2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Sam's guess at Hogan's secret...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the beauty of supination IF you can do it.It rolls the left wrist into a square position at impact.If you roll the wrist over to square the face,then it becomes a crap shoot.You could leave the face open or shut it too much.

Supination is not easy to do though.To test if you can do it take your 9 iron and then deloft it into a 7 or even a 6 without having to cheat by putting the ball back in your stance.

A little confused here. Supination is defined as rotating the forearm/hand so the palm faces the sky when extended or forward when at one's side. In the pic below on the right, Mr. H has NOT done that, rather his left palm is facing away from the target and not towards the camera. I think he is "trying" to supinate the left but the right hand is preventing or slowing that from happening. That's why I think Sam is talking about the right hand.

As far as turning a 9i into a 7i, isn't that done with palmar flexion of the left wrist? You can supinate the left hand/forearm, but if the left wrist is in dorsi flexion, you can have a real mess on your hands ... just like the fella on the left!

MrHrelease-comparison.jpg

[quote name='moehogan' timestamp='1316263462' post='3570060']

A little confused here. Supination is defined as rotating the forearm/hand so the palm faces the sky when extended or forward when at one's side. In the pic below on the right, Mr. H has NOT done that, rather his left palm is facing away from the target and not towards the camera. I think he is "trying" to supinate the left but the right hand is preventing or slowing that from happening. That's why I think Sam is talking about the right hand.

As far as turning a 9i into a 7i, isn't that done with palmar flexion of the left wrist? You can supinate the left hand/forearm, but if the left wrist is in dorsi flexion, you can have a real mess on your hands ... just like the fella on the left!

[
[/quote]

Moehogan: Please go to the mirror and get face on view to yourself. Put Your upper hand to the grip so that it's in max ulnar deviation position and place the thumb just on the shaft. You got a weak looking grip, right? Now take Your nomad posture so You let little angle exist there on the wrist and what You see.... it should be looking like normal neutral grip "V" pointing to Your back shoulder about.

Now do the same at impact position. So rise up Your front shoulder, get full extension to the left arm and lot of UD to that wrist. What You get? Rised wrist bone and bowed front wrist. It will look exactly ilk in %L picture.

[quote name='TeeAce' timestamp='1316266069' post='3570110']
[quote name='moehogan' timestamp='1316263462' post='3570060']

[
[/quote]

Moehogan: Please go to the mirror and get face on view to yourself. Put Your upper hand to the grip so that it's in max ulnar deviation position and place the thumb just on the shaft. You got a weak looking grip, right? Now take Your nomad posture so You let little angle exist there on the wrist and what You see.... it should be looking like normal neutral grip "V" pointing to Your back shoulder about.

Now do the same at impact position. So rise up Your front shoulder, get full extension to the left arm and lot of UD to that wrist. What You get? Rised wrist bone and bowed front wrist. It will look exactly ilk in %L picture.
[/quote]

Exactly. What I was mumbling about re no need for conscious uncupping. The unccck/UD will make it happen. Can't do it this way if you don't let left wrist UD at setup, otherwise you'll hit it fat/behind the ball, or you compensate by avoiding full UD (and hence flat/bowed wrist) at impact resulting to flip/dorsi-flexion.

[

T,

I understand the importance and effect of UD and extension, but isn't there still an element of rotation involved here? Simply releasing PA#2 and not PA#3 will not get you there. Then the question becomes how to regulate or limit the rotation while applying the force of "three right hands" and "hitting hard with both hands".

Consider "trying" to supinate BOTH forearms/hands while applying full UD. I think that's what Sam was talking about. Look at Moe exaggerating the right arm supination below ...

moenorman.jpg

Consider "trying" to supinate BOTH forearms/hands while applying full UD. I think that's what Sam was talking about. Look at Moe exaggerating the right arm supination below ...

moenorman.jpg

Have said few times something about opening arms triangle and keeping right elbow in ;D

And Yes... when I wrote about steering two directions at same time, it's about same. Right rotates the face open and left elbow rotates as closing it.

And that is something that will totally ruins some weekend golfers game and maybe even some better if they don't learn it early enough. There is good way to have elements of that and achieve good enough ball striking to win majors, but we as Hogan fans and instructors need to understand also that move what mr Hogan did.

moenorman.jpg

Have said few times something about opening arms triangle and keeping right elbow in ;D

And Yes... when I wrote about steering two directions at same time, it's about same. Right rotates the face open and left elbow rotates as closing it.

And that is something that will totally ruins some weekend golfers game and maybe even some better if they don't learn it early enough. There is good way to have elements of that and achieve good enough ball striking to win majors, but we as Hogan fans and instructors need to understand also that move what mr Hogan did.

Thanks, T. I also have put this out there several times ... glad someone half-way agrees. LOL.

[quote name='TeeAce' timestamp='1316257010' post='3569979']
[quote name='dap' timestamp='1316254992' post='3569967']
[quote name='TeeAce' timestamp='1316246963' post='3569931']
[quote name='dap' timestamp='1316234999' post='3569796']
That's the beauty of supination IF you can do it.It rolls the left wrist into a square position at impact.If you roll the wrist over to square the face,then it becomes a crap shoot.You could leave the face open or shut it too much.

Supination is not easy to do though.To test if you can do it take your 9 iron and then deloft it into a 7 or even a 6 without having to cheat by putting the ball back in your stance.
[/quote]

Supination is most easy thing to do if You really talk about supination (forearm rotation outwards)

Even the "supinated position" is really easy to find at impact if You just know what to do.

How many from this forum has really put themselves to Hogans impact position and made clear for themselves what kind of moves are needed and where to get it done? There is many ways to get near but not too many when everything is at the right position. When once learned that, it could be possible to find out those opposite moves that makes it happen. That's not hard to do but when trying to achieve it with full speed.... another story. But for understanding.. that's crucial
[/quote]
Of course it's easy to do if you just pose it.But we don't pose when we play golf.

The reason why supination(delofting) is hard to do is because the hands and wrists are simply not strong enough to do it by themselves.You need the pivot participation of someone like Hogan to do it.That's the reason why delofting is easier with a PW than it is with a 4 iron.The clubhead speed is less and the hands may be strong enough to do it without a lot of pivot participation.Get to the driver and you can almost forget about supination.
[/quote]

Supination doesn't mean delofting and IMO it has been one of the greatest misunderstandings in many ways. Thats why I asked if someone has put them [b]exactly[/b] to Hogans impact position and really understands what has happened there and what are the moves to get there from transition.

So the supination is pure rotation of forearm and got nothing to do with bowed wrist, but can have some connection to Bertrand's left elbow move. Bowed left wrist can be made by palmar flexion, and I thought few months ago that it was the way it happened, but one thread here with comments of Fats changed my mind and I think I understood how it really was done. And it really opened my eyes also to Hogans grip that looked weak even when it wasn't.

The funny part is that Hogan really made mistake when using word "left wrist starts to supinate" because it went to ulnar deviation at that point and that's something I've heard no one talking about. He talked about rises wrist bone, and that can't be made by supination or palmar flexion. That also can't be done by ulnar deviation alone, but when You put together real supination and UD, You will get that position. That is for me best move to avoid face closing without loosing any power. All other mentioned moves throws the ch outside of the hands and closes it, but this combination keeps it in and open no matter how strongly You do it.
[/quote]
I think you are making it more complicated than it really is.You might be right but Hogan hit a low ball and he copied the wrist action of his friend Jimmy Demaret who hit an even lower ball.Hogan described Demaret as lashing at the ball with the back of his left hand and this absolutely guaranteed ball before ground contact.

There is definitely a correlation with supinating and low piercing shots.The opposite of supinating is pronating which is the same as a flip or adding loft which is what the Hogan imposter is doing.You see it all the time at driving ranges.High,weak trajectories.

You can talk about ulnar deviation and palmer flexion all you want but the practical way to learn that move is to practice delofting shots without cheating in my opinion.

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1316275470' post='3570310']
[
There is definitely a correlation with supinating and low piercing shots.The opposite of supinating is pronating which is the same as a flip or adding loft which is what the Hogan imposter is doing.You see it all the time at driving ranges.High,weak trajectories.

You can talk about ulnar deviation and palmer flexion all you want but the practical way to learn that move is to practice delofting shots without cheating in my opinion.
[/quote]

The problem is that You are using wrong there as well as Hogan did. Pronating has nothing to do with flipping, dorsi flexion has.

So supination only closes the cf and pronating opens it. Nothing to do with flipping or delofting.

[quote name='TeeAce' timestamp='1316278910' post='3570386']
[quote name='dap' timestamp='1316275470' post='3570310']
[

[/quote]

The problem is that You are using wrong there as well as Hogan did. Pronating has nothing to do with flipping, dorsi flexion has.

So supination only closes the cf and pronating opens it. Nothing to do with flipping or delofting.
[/quote]
I'm open to learning but I learn better by pictures and videos.Have you got some videos,pics or diagrams you can highlight the differences between pronating and dorsi flexion?

Are you also suggesting you can supinate like Hogan,Demaret and Pampling and still hit a high ball and that supination has got nothing to do with delofting?All those three players are low ball hitters.I think it's more than just a coincidence.Perhaps the way you supinate is not the same as these players.

[quote name='grahler' timestamp='1316279275' post='3570393']
+1

Tee,

If Hogan did do the double supination what was the sequence? Seems to me the right side does it more at the top down and the left happens much later-just prior to impact. Or are you saying its both at same time?
[/quote]

I think You are right. But it can still be more complicated and that's why I about never talk about these things when teaching. I see them and try to find things player gets to that direction without knowing all this, because it will confuse a lot.

What I think is something like that with left arm:

When abut half way down the left palm is pointing about to the ground and left elbow quite much outside of the target line. Right elbow has drooped well under left and triangle is opened as much as possible and shaft flattened. At that point wrists start to go to UD position and what that makes to the left elbow? It turns that elbow also pointing down and when You add strong pivot there, You will get what Tom Bertrand is talking about left elbow move. So everything goes with everything and human body is always depended of other moves near the joint what we are following. So we need to put a tension to the whole arm and understand how it works and what is made and what just happens.

dap: find pictures of supination from wiki or by google and You see it's pure rotation of the arm. Nothing to do with the bowed wrist.

Tee,I'm sure you are correct from a human anatomy point of view.Purely bending or bowing the left wrist does not deloft or add loft but this is not a human anatomy forum.

In golf technique,the act of supinating or bowing the left wrist helps to achieve more forward shaft lean which does deloft the clubface.I'm pretty sure Hogan,Demaret or Pampling could care less about the words palmar flexion or dorsi flexion.If you mentioned these words to them they would run the heck away.

It's good to talk about in forums though because it shows you have a big brain.LOL

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1316281212' post='3570429']
Tee,I'm sure you are correct from a human anatomy point of view.Purely bending or bowing the left wrist does not deloft or add loft but this is not a human anatomy forum.

In golf technique,the act of supinating or bowing the left wrist helps to achieve more forward shaft lean which does deloft the clubface.I'm pretty sure Hogan,Demaret or Pampling could care less about the words palmar flexion or dorsi flexion.If you mentioned these words to them they would run the heck away.

It's good to talk about in forums though because it shows you have a big brain.LOL
[/quote]

I try once more ;)

Bowing the left wrist is delofting the club, but that got nothing to do with supination. Hogan used wrong terms for those moves and that's confusing those who use right terms. And after that everyone is confused, because some use right terms and some use Hogans terms.

Lift Your left arm to shoulder level at front of You and turn the palm facing down and thumb away from the target. Now without any other move rotate the palm to the sky and thumb point in to the target. That is supination and You see it got nothing to do with bowed wrist.

Next put the hand so that thumb is pointing up and palm away from the target. Then flex Your wrist so that Your fingers turns to point Your nose and thumb still up. Thats palmar flexion. And the opposite is dorsal flexion. If You from that original posture turn fingers pointing down without any arm rotation, thats ulnar deviation.

Simplest thing, Dap supination is rotation-has nothing to do with palmar flexion.

I feel like if your grip is like Hogan's and you move the club on a decent plane without casting from the top you are automatically gonna be like this at impact. I don't find it difficult to do. For me the hard part is the arms triangle opening Tee talks about and has showed with Alvaro Quiros-I think Gary Woodland also has this move. I use the Hogan style grip and I rotate nicely through impact but that opening the arms triangle is so against what my instinct wants to do.
Hogans move in transition is really really counterintuitive to me. It takes a lot of coordination I think.

Hogan was a well coordinated dude.

Ok,I suppose Hogan used the wrong word from a purely anatomical point of view.Supination then has got nothing to do with the wrist.It's the rotation of the forearms.

I am not really interested in human anatomy though.I prefer golf technique.How about we discuss what is happening when Hogan,Demaret and Pampling "supinate" to hit a low piercing shot?

[quote name='grahler' timestamp='1316279275' post='3570393']
+1

Tee,

If Hogan did do the double supination what was the sequence? Seems to me the right side does it more at the top down and the left happens much later-just prior to impact. Or are you saying its both at same time?
[/quote]
Sorry to jump in here, Grahler, but I think you you nailed it.

Supinating the right hand/forearm from the top all the way past impact. This promotes the elbow joint moving CLOSER to the torso and thus aids in maintaining pitch elbow. You "try" to supinate the left coming into impact ... how hard you try and how much pressure you apply to keep the right arm supination determines the amount of clubface closure.

You have to experiment and develop your own "calibration" ... got to keep it tuned also. Like I said before, you primarily use the middle two finger for the right hand and the last three fingers for the left ... the pressure points prescribed in Five Lessons.

Something else to consider ... ever wonder why Mr. H used a modified Vardon grip where he placed his right baby finger in a space made between his left index and left middle finger instead of resting it on top of his left index finger? Don't actually know if he used it this way, but the push/pull between the right little finger and the middle knuckle of the left index finger provides a linkage and a leverage point to help manage the opposing forces of the hands. Especially when the left starts it's supination attempt.

[quote name='grahler' timestamp='1316282998' post='3570465']
Simplest thing, Dap supination is rotation-has nothing to do with palmar flexion.

I feel like if your grip is like Hogan's and you move the club on a decent plane without casting from the top you are automatically gonna be like this at impact. I don't find it difficult to do. For me the hard part is the arms triangle opening Tee talks about and has showed with Alvaro Quiros-I think Gary Woodland also has this move. I use the Hogan style grip and I rotate nicely through impact but that opening the arms triangle is so against what my instinct wants to do.
Hogans move in transition is really really counterintuitive to me. It takes a lot of coordination I think.

[/quote]
I think if you find early videos of Hogan or Quiros they would already have this "opening" move.They had it from the first time they picked up a club or soon after.If you don't have it now,then it's gonna be a b**** to learn.

As for delofting,it's not easy for everyone.We can all deloft a little but I saw a guy many years ago hitting an iron from the second storey of the driving range.He was hitting bullets with a fairly flat trajectory towards a ball collecting cart 180 yards away that was below the level of his feet.If he were hitting those shots on level ground they would have been no more than a few feet in the air.That is delofting.Needless to say an audience grew to watch him.The guy driving the cart didn't look please either.

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1316284318' post='3570488']
[quote name='grahler' timestamp='1316282998' post='3570465']

[/quote]
I think if you find early videos of Hogan or Quiros they would already have this "opening" move.They had it from the first time they picked up a club or soon after.If you don't have it now,then it's gonna be a b**** to learn.

As for delofting,it's not easy for everyone.We can all deloft a little but I saw a guy many years ago hitting an iron from the second storey of the driving range.He was hitting bullets with a fairly flat trajectory towards a ball collecting cart 180 yards away that was below the level of his feet.If he were hitting those shots on level ground they would have been no more than a few feet in the air.That is delofting.Needless to say an audience grew to watch him.
[/quote]

Actually delofting is not difficult. It comes difficult, because 99% of players hit duck hooks when they try it and then they sot to do it.

The most difficult thing is to delft and hit a fade. And I think that was Hogans secret at those days. Nowadays many players have found their way to manage that and many of them using their hands like Hogan did. They are not maybe have so great pivot or they miss something else, but they have found their own secret by hand action to get it done

[quote name='TeeAce' timestamp='1316280408' post='3570419']
dap: find pictures of supination from wiki or by google and You see it's pure rotation of the arm. Nothing to do with the bowed wrist.
[/quote]

Correct in the vacuum of isolated movement but wrong as wrong in dynamic action ... in particular the golf swing.

Two muscles supinated the forearm - Biceps Brachii and the supinator (longus and brevis). Primary mover for supination with a flexed elbow is the Biceps Brachii. Whereas the supinators become more active while the Biceps Brachii diminish in use by about 40% when supinating with an extended elbow.

I know this thru EMG studies during a golf swing - mine and few college players who volunteered.

Although neither of these actions move the wrist into either dorsiflexion or plantarflexion each share fascia and connective sheathes with the long wrist extensors and flexors. Supination of the lead arm (straight) will pull on the flexors on the palmar (untanned side) of the forearm and allow for a relaxed extensor mechanism giving you an easier time to bow the lead wrist with a CP release.

If one was to supinate the trailing bent arm the Biceps Brachii is the primary mover overlapping the muscle belly and originating fascial articulation of the wrist extensors giving a mechanical tug and allowing for a relaxed wrist flexor mechanism. Bowed lead wrist and dorsiflexed bottom hand.

Now I have no idea what Hogan did consciously, and maybe everyone is giving him too much credit for and the intricacies of kinesiology. I do know that sweeping the ball with the palm of my left (trailing for me) hand has begun to yield penetrating little cuts with every club. Am I supinating both arms ? I don't know. My thoughts are just to not core stall and not allow a crossover release.

golow(TM)

Bit late, but thinking Snead had some special insight because he was a competitor of Hogan's is flawed. I don't think they were close, their personalities sure were different, I don't see why Hogan would give the goods to Snead. It's safe to assume he truly was "guessing" and as someone who was a "natural" and not much of a technician, I'd discount his opinion versus others. Snead's swing sure was sloppy compared to Hogan, look at the footwork, yuck ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjEJgC5nYXw&feature=related

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1316309610' post='3571062']
Bit late, but thinking Snead had some special insight because he was a competitor of Hogan's is flawed. I don't think they were close, their personalities sure were different, I don't see why Hogan would give the goods to Snead. It's safe to assume he truly was "guessing" and as someone who was a "natural" and not much of a technician, I'd discount his opinion versus others. Snead's swing sure was sloppy compared to Hogan, look at the footwork, yuck ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjEJgC5nYXw&feature=related
[/quote]
JD,

I agree that they were not particularly close and Mr. H had no reason to spill the beans to Sam. But I think you are selling ol' Sam too short ... he was dumb like a fox! He also played a lot of golf with Mr. H, pre AND post secret. He certainly was in a position to see any changes Mr. H made ... and they watched each other like hawks.

And be careful dissin' Sam's swing ... those morad boys will cut ya! LOL.

[quote name='golow' timestamp='1316305036' post='3570942']
[quote name='TeeAce' timestamp='1316280408' post='3570419']
[/quote]

Correct in the vacuum of isolated movement but wrong as wrong in dynamic action ... in particular the golf swing.

golow(TM)
[/quote]
That's pretty much what I have been trying to say.Lets discuss Hogan's "supination" move as it relates to the full dynamic motion and not pure anatomical motions in isolation.

The golf swing is not as simple as dorsi flex this,ulnar deviate that and voila you have a low penetrating fade.

I can see it now.PHD Physicist with a background in human anatomy wins the US Open with a lab developed power fade.LOL

[quote name='natep' timestamp='1316301359' post='3570869']
I've always found it odd that Hogan uses the term "pronation" correctly in the 1955 Life article, but incorrectly two years later in 5 Lessons. Makes me wonder just how much of the writing was done by Hogan, and how much by Wind.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, this is a common misconception of people who read 5L. If you read it very carefully it is clear that Mr. Hogan knew the precise definition of supination and used it in the text exactly as he intended and correctly. But the reader often confuses this with "raised left wrist bone" comment which was thrown into the same section. He's describing two different things, one an action (supination) and the other a position. Here's the main part of the text from pg. 100-101:

[quote]During this climactic part of the swing, the left wrist and the back of the left hand begin to supinate very slightly—that is, [b]to turn from a position where the palm is down to a position where the palm is up.[/b] They continue to supinate throughout the rest of the swing. The sequence drawings below will describe the exact nature of this gradual supination much more clearly than words can.
In the sequence below, there is one position of such signal importance that it warrants closeup study. This is the position of the left wrist and hand at the actual moment of impact.

AT IMPACT THE BACK OF THE LEFT HAND FACES TOWARD YOUR TARGET. THE WRIST-BONE IS DEFINITELY RAISED. IT POINTS TO THE TARGET AND, AT THE MOMENT THE BALL IS CONTACTED, IT IS OUT IN FRONT, NEARER TO THE TARGET THAN ANY PART OF THE HAND. When the left wrist is in this position, the left hand will not check or interrupt the speed with which your clubhead is traveling. There’s no danger either that the right hand will overpower the left and twist the club over. It can’t. As far as applying power goes, I wish that I had three right hands!
[b][i]Every good golfer has his left wrist in this supinating position at impact[/i].[/b] Every poor golfer does the exact reverse. As his club comes into the ball, he starts to pronate the left wrist—to turn it so that the palm will be facing down.[/quote]

So he did use the term correctly but created confusion with the italicized & bolded part.