2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

[quote name='Redsoxfan' timestamp='1361117097' post='6445069']
[quote name='snakesnot' timestamp='1361112866' post='6444637']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1328103707' post='4190703']
A number of gentlemen at my practice my facility still play the Eye 2's. All of them a single digits. All say they haven't found anything better.
[/quote]
Bet they have never tried. Most old men get cheap in their later golf years. You know there is something better than Eye 2's., like just about any modern club.
[/quote]

Please have some respect and do not use the word "OLD MEN".......The only thing better out there is you learning that you to will grow old some day.....
[/quote]
To some I am an old man (54).

I've probably hit 20-25 buckets of balls with my Eye2's plus 3 virtual rounds. I really don't see how they are any worse then the new Pings out there. I literally have a set of G10's and G15's in my closet that i can hit them next to. Other then the differences in flight you'd expect given the difference in weighting, there's really no difference for me. Feels the same. Well hit balls go where i aim....Eye2's are less forgiving but they are also smaller and have thinner toplines and soles

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='snakesnot' timestamp='1361149109' post='6448189']
[quote name='Redsoxfan' timestamp='1361117097' post='6445069']
[quote name='snakesnot' timestamp='1361112866' post='6444637']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1328103707' post='4190703']
A number of gentlemen at my practice my facility still play the Eye 2's. All of them a single digits. All say they haven't found anything better.
[/quote]
Bet they have never tried. Most old men get cheap in their later golf years. You know there is something better than Eye 2's., like just about any modern club.
[/quote]

Please have some respect and do not use the word "OLD MEN".......The only thing better out there is you learning that you to will grow old some day.....
[/quote]
To some I am an old man (54).
[/quote]

I remember when 54 seemed old. No longer, I'm 58.

I'm pulling my eye 2's out of the closet and will play them tomorrow. I hope my old friends are good to me. ;)

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Now I remember why the Eye 2's were in the closet. Too easy to hook for me. Back in the closet they go.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

I am just now switching back to Ping Eye 2's. I played them up until this last season. Last year I tried Titliest 704 CB and Ping G5's. I liked both sets but hated having a gap wedge. Much perfer the weaker lofts of Ping Eye 2's. I have MUCH better distance control. So I just picked up a mint set of Ping Eye 2's 3-LW, green dot with zz-lite shafts. Just went to range today and it was automatic, like ridin a bike.

I guess we are just meant to be.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

I sold my Ping S59 Blades recently and went back to a 3-PW set of Ping Eye 2+. With working and going to school (both full time) I can't get to the range enough to stay on point with the blades. But the Eye 2+'s, are like sitting in your favorite spot on the couch. And I don't have to hit them every week to have a nice stroke with them. I just changed out the KT shafts for a set of ZZ-Lites from pingeye. Regripped with Golf Prides and now ready to go. I have modern wedges, new odyssey putter, X-Hot Pro Driver, and old school irons. I don't care how they look or what people think about them. The best set of irons I have played.

Cobra LTDx 9°, Ventus Black 7X
Cobra Radspeed Big-Tour 3-Wood, Fujikura Motore X F1

Callaway Mavrik 5-Wood, Project-X HZRDUS 6.0

Callaway 2024 Apex CB 4-PW, KBS Tour $-Taper 120

Titleist Vokey SM9 50°, 12° Bounce
Titleist Vokey SM9 54° S-Grind, 10° Bounce
Titleist Vokey SM9 60° M-Grind, 8° Bounce
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport Plus

• 1 month later...

Just purchased a never hit 1-LW, matching serial number set of Ping Eye 2 + "no +" black dot set with ZZ-Lites. After reading this thread I'm debating whether to hit them or just collect them.

I'm leaning towards hitting them! :)

Ping G430 Max 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 569
TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° | UST Mamiya ProForce 65

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 18° | Mitsubishi Kai'li Red 65

Srixon ZX MKII 22° & 25° | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL 6-GW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 95
Cleveland CBX2 54° & 58° | Rotex 90
PXG Battle Ready M16 Bat Attack

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

Used mine today, hit some great shots, had a nice round going until the last few greens. Not their fault that I can't putt...

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Diamana Kai'li-R
Ping G15 4 Wood 17* Serrano 75-R
Ping G25 20* Hybrid TFC189-R
Ping Anser 23* Hybrid TFC800H-R
Ping i25 4,5,6 / S55 7-W CFS-R
Ping Glide SS 50* CFS-W
Ping Glide ES 56* CFS-W
Ping Anser G2
Golf Pride CP2 Wraps
Yellow Trusoft / Elite 50

[quote name='schlebrock' timestamp='1367189685' post='6933615']
Just purchased a never hit 1-LW, matching serial number set of Ping Eye 2 + "no +" black dot set with ZZ-Lites. After reading this thread I'm debating whether to hit them or just collect them.

[/quote]

Problem is you can find used sets on ebay for cheap that will play as well as the new set. I'd lean toward hitting them too, but it's not the best financial decision.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1367192711' post='6933877']

[/quote]

Problem is you can find used sets on ebay for cheap that will play as well as the new set. I'd lean toward hitting them too, but it's not the best financial decision.
[/quote]

Finances are not a concern but I'm probably going to buy a used single iron or two and see how they hit and then then decide if I want to game them.

I also recently bought a new set of ISI's and Zing 2's and decided to game them too. I just can't look at these old Ping's sitting around in a closet for too long without feeling the urge to play them. Plus my i20's with Recoil's aren't exactly the combo that I hoped they would be so I'm still ho'ing.

Sincere thanks for the input.

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

[/quote]

Hit them!!!

[quote name='WCGC72BE9' timestamp='1367276651' post='6940065']
If the set has never been hit, it is pretty easy and cheap to buy a used set in great shape and use them instead.
[/quote]

Yes but they're used and used can't be as good as new! :)

I have Eye2 BeCus. I love my I20s, but if one set had to go well, I'd have to keep the Eye2s. When I carry a 2 iron it's the BeCu. I also still use the SW on ocassion. In my opinion the Eye 2s were the single greatest, most enduring, playable set of irons created. Thank you Karsten Solheim.
If Ping ever decided to re-make them they'd sell like snow cones in August.

I've dropped the 7 wood out of my bag in hopes of picking up am 18* hybrid soon, and in the meantime, have been playing a Ping Eye 2 2 iron. I can hit that thing straight as an arrow, and actually played in a tournament on a shorter course where I used it off the tee on all the par 5's and 4's. Granted my short game was the worst I've ever seen it, but I only missed one fairway all day. Tomorrow I'll be trying the 1 iron just for kicks.

Interesting timing. Today my buddy called to set up a round for Friday. Said BTW I picked up a set of eye 2's for $150 looks like their barely hit. Original grips, you can have them as I have too many clubs as it is. Thought he would keep them but changed his mind. Played eye 2's before for almost 20 years. Looking forward to having a set back that I will not let go this time.

I decided to put my new (well, at least never hit) Eye 2 plus "no plus" irons in play and they seemed to be very accurate in my first range session. I have a tournament tomorrow so we'll see how they'll do in that type of environment.

Very impressed so far!

• 1 month later...

I had these irons when I was just out of high school! Bought them brand new and played them for 12 years before I wore out the grooves on the 9 & PW. On a whim I picked up a set last week from a member on here and wow, like riding a bike! I've played 2 rounds with them and I'm bagging them for the rest of the summer!! Still a fantastic set of irons that have, for the foreseeable future, benched my I5's!!

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1367192711' post='6933877']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've never really understood the collector mentality outside of the people who really have a thing for the set. I have a thing for the eye 2 but would not buy them outside of market price, depending on the price. It's much too easy to be buying everything under the sun. In my experience, old eye 2's, even new in original package, are just old clubs in good shape. I have and am using a set of eye 2+ that came that way. Curiosity drove some people to make small offers but none enough to outweigh my own desire to play them.

Please also note that only the original eye 2's were grandfathered. Everything else that came after are subject to the current groove rules.

Shambles

• 2 weeks later...

Just took a flyer after reading this thread..... I have owned Ping Eye 2's (5 sets) over the years including my very first back in 1985. Since I sold off 5 sets of modern irons except my current gamers, I was trolling ebay...and last night I found a set 1 though SW ZZ lights in orange. In Canada, great no import charges! shipping reasonable.. 25.00 by Fedex ok..... the irons were at $62. dollars with a couple of hours remaining, Hmmm Hour, 30 minutes, 14 bidders, 20, 10 , 5 with one minute remaining still 62.00 so with 15 seconds left, i posted a maximum bid of 100 hmmm price is now at 66.00 5,4,3,2,1. Sale ends Congratulations please pay for your purchase....... $66.00 Yippeee...... Best purchase I have made in a long time..... can't wait till they arrive.......

Ping G30 9.0 Tour 80X
Ping G25 4W
Ping G30 21 7W Tour 65X
Ping S55 4-PW S400
Ping Eye2 Gorge S, L
Byron Morgan DH89

Have my blue dots and red dots stored away for now. Recently just switched to the VR Pro Combo, so have no use for the ping's.

Taylormade M1 10.5* Aldila Rogue Max 65x
Taylormade M2 Tour 3W Aldila Rogue 110 MSI 70x
Mizuno MP18 (3-PW) X100-TI
Taylormade Milled Grind 52, 56, 60
Taylormade Spider Tour 

Nike Fans: Get Cash Back on Online Purchases
http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=794894"]http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=794894

I can't really comment on Ping Eyes, but about 10 years ago, I bought a set of Karsten 2's ($ 79.95) from 1975, as a second set. They must have been very radical for 1975, being SS cavity back. I play them on a regular basis, and find them to be as good as anything I've ever played, maybe better. My only complaint is that the top edge angles down more than anything else I play. (I don't know the proper term for this.) Looks awkward to me.

I'll never get rid of them. For what I've read, the original price was $ 1,200. That was good used car money in those days. If the Eyes are better, they must really be fantastic.

Still gaming my Eye 2's I picked up on Craigslist last year - matched serial #'s 3-W set with ZZ Lites and a White Ping staff bag for $125.

Seem to be fighting a bit with direction control lately though - my draw has not been as consistent as usual with them. Almost like my eyes and body are fighting with the offset. Never should have gamed that set of FG-17 blades this year. So beautiful, no offset......

Might pull the Cleveland TA6s out of the backup bag at some point as a compromise. However, the Eye2's will be staying around forever, and I fully expect one of my daughters to be playing them one day. Having a GI iron with a narrow sole is money in the dense soil area where I live.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA)