2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

'13 Callaway X Forged Iron Pics (updated 2/2/13 w/ more Pics)

GolfWRX

[quote name='designdog' timestamp='1351172323' post='5843499']
These look much better than the Razr, but still too much junk in the trunk, in my opinion. Hopefully Callaway will embark on a more classic track, as opposed to the TaylorMade model they seem to have been following.

Recently I gathered up a bunch of my failed experiments clubs and bundled them off to an online retailer for credits against future club purchases. (Maybe these!) Callaway and TaylorMade had absolutely the lowest value retention of any manufacturer, while Ping and Titleist were at the top. It was disgusting. Now, I know we wrxers are not in it for long term club value, since we are changing them all the time, but that does speak to me of either quality of workmanship, or failed marketing, or both.

Another thought: when is Callaway going to get on the forged multi-material players club bandwagon, like Ping, Titleist, Mizuno, and Adams?
[/quote]

The two you mentioned with the lowest value retentions also are the ones with the two biggest market shares, so probably not causation linked to correlation. But I understand your point and don't necessarily disagree with some of the underlying premise. I remember studying a lot about Apple when I was in grad school and following their rise in consumer electronics (not computers) by applying their "Jesus Phone" model. (I won't go into the exact marketing model they are using/have used and "Jesus Model" is definitely a pejorative I am using). The one thing value they have incredible intensity about, at least while Jobs was there, was ensuring that when they claimed something was the "Jesus phone" they actually meant it and they wouldn't launch something entirely different in the same class a year later with a marketing message with an identical prologue ("This one really is the next big thing..."). It's critical for the consumer to feel that they are being led along in a partnership, a relationship, not being dragged by the collar. So we're definitely mindful of that, especially as it relates to the impassioned enthusiasts, who are most critical in our game in particular.

As for multi material forgings like the others you mentioned, we have a franchise that is in Japan called "Legacy" which is widely viewed as the high holy ground of a technical forging. (and widely imitated now, I might add). We don't have any plans to bring it to the United States (unless you all think there's a good market for $2000 iron sets), but breaking through technical barriers and finding ways to eliminate the compromises golfers think they make today (forged v tech) etc. is the game plan for us going forward.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Stretch' timestamp='1351177369' post='5843913']
[quote name='Rheenendal' timestamp='1351166318' post='5843195']
I think these irons have de-throned the Cobra S3 Pro's as the best looking iron I have ever laid on.[/quote]

We're all enthusiasts here, but your testing process sounds just a fraction [i]too[/i] rigorous.
[/quote]

I am having our graphic design team take this quote, blow it up, and hang it on my wall. Post of the year!

[quote name='Stretch' timestamp='1351177369' post='5843913']
[quote name='Rheenendal' timestamp='1351166318' post='5843195']
I think these irons have de-throned the Cobra S3 Pro's as the best looking iron I have ever laid on.[/quote]

We're all enthusiasts here, but your testing process sounds just a fraction [i]too[/i] rigorous.
[/quote]

Haha, fixed. :blush:

Driver: Ping G425 Max 9* | Tensei Orange 65S
Hybrid: Ping G425 19* | Tensei Orange 80HY-X
Irons: Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P | KBS $-Taper 120 Black
Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind 52* and 56*
Lob Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60* X-Grind
Putter: YES! Hanna

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1351176755' post='5843865']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1351172087' post='5843495']
Hey Harry do you guys know who if any staffers are switching to these on tour?
[/quote]

We won't truly know until you get into the season of course. So I won't make some big proclamation about that. I do know that Phil told me standing on the range at Colonial that these are the best irons we've ever made. Period. He's currently playing the MBs and said to my face that he's switching. But you never know, of course. Of the other guys I have personally witnessed with these, two guys not currently on our staff but on our staff for 2013 I believe will be playing these or another iron we have coming next year. I saw Luke List on Monday, he's currently playing (and naming every one of them, by the way) the MBs and said he thought he might be playing the X Forged next year. But again, we will see. Freddy Jacobson is currently playing Diablo Forged and when we were just goofing around hitting little wedges (he's injured and can't do full swings) he said he will be playing these or a different iron we have launching next year. He likes a package of feel AND forgiveness, so this one or the other one (which will be a longer hitting club with higher ball speeds and a different face technology) will probably be what he plays.
[/quote]

Great info. Glad to hear Phil's remarks. I could see him doing very well with these especially if they setup like the MB's but add a little help around the face. As for the other players it has to be hard when you have access to the cookie jar haha. So correct me if I'm wrong but next years line up with consist of MB's (no change), The Razr X forged, then a longer hitting, fast ball speed more forgiveness iron? ONe of the downsides to companies today is having WAY to many lines which end up confusing the end consumer and even retail shops. You would be surprised what some of these guys say about clubs.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1351178537' post='5844039']
[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1351176755' post='5843865']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1351172087' post='5843495']
Hey Harry do you guys know who if any staffers are switching to these on tour?
[/quote]

We won't truly know until you get into the season of course. So I won't make some big proclamation about that. I do know that Phil told me standing on the range at Colonial that these are the best irons we've ever made. Period. He's currently playing the MBs and said to my face that he's switching. But you never know, of course. Of the other guys I have personally witnessed with these, two guys not currently on our staff but on our staff for 2013 I believe will be playing these or another iron we have coming next year. I saw Luke List on Monday, he's currently playing (and naming every one of them, by the way) the MBs and said he thought he might be playing the X Forged next year. But again, we will see. Freddy Jacobson is currently playing Diablo Forged and when we were just goofing around hitting little wedges (he's injured and can't do full swings) he said he will be playing these or a different iron we have launching next year. He likes a package of feel AND forgiveness, so this one or the other one (which will be a longer hitting club with higher ball speeds and a different face technology) will probably be what he plays.
[/quote]

Great info. Glad to hear Phil's remarks. I could see him doing very well with these especially if they setup like the MB's but add a little help around the face. As for the other players it has to be hard when you have access to the cookie jar haha. So correct me if I'm wrong but next years line up with consist of MB's (no change), The Razr X forged, then a longer hitting, fast ball speed more forgiveness iron? ONe of the downsides to companies today is having WAY to many lines which end up confusing the end consumer and even retail shops. You would be surprised what some of these guys say about clubs.
[/quote]

More or less, that's our iron lineup for spring. Simple and clean. And as part of the process of helping you all shop, when we announce the entire line officially, we'll put up who the iron competes with in the market, since not all companies plan their ranges exactly the same way.

I don't quite understand the objection to bringing the legacy over here. Yes they are expensive, but how much is it to get them over here and put them for sale, in very limited quantities, and if they don't sell, keep them in some sort of back order status for japan, and ship them back. You're out shipping, and you're already shipping the x forged from the Far East anyway.

[quote name='callawayjay' timestamp='1351185978' post='5844889']
I don't quite understand the objection to bringing the legacy over here. Yes they are expensive, but how much is it to get them over here and put them for sale, in very limited quantities, and if they don't sell, keep them in some sort of back order status for japan, and ship them back. You're out shipping, and you're already shipping the x forged from the Far East anyway.
[/quote]

I agree Jay. Ping already has a premium priced iron in the Anser, but Legacy would certainly set Callaway apart from TM in iron offerings. Even if you don't sell many, there still must be some value in having a huge advantage at the very top of your iron offering.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1351186957' post='5845015']
[quote name='callawayjay' timestamp='1351185978' post='5844889']
[/quote]

I agree Jay. Ping already has a premium priced iron in the Anser, but Legacy would certainly set Callaway apart from TM in iron offerings. Even if you don't sell many, there still must be some value in having a huge advantage at the very top of your iron offering.
[/quote]

Great feedback. That's why we are here.

As much quality that is already evident in the 2013 offerings we know about and the Legacy reputation overseas, it may not hurt to at least put them in the 2013 fitting cart for us retail guys? I had a guy that was hitting an OEM's generic SI club(cast) and fell in love...the forged model we did not stock, I asked him to hit the one demo club we were sent...he fell out and into love with the forged version immediately and decided to order the forged. He didn't ask how much, besides it was going to his Florida home instead of keeping that set in Missouri. the cast was $500, the forged version was $875 for 7 clubs. so if they are looking at a set for $900 and they can justify the difference of $900-$1000 more for the other set...some will do so without hesitation. just sayin.

I didn't think we could sell the two MAX improvement offerings that came out this year that were $1399 per set...and they were both gone within a week of us getting them. Some people will buy anything and everything.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Some people at least at my club will buy the more expensive clubs because of ego and they like people knowing they have the top dollar stuff. Callaway offering the legacy stuff in small numbers in certain geographic regions would be a good move IMO.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1351194166' post='5845831']
Like a once great icon of US history once said... And I'm paraphrasing a bit... GIVE ME FORGED OR GIVE ME DEATH!!
[/quote]

golfware is WRX's Billy Mays! I want to see you on an infomercial.

BTW, I love your avatar. I hear "the bad guy"'s voice when I read your posts.

[quote name='Bogey's Belly' timestamp='1351194874' post='5845891']
[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1351194166' post='5845831']
Like a once great icon of US history once said... And I'm paraphrasing a bit... GIVE ME FORGED OR GIVE ME DEATH!!
[/quote]

golfware is WRX's Billy Mays! I want to see you on an infomercial.

BTW, I love your avatar. I hear "the bad guy"'s voice when I read your posts.
[/quote]

LOL. Now that's funny.

Great looking club!

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 8.0 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ 7X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

[quote name='Turbosnake' timestamp='1351196686' post='5846031']
Hey Harry... just curious how is the HEX Chrome [color=#000000]Yellow[/color] ball selling for you guys? i love it BTW.. i hope you keep making them....
[/quote]
Wouldn't "Chrome Yellow" = Brass?

I think there should be a rebrand. "Hex Brass... It takes Brass Balls to Attack the Hole!"

[size=2]*Dude! You edited![/size]

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

Hey Harry... just curious how are the Musclebacks still selling for you guys? i love them BTW.. i hope you keep making them....
[/quote]

They are doing well. But "well" by MB standards is still a really REALLY small segment of the market. We will always have a true blade iron out there. Roger is already working on the shaping and finish for the next one.

I can't wait to see what the new MB will look like when Roger is done with them. Back on topic, these new sticks are tempting me...I have a set of 07 X-forged as a back-up set, but it may be time to replace those.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1351197339' post='5846087']
Hey Harry... just curious how are the Musclebacks still selling for you guys? i love them BTW.. i hope you keep making them....
[/quote]

They are doing well. But "well" by MB standards is still a really REALLY small segment of the market. We will always have a true blade iron out there. Roger is already working on the shaping and finish for the next one.
[/quote]

2014 release for the new MB? I currently play the Razr MBs and love them. Not sure how much you could improve on them really...

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1351199099' post='5846187']
I've always liked the look of the Legacy's...couldn't figure out why Callaway never offered them in the US, probably would have purchased a set...but I like the look of the news X Forged better.
[/quote]

The great thing would be to setup a cell design and use all the lean mfg tools to drive the costs down for a small limited release of this product to the US. It would sell well and Callaway can achieve the margins they want. A win-win situation.