Discount Dan's (Merged)

pingman1

DOND has become my new favorite place. DD's has great customer service and the people know golf. I just got fed up with going to the big box stores and dealing with incompetent sales people that don't understand their products and only want to sell you what's on the floor.

That's definitely true. Our local golf shop has a much of clueless college kids working. There only problem is my family getting me gift cards for my bday and Christmas. For instance, they placed an order, knew it was wrong and didn't call to let me know. Then in the process of trying to fix it, they messed up again. Only place to try and buy product locally though.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't see how this discussion is providing any greater good for our community. With DD, the only complaint is generally pricing. And first of all, we've seen that these pricing discussions have caused problems in the past, and certainly could again in the future.

Also, I simply don't see the complaint about getting a price quote that you don't like. DD is a retailer--it doesn't matter online or B&M, or both. They sell products for prices that they see fit. Some products might be discounted, some might not be. No different than Golf Galaxy, PGA SS, etc. You like a price being offered, you act on it. You don't, then move along to a different retailer. It cost you what, a couple of minutes of your time requesting a price quote, and reading the quote.

In a CPO thread for example, the complaint is usually about what happens after you place an order, not the price. Pricing rarely comes up, except maybe in a positive sense for a good sale. My last two orders from CPO have been less than stellar--GBB heads (driver and 3 wood) arriving in worse condition than stated. That is relevant--what I chose to pay for the heads isn't really relevant--the price was sufficient for me, maybe not for you.

The bottom line for me is, DD is a known quantity, with fair to competitive pricing, and with a knowledge about how to get orders in timely, get them processed quickly, and when custom ordered, get what you want and have a direct line to the OEM.

Just my .02 cents.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD HD-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Epic Flash TC 5 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I highly doubt a forum discussion constitutes marketing. Especially if the company in question is not involved in the discussion. My issue is not with DD as much the members that try to censor any conversation about them on an online deal or no deal discussion board.

I have done business with DD and both price and service we great each time. I would never post a price I was quoted. But, I can't hold it against anyone who does, regardless of how much I wish they wouldn't. Crying out for a thread to get locked on a public forum because u don't like the content is a little much.

Costco is thankful of the marketing we've done for the KSig.

Regarding the line of thinking about giving of different prices (which I think was unfounded) I put this to the test. I have ordered many things from them - those guys probably get tired of me asking for quotes.

I called about a product that I was interested in. Got a price of xyz.

Had a co-worker, who doesnt even golf, email about the same product. Got the same price as me. My co-worker had never even heard of DD.

So I think we can put that line of thinking to bed. We all get the same pricing. There is no secret code or club or whatever has been suggested. DD is an online retailer that offers a price for a product. Sometimes it has been cheaper, sometimes the same, and in other instances more than I can find elsewhere.

I dont see what all the fuss is about.

They are quick to respond, helpful, and always willing to talk thru an order, which I appreciate.

Darkspeed LS 10.5 -  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I highly doubt a forum discussion constitutes marketing. Especially if the company in question is not involved in the discussion. My issue is not with DD as much the members that try to censor any conversation about them on an online deal or no deal discussion board.

I have done business with DD and both price and service we great each time. I would never post a price I was quoted. But, I can't hold it against anyone who does, regardless of how much I wish they wouldn't. Crying out for a thread to get locked on a public forum because u don't like the content is a little much.

Costco is thankful of the marketing we've done for the KSig.

Lol, I bet they are! I never was able to try them. I actually was going to buy a Costco membership just to get some of those. But, they sold out right when I found out about them. When they come back, I'll be all over them though!

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

The thing is, I don't think they are breaking the rules. They aren't advertising their prices, which is what MAP is about. If anything, WE ARE breaking the rules for them by posting our deals and essentially doing this advertising for them. Thus the desire to close the thread.

This^^^^ MAP means they can't advertise below a certain price. They can sell the product for whatever they please. Any golf retailer can do the same thing but most use MAP as an excuse. If you push a store manager at most any store, they will knock more off the price if they want the sale bad enough.

My understanding with Ping is that they control your selling price. They have enough following to get away with that policy.

The thing is, I don't think they are breaking the rules. They aren't advertising their prices, which is what MAP is about. If anything, WE ARE breaking the rules for them by posting our deals and essentially doing this advertising for them. Thus the desire to close the thread.

This^^^^ MAP means they can't advertise below a certain price. They can sell the product for whatever they please. Any golf retailer can do the same thing but most use MAP as an excuse. If you push a store manager at most any store, they will knock more off the price if they want the sale bad enough.

My understanding with Ping is that they control your selling price. They have enough following to get away with that policy.

To your last statement, technically Titleist and Mizuno do the same thing. They aren't as active as PING with secret shoppers and what not, but they do still shut down accounts that blatantly violate the policies we retailers agree to in order to sell their goods. Titleist did this very thing with PGA Tour Superstore of all places for at least a year, maybe longer (don't remember the time period their account was closed). If Mizuno catches you selling below their MAP, they reserve the right to do the same. You won't find Mizuno discounted much if any from legit account holders. Maybe I see more of this because I'm about 10 minutes from Mizuno's facility here in GA.

To your last statement, technically Titleist and Mizuno do the same thing. They aren't as active as PING with secret shoppers and what not, but they do still shut down accounts that blatantly violate the policies we retailers agree to in order to sell their goods. Titleist did this very thing with PGA Tour Superstore of all places for at least a year, maybe longer (don't remember the time period their account was closed). If Mizuno catches you selling below their MAP, they reserve the right to do the same. You won't find Mizuno discounted much if any from legit account holders. Maybe I see more of this because I'm about 10 minutes from Mizuno's facility here in GA.

I'm assuming this is why you see tons of eBay auctions for mizuno irons that have "been hit once"

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

I'm assuming this is why you see tons of eBay auctions for mizuno irons that have "been hit once"

Yup. That's how I bought mine. Hit once with custom specs and plastic still on the clubs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

DD was more expensive than my local B&M on my G400 fairway

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

I'm aware, was adding to the prior post that said DD didn't save him anything.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

I used them years ago and had a great experience. However, earlier this year they quoted me one price(~10% to 15% off) on a new Driver on the phone but was told MSRP when I went to purchase a few weeks later. They said they would never have quoted me that. Needless to say I ordered elsewhere.

Epic 9* Project X 7A3
Epic 15* Diamana D+ 80X
Epic 18* PROJECT X HZRDUS BLACK 85 6.0 TIPPED 1/2"
APEX 23* PROJECT X HZRDUS BLACK 85 6.0 TIPPED 1/2"
X-Forged 5-P Steelfiber i110 X

• 11 months later...

Question - do they hand bend their clubs to spec? Got a spec sheet from Club Champion for my irons and I can probably save $600-800 buying on tgw.com or somewhere else that'll source from OEM but want to know that there'll be some TLC in the customizations I need.

They're drop shipped from the manufacturer, who will take care of the customizations.

Question - do they hand bend their clubs to spec? Got a spec sheet from Club Champion for my irons and I can probably save $600-800 buying on tgw.com or somewhere else that'll source from OEM but want to know that there'll be some TLC in the customizations I need.

They're drop shipped from the manufacturer, who will take care of the customizations.

lol that basically means no

Custom mods from manufacturers are all over the place in my experience

Yadi for President