2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotty Cameron 009 vs. Byron Morgan DH89: A side-by-side comparison

zakkozuchowski

For those who don't want to spend a paycheck on a putter with a similar shape, the Piretti Potenza is a pretty darn good offering.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1351275354' post='5850451']
[quote name='ihatecats18' timestamp='1351272873' post='5850235']
+1 for the Byron in this comparison.
[/quote]

tai's damascus byron is not a typical piece, and probably cost him almost as much as the 009....but you can get one very similar to that 009 for a lot less.
[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote name='Hifade' timestamp='1351285634' post='5851347']
Love the look of the 89. Might have to order one up to mirror my 2001 Scotty Tour Newport Beach. I'd have the sound slot cut into the 89, along with the sightline on the flange, and it would be money; especially in a 3x black or chocolate finish.
[/quote]

3x chocolate.. yummy!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Okay....the million dollar question which nobody has asked yet...which one do you like better. I know choosing is like choosing which kid you love more. But you must answer truthfully, nonpolitical answer!!!

Great review Tai.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

[quote name='rymail00' timestamp='1351397553' post='5857015']
Okay....the million dollar question which nobody has asked yet...which one do you like better. I know choosing is like choosing which kid you love more. But you must answer truthfully, nonpolitical answer!!!

Great review Tai.
[/quote]

To be honest - I'm not sure which one I like better. The one I use more is the 009. The Damascus 89 is one of the coolest putters I have seen made by anyone, especially outdoors. The feel of Damascus is really unique.. and again, it depends what mood I'm in as to which I prefer the feel of. The 009 is very soft for an SS putter, but the Damascus has a softer and very unique feel compared to other putters I have owned.

Brand appeal of the Scotty is far superior. The 009 has a larger "wow" factor since more people know Scotty's. The Byron has much more sentimental value to me, I will most likely never sell it - and I have seen it since its stage of being a raw Damascus block. I know I didn't really answer your question.. but there are very appealing things about both putters and both brands. You know? :tongue:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1351399456' post='5857079']
Where's the Ping?
[/quote]
Karsten started it all kinda like cars and Ford but you can't compare a Ford to a Ferrari. 009 Or Byron DH89 are in a different league.
Before anyone puts a hit out on me I'm not bashing Ping putters but they are cast and mass produced and do not provide the feel and feedback of a solid block of 303 stainless or soft carbon that has been milled and most likely handmade.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

[quote name='oneaugusta' timestamp='1351649902' post='5870399']
Where's the Ping?
[/quote]
Karsten started it all kinda like cars and Ford but you can't compare a Ford to a Ferrari. 009 Or Byron DH89 are in a different league.
Before anyone puts a hit out on me I'm not bashing Ping putters but they are cast and mass produced and do not provide the feel and feedback of a solid block of 303 stainless or soft carbon that has been milled and most likely handmade.
[/quote]

You may wish to read about the GT-40 or Shelby Cobra sometime.

Feel is completely subjective and I have putted some BeCu and MnBr castings that have feel that can rival their milled counterparts. And while Tai's putters have both seen a lot of hand work, they both started as CNC millings just like the other mass produced putters.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1351653105' post='5870617']
Where's the Ping?
[/quote]
[/quote]

Feel is completely subjective and I have putted some BeCu and MnBr castings that have feel that can rival their milled counterparts. And while Tai's putters have both seen a lot of hand work, they both started as CNC millings just like the other mass produced putters.
[/quote]

Funny you say that.. Byron has quite the collection of classic putters at his shop, many of them are Pings. for some of the lines on the putter, I literally had the Scottsdale 029 model in my hand for reference while he was shaping the 89. I do prefer the lines of an 009 to the "standard" output of the DH89, but again, you can request more softening to your preference.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1351653105' post='5870617']
Where's the Ping?
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Now it's getting serious, the GT-40 and Shelby's weren't production cars but I understand what you are saying I am a big fan of the Shelby's. The Pings you mentioned are great putters and I have a Copper B60 but it doesn't compare to my DH89 GS. AS I said I'm not bashing any of the Ping putters.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

• 2 months later...

Ping also makes milled SS putters, although I prefer Camerons. However, this article has me seriously considering driving from Irvine the short distance to Huntington Beach and putting down some cash for a German SS DH89 with softened lines. I just think it would be the coolest thing to watch someone hand craft your putter. Still talking north of a grand, but no where near the $8-10k a Scotty GSS 009 would fetch. That said, since I'm a bit of a club ho (who am I kidding), resale value is important for guys like me.

Cameron tour putters are like Rolex sport watches - if you buy them right, you'll never lose anything on them. Something to consider if you tend to ho ...

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

I own a stainless, carbon and gss DH-89, if you blind fold me, I would be nothing but luck to be able to feel the diffrence in feel between them,, your drive would be worth it,if he has a DH-89 with tuna milling, give it a try, you will impressed,,,, I drove from RIverside to pick up my first of 11 Byron's,,,, I was also a Cameron fan,but unless your a PGA star or someone famous,,, you'll never get a phone call from him like Byron is known to do to ensure he makes your putter just right,,,my avatar is a 8802 Style, Byron, German Stainless with a satin copper bath,,,

I have a 303 SS DH89 that will have some custom rounding on the way shortly, like within a week or two and I can't wait. It will be Blue Oiled Matte finish. Not quite as sexy as Tai's Damascus, but I did like his shape and have used it as a template for the rest of the work. I will post some pics once it gets here.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Great comparison Tai. Just to add something to some of the earlier comments.....these are just one example for each model. Odds are if you took 2 other putters to compare, some of those differences would disappear and some others might show up. I've seen 009's that have softened edges all over it and DH89's that are extremely clean and crisp....and vice versa. I've seen SS, Damascus, German SS, carbon (in all types of finishes), flow necks, plumbers necks, welded necks, long necks, center shafted, naked, dots, lines, etc.....versions of both. What does all that mean? To many of you - not much. To me? A lot. That means that I have two GREAT options of my favorite classic design, the Anser.

But even though I don't consider the actual putter models to be very different, in another way they are complete opposites. Byron gives you that small town, great service feel. You want it at 338.2 grams? Ask him for that. You want to stop by and see him hand work it? Ask him. You want something unique? Ask him. I think you get the point. But, on the other end. You want that putter with worldwide brand recognition? Find a Cameron. You want the model you might see with the PGA worm cam? Find a Cameron. You want a putter backed by one of the biggest names in Golf? Find a Cameron. You're looking for something in general and want something today? Search 009 on eBay, I'm sure you'll find one you like....and can probably have it tomorrow if you'd like. Again, I think you get the point.

In the end, both are great putters. If you're choosing one over the other for some silly reason, you're only cheating yourself. Enjoy them both.

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1357651366' post='6189441']
I have a 303 SS DH89 that will have some custom rounding on the way shortly, like within a week or two and I can't wait. It will be Blue Oiled Matte finish. Not quite as sexy as Tai's Damascus, but I did like his shape and have used it as a template for the rest of the work. I will post some pics once it gets here.
[/quote]

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='newportbeach' timestamp='1357662640' post='6190507']
[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1357651366' post='6189441']
[/quote]

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
[/quote]

Here it is. It turned out just like I wanted it.
http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php/topic,36468.0.html

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I'm sure you can get a Morgan DH 89 in a similair finish to that Cameron for a fraction of $2000... and the fraction i'm thinking of is around 25 to 35% of 2000... am i far off?

This Morgan is a Damascus steel custom order... admittedly without any Phantom of the Opera presentation.

If was going to spend $2000 on a putter, then this would be my Morgan Damascus, with the rolled topline etc of the Morgan above.

post-13484-1244821405-1.jpg

Full old thread here

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/269099-a-little-eye-candy-byron-damascus-dh-89/page__p__1756497__hl__damascus+steel+byron__fromsearch__1#entry1756497

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

• 10 months later...

[quote name='JDuffJr.' timestamp='1386116085' post='8244392']
[quote name='Medson' timestamp='1386110911' post='8243974']
Cosmetic.

[quote name='JDuffJr.' timestamp='1386110541' post='8243948']
What's the difference between a Dh89 with a rolled top line and a normal Dh89?
[/quote]
[/quote]

So does it make it have a thinner top line?
[/quote]
No, although from address it does appear thinner. I have DH89's with both flat and rounded top lines. Personally, I love the rounded top line. Fits the overall look and lines of the putter IMO

[quote name='Scotty1140' timestamp='1386116655' post='8244442']
[quote name='JDuffJr.' timestamp='1386116085' post='8244392']
[quote name='Medson' timestamp='1386110911' post='8243974']
Cosmetic.

[quote name='JDuffJr.' timestamp='1386110541' post='8243948']
What's the difference between a Dh89 with a rolled top line and a normal Dh89?
[/quote]
[/quote]

So does it make it have a thinner top line?
[/quote]
No, although from address it does appear thinner. I have DH89's with both flat and rounded top lines. Personally, I love the rounded top line. Fits the overall look and lines of the putter IMO
[/quote]

Oh it all makes sense now! haha thanks

• 5 months later...

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1351286578' post='5851417']
For those who don't want to spend a paycheck on a putter with a similar shape, the Piretti Potenza is a pretty darn good offering.
[/quote]

Very true, I own two potenza's and they are extremely similar to the tour rat I had. I couldn't justify keeping my scotty which was the 009 shape as I don't earn enough money to use a £1500 putter! I bought a potenza 2 and have never putter better. I had a couple of issues with the finish, piretti were unbelievable with their customer service and took care of everything instantly. I can't reccomend piretti highly enough, a great product and service!

I would take the DH89 over the 009 due to the value/performance, the ability to customize my putter the way I would prefer, the rolled top line of the DH89, the fact that the person designing this take of the Anser is doing the work on my putter, and the peace of mind that a Byron Morgan putter is as well made a putter than any offering in golf, including Scotty Cameron. I have owned putters offered by both people and the feel and performance of the Byron Morgan putters were as good, or better, than any Cameron putter I have owned.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on