2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Comparing hogan jack tiger

xgolfx

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1328041180' post='4186227']
right now? he's at 44.75 inches....even tried one for a bit that was 45.5 inches...but was too wild so went back to 44.75.

Had 44.5 for a long time.
[/quote]

Just my 2 cents...was MOI-matching my driver to my already MOI-matched set of irons and I discovered that my driver at 45 inches has too much swing weight/MOI. Explains why with exactly same swing, my driver hits the ball right, push rights. The face isn't closing at the same rate.

When I cut it to 44.5 inches, the MOI is still more than the moi of my irons, but now very close. I now hit it straighter with sometimes slight acceptable pushes.

This also explains why Hogan can afford to have super heavy driver. It's only 43 inches, so the extra weight won't make the MOI go higher than he wants compared to his irons. So he didn't have to change his driver swing compared to irons swing that much to compensate for extra MOI.

However, I lost around 15 yards....lol. Darn... That's a lot, one club difference.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a fan of a heavy driver. E0 for me. Any idea what Hogan's driver swingweight was?

I'm sure he was swinging a sledgehammer! Boom!

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1328128873' post='4192887']
I'm a fan of a heavy driver. E0 for me. Any idea what Hogan's driver swingweight was?

[/quote]

In his book, Vasquez says its D2.5. Don't know the actual weight though.

Yours is E0? Can you explain the effects on your swing? What can you do now, what can't you do if not that SW-heavy?

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1328180985' post='4196325']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1328128873' post='4192887']

[/quote]

In his book, Vasquez says its D2.5. Don't know the actual weight though.

Yours is E0? Can you explain the effects on your swing? What can you do now, what can't you do if not that SW-heavy?
[/quote]

Just feel it better. I like my tennis rackets heavy, and same with my clubs. When the clubs aren't very high swingweight it feels like a toothpick and i'm all over the place.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1319811286' post='3731041']
Beast is right. Look at the driver swing! Has to be most "animalistic" I've seen from a pro. Great action !

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI-qQhMQZMo&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player[/url]
[/quote]

Off topic, but with the big turn, wide arc, left heel up, does that video remind anyone else of Bubba?

• 3 months later...

JD3 funny you use the word "animalistic".
watching 1977 Open Championship recently,
Nicklaus in 6 inch lush green rough on far right of 18th fairway after a driver off the tee.
Watson already inside 2 feet and one shot ahead.
Commentator expressing grave doubts about Nicklaus's ability to progress the ball very far.
Jack smashes it and it finds the green just.
Commentator is aghast and says "That's the most animalistic golf swing I have ever seen".
Sounds great when you hear it from one of those old school British commentators.

[quote name='XJared' timestamp='1328496708' post='4221183']
[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1319811286' post='3731041']
Beast is right. Look at the driver swing! Has to be most "animalistic" I've seen from a pro. Great action !

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI-qQhMQZMo&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player[/url]
[/quote]

Off topic, but with the big turn, wide arc, left heel up, does that video remind anyone else of Bubba?
[/quote]

It's more like...Bubba's loosey goosey pounding the ball swing kinda reminds me of jack!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

Jack had the best career no doubt, consistency, longevity, always in contention. Tiger will end his career with more total tour victories than Jack, but Jack played a very limited schedule most of his career, passing Sneads record for total wins did not seem to be on his radar, majors did. My guess is Tiger will eventually pass Sneads record of total victories and end his career with around 90 wins, which of course would be impressive.

Tiger from late 1999 through 2001 was probably better but Tiger's career has been up and down, peaks and valleys, the only way Tiger surpasses Jack in majors is if he has one more BIG peak. Hogan in 1953 was probably better than Jack, as well as Hogan right before the accident. Nelson in '45 probably had the best season ever, as well as Jones in 1930.

All time winning percentage is not relevant to this conversation IMO, Jack played many tournaments later in his career more for nostalgia, Tiger's winning percentage is dropping, and will continue to do so for the next 10 -20 years or so. Fact of the matter is many golfers played at Jack's level from time to time, but Jack did it for 20 years, really from the mid sixties till the early 80's then the Masters in '86. He also contended in majors into his 50's.

Tiger still has a chance BUT right now he just looks like one of the best 25 current players in the world, not one of the top 2 of all-time.

[b]Tiger is competing against more GOOD players than Jack, Jack competed against more GREAT players than Tiger.[/b]

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

More depth and good players will lessen the number of "great" players.

Guys like Trevino,Watson and Ballesteros might have 2 or 3 less major wins because they were taken away by a good player having a hot week.Even Jack might have had a few majors stolen.

Players like Mickelson,Singh and Harrington might have been "great" players if they played in Jack's era.

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1337481414' post='4944240']

Guys like Trevino,Watson and Ballesteros might have 2 or 3 less major wins because they were taken away by a good player having a hot week.Even Jack might have had a few majors stolen.

Players like Mickelson,Singh and Harrington might have been "great" players if they played in Jack's era.
[/quote]

good point dap. I agree.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1337720611' post='4960052']

[/quote]

good point dap. I agree.
[/quote]
Hogan had majors taken from him by Nelson and Sneed..and vice versa.
Palmer had majors taken from him by Jack and Casper
Jack had majors taken from him by Trevino and Watson
Norman had majors taken from him by everyone

One could make the argument that players like Weiskopf would have been better in todays game not having to deal with the likes of Jack, Lee,
Player, Miller etc.

It comes down to ....do you know how to win or not? the all-time greats know how to win.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1337722992' post='4960294']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1337720611' post='4960052']

[/quote]

good point dap. I agree.
[/quote]
Hogan had majors taken from him by Nelson and Sneed..and vice versa.
Palmer had majors taken from him by Jack and Casper
Jack had majors taken from him by Trevino and Watson
Norman had majors taken from him by everyone

One could make the argument that players like Weiskopf would have been better in todays game not having to deal with the likes of Jack, Lee,
Player, Miller etc.

It comes down to ....do you know how to win or not? the all-time greats know how to win.
[/quote]

yap, also true.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Several Years ago Golf Magazine did an article naming the 10 greatest players of all time. Of five listed, Palmer, Casper, Player, Trevino, and Watson, Nicklaus played against all of them in the respective Primes. Tiger Woods has played against none of the listed players. Even if Tiger were to pass Jack's major championship total, you need to consider the competition. Jack is the mnan.

Steve

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1355497912' post='6067823']
Several Years ago Golf Magazine did an article naming the 10 greatest players of all time. Of five listed, Palmer, Casper, Player, Trevino, and Watson, Nicklaus played against all of them in the respective Primes. Tiger Woods has played against none of the listed players. Even if Tiger were to pass Jack's major championship total, you need to consider the competition. Jack is the mnan.

Steve
[/quote]

Why do you think that is? The fields being as deep as ever..you'd think it's harder to seperate yourself from the pack and so the love gets spread out more? Where 9 majors back then is like 4-5 today? What do you think?

Is/Was tiger that good or is it just that they don't make em like they used to?

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

tembolo:

My guess is that the money distribution on the modern tour allows too many guys to make a great deal of money without even winning ordinary events, much less majors or multiple majors. In Jack's prime you had to be a winner even a major winner to make much more than a successful car salesman. That produced more tough hard guys who could win. Just a guess though.

Steve

Deeper fields of today making Tiger greater, or more multiple major champions as direct competitors making Jack greater? Although I believe it to be the former, it is, in the end, a chicken or the egg question. Because, while the latter may be true, it could also be shallower fields making it easier to win majors.

One thing though, we can try to look at it from a stats perspective. And one interesting look is if we were to take the single most important metric to measure a golfer's ability, it would be GIR. And if we look at the GIR numbers from when they first started tracking them (1980), we can see that the top tier players in terms of GIR have performed more or less the same, every year coming in at right around 70%-72%. It is probably reasonable to assume, given 30 years of data, that this is the pattern we would see going back further than 1980, that the ceiling for GIR is right around 72%.

The thing is, if it is a given that today's fields are in fact deeper, the question is, were those elite players that Jack faced in fact "greater" than those faced by Tiger? Not according to GIR, which implies that in terms of golfing ability they were pretty much on par with today's elite players.

Not a perfect analysis, but food for thought.....

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

nice post geesecougar2. I'm also curious if putts per green in regulation has changed much over time...particularly with the greens being so diff over time.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1355865411' post='6087467']
nice post geesecougar2. I'm also curious if putts per green in regulation has changed much over time...particularly with the greens being so diff over time.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's a problem because GIR putting stats only go back to 2002. If there were more stats available going further back we could probably arrive at a more definitive answer. However it is amazing how many greens Jack hit even into the tail end of his career.

But at the end of the day, I think any player on the Mt. Rushmore of golf (Jones, Hogan, Nicklaus, Woods) can beat any other player on Mt. Rushmore on any given Sunday. Like I said earlier in the thread, it probably comes down to course, weather, setup, and luck (namely, draining bombs and holing pitches). I mean, isn't it pointless to ask whether Alexander or Genghis Khan was the greater conquerer, or whether Augustus or Charlemagne was the greater emperor?

But for now, I will defer to the words of the great Billy Casper:

[url="http://youtu.be/JtUjBHFM7uQ?t=1m34s"]http://youtu.be/JtUjBHFM7uQ?t=1m34s[/url]

Edit: Embedding not working but Casper speaks at 1:34

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1355850052' post='6086151']
I always wonder why Nelson retired so damn early.
[/quote]

As far as I've read, his lifelong dream was to have a ranch and golf was very much a way to finance the dream. Unlike Hogan, he wasn't a big practicer and didn't thrive on the competition and grind of the tour. In fact, he always fought nerves & a nervous stomach in particular. Once he had enough money, it was time to move on, buy the land and cattle and, with his wife by his side, become successful at ranching as well.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

So I read this thread again...Jack is still the Man. Hehe.

Tried to slap around some persimmon heads with balata today. I sucked. Jack meanwhile is carrying it 300 yards with one.

Don't I feel like a loser.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1356040973' post='6097401']
So I read this thread again...Jack is still the Man. Hehe.

Tried to slap around some persimmon heads with balata today. I sucked. Jack meanwhile is carrying it 300 yards with one.

Don't I feel like a loser.
[/quote]

Ah, but losers don't shoot par for 9 holes & you did; nice! I have a feeling next time there'll be even more MacGregor & Texan swings taken (and I'll try and hold up my end a bit better).

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon