2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

UPDATED VIDEO & PICS: Nike Covert Drivers, Woods & Irons

HipCheck

@Eddie, those setups you have are gorgeous and I bet they perform just as nicely!

My first impression of the Covert Tour was "man, this thing sounds exactly like Rory's does on TV!". I'm still not sold on the red, but the shape is one of the best classic shapes I have seen in a while. The CT goes far! I hit it side by side shafted with a 7M3 against my VR LTD w/ DI6x and R1 Tour head. The CT was the longest of the bunch, but definitely not the most forgiving. I want to try one shafted up with a Speeder TS 7.2 and see what it really can do :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1361980692' post='6513393']
@Eddie, those setups you have are gorgeous and I bet they perform just as nicely!

My first impression of the Covert Tour was "man, this thing sounds exactly like Rory's does on TV!". I'm still not sold on the red, but the shape is one of the best classic shapes I have seen in a while. The CT goes far! I hit it side by side shafted with a 7M3 against my VR LTD w/ DI6x and R1 Tour head. The CT was the longest of the bunch, but definitely not the most forgiving. I want to try one shafted up with a Speeder TS 7.2 and see what it really can do :)
[/quote]

Uh oh... The VR LTD my finally get dethroned this year....

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1361981735' post='6513513']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1361980692' post='6513393']

[/quote]

Uh oh... The VR LTD my finally get dethroned this year....
[/quote]

It has for the time being already.. I got a R1 Tour head in it's place right now.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='OPIE98LMB' timestamp='1361333285' post='6462937']
Ordered mine from Discount Dans on the 8th and it is being delivered tomorrow!! Got the performance head with the tour shaft (60S). Can't wait to hit it on the course. If you are debating on ordering anything custom, make sure you order from Discount Dans! Great people and awesome pricing, this was my first order from them and won't be my last.
[/quote]
What's the secret to buying from DiscountDan's? I have heard so many positive things about them and their pricing; i've made several inquires on pricing and they weren't cheap. Ex: TW13 shoes they quoted me $160. I ended up getting the from budgetgolf for $127 shipped.

Whats in my B.A.G?
WITB Link

Picking up my performance head, KK Silver 60, 44.5" this weekend. At some point I'm going to pick up a second shaft. Would love recommendations from the very knowledge wrx members.

My swing speed is 97 - 99mph. Smooth transition. Average 245-250 yds. 6 handicap. Typically play stiff flex. prefer tight dispersion vs. extra 5 yards. Typical ballflight is a baby fade. Always liked feel of Aldila shafts. Dislike boardy feel.

Any suggestions?

Just got the bigger head with the Oban Kyoshi. Set to 10.5 open (right). I'm launching at 12*+ with about 2550 spin at 165 mph ball speed.

I took the shaft into a store to try the tour head as they had some demos. Had to go to 11.5 open and the spin still didn't really get above 2250 while ball speeds increased about 3 mph. I definitely am longer with the tour head, but am so much more comfortable with the larger head. The tour head really is a "tour head"...not the most forgiving in the world, but man it launches high, low-spin bombs. I tend to miss my drivers towards the heel and toe, not so much sole to crown--so the larger head was perfect for me.

[quote name='JCJerseyGolf' timestamp='1362153084' post='6526787']
Picking up my performance head, KK Silver 60, 44.5" this weekend. At some point I'm going to pick up a second shaft. Would love recommendations from the very knowledge wrx members.

My swing speed is 97 - 99mph. Smooth transition. Average 245-250 yds. 6 handicap. Typically play stiff flex. prefer tight dispersion vs. extra 5 yards. Typical ballflight is a baby fade. Always liked feel of Aldila shafts. Dislike boardy feel.

Any suggestions?
[/quote]

What swing weight did that come out to? That is the exact setup I am looking for.

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

[quote name='jashton88' timestamp='1362125237' post='6525151']
[quote name='OPIE98LMB' timestamp='1361333285' post='6462937']
Ordered mine from Discount Dans on the 8th and it is being delivered tomorrow!! Got the performance head with the tour shaft (60S). Can't wait to hit it on the course. If you are debating on ordering anything custom, make sure you order from Discount Dans! Great people and awesome pricing, this was my first order from them and won't be my last.
[/quote]
What's the secret to buying from DiscountDan's? I have heard so many positive things about them and their pricing; i've made several inquires on pricing and they weren't cheap. Ex: TW13 shoes they quoted me $160. I ended up getting the from budgetgolf for $127 shipped.
[/quote]

Well they ain't gonna be rock bottom pricing on every piece of golf equipment available. Come on now. $160 is cheaper than the $180 they go for retail plus tax aren't they? As for the Covert I got it was over $60 cheaper than I could pick one up at my local Golf Galxy for. But there's no "secret" per say to get even more of a discount. If they were the cheapest on everything then I guess no other retailer would exist and we would all just buy from them. Sometimes u have to shop around.

$0.02 if anyone is interest, tried searching too to see if this post belonged here or starting a thread sorry mods if this is a no go. My curiosity has been really sparked with all the new clubs coming out. Im not a single digit Handicap golfer so I am one of those middle of the road players I have my good days and bad days, I think I have a pretty non bias opinion at this point. So on with it, I currently game a 07 burner TP 65 S. I like it if it ain't broke don't fix it club. Tried the RBZ, tried the R11 & S, tried the Titleist 910 D2/D3 & 913 D2/D3, just to see what is was all about but just couldn't justify $300+ for a club I swing 14 times compared to 50 and not get much better than the TP

Had a great opportunity to see a fitter today, initially I had a chance to hit the R1 much to say its a good club, just wasn't feeling it. So the fitter next to me says did you want to give the Nike a try. I smiled and said, yes sir, I am. He asked my what I wanted it setup, i told him stiff heavier shaft than this R1 and neutral it out so i can just see what my swing does. Started off with the Nike Covert Performance 10.5 60 S. Hit 3 balls all 3 within a 10 yard dispersion and averaged about 265-275 yards. This seemed a little off as I hit my TP about 250 average so I thought...meh, maybe it was the LM. In any case I told him I heard that the performance was better for a gamer like myself. He told me give the Tour a try and see how you feel.

I switched the head, same setting and shaft. took 3 swings and hit within a 10 yard dispersion again, but this time I was averaging about 280-295 distance, I couldn't believe it. Now again I think the LM was off but the fact that it was giving me almost a 10-15 yard gain was almost amazing. Not looking at the actual distances, but between each club. The fitter told me lets get you to 300 I laughed so we brought it down to 9.5 to see if we could bring the launch down and roll it out. To my disappointment. I could not get it, so we swapped it back and guess what....3 more balls 300-305 of course I was swinging out of my shoes but it got there and it was straight too!

Played around with 3 more shafts to see if we can optimize the shots I got a 315yard drive by dispersion was about 25 yards not worth the distance. Long story short. I was happy with the dispersion of the Covert Tour even though the Performance was supposedly a better fit. I hit the Tour much more consistent and got about 10-15 yards more out of it. The feel was amazing, I hit it and felt great, the looks didn't bother me a single bit and the sound was not crazy or annoying. My comparison today was against the R1 which again is a great club, but busy graphics, the head is huge and I say HUGE! The feel felt funny it was like a beer can at the end of the club and it felt like I was crushing the face of the club and not the ball. Sound was muted and nice but just wasn't feeling it. I did take a couple of swings with it in between to make sure it wasn't a fluke and I just couldn't match the numbers I had with the Nike.

If you are in the market for a driver, it never hurts to try. My ego and my curiosity was tested, but I will say try it, it might work, just because it says tour on it, doesn't mean its out of your league, if you can hit, what the heck right?

Sorry dont got LM stats but I remembered quite a bit of them in my head. LMK if you want a little more detail.

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='rfarrell51' timestamp='1362168431' post='6528811']

Any suggestions?
[/quote]

What swing weight did that come out to? That is the exact setup I am looking for.
[/quote]

[quote name='JCJerseyGolf' timestamp='1362330336' post='6538729']
[quote name='rfarrell51' timestamp='1362168431' post='6528811']

Any suggestions?
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

D0

[quote name='ppauls99' timestamp='1362337722' post='6539213']
Can somebody please link me to a PDF OF Nikes aftermarket shaft options???? Im looking at building a all nike bag but I want to see what shafts we have avail for the driver / irons and grips and all that stuff!
[/quote]

Similar to Titleist, Nike will special order ANY shaft that they do not have in inventory. So, you can have anything you want!

Just had the following combo built up for me by the guys at The Club Fix for me.

Very smooth combo with the B series shaft.

Taylormade M5 w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo V 661 6S
Taylormade SIM 3W w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo V 661 6S
Titleist 918 H 21 w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 7S
PXG 0311 4-PW w/ KBS Tour 90
Artisan wedges 50, 54, 58
Nike "the Oven" Method Origin, Piretti Copper Cortino, Byron Morgan DH89, Scotty Fastback 1.0

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1362338811' post='6539311']
[quote name='ppauls99' timestamp='1362337722' post='6539213']
Can somebody please link me to a PDF OF Nikes aftermarket shaft options???? Im looking at building a all nike bag but I want to see what shafts we have avail for the driver / irons and grips and all that stuff!
[/quote]

Similar to Titleist, Nike will special order ANY shaft that they do not have in inventory. So, you can have anything you want!
[/quote]

im sure they have a stock set of aftermarket shafts they use no? The web site is soooo crappy.

[quote name='ppauls99' timestamp='1362345008' post='6539903']
does anyone know if the diamana S+ Blue is avail from nike?

Can somebody please put up a link of the nike aftermarket options? Its listed here somewhere I just can't find it.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what you didn't understand about my post.

They will get anything and everything you want, So yes, they have it.

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1362347689' post='6540139']
[quote name='ppauls99' timestamp='1362345008' post='6539903']
does anyone know if the diamana S+ Blue is avail from nike?

Can somebody please put up a link of the nike aftermarket options? Its listed here somewhere I just can't find it.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what you didn't understand about my post.

They will get anything and everything you want, So yes, they have it.
[/quote]

I understood. I asked for a link that shows detailed specs and what shafts are avail and that they stock. EVERY Oem has one. Titleist Ping have PDFs you can download. Taylor made and callaway show multiple shaft upgrades right on the specs sheet. Nike doesnt list anything on the site. It's so bad.

[quote name='ppauls99' timestamp='1362352347' post='6540631']

I understood. I asked for a link that shows detailed specs and what shafts are avail and that they stock. EVERY Oem has one. Titleist Ping have PDFs you can download. Taylor made and callaway show multiple shaft upgrades right on the specs sheet. Nike doesnt list anything on the site. It's so bad.
[/quote]

Yea, I agree. It seems like they have one department that manages all their websites, and are not at all golf related of have golf experience.

What is most disappointing is that they just updated the site...

I got to hit it yesterday inside of a booth, not outside, but holy hell is it harsh on toe hits. I compared it to my 910 and it was havoc on my hand when I hit it on the toe. I was quite surprised with that. Overall it's a firmer feel than the 910 I have and it's substantially more harsh on misses shock wise. The covert was a tiny bit longer in the center of the face.

Really love seeing some tricked out Covert setups. I still haven't got one, hit it at the range once but have been distracted from my beloved brand, Nike, for about a month now :sorry:

Working on a few setups for my self-funded 2013 shoot-out and so far the Covert is not going to be part of it. My golf fund has run out and as of now, the Covert is not in it and after seeing some of the sick setups on here, I may have to try to get one together. Old faithful (VR LTD) has been outperforming some of the latest and greatest setups all year. We'll see what happens!

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Not sure I trust the distances but I've been murdering this thing at the range and the rest of the numbers look spot on from what I've seen on other monitors. Closest I've been able to get with any setup so far to ideal type numbers for me. The second one was me swinging out of my shoes messing around.

[attachment=1569945:image.jpg][attachment=1569947:image.jpg]

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1362451590' post='6548889']
Not sure I trust the distances but I've been murdering this thing at the range and the rest of the numbers look spot on from what I've seen on other monitors. Closest I've been able to get with any setup so far to ideal type numbers for me. The second one was me swinging out of my shoes messing around.

[attachment=1569945:image.jpg][attachment=1569947:image.jpg]
[/quote]

That's moving it out there to say the least! Nice!

What LM/software is that?