2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

NOW THIS !!! IS HOW A CLEVELAND CLASSIC SHOULD LOOK

ROBOPTI

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the RBZ 15* 3w and an R11 tip glued up with old Rifle Lite 6.5's and ready to test! The white RBZ & R11 heads look kind of cool with the steel shaft as funny as that sounds. Now if I can just get the rain to let up some tomorrow.

Any pics? I have an r11 and thinking about doing the same.

Here are some quick i-phone shots. I had to change the 10g weight in the heel of the R11 to a 1g to get the swing weight down to D4 so not sure how it will work with two 1g weights, but it looks cool!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

NICE !!!!!!

I love that

I have an RBZ on the way that is about to get the "treatment"

Bro - I LOVE !!!!!!!!! that

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1346539827' post='5572147']
Again quick question to you guys.

Should we go UP or DOWN in head loft - or stay the same (for a driver)?
[/quote]

I would err to lower loft - ONLY reason I would say that - and I am no expert - is that the club will be shorter - MOST people will be closer to the ball at address - i.e. your swingpath will probably get a tad more vertical - so for me - that launches the ball higher - at least it is for me

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1346588919' post='5573849']
Rob,

Any experimenting with heavy graphite in the driver? Diamana 103, PX 10A2, VJS110PLUS all seem like they would give you the same stability and low spin with the weight you are looking for.
[/quote]

WHAT UP STAGE !!!

I still have that VJS110 I bought from you - which just felt deadish. I have found older heavy graphite shafts weren't technically better - they manufacturers just threw a sh!tton of material at to get it heavy. I have to admit I had a 7.5 905R / NV105x once - AMAZING - but that was a while ago. I have not tried the 10A2 (got tired of chasing after one). I LOVE !!! the 103X - but dont have a driver length one. I did have one of Sergio's actually drivers (10.5 R9-460 bent 3ish open) which had a heavily counter-balanced Reax 105X in it - and it was AWESOME - I hit that until the head cracked (which unfortunately didn't take long)

Honestly - It's the super heavy weight of the steel - and that Dynamic Gold feel that is really doing it ... I don't exactly know why - but it just is. I really don't wanna think about it to much - or I'll go insane with my golf ADD habit.

[quote name='gqjeff' timestamp='1346612833' post='5574891']
Played 1 round with the steel. Started off with the Fast12 LS and hit 2 terrible drives OB. Then switched to the RBZ and the R11s. This was coming out of the gate no range work or anything so I over swung with the LS. Ended up with bogies on those holes though but should have been a couple more birdies. Ended up shooting 71 with 5 pen strokes so not terrible. The course was wet also but still was pounding out some long carry bombs.. Def worthy of staying in play. The feel is awesome as I hotmelt all my heads too but felt even better with the steel. Going to grab a few more shafts x300 and another x100 this time and go
With straight standard 1 1/4" tipping. The tm sleeve x100 is tipped 1.5" and the LS one is tipped 2". Playing both at 44". I play heavy clubs so the added weight feels awesome and after swinging normally I was hitting 2-3 yard draws. This winter if I stay with the steel vibrant golf will be getting sent a few shafts for a little color addition. Will go with one white and a flat black for sure. I flo'd them both also in the position I play them at. Might pull my 2* tip off my to7hd and put a steel in that also. Launch was nice but maybe dropping the rbz and r11s to 8.5 might even be better.
[/quote]

NICE !!!!!!!! ... Post your follow ups !!

Any comparison between DG - DGSL - DL ??

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Anyone tried this in a Razr fit driver, i swung a Tom wishon driver with a steel shaft last week and it felt great.

Would not cost that much to test a razr fit, just a new adaptor and a shaft.

-------------------
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike vapor flex driver Diamana S+ blueboard stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Cobra bio cell+ 3/4 wood stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike covert flex 5 wood Diamana S+ blueboard stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Cobra bio cell+ 3/4 hybrid stiff[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike vapor pro combo ust recoil 110 5-pw[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike engage square 52 graders wedge ust recoil 110[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike engage toesweep 60 graders wedge ust recoil 110[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Nike Converge S2-12[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2E36][font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0980392)]Sun mountain h2no lite[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Here are some quick i-phone shots. I had to change the 10g weight in the heel of the R11 to a 1g to get the swing weight down to D4 so not sure how it will work with two 1g weights, but it looks cool!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

NICE !!!!!!

I love that

I have an RBZ on the way that is about to get the "treatment"

Bro - I LOVE !!!!!!!!! that

Can you help me with a starting point for amount to tip an S300 to end up with a 42" RBZ 3w that plays just under stiff? Swing speed with a 3w is around 92-94mph and driver is 98-100. I loved the feel of the Rifle Lite but the 6.5 was just too much for me.

Round 2 was last night in a 2 man scramble league with my old man. He's a 22 capper and we threw in a 5 under 31. Not bad for super soft fairways and soggy slow greens from the remnants of Issac. Then I played the front and shot a 34. Even on the soggy course the balls where nice and long. I actually think on a dryer day I might gain yardage with this steel. Let my bro take my other steel Fast12 LS and he told me in the bar on his way out he had one of his best driving rounds in years. His playing partner told me the same thing. So I come in the office this AM and my bro comes around the corner and says man I really did kill that driver last night. He did say he was hitting low bullets but its playing at 8.2* loft right now. Told him we could take it up to 9.2 but it would close the face 1* also. He said that was fine cause his miss was a little right as it sets a little over 2* open at stock setup. He commented on how solid "hotmelted" it felt and how the extra weight gave him better tempo. So looks like I might have a buyer for the Fast12 LS LOL.. I all seriousness my dad thought I was pounding the ball especially well off the tee also. So the experiment continues with good results.

[quote name='ROBOPTI' timestamp='1346820728' post='5589249']
[quote name='bioman' timestamp='1346694839' post='5578977']
SIR'S:
How would an X100 do in a Cobra S9-1 Pro D? Too low spin?
[/quote]

Not a chance - The Classic is EASILY !!!!! lower spin than the Pro D - and it works just fine (for me)
[/quote]

I told you so, months ago.!!!!!

Now that I'm back after a month of so off the forum, Look what maelstrom I walk into.....
Nice job Robo....I will buy more US Steel stock now.

first range session with the s300 in the fast 12 LS went well. definitely more of a point and shoot club once i settled in with it. no issues with going at it hard. i cant do that as much with the stock fubuki alpha or the other shafts ive tried in it. feels phenominal off the face, really feels like you are pounding it; way different feel. and i remember that feel. but overall i felt like i had a good bit of control of where the ball was going which is what i was wanting to see. As far as distance, it's a flat range so its hard to gauge, but it 'seemed' to go as far anything else i have. should know more once its on the course. i will take 10 yards less as long if my confidence in putting it down the middle goes up.

its funny though, i had my best driver day of the year a few days ago. 12 out of 14. shot my best round in 3 years, 74. game is a lot easier in the fairway. looking forward to seeing how the steel is on the course and how much, if any, yardage im losing.

Back in the day I had a x100 tipped 1" and it felt like a whip. Ordered a x100 and plan on tipping it 2", playing at 44". Going to be fun. Prolly going to still stick it in the j33r, but maybe for kicks the Ltd. Ed. will get a shot. Much easier pulling a steel shaft than a graphite one! lol

God Bless
Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

[quote name='chasm' timestamp='1347013365' post='5600875']
Is it worth experimenting with steel for mre mortals with sub 100mph swing speeds? Is accuracy likely to improve? Probably a question for the clubmakers forum and apologies for the thread-kack
[/quote]

Just get yourself a heavy graphite shaft with a firm tip instead. You can have the stability (control), of steel with a heavier graphite shaft without quite so much weight. One of the most stable and accurate drivers I ever had was shafted with a Fujikura Vista Pro 90, (90 grams). I STILL use that shaft for all my FW woods and hybrids. Currently using a 757 Speeder Tourspec in the driver, tipped 1/2", but I wouldn't hesitate to use the heavier VP-90 if I had control issues with the driver.

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

[quote name='chasm' timestamp='1347013365' post='5600875']
Is it worth experimenting with steel for mre mortals with sub 100mph swing speeds? Is accuracy likely to improve? Probably a question for the clubmakers forum and apologies for the thread-kack
[/quote]

i dont think ive lost much swing speed. i am not a huge hitter, my swing speed is around 100 give or take a few, with graphite. ive mentioned a few times, but once you start swinging steel, and then you try to go at it harder and harder, it doesnt have an adverse affect. i cant go at it with a 60 gram shaft for whatever reason, but obviously a swing flaw, so to me its a heavier and shorter shaft that i can really go after vs a lighter and an inch longer shaft that i have to hold back a little bit. i havent had an on course test for yardage yet, but i think it'll be close. If my launch conditions have improved i think it might end up being longer on average. and there is some room for improvement with my launch conditions. Also there are lighter weight steel shafts available. some of the guys in this thread have tried them. its a really cheap experiment. if you think it may be something that could benefit your game, then its probably worth a shot.

[quote name='BennyG19' timestamp='1347030939' post='5601889']
What kind of weights do I need in my R11 head to offset the change in weight of the shaft?
Thanks!
[/quote]

i am around D2-D3 with a 212 gram head, DGS300 shaft at 43.75" and a midsize VDR grip. i have 8 additional grams in the head. I used the swing weight estimator online which is generally pretty accurate. the shorter shaft plus the additional weight in the shaft should allow for not too much additional head weight.

[quote name='BennyG19' timestamp='1347030939' post='5601889']
What kind of weights do I need in my R11 head to offset the change in weight of the shaft?
Thanks!
[/quote]

For every 9g roughly of shaft weight u gain 1 SW point. For every 1/2" shorter length u lose 3 SW points. So u can kind of figure it out from there on what you need as far as weights. It changes the total weight of the club heavier no matter what but SW can stay VERY close at 43.5"-44"

So I currently play C-Tapers S+ in my irons/wedges and I'd thought I would go with C-Tapers as experiments in my woods/hybrids as well. The only challenge is that unlike Dynamic Golds, C-Tapers don't come in a wood shaft length. I also wasn't sure I should stick with an S+ flex @ 125g vs going down a flex for lower wegith so I emailed KBS about this crazy idea and to my surprise they actually said that I'm not the first guy to ask about this and has the following feedback:[list=1]
[*]Since the longest C-Taper is a 2-iron shaft @41", I will need to extend the shaft.
[*]Generally extending a shaft +1 inch won't soften flex too much, but beyond that it will make it play up to a flex softer depending on shaft extension length
[*]Stick with same iron flex (S+ @ 125g)
[*]KBS suspects that the CTaper with shaft extension to play in driver/wood would not be as stiff as the heavy graphite shafts i have used (RIP 80x @ 88g and RIP 90X @ 103g), but obviously will be much heaver static weight so if I can tune the weights in my R9/R11s heads to a similar SW as with my graphite shafts I should see similar SS.
[/list]
Anyways, I've pulled the trigger and ordered some C-Tapers S+ 2-iron shafts, some new R11s adaptors, and just waiting for them to arrive... It's going to look pretty nice with the satin silver finish on the R11s white heads... I hope it works out for me!

Even at $35 a pop for the shaft it's still less then the cost of 1 graphite wood/hybrid shaft... and if things don't work out I can always remove the shaft extensions and sell it as a hybrid shaft for folks who uses a R9/R11 rescue

[size=3][b]Bettinardi BEBG-1501 Staff Bag (Riding 14 Clubs)[/b][/size]
[color=#000000][size=3]TRPX S-013 1W 9.5 [/size][/color][size=3][color=#000000]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]RomaRo Ray Type-R 5W+ 17 & UT 19[/size][/color][size=3][color=#000000] | United SBB1 Tour 3-PW & SBW2 53/57 | Bettinardi Queen Bee #6[/color]

[b]Honma CB-3202 Stand Bag (Walking 12 Clubs)[/b]
[color=#000000]Baldo 8C Craft Brassy 2W 13 | George Spirit GTFW 5W 18 | Honma TW-U 21 & TW717M 4-PW | Romaro Alcobaca Stream Tour 58 | Bettinardi BB35[/color][/size]

You can use an extra heavy grip to DECREASE the swingweight as well.

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

[quote name='neova' timestamp='1347035714' post='5602349']
So I currently play C-Tapers S+ in my irons/wedges and I'd thought I would go with C-Tapers as experiments in my woods/hybrids as well. The only challenge is that unlike Dynamic Golds, C-Tapers don't come in a wood shaft length. I also wasn't sure I should stick with an S+ flex @ 125g vs going down a flex for lower wegith so I emailed KBS about this crazy idea and to my surprise they actually said that I'm not the first guy to ask about this and has the following feedback:[list=1]
[*]Since the longest C-Taper is a 2-iron shaft @41", I will need to extend the shaft.
[*]Generally extending a shaft +1 inch won't soften flex too much, but beyond that it will make it play up to a flex softer depending on shaft extension length
[*]Stick with same iron flex (S+ @ 125g)
[*]KBS suspects that the CTaper with shaft extension to play in driver/wood would not be as stiff as the heavy graphite shafts i have used (RIP 80x @ 88g and RIP 90X @ 103g), but obviously will be much heaver static weight so if I can tune the weights in my R9/R11s heads to a similar SW as with my graphite shafts I should see similar SS.
[/list]
Anyways, I've pulled the trigger and ordered some C-Tapers S+ 2-iron shafts, some new R11s adaptors, and just waiting for them to arrive... It's going to look pretty nice with the satin silver finish on the R11s white heads... I hope it works out for me!

Even at $35 a pop for the shaft it's still less then the cost of 1 graphite wood/hybrid shaft... and if things don't work out I can always remove the shaft extensions and sell it as a hybrid shaft for folks who uses a R9/R11 rescue
[/quote]

How do you plan on fitting a .355 into a .350 head? Are you going to drill out the bore?