2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Grafalloy BiMatrx Prototype 80x - TRACKMAN TESTED (see post 23 for 65s test results)

swanry30

GRAFALLOY BIMATRX PROTOTYPE 80x - TRACKMAN TESTED

Introduction/Technology:

"BiMatrx Tour Prototype combines the best of both worlds in materials and performance. The ultralight graphite BiMatrx body joins with a steel tip section for ultimate distance and control. BiMatrx also has the unique combination of allowing golfers to increase driver loft by as much as 30% while offering a 20% reduction in spin rate. This high launch and low spin blend delivers incredible carry and roll."

some of you may only be familiar with this shaft because of BUBBA WATSON - but this was originally made popular by TIGER WOODS when he made the switch from the GRAFALLOY AXIS to the original BIMATRIX in 2006.

bitw17jh.jpg

PAINT a shaft and head pink - give it to this guy and good things happen....

[media=]

[/media]

Looks:

The new color scheme is pretty cool... as other people have mentioned it really pops. I went with the ELECTRIC BLUE in a TAYLORMADE SF2.0TP head with a white and blue IOMIC (pictures coming soon - as the originals did not turn out great). In 2006 - I set one up exactly like TIGER in an SQ TOUR with GOLF PRIDE tour velvet cord. As much as I like the way the ELECTRIC BLUE - my original setup was pretty cool looking!

Testing:

I need to thanks the guys out at REDTAIL in Beaverton, OR. They are one of the biggest shops on the west coast and have almost every club/shaft combination you can think of to hit. There are over 10 TRACKMAN certified employees - including one of the best period - a WRX member IMAGOLFER.

To give a short background - the screenshots shown were after I was fully warmed up. One thing that I didn't mention earlier was the club specifications - which does play a big part in the numbers. The build ended up at 44.5" in length d4. Most clubs today are 45.5"-46", mostly impart to allow you to swing the club faster. LIGHTER, LONGER. Another reference point would be my average club head speed. With my current RBZ TOUR/PX BLACK setup at 44.75" I average 113.5 on TRACKMAN. Here are my other AVERAGE TRACKMAN #'s. Launch is typically around 12*. Spin 2200*. Ball Speed 167.5. For the testing purposes I stayed with my typical on course swing - and did not try to step anything up for an inflated number.

As you can see the ball speeds are a little low. This is the 80g shaft at 44.5".

You will also see that the launch angle is a couple degree's higher than my average.

Spin is right about normal.

I did really observe the overall ball flight to be much higher than I am use to. Launch doesn't always equate to high ball flight. The peak height can vary depending on the shaft. My PX BLACK tends to launch a little lower yet climb quickly- then immediately flatten out. The BiMatrx launched higher then continued to climb. In some cases the AoD was good - some cases the AoD was steeper than I would like to see.

Here are some random notes I jotted down:

>very active for 80x

>felt very smooth

>ball hung in the air - kept on going

>pretty good distance for a heavier shaft

>easier to turn over and draw than other shafts I have played

>harder to work left to right - it was a draw or straight ball flight

>TAYLORMADE SF2.0TP head is hotter and feels better than my RBZ TOUR.

Here is how it compared to my RBZ TOUR/PX BLACK 7.0:

DISCLAIMER! THESE WERE MY FIRST TWO SWINGS SO I WAS NOT WARMED UP...!

Here is how it compared to a J40 430/PX 6.5:

I changed my target on these drives - so the offline aspect was actually at my new target as I didn't recalibrate my target.

Conclusion:

If you like a 80g X flex driver shaft and could use a little extra launch - while maintaining a mid/low spin... BiMatrx is a great shaft.

This shaft will probably not make my bag, but will stay as a backup. The testing did pose a few more questions for me though.

I'm not playing the right combination. I plan on pulling the PX BLACK 7.0 and putting it in either the SF2.0TP or borrowing my friends j40 430 as it is his backup head. What TRACKMAN is not showing is how each ball/head/shaft combination flights. With the PX BLACK it would be untouchable into the wind with the right head. My RBZ TOUR head, doesn't feel nearly as good as the SF2.0TP or the J40 430, launches higher, doesn't produce the flat flight I prefer.

I will get some more pictures up soon and will reserve the next post for future comments!

PLEASE ask me questions!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review! I found the 60s to be pretty similar. It for sure got the ball in the air, but it seemed to take a lot of spin off. Shaft is very stable also. I noticed that you had to take the driver down to 44.5", do you normally play your driver that length or do you play it longer? I tried to leave mine longer, 45.5", but it was just super heavy.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Your smash was still good with the bimatrix so obviously your SS was down. Did it feel a lot heavier to swing, how did the SW come out with all that steel in the tip? What are your thoughts/ opinions on heavier driver shafts in general?

It seems like this shaft could be a game changer for those guys with negative AoA in the 10 LA/3000 spin range in the right head. J40 430/PX black 7.0 sounds sweet!

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

[quote name='knudson81' timestamp='1347911941' post='5652699']
Nice review! I found the 60s to be pretty similar. It for sure got the ball in the air, but it seemed to take a lot of spin off. Shaft is very stable also. I noticed that you had to take the driver down to 44.5", do you normally play your driver that length or do you play it longer? I tried to leave mine longer, 45.5", but it was just super heavy.
[/quote]

It did take the spin off. I normally play my driver between 44.5" and 45" - honestly it comes down to the head. Sometimes a club just looks too long or too short depending on the shape. When I play an 80g shaft - I automatically go down to 44.5".

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1347911947' post='5652701']
Your smash was still good with the bimatrix so obviously your SS was down. Did it feel a lot heavier to swing, how did the SW come out with all that steel in the tip? What are your thoughts/ opinions on heavier driver shafts in general?

It seems like this shaft could be a game changer for those guys with negative AoA in the 10 LA/3000 spin range in the right head. J40 430/PX black 7.0 sounds sweet!
[/quote]

Good point. My smash factor was still great. The heavier shaft (although it was very active feeling) allowed me to time everything up nice and make great contact.

SW d4 - it felt heavier though!

For heavier shafts in general I have a love hate relationship. If I'm playing a lot of golf - I like them. Keeps me in check and really keeps my dispersion tight. My tempo also comes together and I don't overswing. If I'm not playing a lot, I hit it well for 10 holes... then the wheels come off. One of my favorite drivers was a X8a4/FT TOUR. LONG, FLAT, PIERCING!

You nailed it for it fitting the negative AoA players. This could get you in the $$$ spot with #'s.

I didn't post one set of numbers but there is a head that outperformed everything. The PX BLACK may go in it. I was pounding it through the back of the range on a HOT flight.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1347913690' post='5652855']
[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1347911947' post='5652701']

[/quote]

Good point. My smash factor was still great. The heavier shaft (although it was very active feeling) allowed me to time everything up nice and make great contact.

SW d4 - it felt heavier though!

For heavier shafts in general I have a love hate relationship. If I'm playing a lot of golf - I like them. Keeps me in check and really keeps my dispersion tight. My tempo also comes together and I don't overswing. If I'm not playing a lot, I hit it well for 10 holes... then the wheels come off. One of my favorite drivers was a X8a4/FT TOUR. LONG, FLAT, PIERCING!

You nailed it for it fitting the negative AoA players. This could get you in the $$$ spot with #'s.

I didn't post one set of numbers but there is a head that outperformed everything. The PX BLACK may go in it. I was pounding it through the back of the range on a HOT flight.
[/quote]

That is kind of what I expected you to say on the heavier driver shafts. Something that goes unsaid in these kind of threads is the ability for the tester to keep a consistent swing throughout the testing. You obviously did a great job of that here as evidenced by your numbers. You could have easily been tempted to give it a little more with the bimatrix as the heavier shafts definitely require more effort in the swing.

Please tell on the mystery driver head!

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

sf tp 2.0

Callaway Fusion 9* KK XT
Callaway Fusion 15* VTS Black
Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood 20.5* Tensei CK Blue
Mizuno JPX EZ 4 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-P Adila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland CBX 50 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland CBX 54 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 58 Aldila RIP 115
MannKrafted Putter Du Jour

[quote name='jpalermo' timestamp='1347915841' post='5653005']
sf tp 2.0
[/quote]

nope...

non TA razr fit 8.5 "O" 12g toe 2g heel (I think).

dirty sick numbers. numbers that actually pissed me off. to make maters worse I watched ball after ball flight on a laser beam trajectory past where some of my gamer and test drivers had rolled out to. reminded me of my FT TOUR/DI7x only hotter and more forgiving.

With D4 @ 44.5" was the clubhead melted? Or do the new shafts have the same balance as the old Grafalloy BiMatrix prototypes where they are 3-4 points heavier than other graphite shafts?

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Nice review! I keep hearing nothing but good things about that bloody Razor Fit head with the right shaft in it :censored2: Going to have to get over my dislike for Calaway and find one of these heads I think...... :russian_roulette:

Srixon 545 8.5 Tour Issue - Miyazaki Kosuma Black 7X
Cobra Fly Z 13 - Miyazaki Kosuma Indigo 7X
Ping Anser 18 - Miyazaki Kosuma Black 7X
Srixon Z965 - Modus 3 120 TX
Cleveland 588 50-54-58
Cleveland HBC 3 Putter

Sounds like the shaft is exactly the same as the original just with different paintfill, I tried one back when they first came out and played it at D4 at 44.6" as well. The one thing I noticed about this shaft is that is actually plays very very very weak, I wish I had tipped it a good 1" or more even though you are not suppose to. Surprised that it was that soft for a so called stronger players shaft.

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100 HY TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey Design SM10 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.5T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold TI

Scotty Cameron Timeless 2.5 SSS Tourtype Prototype

Couple of questions...
1. Compare the feel to some current shafts we all know and love?? overall feel?
2. did if feel like the weight changed at all during the swing? I can see how the steel tip may feel lighter at some points in the swing and then heavy later?
3. Did you find the dispersion to be better or worse then some comparison shafts?

thanks...and great review...as always!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Cool review and thanks for taking the time. Is that Trackman in a stall for a outdoor range or indoors?

SF 2.0 performance does not suprise me. I have said forever that is one of the best heads ever. The thing is just so damn ugly. I am going to test my against the 913 and Anser in a few months and see how she does.

Perhaps tipping it would have been a good option...

Despite the fact that it plays weak - it does like to go straight. In fact I usually hate to see a shaft draw on a swing that I wouldn't expect those results... It's like the combination just felt better with a right to left pattern. The beauty with TRACKMAN is can look at all of the components of the strike to see in fact how much help I was giving to the movement.

Don't know how this happened - but I did forget to check out the spin axis. Next time I make the trip I will find out...

Very odd that the two shafts I have tested have performed almost exactly opposite as I would have expected. The PX BLACK is so stable and very light. It performs like a 80g shaft in dispersion... It is also low spin and lower launch. The BiMatrx is the exact opposite... Heavy feel, yet active in the swing. I would not expect a shaft with those characteristics to also have low spin. Based on everything else - mid to mid/high spin and launch would be my guess.

Great shafts if paired with the right clubhead and swing :)

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1347941066' post='5655645']
Cool review and thanks for taking the time. Is that Trackman in a stall for a outdoor range or indoors?

SF 2.0 performance does not suprise me. I have said forever that is one of the best heads ever. The thing is just so damn ugly. I am going to test my against the 913 and Anser in a few months and see how she does.
[/quote]

The fitting area is in a covered bay that houses 4 TRACKMAN to an open range. In the general area there are approximately 15 more TRACKMANs for teachers/students or people who pretend like they belong there. Huge range though on a city owned golf course. Lots of balls hit and rounds played year round....

I was very impressed with the ANSER - and I didn't take the time to play with shafts. Solid club! The feel is great.

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1347940543' post='5655583']
Couple of questions...
1. Compare the feel to some current shafts we all know and love?? overall feel?
2. did if feel like the weight changed at all during the swing? I can see how the steel tip may feel lighter at some points in the swing and then heavy later?
3. Did you find the dispersion to be better or worse then some comparison shafts?

thanks...and great review...as always!
[/quote]

1. shaft comparison... hmmm...
i really can't think of any shaft that compares. honestly, think of any 80g high lauch/high spin shaft - then cut the spin 8x and you have a BiMatrx.

2. perhaps in the 60g version you would find some dead spots in the swing... perhaps it was just the fact it is 80g that you feel it. i am having a hard time remembering if i felt the shaft differently at the graphite/steel weld...?

3. dispersion was tighter than most shafts for how active it was. here are some 80g shafts i have played that were tighter - but the feel is no where close... tour issue ust 86x v2 proto, fujikura vt80d, x8a4... i would consider those shafts point and shoot - but at the cost of feel. for what it is worth, the px black at 62g has tighter dispersion. the shaft is great. i can't wait for the possibilities of a slightly heavier version to create a slightly lower flight!

[quote name='ws6' timestamp='1347976594' post='5656895']
The Razr Fit is better than the J40 430 for you?
[/quote]

both heads are great. the razr fit beat it out.

it's weird... sometimes a head just works for you. bridgestone/callaway for some reason agree with me - this time the razr fit took the cake. the flight was flat and long...

[quote name='ws6' timestamp='1347990206' post='5658281']
Interesting, I was getting ready to order a J40. Now: :dntknw:
[/quote]

remember - each one of us will fit differently into each head. each head may also require a different shaft to optimize numbers. such a fine line sometimes. both heads are great though!

Nice review Swanry! Sounds like the 80g version plays similar to the 65g version.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

first off, big thanks to golfwrx and grafalloy for hooking me up with this shaft in their recent contest.  i am very grateful to have been this lucky.  :D

swarny, i'm piggybacking on your review with my own.  hope that is okay.  if you want me to move it to a new topic, i will just let me know.  i just feel like there are a few of these review threads of this shaft, and don't want to add another one.  in addition, i have my own trackman data, so this seems like the perfect spot.

tested: grafalloy bimatrix tour prototype S flex

color: matte black

weight: 65g

length: butt trimmed to play as a 45" driver (same as my current driver), shafted straight in.

appearance: shaft looks sharp.  understated, in a good way.  no graphics, besides text. the matte black contrasts well with the steel tip. 

about me: a 7 handicap.  SS is 100-105 depending on the day.  my miss is pull hook.  i consider my driver to be (usually) the best club in my bag, but have been struggling with it on and off for the past couple weeks.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Feel free to piggy-back! I will edit the topic tomorrow when I get to a computer to include your information...

So... Split the difference and if the BiMatrx does you right - drop it in an ANSER :)

Miss hits are the name of the game. What shaft keeps you in play when you miss hit it without significant distance loss. That shaft for me is the PX BLACK. The MOTORE SPEEDER TOUR SPEC was straight and penetrating - but any miss hit was punished with distance. My thought is the tip section being that stiff helped keep it in play - yet kept it from unloading through the hit. I am looking to find the ultimate shaft that combines the attributes of the PX BLACK and MOTORE SPEEDER TOUR SPEC. In other words a PX BLACK that flighted slightly lower.

Great review...! That head is IMO one of the best Adams has made...!! I am really thinking about getting one of these shafts around 70 Grams or so and tipping with an R11 tip and trying it in both my RBZ and Superdeep and seeing how it plays. Anything more consistent for me is a winner!

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1348027939' post='5661739']
Feel free to piggy-back! I will edit the topic tomorrow when I get to a computer to include your information...

So... Split the difference and if the BiMatrx does you right - drop it in an ANSER :)

Miss hits are the name of the game. What shaft keeps you in play when you miss hit it without significant distance loss. That shaft for me is the PX BLACK. The MOTORE SPEEDER TOUR SPEC was straight and penetrating - but any miss hit was punished with distance. My thought is the tip section being that stiff helped keep it in play - yet kept it from unloading through the hit. I am looking to find the ultimate shaft that combines the attributes of the PX BLACK and MOTORE SPEEDER TOUR SPEC. In other words a PX BLACK that flighted slightly lower.
[/quote]

Can you say lower lofted driver!!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Dscvrr - I can :). Hard to find to many drivers that are though. I played an original PING RAPTURE 7.5 - true loft until my xvs7 at the time snapped. I bought a x7a3 to replace it (this was the original tour PX shaft. It didn't show specs and was a deeper blue - it just read x7a3). Unfortunately for the PING the shaft found a j33r head instead.

6 degree LDA head? Haha

I'm curious about the sftp 2.0 now.

Do you have version 1 or 2? I've got the 2.0 v2 5w and actually like it better than my RBZ 3w

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Quick question. Is this the same shaft as the one that came out in 2006 (?)? There are old clubs with the old BiMatrx in them on eBay for $25-50... where a new BiMAtrx is $100. Any difference?

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link