2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

'13 Callaway X Forged Iron Pics (updated 2/2/13 w/ more Pics)

GolfWRX

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1351913064' post='5885239']
My neighbor is moving and just dropped off a whole bunch of his home micro brew so I'm sitting here trying to catch up on my backlogs of Boardwalk Empire. I'm not sure how you guys keep up your stamina on this site....I digress...

The X Forged is sort of neither satin nor chrome. How's that for an answer?! At address, you'll see it as a muted satin, reducing glare, etc. But the back of it is kind of a blend of chrome with satin accents. It's hard to describe. You'll just have to see it I guess.

The Marketing Warrior Princess in the office has described it as if "you pimped out your ride in a classy way." Not sure how "classy" and "pimp" go together but she actually nailed it, I think.
[/quote]
Priorities are priorities...go back to the micro brews. :-)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1351968229' post='5886883']
[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1351968059' post='5886871']
Aren't we supposed to buy new irons every year?? Is that not the case?? I wonder why the guys in the shop look at me funny. LOL
[/quote]

I thought buying new irons was a twice a year thing???
[/quote]

Some years it is. LOL

Now with drivers though....,

[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1351969159' post='5886933']
Aren't we supposed to buy new irons every year?? Is that not the case?? I wonder why the guys in the shop look at me funny. LOL
[/quote]

[/quote]

Some years it is. LOL

[/quote]

bi-monthly*

Loyalty to a brand

I'm 6 years old, and my father is the strongest man in the universe. And today is a good day, because he is going to take me golfing. This isn't an activity that happens often, so I am fully prepared by the time he gets home from work. Shoes are tied, shirt is tucked in, the only cap I own which happens to be a coors lite hat is on my head, and my homemade cut down Hogans are ready to be used once again. There is a pw, 7 iron, 5 iron, some no brand putter, and a cut down 5 wood of which I can't remember the name on the sole. We start on number 13 because our house sits next to the tee box. My father to me is the best golfer who ever picked up a club, so with every shot I actually make contact with is enough to get the praise I so desire from his facial expression. As every few shots go straight, the smile on his face is enough to make me want more. I am hooked.

Now a 13 year old, golf isn't as important to me as it once was. I play basketball, football, and other sports. But when I want some quality time with dad, I ask if we can go hit a few. Sometimes he says yes, other times no, but when we get to play together it is our special time. By now I have outgrown those old hogans, and my dad surprises me with a new set of clubs. My uncle who flies for a shipping company picked them up oversees and my father built them. They are big brothers. Big Bertha copies, but at the time I had no idea what big berthas were so they were awesome. I break 100 for the first time with these.

Now I'm 15and going out for the highschool golf team. I have heard rumors that if you can't bench 120 you can't be on the team. Childhood rumors. Hahahahahah. I make the jv team by shooting a 92. By now I know I'm hitting fakes. Everytime our team practices, I am always on the end of everyone's jokes. I now know what I really want. I want the big berthas that several of the other players on the team have. When I ask my dad to get a new set he tells me that my set is fine and only a few years old. He also plays these fakes and sees nothing wrong with them. My interest in golf starts to falter. It's not the game, it's the constant barrage of insults. I quit the team after 1 tournament.

Now I am 25 and recently moved back to Texas. In the last 10 years I have only played around 20 times. Being back I join my fathers Sunday game. He plays with my brother in law and has for several years now. So I am the new blood and the bottom of the pecking order. And yes I am still playing the big brothers. This makes me an easy target so I decide if I'm going to continue playing, I need a real set of clubs. I find a used set of x-14's at the proshop for $100 and my game automatically starts to improve. I break 90 for the first time. But I am always the D player in the group that is led by my brother in law. He games the x-tours and is a 6-7 handicap. He and my father have a very close relationship that I wish I had with dad. It seems that golf is what brings them together so I make it my mission to become a player.

Golf doesn't bring my father and I closer together. More than anything, it puts me in direct competition with my brother in law. For the most part, he gets the better of me. But every once in a while I take the money. He has a way better job than me and always has the latest and greatest golf gear. He is now using the x prototypes. And I now have my first gear crush. Just the way they look slicing through the grass, or just sitting in his bag. My x-14s are great, but affording a new set is I nowhere near being in the cards. But now I have set my allegiance. I am a callaway guy.

I am now 29 years old and things have changed drastically. My brother in law has cancer, and rarely plays due to the chemo and radiation. When he does play, he has gone back to the x tours because of their forgiveness. Mostly we watch our favorite players on tv, Phil, Ernie, Furyk and anyone who has Callaway on the bag. He now kind of lives vicariously through my golf game. Asking about course conditions, funny stories at the clubhouse and such. As time goes by, he loses his ability to speak. But his tv in the bedroom is always on the golf channel. Being on hospice, he gets to live at the house which is much better than being stuck in the hospital. But after a few recent tests, there is hope that maybe all the cancer is gone. Everyone is very optimistic, and yet guarded because we have all heard this before.

I just purchased my first new used set of golf clubs. Razr x tours. And believe me they are sweet. I got one heck of a deal on them. A buddy only played a few months with them and sold them to me for $300. Immediately I can tell a difference in my game. I break 80 within a month of owning them. I hit my all time low within 3 months. 73. I am now regularly shooting mid 70's. Never before would I have said that a club could make all the difference. But now I can. And I believe it so much that I now trust Callaway for every club in my bag. I have a Steelhead III that hasn't failed me yet, a warbird 3 wood, x-tour wedges, and an Odyssey putter to go along with my Razr's. my game has never been so good, and yet it all feels hollow. My family is struggling with life and I'm trying to keep my mind occupied with golf. It's all I can do to not just cry.

My brother in law died in april 2011. This devastated my entire family. My father took it extremely hard. Everyone took it extremely hard. He was only 35. He was put to rest in all of his golf gear, including his putter in his hands. After he passed, my sister gave me his prototypes. I believed that I would play these and in someway, carry on his legacy. At this point, my game was on par with his at his best. But for some reason, I just could not play them. Not as much technique as my brother in law had. That's ok. I still game my razr's.

And yet a week ago my heart stopped once again. While searching the Internet for anything Callaway, I stumbled upon a picture of the new x forged 2013 irons on a website called Golfwrx. I felt the same way when I first saw my brother in laws prototypes. Like a kid in early December looking through a toy catalogue dreaming of the one toy he so desperately had to have. Now understand, I'm like every other lower middle class golfer who goes to the store and hits all the new clubs, understanding that you will probably never purchase a set brand new, but still loving the fact that once the new equipment comes out the prices drop. But these irons haven't even come out yet and I am thinking of what I can sell and how I can convince my wife to let me spend money on these when there are other things that need to be taken care of. It's not going to happen, but a man needs to dream:)

My father doesn't play anymore. He went a few rounds with me after all that had happened, but just didn't have it in him anymore. But that is ok. I still play as often as possible. I now have a family of my own with a 3 year old son. It's funny, he can now hit the ball pretty well. He has his orange Callaway hat and waits for me to take him to hit balls. And when he is old enough, he will get his first set of Callaways and I will explain to him the history that the brand has had with his family. It's not just golf in itself, it's a loyalty to a company that has been there through the best and worst of times. I can promise you this, he won't be hitting any big brothers. So keep being a leader of the industry because you are why I keep playing. Thanks Callaway.

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1351894147' post='5884195']
[quote name='tigercolt77' timestamp='1351891402' post='5884021']
Harry or any of the Callaway guys,
I have been wanting to pull the trigger on the razr X muscle back irons then the info on these was released... So my question is, will it be possible to get combo sets of the new X forged and the muscle backs through special order? 4-7 in the 2013 X forged and 8-pw in the muscle? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate that you guys come on here and post information and answer questions. Looking forward to the 2013 lineup from Callaway!!
[/quote]
I definitely think you can do that. If you have any issues doing it through your retailer or through our customer service, just let Chad or me know.
[/quote]

Thanks! Sounds great, can't wait to hit the new ones. I appreciate you responding to my question as well.

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

[quote name='Bogey's Belly' timestamp='1351970117' post='5886989']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Some years it is. LOL

[/quote]

bi-monthly*
[/quote]

Yup, it was like quarterly for me this past year....

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1351995958' post='5888251']
[quote name='Bogey's Belly' timestamp='1351970117' post='5886989']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Some years it is. LOL

[/quote]

bi-monthly*
[/quote]

Yup, it was like quarterly for me this past year....
[/quote]

Weekly

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='Jackjv21' timestamp='1351973321' post='5887177']
Loyalty to a brand

I'm 6 years old, and my father is the strongest man in the universe. And today is a good day, because he is going to take me golfing. This isn't an activity that happens often, so I am fully prepared by the time he gets home from work. Shoes are tied, shirt is tucked in, the only cap I own which happens to be a coors lite hat is on my head, and my homemade cut down Hogans are ready to be used once again. There is a pw, 7 iron, 5 iron, some no brand putter, and a cut down 5 wood of which I can't remember the name on the sole. We start on number 13 because our house sits next to the tee box. My father to me is the best golfer who ever picked up a club, so with every shot I actually make contact with is enough to get the praise I so desire from his facial expression. As every few shots go straight, the smile on his face is enough to make me want more. I am hooked.

Now a 13 year old, golf isn't as important to me as it once was. I play basketball, football, and other sports. But when I want some quality time with dad, I ask if we can go hit a few. Sometimes he says yes, other times no, but when we get to play together it is our special time. By now I have outgrown those old hogans, and my dad surprises me with a new set of clubs. My uncle who flies for a shipping company picked them up oversees and my father built them. They are big brothers. Big Bertha copies, but at the time I had no idea what big berthas were so they were awesome. I break 100 for the first time with these.

Now I'm 15and going out for the highschool golf team. I have heard rumors that if you can't bench 120 you can't be on the team. Childhood rumors. Hahahahahah. I make the jv team by shooting a 92. By now I know I'm hitting fakes. Everytime our team practices, I am always on the end of everyone's jokes. I now know what I really want. I want the big berthas that several of the other players on the team have. When I ask my dad to get a new set he tells me that my set is fine and only a few years old. He also plays these fakes and sees nothing wrong with them. My interest in golf starts to falter. It's not the game, it's the constant barrage of insults. I quit the team after 1 tournament.

Now I am 25 and recently moved back to Texas. In the last 10 years I have only played around 20 times. Being back I join my fathers Sunday game. He plays with my brother in law and has for several years now. So I am the new blood and the bottom of the pecking order. And yes I am still playing the big brothers. This makes me an easy target so I decide if I'm going to continue playing, I need a real set of clubs. I find a used set of x-14's at the proshop for $100 and my game automatically starts to improve. I break 90 for the first time. But I am always the D player in the group that is led by my brother in law. He games the x-tours and is a 6-7 handicap. He and my father have a very close relationship that I wish I had with dad. It seems that golf is what brings them together so I make it my mission to become a player.

Golf doesn't bring my father and I closer together. More than anything, it puts me in direct competition with my brother in law. For the most part, he gets the better of me. But every once in a while I take the money. He has a way better job than me and always has the latest and greatest golf gear. He is now using the x prototypes. And I now have my first gear crush. Just the way they look slicing through the grass, or just sitting in his bag. My x-14s are great, but affording a new set is I nowhere near being in the cards. But now I have set my allegiance. I am a callaway guy.

I am now 29 years old and things have changed drastically. My brother in law has cancer, and rarely plays due to the chemo and radiation. When he does play, he has gone back to the x tours because of their forgiveness. Mostly we watch our favorite players on tv, Phil, Ernie, Furyk and anyone who has Callaway on the bag. He now kind of lives vicariously through my golf game. Asking about course conditions, funny stories at the clubhouse and such. As time goes by, he loses his ability to speak. But his tv in the bedroom is always on the golf channel. Being on hospice, he gets to live at the house which is much better than being stuck in the hospital. But after a few recent tests, there is hope that maybe all the cancer is gone. Everyone is very optimistic, and yet guarded because we have all heard this before.

I just purchased my first new used set of golf clubs. Razr x tours. And believe me they are sweet. I got one heck of a deal on them. A buddy only played a few months with them and sold them to me for $300. Immediately I can tell a difference in my game. I break 80 within a month of owning them. I hit my all time low within 3 months. 73. I am now regularly shooting mid 70's. Never before would I have said that a club could make all the difference. But now I can. And I believe it so much that I now trust Callaway for every club in my bag. I have a Steelhead III that hasn't failed me yet, a warbird 3 wood, x-tour wedges, and an Odyssey putter to go along with my Razr's. my game has never been so good, and yet it all feels hollow. My family is struggling with life and I'm trying to keep my mind occupied with golf. It's all I can do to not just cry.

My brother in law died in april 2011. This devastated my entire family. My father took it extremely hard. Everyone took it extremely hard. He was only 35. He was put to rest in all of his golf gear, including his putter in his hands. After he passed, my sister gave me his prototypes. I believed that I would play these and in someway, carry on his legacy. At this point, my game was on par with his at his best. But for some reason, I just could not play them. Not as much technique as my brother in law had. That's ok. I still game my razr's.

And yet a week ago my heart stopped once again. While searching the Internet for anything Callaway, I stumbled upon a picture of the new x forged 2013 irons on a website called Golfwrx. I felt the same way when I first saw my brother in laws prototypes. Like a kid in early December looking through a toy catalogue dreaming of the one toy he so desperately had to have. Now understand, I'm like every other lower middle class golfer who goes to the store and hits all the new clubs, understanding that you will probably never purchase a set brand new, but still loving the fact that once the new equipment comes out the prices drop. But these irons haven't even come out yet and I am thinking of what I can sell and how I can convince my wife to let me spend money on these when there are other things that need to be taken care of. It's not going to happen, but a man needs to dream:)

My father doesn't play anymore. He went a few rounds with me after all that had happened, but just didn't have it in him anymore. But that is ok. I still play as often as possible. I now have a family of my own with a 3 year old son. It's funny, he can now hit the ball pretty well. He has his orange Callaway hat and waits for me to take him to hit balls. And when he is old enough, he will get his first set of Callaways and I will explain to him the history that the brand has had with his family. It's not just golf in itself, it's a loyalty to a company that has been there through the best and worst of times. I can promise you this, he won't be hitting any big brothers. So keep being a leader of the industry because you are why I keep playing. Thanks Callaway.
[/quote]
Amazing and although not a calloway man i see that loyalty and family can go hand in hand, just not in golf but please chip afew for me with you son.

KING LTD PRO Driver & KING LTD 3 Wood Stock Stiff shafts and length
PING e1 Irons 5-PW and PING Glide SS 48,52,56,TS60 all with Stock Length and Black Lie angle with Nippon Modus 105 Stiff shafts
Odyssey 2 ball Fang Putter with Superstroke Pistol 1.0 Grip and Nike RZN Tour Platinum Ball

[attachment=1407761:20121104_000248.jpg]

Got a pic of Phil handing his iron to Bones, it's a little fuzzy but it looks like it might be the new 2013 X forged??

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

[quote name='tigercolt77' timestamp='1352002609' post='5888657']
[attachment=1407761:20121104_000248.jpg]

Got a pic of Phil handing his iron to Bones, it's a little fuzzy but you can tell for sure it's the new 2013 X Forged, not sure if that was confirmed before..
[/quote]

That is is regular Razr MB…

Is there an internet live stream?

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1351655708' post='5870813']
[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1351654843' post='5870755']
[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1351623523' post='5868243']
[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1351592442' post='5866059']
[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1351262102' post='5849319']
[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1351243211' post='5848563']
[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1351156726' post='5842977']
Thank you very much Callaway for putting these pictures up. The irons look superb. My Razr x forged and original proto's are looking like rather worries they will be finding new homes.

If the new irons matched with the PXI shaft spin less and are effected as much by the wind, will this mean that won't grab and stop as good as previous offerings? I only ask this as there must be some sort of trade off for less spin and lower trajectory. Also the loft thing intrigues me, stating a club goes further and then knocking a degree of the previous models loft isn't that a tad misleading? I am not sure, I hear alot of guys saying "Just got a new set of irons and man I am knocking them 1o yards more than my old ones. Then I tell them to have a look at the lofts on these. What used to be a 47 degree PW is now a 45 degree pw. So really the current day PW is the nine iron of old. Why are companies continuing to take loft off clubs? Why can't the PW be 47 degree's?

I think we really need to get away from this distance seeking thing and focus on accuracy and stopping power. All the clubs from 5 years ago go far enough when struck well. The better players want feel and accurance not distance and the ability to stop dead or a one hop and stop shot. Just my thoughts.

Thanks again for putting the pictures up and lets hope the lefties get looked after with these being available to them.

JB
[/quote]

Was hoping to get a reply. but maybe the Callaway guys just missed my post.
[/quote]

I just missed this one, sorry. I'm going to get Alan Hocknell, head of R&D to answer this one. He just shot a 79 from the back tees at Bethpage, so he's in a good mood...
[/quote]

Is Allan going to respond to this thread?
[/quote]

Sorry, didn't get back to you sooner on this one. The short answer is it depends on your launch condition but the set is designed to have flighted launch conditions. The long irons launch higher, and the short irons launch lower. This is what people talk about with "launch window." So in other words, your irons will appear to launch at the same trajectory and have a similar looking apex. These will not have that ballooning affect you see sometimes with the short irons, especially into the wind.
[/quote]

Thank you for the response and I know it is time consuming responding to the multitudes of questions on the site.
I understand launch conditions and how it effects distance. I was more concerned about the spin and why the lofts are being reduced. The fact that the statement was mad ealier that these irons spin less and the flight isd less effected by wind is great. How does the less spin effect stopping power on greens. To me less spin equals less bite on the green. If the new irons matched with the PXI shaft spin less and are not effected as much by the wind, will this mean that won't grab and stop as good as previous offerings? I only ask this as there must be some sort of trade off for less spin and lower trajectory? Can you please explain this?
Less spin means lean spin to me and that would equal less stopping power especially when the short irons will be coming in lower and hotter. Please advise.
[/quote]

Oh sorry, I whiffed on your original question. I'll get the technical answer to that one tomorrow for you. Sorry.
[/quote]
bump

[quote name='Jackjv21' timestamp='1351973321' post='5887177']
Loyalty to a brand

[/quote]

I could see where you could sometimes relate a brand to memories, good and bad. I was that way with MacGregor. I was a die hard fan and had many memories of my many rounds of golf, good, bad and all the good times along with it.
I would give you the same advice I saw another give you. Share the moments with your own son. Work to get your Dad back in the game and share your life experiences together. Golf is a great game and brings friends and family together.
don't let some nimrod tell you this is "weird" - quite the contrary.

Thanks. It's funny, but when I think back over a lot of things I don't remember all the fine details. What I do remember though is how whenever the new clubs would come out how I so looked forward to just getting next to them. Or like with the 09 forged, being scared to hit them but still wanting to give it a shot. And it was always Callaway.

And although my cowboys and Phil lost yesterday, I shot my best round ever!!!! Even par with my Razr tours!!!! Missed a 2 footer on 18 for a 69. DOH!!!!!! Call me a fanboy, but Lets go Callaway!!!!!!

I'm a huge fan of the 07 x-forged and they have served me well. However, I'm definately in the market for an upgrade.........are there any comparison pics out there between the new irons and recent models?

I haven't hit the PXi shaft (haven't seen it here in the UK), but love the flighted shaft........apart from overall weight how do they differ?

Thanks

[quote name='Jackjv21' timestamp='1352125510' post='5893261']
Call me a fanboy, but Lets go Callaway!!!!!!
[/quote]

Hey, I am definitely looking at the 2013 line of Callaway irons to see if I can put something I like in my bag (to replace the 710 AP1's that are in my bag now.) Lately, I've been feeling a little nostalgic and like you, I have Callaway loyalty issues. Sometimes I feel like a traitor for going away. I grew up in Eli Callaway's birthplace/hometown. His uncle Fuller Callaway gave so much money to the area that I used to spend time at the Callaway Educational Association (CEA). I learned to swim at Callaway Pool. I played football at Callaway stadium.

Maybe my doldrums in my game recently are caused by the bad mojo of going away from Callaway. :) Come on Harry & the rest of you guys, let's go. ha ha ha

[quote name='jokerusn' timestamp='1351433499' post='5857755']
This might be my year to get new irons. I thought it wasn't going to be much of a search with the Adams CMBs having stock CTapers but these are now in mix. My only concern is the loft. I don't need to hit the ball farther. 130 with a 48* PW is just fine for what I want. A 46* PW is just wrong for a players' iron, IMO. My 07 Xforged may have to stay in the bag longer if a GW/50* isn't an option with the set.
[/quote]

I guess the number one player in the world is wrong then because that's what his PW is.

[quote name='Jackjv21' timestamp='1352151056' post='5895205']
One does not simply swim in a Callaway pool:) that's awesome!!!!!
[/quote]

The pool and the educational association are part of the college now. But the stadium is still Callaway Stadium.
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callaway_Stadium"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callaway_Stadium[/url]