Tiger is lost

square

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1330526296' post='4401889']
Swing looks pretty good. I want to see him putt though...
[/quote]
+1, hopefully he get some comfort out of Florida greens. I'm looking forward to watching the actions tomorrow. On a side note rory hasn't placed better than 18th or something at the Honda, no world number one this week.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mysterymanmarty' timestamp='1330532794' post='4402707']

+1, hopefully he get some comfort out of Florida greens. I'm looking forward to watching the actions tomorrow. On a side note rory hasn't placed better than 18th or something at the Honda, no world number one this week.
[/quote]
I can't go that far. He's a pretty hot golfer now. Past performance (good or bad) is not a predictor or future performance. But I'll tell you what, he needs to keep in in the fairway, or out of the primary cut (all of them do), or they'll be in trouble.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Yea...that swing looks pretty good from Tiger. The problem is, he always looks smooth like that when they show him on the range or in practice rounds...kind of like me :rolleyes:. Its when he gets in the tournament rounds that his tempo looks more rushed. Not so much with the irons but its especially evident with the driver.

[quote name='swbyps' timestamp='1330538473' post='4403509']
Yea...that swing looks pretty good from Tiger. The problem is, he always looks smooth like that when they show him on the range or in practice rounds...kind of like me :rolleyes:. Its when he gets in the tournament rounds that his tempo looks more rushed. Not so much with the irons but its especially evident with the driver.
[/quote]

You and Devil have both made the same point about his tempo. Why do you think he is getting to quick?

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1330538821' post='4403543']
[/quote]

You and Devil have both made the same point about his tempo. Why do you think he is getting to quick?
[/quote]
Simple. Pressure. Under pressue the swing is not holding up. It's in his head. It's not mechanics, path or whatever. It's between his ears.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1330538821' post='4403543']

[/quote]

I think tbowles is right. Of all players, it seems strange to say that the pressure is getting to Tiger Woods, but I think thats basically it. I believe he is putting so much pressure on himself right now to win. Its showed a couple times on sunday when he was in position to win. He didnt play terrible, but the razor sharp edge needed on sunday just wasnt there. Hes hitting it well enough to win now. I think he believes that too...and I think the fact that he isnt coming through in those moments is beginning to get to him. To me, hes always looked like he comes out of his shoes with driver, but some of the iron shots hes hit down the stretch have just been unexplainable. Flying the green with wedges and short irons? Thats just so uncharacteristic. It just strikes me that he is not managing the adrenaline\pressure factors in those moments. Something he use to do probably better than anyone we have ever seen.

[/quote]

+1

Though it does come through with the irons too. Like when he tried to hit a 190 yard 9 iron. His stock 9 iron goes 150... what the hell was he trying to do there? He came up 30 yards short. There's no way a player can keep his tempo swinging a short iron that far. He also tried to hit a 225 yard 7 iron!

[quote name='swbyps' timestamp='1330541173' post='4403867']

I think tbowles is right. Of all players, it seems strange to say that the pressure is getting to Tiger Woods, but I think thats basically it. I believe he is putting so much pressure on himself right now to win. Its showed a couple times on sunday when he was in position to win. He didnt play terrible, but the razor sharp edge needed on sunday just wasnt there. Hes hitting it well enough to win now. I think he believes that too...and I think the fact that he isnt coming through in those moments is beginning to get to him. To me, hes always looked like he comes out of his shoes with driver, but some of the iron shots hes hit down the stretch have just been unexplainable. Flying the green with wedges and short irons? Thats just so uncharacteristic. It just strikes me that he is not managing the adrenaline\pressure factors in those moments. Something he use to do probably better than anyone we have ever seen.
[/quote]

To you or Twbowles, do you think Stevie not being on the bag and being able to reel him in might have something to do with this?
I think Stevie leaving might be the biggest thing we never talk about, but perhaps the most important.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1330541754' post='4403945']

To you or Twbowles, do you think Stevie not being on the bag and being able to reel him in might have something to do with this?
I think Stevie leaving might be the biggest thing we never talk about, but perhaps the most important.
[/quote]
No, Stevie has no bearing on that. In the thread I posted that had the videos I took in 2002, that was during the practice round. I was there for all four rounds following him. His tempo changed and I wondered why he couldn't keep the same tempo he had during the practice round where he was four under. His temp always has changed. The reason he was successful when the pressure was on was because he was 100% comfortable with his swing under pressure because it's been there so many times. He hasn't been under pressure as much with the new swing but like his other swing changes it will come when he has the break through. But the pressure and pressing this times comes from putting as I feel he's very comfortable with the swing but as everybody has played this game, one aspect can mess with another and it's a chain reaction. Confidence, he'll get it back. I have no doubt and I think it will come with a dead solid putter.

[quote name='swbyps' timestamp='1330541173' post='4403867']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Stevie always had that ability to keep him in the moment. They were friends so he could pretty much say what he wanted with no fear of retribution. Joe is a really good caddie, but to me at least, you can tell it's still in the "professional" realm right now. He probably doesn't know him well enough to call him off a shot, or to be totally honest. Stevie had a role that went beyond caddie, for sure, but that's a valid point you brought up. Gotta think about that one.

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1330480198' post='4399183']
[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1330427034' post='4394057']

As always, I come to Golfwrx to learn. When I hear guys talking about a dude on tour, almost 40, who has had nearly a dozen surgeries on his knees, eyes, etc. and then simultaneously hear he is either the most athletic or at worst the 4th most, I find it puzzling.
For the sake of clarity, in your above statement can you detail how you define athleticism, specifically what are the criteria that makes him anywhere from 2-4.
[/quote]

That is my personal opinion, to which I am entitled.

For the sake of clarity, if you would like some kind of quantitative report of athleticism, feel free to take a look:

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2011-09/photos-top-10-tour-athletes#slide=1"]http://www.golfdiges...thletes#slide=1[/url]

That would be the Top 10 Athletes on the PGA as polled by 66 PGA Tour members. I respect their opinions on the matter. The poll places Tiger at #3. Sounds about on par with what I said.

LAWYERED.

Edited to add How I Met Your Mother reference.
[/quote]

Calling TDO ... Calling TDO.

No response?

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1330543580' post='4404205']

[/quote]
Stevie always had that ability to keep him in the moment. They were friends so he could pretty much say what he wanted with no fear of retribution. Joe is a really good caddie, but to me at least, you can tell it's still in the "professional" realm right now. He probably doesn't know him well enough to call him off a shot, or to be totally honest. Stevie had a role that went beyond caddie, for sure, but that's a valid point you brought up. Gotta think about that one.
[/quote]

Again I agree 100% and was about to say basically the same thing. It does look to me like its still very professional. I was wondering if maybe I was just looking for something that wasnt there. The whole thing seems a bit distant at times between them on the course. And ive wondered in moments after a misjudged shot.."would Stevie have made a different call". I dont know..its easy to speculate. I dont think the possibility can be dismissed though. If there want anything to the player\caddy relationship, then guys would just put any old "joe" on the bag. I guess we can expect the relationship to be different, but whether or not its effective is the question.

Am I the only one to notice he is leading this week in driving distence at 308 and T34 in driving accuracy at 64.3 %.

Overall for the year he is 290 at 84th spot, and 72% of fairways? !

Here is the link...but at the same time I can not find it on the stats pages..so confused.

[url="http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/008793/tiger-woods/performance-stats/#uber"]http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/008793/tiger-woods/performance-stats/#uber[/url]

His problem lies in his life, his putting is just displaying it.

[quote name='square' timestamp='1329953455' post='4353505']
I watched Tiger live a few times as a junior player and collegiate.
One of the hallmarks of his technique was a nice tall address posture. This posture promoted a , relaxed shoulder turn and nice efficient pivot (weight transefr). Tiger addressed the ball with that traditional ,textbook technique, since he was a little kid.
Haney messed Tiger up some, but now this fraud Foley has Tiger completely off track. These days Tiger is using a terrible address posture, bending over way too much. All one can do with that bent over posture is hang on the left side and make an ineffective arm swing, which is what Tiger is doing now.
[/quote]

Tell Justin Rose and Hunter Mahan Foley is a fraud. Besides, Tiger's ball striking has been good enough to win - it's his putting that killing him. I personally don't or would not use this type of swing but to say it's fraud or even incorrect is ridiculous. Tiger is maybe the greatest ever as well as a big time student of the golf swing. If he feels Foley has a good swing theory then I'm pretty sure there must be something ok about it. As usual, someone that thinks they know so much more about golf than the man who's won 14 majors, ha ha.

[quote name='Redman' timestamp='1330747609' post='4423937']
One of the hallmarks of his technique was a nice tall address posture. This posture promoted a , relaxed shoulder turn and nice efficient pivot (weight transefr). Tiger addressed the ball with that traditional ,textbook technique, since he was a little kid.
Haney messed Tiger up some, but now this fraud Foley has Tiger completely off track. These days Tiger is using a terrible address posture, bending over way too much. All one can do with that bent over posture is hang on the left side and make an ineffective arm swing, which is what Tiger is doing now.
[/quote]

Tell Justin Rose and Hunter Mahan Foley is a fraud. Besides, Tiger's ball striking has been good enough to win - it's his putting that killing him. I personally don't or would not use this type of swing but to say it's fraud or even incorrect is ridiculous. Tiger is maybe the greatest ever as well as a big time student of the golf swing. If he feels Foley has a good swing theory then I'm pretty sure there must be something ok about it. As usual, someone that thinks they know so much more about golf than the man who's won 14 majors, ha ha.
[/quote]

I think you guys are wrong here saying Tiger's ball striking is good enough to win. His greens in regulations are high, but he has missed a lot greens with short irons in his hand. For every couple of tap in birdies he has each round it seems like he gives away a shot with a short iron. Combine that with poor putting and average short game at the moment, it could be a long summer for Tiger (at least for his standards).

As far as the Foley technique (S&T, golf evolution or whatever it is called these days), I personally don't care it. Keegan Bradley leans over quite a bit but looks almost comfortable doing it. I'm guessing he has been doing this his entire golfing career. Tiger looks like he is very uncomfortable and is forcing it. He has never set up that way in the past and played pretty well as I recall.

[quote name='jimb' timestamp='1330877125' post='4432135']
It is interesting that today, thru three rounds of the Honda, Woods is 1st in driving distance and 15th (I believe) in driving accuracy. I know it is only one tournament, but that's impressive.
[/quote]

Very very very very impressive. The problem with his game and why it is such a hill to climb to get anywhere like he was in 2000, is his putter is no where near as good as it was in the year 2000. People talk about the 2000 swing but never the 2000 putting,

Hopng he fires a 62ish score today, to give himself a chance/boost of confidence. He is due for a low round.,

When mechanics fade and Tiger goes back to playing the course his confidence will return and his scores will go low again. He looks close and looks like he has that fire again when he makes a mistake. His swing looks under control.

IMO, Rory McIlroy is the best thing for Tiger right now. Let the media focus on Rory and his pursuit of worlds #1 and major championships. Tiger can relax a little and will eventually slip into his groove. I think (and hope) we are in for some final round dog fights this year with old vs. young. Tiger will be back, just a matter of time. Just won't dominate week in and week out as of old.

F9 Driver, Atoms TS Blue 6S
F9 3-wood, Atmos TS Blue 7S
Hogan VKTR 20*, UST Recoil 85F4
Hogan Edge Irons, KBS Tour-V
Hogan Equalizer 50*,54*,58* Wedges, KBS Tour-V
Odyssey Toulon San Diego Putter
Callaway Chrome Soft Plus

[quote name='thekru' timestamp='1330791876' post='4425879']
[quote name='Redman' timestamp='1330747609' post='4423937']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you guys are wrong here saying Tiger's ball striking is good enough to win. His greens in regulations are high, but he has missed a lot greens with short irons in his hand. For every couple of tap in birdies he has each round it seems like he gives away a shot with a short iron. Combine that with poor putting and average short game at the moment, it could be a long summer for Tiger (at least for his standards).

As far as the Foley technique (S&T, golf evolution or whatever it is called these days), I personally don't care it. Keegan Bradley leans over quite a bit but looks almost comfortable doing it. I'm guessing he has been doing this his entire golfing career. Tiger looks like he is very uncomfortable and is forcing it. He has never set up that way in the past and played pretty well as I recall.
[/quote]
Here's my opion on Rogers stack and titl whatever . When I was 9-15 I would do that as a mistake and kept trying to correct it eventually I grew out of it but your timing has to be so precise with it or you miss a shot completely off . So everyday you have to have great timing and theirs little room for error in the swing

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @_aaron_wilson

opinions will always vary of course. It seems good to see him post respectable scores and placings, but if it's at the cost of bad mouth cussing and club tossing, I'm afraid he's just as lost as he's ever been. If he turned up with those antics at my home course, he'd be asked to leave. Sounds kind of self-righteous, but at the moment, I couldn't care less.