I'm out just playing, not that concerned with scores or whatever, sure, no problem with that. Or if I'm with a buddy or something, no issue getting paired up either. Sometimes I just prefer to be out there alone haha.

[/quote]

i agree with this chap

i like to practice in the week by myself if I'm catching a group up in-front i will play 2/3 balls or chip/putt practice if the group behind catch me up & invite me to join them then i will sometimes playing with others makes you realize I'm not that bad really,,,,,,if your a OK player meaning you get the ball in the air most of the time you will be asked to join there group no one wants to play with a bad golfer because it bring your game down

then i play competitions at weekends were the groups tend to be more serious

I'm going to reiterate that golf is a gentleman's game. I feel like I'm obligated to help improve people's understanding of the esoteric rules of etiquette either through polite informing or at least by setting an example with my own gentlemanly conduct, and a big part of that is giving people the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know where you guys play but the vast majority of my pairings have been positive experiences. After realizing that I should get just over myself, the upside of a good pairing is well worth the risk of a bad one.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

[quote name='eroc' timestamp='1324169760' post='3954207']
I'm going to reiterate that golf is a gentleman's game. I feel like I'm obligated to help improve people's understanding of the esoteric rules of etiquette either through polite informing or at least by setting an example with my own gentlemanly conduct, and a big part of that is giving people the benefit of the doubt.

Much agreed a game of integrity and...that doesnt mean u cant b vulgar and drink with your buddies im pretty sure thats the MAIN reason the scots invented it. There are guys who are fun to play with and then theres the prix who wanna b tiger...joking...kinda

I don't know where you guys play but the vast majority of my pairings have been positive experiences. After realizing that I should get just over myself, the upside of a good pairing is well worth the risk of a bad one.
[/quote]

I probably went two years playing as a single and was paired with probably 100+ randoms. Only 2 bad pairings were my friend and i with the courses owner (an 80 year old woman) and her ~11 year old grandson. 2nd hole her grandson was hitting his 6th from where I was hitting my 2nd (about 130 out) and I hit mine just over the back of the green, right next to the cart path. As we walk up, her son hits his 10th shot on the green, the group behind us is annoyed and the woman asks me to pick up my ball because she doesn't want to hold the group behind us up. Yeah, let me just skip this attempt to get up and down for par so your grandson can putt out for a 12. The next hole we told them we were going to just go ahead to the next tee and try to play through. By the 6th hole we were 2 holes ahead of them. People like this just amaze me, especially since we were technically her customers. Only other time was a guy who kind of reminded me of Ernest from all the "Ernest goes to Camp" type movies. He had no woods and just played 1-P and everytime he hit the 1 iron he made the exact same "only god can hit a 1 iron joke" and just talked during backswings and was generally annoying all day. Otherwise I have met tons of super nice, well intentioned people out on the course.

I play as a single often and have learned to focus on my own game. However, a few things that have bothered me recently were when I played with 3 of the worst golfers ever. I was playing the blues at a pretty tough course and upon greetings, I mention it doesn't matter what tees they play. Well they proceed to play blues and lose a ball each on the first tee. Well, this became a pattern and I was looking for balls on every hole. One of the guys had a terrible swing and tells me has a putting green in his back yard and practices every day, couldn't break 150! They kept walking on my line and standing around looking at each other and not pulling the pin when I was putting. Basically clueless. Another time was how uncomfortable it was to be paired with another low handicap and a 40+ hdcp. The low and I proceed to hit 250 plus on the first tee, and the 40+ steps up and hits it 45 degrees left about 50 yds into the desert. He re-tees and launches it 45 degrees 150 yds into the right desert. I ask if he is playing the first ball and when he says no I run and grab it for him, trying to be nice. I try to not to advise too much but I had to try and help this guy as I knew it would be a long day. After a quick tip or two he started making better contact and managed to keep up. However, I kind of felt bad for him as I have not played with significantly better golfers in quite a while but I am sure that made him uncomfortable.

[quote name='db22' timestamp='1324275593' post='3959223']
[quote name='eroc' timestamp='1324169760' post='3954207']

[/quote]

Much agreed a game of integrity and...that doesnt mean u cant b vulgar and drink with your buddies im pretty sure thats the MAIN reason the scots invented it. There are guys who are fun to play with and then theres the prix who wanna b tiger...joking...kinda

[/quote]

Definitely agree, and by being a gentleman I mean treating people with respect, not looking down on them if they are not as good, not rushing to judgment if they don't observe every little standard decorum, and most of all remembering that we are all out there to have fun.

Trust me consuming substances on the golf course is one of my favorite pastimes. And I've definitely done my share of thoughtless stuff under the influence.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

I play every Saturday with two guys I was paired up with randomly when I first joined my club four years ago. Our families are now close so I would say that one worked out.

However, Columbus day I was paired with a traveling caddie who I had to run back to the club house after we putted out on ten because he had a serious accident in his pants.

Win some, lose some, but I will still happily play with anyone who wants to play with me, it is a great part of the game.

I prefer to play as a single because that way I can play fast and keep my mind focused. If I do get paired up I just hope the person is nice and not full of themselves. I also don't care how good or bad they are. Most of the time that I get paired up with someone they are nice and sometimes I get paired with someone that is really fun to play with. But, last summer I got paired with a guy that would take 7 shots to get to the green then announce "that's a par or another par for me". The tenth hole at my home course is a short par 4 only 310 yards. I hit my drive and hit a horrible shot only about 230 and in the left ruff, this guy comes up with his 3 wood and just chunks the ground taking a huge divit and the ball goes 5 feet then he re tees (that's fine I don't care) then hits a descent shot and out drives me by about 10 yards I tell him nice shot and he's says to me "it was crap I can hit my 3 wood 360 yards on a bad day". And the rest of the round proceed to tell me how rich he is and how great he is at golf. If I had to guess he got at least a 150.

I play in a golf league here in Dallas, handicapped and flighted for $1000 to win, with skins and other side games. Play well and you will have a nice payday. They don't allow us to request pairings, and while I play lots of casual rounds with some of the other members, rarely are you paired with the people you are closest to in the league ,in a tournament , which can make for some interesting interactions. You know OF most of the players, but you don't know THEM. Plenty of jackwagons who you would rather not play with, but you fight through it if it happens to be your draw. The two day tournaments are even better fodder as they pair the groups on the day one finish, so if some clown played about as good as you, you get him the next day and just have to fight through it.

I'd like to think that I am pretty tolerant of others, and I really have no trouble helping others look for golf balls, as I find that to be common courtesy, but I will stop short of going into woods to help. If it's a self conscious thing, I can promise you my swing is hands down the goofiest thing you have ever seen, so that helps break the ice early on. I don't mind playing with strangers. And the line of "you can join us or play through" is one I use often if we have the space and a guy is behind us.

I often play as a single and have no problems being paired up with another single or teeing off with 3 guys that have known each other their whole lives. While it is better for my game if I go straight through 18 holes by myself without getting caught behind someone, I usually end up enjoying the day more when I play with someone I've never met. Old guys usually have great stories, and high schoolers and guys who down a 6-pack/9-holes can be quite entertaining. If a group or a single is always meeting me at the tee box because I'm waiting for another group I always offer to let them play with me, as it seems awfully stupid to add to the congestion.
The best thing about being paired up is out-driving everybody, especially 10-handicap guys that insist on playing from the tips :)

Not letting faster players play through is one of my biggest pet peeves though, something that rangers should always take care of.

Nike VR Tour 9.5 | Nike VR Ltd 15 19 | Callaway Razr X Muscleback 3-9 | Vokey SM8 48-52-56 | Rife Cayman

• 4 weeks later...

Im kind of like that in a sense. I dislike playing with anyone. I really really enjoy playing alone minus two other people. One is my really good friend, I've known for years, and the other is my cousin. I dislike playing with random people, or other friends of mine who golf for a magnitude of different reasons. The biggest one being, is that most of my friends are absolute hacks, which I dont have a problem with. However when we go to play 9 holes, and they lose an entire pack of balls, and claim to shoot one or 2 over. I cant deal with that.And instead of calling them out, and potentially losing a friend, I just choose to not golf with them. And also, most of my friends, want to ride. I hate riding. However, if I was playing a round alone, and someone approached me to play with their group, I certainly wouldnt say anything disrespectful like "You never know who you're going to play with" I would either courteously decline, or join the group.

We went for our annual visit to my son and his wife last June and discovered he had taken up golf. I had never played but said I would try. I was surprised at the green fees but it was father-son time and something he wanted to do. At the first tee there were two older guys with a cart that just started golfing with us. We were walking. At first I was a bit miffed that they would invite themselves into our game when I only get to see my boy about a week a year. They turned out to be a lot of fun and fairly patient with my first time of horrendous golf. I ended up picking my ball up a great deal.

Now seven months later.....I am addicted and play more golf than anyone I know. I always appreciate the offer to join up with others. I sometimes decline just because I don't have the time to play foursome golf instead of by myself.

I play as a single about half the time, and I usually get paired with others. Living in the Palm Springs area, I almost always get paired with retired Canandian "snowbirds" and generally speaking, they are the nicest people, and most of them have decent games.

I wasn't always comfortable getting paired with strangers but over time I've gotten used to it and it is almost always enjoyable.

Most of it depends on how well you interact with others.

And...it is hard to have a bad disposition when it is 75F and sunny in January :beach:

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

Golf is a gentleman's game, and some golfers are just socially retarded.

You can tell a lot about a person's character by playing just one round of golf with them.
[/quote]

This couldn't be more true. I admit, I am not the best in social situations, but on the course I am because I am confident about my game

The last round of the year here in '11, I walked onto the course on the last nice day we were going to have. The course was crowded. Starter puts me with 3 women who were ages 65+. They looked at me like I was the devil. I walked up and introduced myself and made a commment about the weather and how the week prior, me and my wife were on another course in the area and how we had seen a wild coyote running around. It helped to break the tension of me playing with them. I got to play my game, they played theirs.

I usually play in section events and tournaments around the area...fwiw. No reason for some guy to be a knob on the course.

I play most of my golf as a single and join up with others.....I don't like to play on my own....I lose focus.

If I'm in a 3 or 2some and see a single that is gaining on us...I'll invite them.

There are all kinds of people......some like company some don't.

I would imagine public players are more inviting.....on any busy public track you need to be paired up...unless you pay for open spots in a 4some.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='V-twin' timestamp='1307021867' post='3279683']
The problem I have found I play the tips. When paired up with others they feel they must move back. Some have ego's and need to move back. I am only 5'5" and slim build, I actually heard one guy say to his partner if that little guy can hit from their we should have no problems. They moved back to the mens tee's after the first hole.
[/quote]

:russian_roulette::russian_roulette::russian_roulette::russian_roulette:
I am 5'5'' 190 pounds athletic build! I hit the ball a long way compared to most ppl. My buddy and me dont play the back tees but the ones up that play too 7000 yards at the course we play normally. He also is the same height but 30 pounds heavier. We constantly play with people who try to play those tees with us. Its a desert course with a forced carry of 230 on the first hole. The next is a smooth 210 downhill typically dead into the wind. After the guys go 10,8 they move up a tee box. 6600 yards and they proceed to lose more balls. Until they finally move up on more box. it drives me insane. 7000 yards is long. Back to the OP. Ill play with anyone no matter how bad they are. Depending on the course ill help people look for their ball, as long as I dont have to look in any cacti. Just be nice and if they dont want to go along with you let it go. A bad day of golf is better than a good day work. And you can always be on the other side of the grass, so when Im on the course I try to complain as little as possible, the interwebs though ill complain all i want!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='stianvm' timestamp='1306797410' post='3273278']
Aslong as there is a slot, i play with everyone. People in their 70s or like today, 3 unknown junior pros with a average hcp of +1.5 . I am a 12. I even played from the tips for a first ever.

Thats the great thing about golf, you can play with all walks of life, with all stories to share. Those who doesn't see that miss out imo.
[/quote]

+1

my brother is the type to not play with strangers. when he and i are out and i invite a single to play with us he gets so worked up his game goes to s**t. It goes even further to the point where when we play early in the morning if the mowers are out and they pull to the side and allow us through he comes unglued and duffs everything. I don't understand it but some people just don't do well with strangers. my philosophy is that they are out here for the same reasons i am; to challenge yourself and above all have a good time.

Golf is a gentleman's game, and some golfers are just socially retarded.

[/quote]

Hit the nail on the head. It amazes me how socially inept people can act.

I have no problem with someone declining to be paired up, who would rather play by themselves or in their own little group. With that being said, if you are a single and you are not in any "rush" to finish your round, I would recommend joining someone if they'll have you.

I got paired up with an older gentlemen a couple of months ago and got to play a round of golf with an amazing guy and real American hero. This guy was the belly gunner in a B-25 in World War II. There are fewer and fewer WWII veterens left in this world and to get to spend 4 hours hearing stories about his life was a great experience, and I could have just played through.
The town I live in is mostly retired older demographic and man do they have some great stories.

PING G400 LST - Hzrdous Yellow X-Stiff
Titleist 910H (17, 21, 24)
Titleist 718 T-MBs (5 - PW)
Vokey SM7 Jet Blacks (50, 55, 60)
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
Titleist ProV1

I mostly play single because my friends and I have different lives (read: I'm married, no kids... they have kids).

Yesterday was a nice morning so I went to the local haunt and seeing as they weren't busy, the starter said the group that's about to go off is a three and asks if I'm fine going off with them. "Absolutely".

There was no one in front of them for a couple holes that I could see as I'm walking up, and there were only 2 on the tee. I mentioned the starter paired me up with "your three" and they invited me to go off solo in front if I wanted because they were waiting on their third, and the 4th was a bit late and was going to "join them on the third."

I was on the 3rd hole, and turned around and noticed the "three" of them were just getting to the 1st green. On the 5th, I met up with another three that were happy to have me. Great group of gentlemen. In discussion, one was an ex Cubs pitcher (Before your time Tim D. if you're reading this!) and moved into the town I grew up in about a dozen years ago.

Looking back occasionally, the original threesome let another pair play through, and by the time we were on the 16th, the original threesome still don't have their 4th buddy as they approached the 11th. :lol: Musta been some night if he couldn't make it 2 hrs later!

Ok, fine. I have no problem if you decline, but just say no thanks. It's the lying that gets me sometimes. Don't go making stuff up thinking you're doing anyone a favor.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

• 5 weeks later...

I've been paired up endless times, and can't say I've really had a negative experience that sticks out to me. My Dad, who i often play with, is pretty bad, and he hates getting paired up, but it always turns out fine.

I used to try to avoid it, but now don't really mind, and more time than not am glad i ended up playing with the strangers.

I still r try to avoid it for Dad though when we play just the two of us.