The Rickie Rant

I am not a Rickie FAN, but I'm no hater either. There are some players on Tour that I don't like (which I will keep to myself), but Rickie is not one of them. I will give him all the credit in the world for playing his own game and doing things his way. His swing is not textbook and his style may not fit some peoples textbook, but he does it his way and I commend him for that. I believe that the envy of some people leads to the hating that goes on with him.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='pga43' timestamp='1336753936' post='4895904']
[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1336753071' post='4895784']
Then why draw the line at collared or mock shirts? Why aren't jeans allowed? If you really think about it it seems arbitrary. Best explanation? Tradition. Before jeans were commonplace, it was seen as urban or at the least "blue collared", hence the ban from most upscale courses. Flat billed hats? There is nothing about the flatness of the bill that makes it inappropriate but what it represents.

[size="3"][b]Do not compare Sanders or Poulter with Fowler. Never seen [u][i]a punk kid with a can of spray paint[/i][/u] wearing a pastel colored shirt with a cardigan.[/b][/size]
[/quote]

So now RF is a "[size=2][b][u]punk kid with a can of spray paint"[/u][/b][/size]
[size=2][b][u]
[/u][/b][/size]
[size=2]Greg[/size]
[/quote]

The generalizations people make sometimes are amazing. "Get off my lawn" is right....

Poulter used to dress like a clown too, he didn't look too great. Rickie has some questionable outfits, but if he can win, and keep winning, I don't care what he wears. I used to be peeved by it, but really, its not up to me, and my opinion doesn't make a difference to anyone. The kid can play, he can wear whatever he wants and grow whatever hair he wants, it won't bother me.

[quote name='FlopShotFred' timestamp='1336744835' post='4894740']
if you're going to attempt an intelligent rant, at least spell correctly. the words you are looking for are: ridiculous (meaning worthy of ridicule) and excel (meaning to surpass others). accel...seriously?

[/quote]

Not that I agree with OP or even care, you are a ******

Driver -  PXG Gen5 0311 XF 12* - PX Cypher 50 R

5 Wood -  Taylormade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue R

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW - True Temper S

Wedges - Titleist SM8 52* 56* 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select - 33" 

I apologize for spelling words incorrectly. I will always have a bank of words that I sound out and I spell incorrectly, I am human (To be honest I respect your apology). With that said, I have never experienced a topic like this and I appreciate all of the feedback. I wasnt attacking Rickie's demeanor, I wanted to get some opinions on the bright colors and quite honestly, my opinon has changed.

The point that it brings young players into the game, and that he is a good guy trumps nearly my whole rant. One of my favorite golfers is Adam Scott, therefore I look at his style and I think it looks nice and conservative. I chose phrasing incorrectly when I made the point that he was disrespecting the game. I should have just said that the full orange suit was out of the ordinary.

I didnt intend on this post to put down Rickie Fowler, I respect him, he sounds like a great guy, but to discuss that ugly orange! Members may be taking this to heart.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410 LST 3wd - Alta Stiff

Srixon ZX5 MKii, 3i - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Srixon ZX7 MKii, 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50, 55, 60 - DG S400
Odyssey Prototype #9

Looks like that brim even has some curve in it yahoo.gifcheesy.gif

It is a good time to discuss my opinion of Rickie Fowler. I think this guy is a great golfer, kudos to the win last week. That was a difficult course and he conquered it. I think the game needed a fresh outlook on style and individuality BUT it did not need what Rickie Fowler advertises.

As a young golfer who would normally pick up on new trends rather fast I believe the neon color schemes, and the flat bill hats that Puma is producing is a sad front for the game of golf. I see golf as a traditional game, where a neon orange outfit complete with neon orange flat bill hat (with matching headcover) is not welcome. As much fun as the loud mouth attire is, I also think it is a sad attention grabbing sequence that disrespects this game. In 5 years when this neon trend quickly dies out, will rickie be the staple of leather golf pants, too? Rediculous.

Rickie, shave that thing on your upper lip, button your shirt up, bend your bill, and tone down the color. Respect the game of golf, and continue to accel by letting your golf game show your true color.

With all due respect, let me know if I am out of line. Does anyone else feel this way?

sorry bro - he had on a white hat with orange trim.

profile-rickie-fowler2.jpg

i'm not a fan of orange, but i'd rather see this than whatever beige ensemble you'd prefer him to wear.

[quote name='JWells' timestamp='1336761041' post='4896620']
if you're going to attempt an intelligent rant, at least spell correctly. the words you are looking for are: ridiculous (meaning worthy of ridicule) and excel (meaning to surpass others). accel...seriously?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know I was. I apologized a few pages back. I guess I just feel for the kid since he gets trashed so often about his clothes or hairstyles, but I've heard nothing but good things about his character, and somehow he's disrespecting the game. I guess I was a little quick to turn mean, it just shows that I couldn't put up with what RF does...

Taylormade M1 8.5 Rogue 70X
TEE E8 Tour 15* Diamana S+ 70X
Titleist 909 19* ProForce V2 90X
Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-P
Vokey 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron X5

[quote name='agoose10' timestamp='1336762607' post='4896770']
I apologize for spelling words incorrectly. I will always have a bank of words that I sound out and I spell incorrectly, I am human (To be honest I respect your apology). With that said, I have never experienced a topic like this and I appreciate all of the feedback. I wasnt attacking Rickie's demeanor, I wanted to get some opinions on the bright colors and quite honestly, my opinon has changed.

The point that it brings young players into the game, and that he is a good guy trumps nearly my whole rant. One of my favorite golfers is Adam Scott, therefore I look at his style and I think it looks nice and conservative. I chose phrasing incorrectly when I made the point that he was disrespecting the game. I should have just said that the full orange suit was out of the ordinary.

I didnt intend on this post to put down Rickie Fowler, I respect him, he sounds like a great guy, but to [b][size="3"]discuss that ugly orange[/size][/b]! Members may be taking this to heart.
[/quote]

Our orange is a whole lot better to look at than some other colors, but I am a little biased. So when Mahan wears the orange do you have the same reaction? Just curious if it is consistent. Go Pokes.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

[quote name='FlopShotFred' timestamp='1336763120' post='4896818']
[quote name='JWells' timestamp='1336761041' post='4896620']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know I was. I apologized a few pages back. I guess I just feel for the kid since he gets trashed so often about his clothes or hairstyles, but I've heard nothing but good things about his character, and somehow he's disrespecting the game. I guess I was a little quick to turn mean, it just shows that I couldn't put up with what RF does...
[/quote]

Hey man if puma paid me what he gets paid I'd wear a skirt and use ladies clubs haha, no hard feelings ;P

Driver -  PXG Gen5 0311 XF 12* - PX Cypher 50 R

5 Wood -  Taylormade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue R

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW - True Temper S

Wedges - Titleist SM8 52* 56* 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select - 33" 

I didnt intend on this post to put down Rickie Fowler, I respect him, he sounds like a great guy, but to discuss that ugly orange! Members may be taking this to heart.
[/quote]

Adam Scott always looks classy. I don't think you'll get much disagreement on that. I also understand the fact that some people don't like Rickie's outfits. I like alot of the Puma shirts, and I'll even wear a flat brim (GASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), but I'm not a big fan of the Monoline hat, and I definitely wouldn't not wear orange pants. That said, I think they look cool on him...and just as classy (albeit in a different way) as Adams Scott's Hugo Boss, or I guess it's Aquascutum now.

[quote name='oldhamer25' timestamp='1336763345' post='4896834']

I didnt intend on this post to put down Rickie Fowler, I respect him, he sounds like a great guy, but to [b][size="3"]discuss that ugly orange[/size][/b]! Members may be taking this to heart.
[/quote]

Our orange is a whole lot better to look at than some other colors, but I am a little biased. So when Mahan wears the orange do you have the same reaction? Just curious if it is consistent. Go Pokes.
[/quote]

To be honest, my high school colors were orange and black and I am not a fan of orange. I DO like OSU's football uni's. I used to have a nice Citizens watch and the face was orange and I wouldnt wear it. I should give it to RF.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410 LST 3wd - Alta Stiff

Srixon ZX5 MKii, 3i - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Srixon ZX7 MKii, 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50, 55, 60 - DG S400
Odyssey Prototype #9

As many have already pointed out, golf have a rich history of loud and interesting styles of clothing. While I would [i]never ever[/i] dress similarly, I don't think Rickie is doing anything in bad taste or detrimental to the integrity of the game. I'll never understand this "I don't like something so it must hurt something I like..." attitude toward such silly things.

Disliking something does not immediately mean it is detrimental.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1336771217' post='4897608']
Why do people keep spelling ridiculous "rediculous"? There isn't an E in it!
[/quote]

I found out I was spelling it wrong when I was like 26 and it blew my mind. I then told a friend of mine that I consider way smarter than myself and he was also shocked to find out he had been spelling it wrong for so long. His quote via instant messenger: "I feel so [i]ritarded[/i]!" Haha

The first time I saw RF, I really thought he was a nub for the way he dressed. It didn't take long for me to realize he was not trying to be cocky by the way he dresses. I came to respect him for doing his own thing and not conforming to what everybody else thinks is "normal" golf attire. Takes guts to stand out in a crowd in my opinion. I am 44 years old but if I was younger I might try his style. It might get a few laughs at the course I play if I did. I wore a halloween wig/toupee during a tournament and it has not been forgotten! Everyday life has way too many headaches. Lighten up and enjoy the time we can spend having fun on the golf course.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

I wasnt attacking Rickie's demeanor, I wanted to get some opinions on the bright colors and quite honestly, my opinon has changed.

[/quote]

'Disrespecting the game' and 'out of the ordinary' are quite different, for your sake I hope you really did express yourself incorrectly rather than trying to back peddle because of the response you got.

I went and read your OP again, it was quite aggressive towards what RF wears. You say golf is a game of tradition and neon colours are not welcome? Do you really think golf is about not welcoming players because they wear colours that some people dislike? Even if we take away the fact that Rickie brings young players into the game your argument is flawed.

Not my style, but it's his signature and it's working for him.

I just enjoy the unintentional comedy though of seeing 40+ year olds decked in Puma head to toe at the course. What might work for a 23 year old doesn't always work for the middle-aged.

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

If he were wearing what he's wearing, but walking around the course with his hat on backwards, shirt untucked, pants sagging, whatever, then maybe it coud come off as disrespectful. But even though opinions on the clothes themselves differ (I like them), Rickie carries himself like a pro and nothing he wears pushes the boundaries so far as to harm the game. It's great for golf to have a little color, and I admit it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine to watch golf channel hoping they show Rickie so I can see what Puma has come up with next.

[quote name='Jeembo' timestamp='1336750839' post='4895514']
IN MY OPINION the difference between rickie and guys like poulter is that poulter is genuine about his fashion. He dresses like that because he loves the way it looks and he's the most comfortable in it. [b]Rickie seems to dress like that strictly because he's getting paid for all the attention he gets - basically the literal definition of attention whoring.[/b] That said, he does seem like a decent kid judging by interviews and he's got a solid golf game.
[/quote]

How does one come to this conclusion? You know him that well through watching him on tv and interviews?

Ping G400LST 10* Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 6.3x
Callaway Epic Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 765 Tour Spec X
Taylormade P790 UDI
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW X100 TI
Vokey SM6 50*/Nike Engage SS 55*/TM Hi-Toe 60*
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

one of the many things that hinders the development of the game is the pre-historical dress code. No kid is gonna take up a game that requires dressing like a semi-retired insurance salesman on a singles-only cruise. I love how Rickie brought a new fresh style, a strange mix of skate-board street, college cheerleader uniform combined with a good dose of 80's Andre Agassi, that would probably get you thrown out of your dad's country club. Go Rickie partytime2.gif

I would like to ask all you RF style synpathizers where do you draw the line when it comes to course dress code? Jeans? Ankle length basketball shorts? Flat billed hats worn a skewed? Bandana over the head? Wife beaters? Army boots?

Anything goes? Or if you do draw the line somewhere, why?

Really, I'm just trying to pick out the hypocrites. I really have no problem with any of those attiires as long as you are respectful to the game. I'm just questioning those that have different standards when it comes to RF.

If you are all for RF wearing his douchebag, last year flat billed hat but are against jeans on the course, what is it about denim that your against? Just pointing out some double standards that I'm noticing.

[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1336813093' post='4900048']
I would like to ask all you RF style synpathizers where do you draw the line when it comes to course dress code? Jeans? Ankle length basketball shorts? Flat billed hats worn a skewed? Bandana over the head? Wife beaters? Army boots?

Really, I'm just trying to pick out the hypocrites. I really have no problem with any of those attiires as long as you are respectful to the game. I'm just questioning those that have different standards when it comes to RF.

If you are all for RF wearing his douchebag, last year flat billed hat but are against jeans on the course, what is it about denim that your against? Just pointing out some double standards that I'm noticing.
[/quote]

I see what you mean. But the beauty of it is that Ricky has not actually changed any aspect of the normal golf attire. He still wears non-jean paints, polo shirt an a hat. Just like anyone else in golf. He just uses new designs and colours.

[/quote]

Oddly, I was in the drugstore recently and as I wandered by the personal hygiene section, I did not see one ****** bag wearing a flat billed hat of any color. All of them were quite nattily attired in triple reverse pleated khakis, extraordinarily thick cotton polos, belts with silver conchos, and high brimmed five panel hats like Fudd, oops DL III, used to wear. Brown and white saddle shoes won the day and each had a perfectly folded Titleist Tour glove strategically hanging out of the right rear pocket. As I stopped to listen, they were bemoaning how the youth of the day were disrespecting the game with colorful clothing but the subject quickly changed to whether any of them had broken 90 this season.

As you can see denim was never mentioned and would not be worn by ****** bags of such impeccable breeding.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[/quote]
1. IMO, qualifies as one of the worst posts I have read this year.
2. RF is a motocross guy. There is a crossover with the hat for him, regardless if Puma had those design intentions.
3. Certainly the argument can be made for Mahan, RF and the like that keeping sun off the face is key and the large bill does the duty. I personally think the large everything visor is bit overdone...especially with Lefty's or Bubba's flowing locks flailing everywhere.
4. Finally, I can barely see your point through the sarcasm. The Puma is well done and coordinated with the outfit. There is no grease spot or truck stop ad getting TV time.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[/quote]

Well I don't "draw the line" anywhere. Short of showing boobs, butts or crotches what someone else is wearing doesn't concern me at all. Whether on the golf course or anywhere else. Some things are attractive and/or practical while others are not but the only clothes that affect me are the ones I'm wearing (usually something comfortable for an old fat boy, whether stylish or not).

As for the the specific items you mentioned, some of them (jeans, army boots) are so impractical for playing golf the person wearing them would probably strike me as a doofus without any common sense. Baggy shorts or wife-beater tee shirts are plenty ugly but so are some people's faces...one just tries not to look in those cases.

I'm not even sure what a flat-billed hat is but an obsession with caps worn "skewed", to the side or backwards is the ultimate "Keep Off My Lawn" old-man fixation. Of course as someone with practically no hair, I wear all sort of toppers to keep down the glare. Hard for me to comment on a young man's choice of headgear without seeming to be motivated by jealousy!