2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

UPDATED VIDEO & PICS: Nike Covert Drivers, Woods & Irons

HipCheck

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have held a deep and bitter grudge against all swoosh products since they ruined the soccer cleat market with over technologized buzz-word in multitude footwear.

If you search the records of Golfwrx, you will find me only to reference playing one piece of Nike gear (the ball they sold in the green package... It out played most premium balls for half the price). Never once have I found myself lusting after a Nike ball hitting utensile...

Until now!

I have secretly been waiting for this to happen...

I knew it would...

Since their inseption, Nike Golf has aquired some of the best talent in golf design. They have poured millions into a state of the art R&D center. Nike has even brought several designs to the table that were well regarded as top class, but so far one has yet to match a need. I just knew it would all come together one day.

Now I find myself alone on a cliff. "Has enough time past to allow me to forgive and forget? Is this the day?"

- signed, the biggest Nike hater.

[quote name='Muttleydog' timestamp='1360627684' post='6409689']
I got my performance delivered today and I can't wait to hit it but again I can't believe that a manufacturer puts a ribbed grip on a driver with an adjustable shaft. Is it just me or does anyone else find this stupid. I've already taken it off and put a new one on before I use it for the first time.
[/quote]
Someone must have grabbed the wrong grip. The stock grip is the Nike 360 which is a 60R.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

I hit a demo over the weekend, the Performance head with the stock shaft. I fell in love with the first swing, solid thwack and a muted sound. I also hit the R1 (absolutely did NOT like), the RBZ Stage 2 and the Ping G25, whuch wasn't on the sales floor yet.

I got the best numbers with the RBZ and the Covert was next but the difference was negligible. High ballspeeds with the RBZ was 163, 161 for the Covert and overall distance difference was only 2 yards. Needless to say, I have ordered a Covert with a Matrix HD6, hope Nike uses the white Ozik shaft and not the blue.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

[quote name='phillypete' timestamp='1360627841' post='6409701']
I have held a deep and bitter grudge against all swoosh products since they ruined the soccer cleat market with over technologized buzz-word in multitude footwear.

If you search the records of Golfwrx, you will find me only to reference playing one piece of Nike gear (the ball they sold in the green package... It out played most premium balls for half the price). Never once have I found myself lusting after a Nike ball hitting utensile...

Until now!

I have secretly been waiting for this to happen...

I knew it would...

Since their inseption, Nike Golf has aquired some of the best talent in golf design. They have poured millions into a state of the art R&D center. Nike has even brought several designs to the table that were well regarded as top class, but so far one has yet to match a need. I just knew it would all come together one day.

Now I find myself alone on a cliff. "Has enough time past to allow me to forgive and forget? Is this the day?"

- signed, the biggest Nike hater.
[/quote]

Great that you have kept an open mind...

To all you who are worried about swingweight. I called Nike and they said the covert tour was between d3-d5. I put mine in the scale and it hit d4. I personally think that's a bit heavy anyways, so I cut off 3/4" and it swingweighted to d1 with a gp multi. With it now at 45" and d1, I think it feels much more comfortable to swing. If d1 bothers some of you, a simple change to a lighter grip could easily get it back to d2-d3.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

I spent two hours today testing clubs...both Coverts and both Callaway X-Hot, X-Hot pro and Razr Fit Extreme. One guy was bringing back his Razr Fit because he wasn't hitting as far as he thought it was suppose to go to buy a X-Hot. I'll tell you, I was hitting the Covert Tour very straight and low spin. One low number was 1988 rpm and average was at 2400 rpm at Club speed avg. 106 mph...best of them so far. I am going back tomorrow to try the Cobra Amp Cell Pro and non Pro, Adams new offerings and both TM R1 and RBZ stage 2. I like the Mittsubishi shaft so far and really liked the new Graphite Design but not willing to pay a $200 up-charge. Fun!

Callaway Epic Speed 9.0* Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Epic 15* Hazurdus 65
Callaway Epic 18* Hazurdus 65
Takomo 101t 4-pw Steelfiber fc90cw 
Bridgestone J15 56* Project x PXI 5.0
Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"

^^^^ That sounds like fun! I wanted to do the same. Going into 2013 I decided I was buying a driver no matter what. On my list was the Covert, Xhot, and D13. After hitting the Covert, I loved it so much I just had to buy it. I also agree with you as I was loving that Kuro Kage shaft!

Driver - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly Pro - Fujikura Pro Series 65 - Stiff[/color]
3W - [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#00ff00]Cobra Bio Cell Blue - Matrix Ozik white tie[/color][/font]
5W - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly - Tensei CK Blue 65F - Stiff[/color]
Hybrid - [color=#ff0000]Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Kuro Kage Stiff[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Irons - Cobra S3 Pro 3-PW[/color]
[color=#ff0000]Nike Engage - 52* Square, 60* Dual Sole[/color] [color=#0000cd]Project X PXi 6.5[/color]
Putter - [color=#808080]Nike Method B1-02[/color]
Ball - Titleist ProV1x
[color=#008080]#supportyourlocalmuni[/color]

[color=#008080]WITB: [/color][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1303874-toddashford-nike-bag/page__p__13196536#entry13196536"]http://www.golfwrx.c...6#entry13196536[/url]
[twitter]toddash[/twitter]
instagram.com/toddash18

Hit the Covert last night at my local Dick's Sporting Goods.. Performance head with the stock Kuro stiff shaft.. Man do I really wish I had an extra $320 laying around haha

TSR3 Driver/Fairway/Hybrid

2023 T200 (4i - 48*) 

SM10 52F* & 56S*
Newport Select 1.5

-ProV1X

I was looking over the previously listed PDF, I cannot believe any of you whimps are yet to play the Dynamic Gold X100 shaft in this thing! You must all be whimps! 1.2 torque, pssh... what a noodle! In case you didn't know, it is a free shaft option :)

Serious Note: I was surprised to see the DG as a free option, I thought most companies had long moved past that option. I think anybody who tries the DG would be quite surprised, and happy with the results

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

[quote name='Muttleydog' timestamp='1360792607' post='6423091']
Here's a great head to head review of the 2 Covert's with the stock shafts http://youtu.be/pHtyM9oH3uA
[/quote][quote name='Muttleydog' timestamp='1360792607' post='6423091']
Here's a great head to head review of the 2 Covert's with the stock shafts http://youtu.be/pHtyM9oH3uA
[/quote]

He was so wrong about Rory playing the performance model. I think he liked the performance model better because of the "Rory" factor. He seemed to drop his name a lot during this review. Thanks for posting!

[quote name='Muttleydog' timestamp='1360792607' post='6423091']
[/quote]

I'm sorry, but that's not a very good review, in my opinion. He just gets far too much information jumbled up and delivers it poorly. It was a valiant attempt, so fair play to him.
If his name's 'been' Rick Shiels, what else has it been?

TaylorMade SLDR 430 Driver, 10°, MRC Diamana B-Series 60-X (from TM European Tour Van)
Nike VR Pro LE 3-wood (Tour Issue 1-dot head), 15°, MRC Diamana Kai' li 70-X
TaylorMade Rescue TP 19°, UST Axivcore Tour Blue 80-X
Titleist 670 Forged Blades 3-PW, FM Precision Flighted Rifle 6.5
Vokey Raw 52° FM Precision Flighted Rifle 6.5
Vokey Raw 56° FM Precision Project-X Satin 6.5
Scotty Cameron JAT Prototype (Circle-T) or
Nike Oven "DF" 006 Prototype

What I didn't like about that video review was that he gave the Tour one mark below the Performance version for looks.

hahahaha. I literally chuckled when he did that. The Tour head is a bit better looking, IMO, than the Performance head. It's a smaller head (which I prefer), got the black club face, which looks better to me, and it's got the black and red bottom, which looks better than the silver and red that the Performance model is.

Again, it's just my opinion, but he was totally wrong in the comparisons about looks.

Ping G430Max 10k - Ping G425Max 14* - Ping G430 19* - Ping G710 (4,5) - Ping i210 (6-U) - Ping S159 56* - Odyssey 7s - Chrome Tour

I went and picked up my covert performance yesterday. I loved it so much I went back today and traded in my R11 driver and 3 wood for the Covert Tour 3 wood

This is going to be a fun year! Also the White GP BCT grip looks fantastic on the Kuro Kage Silver shafts!
http://www.golfpride.com/grips/tour-velvet-bct-cord/

Driver - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly Pro - Fujikura Pro Series 65 - Stiff[/color]
3W - [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#00ff00]Cobra Bio Cell Blue - Matrix Ozik white tie[/color][/font]
5W - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly - Tensei CK Blue 65F - Stiff[/color]
Hybrid - [color=#ff0000]Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Kuro Kage Stiff[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Irons - Cobra S3 Pro 3-PW[/color]
[color=#ff0000]Nike Engage - 52* Square, 60* Dual Sole[/color] [color=#0000cd]Project X PXi 6.5[/color]
Putter - [color=#808080]Nike Method B1-02[/color]
Ball - Titleist ProV1x
[color=#008080]#supportyourlocalmuni[/color]

[color=#008080]WITB: [/color][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1303874-toddashford-nike-bag/page__p__13196536#entry13196536"]http://www.golfwrx.c...6#entry13196536[/url]
[twitter]toddash[/twitter]
instagram.com/toddash18

I thought he was going to do a comparison between the RBZ[size=1]ed [size=3][size=4]Stage 2 also...must have run out of time in his 17+min review.[/size][/size][/size]

Cobra LTDx LS Diamana B 70
TEE CB4 Tour 15° Attas T2
SLDR 3H Speeder HB 9.8

Honma TW 737 P 4 iron
Honma TR 20V 5-PW PX LS
Vokey SM7 52° & 58°
Tour Issue Toulon Austin

Ordered both tour Driver and fairway in KK X .Currently using the G20 (a la Wil Peoples) and Anser 4w with ADBB 's, but willing to give the KK a go. The G20 is the straightest I've ever had. The only longer club was an VR LE ADBB. Will test later next week and post updates. Being a Nike fan from '85 doesn't help. If this line lives up to the hype on course, there will be a dent in the garage and petty cash box.

Cleveland TL310 8.5 Grafalloy Old Blue X
Baldo Competzione 18*  Graf Old Blue X

Baldo Competzione 21* UST Elements Chrome X
Cleveland 588 Pro CB KBS Tour X 4-PW
Ping Glide 3.0 50*  KBS T X, Baldo 54/ 58 KBS Tour X
Wilson 8802
TM TP5

[quote name='markjinc' timestamp='1361134288' post='6446653']
I've tried the search function, but has anyone been successful in pulling this tip yet? Any how-tos? I want to try an Aldila RIP Phenom in this head. I hit it toooooooooooo low with these high kickpoint shafts. Need a lower bend profile.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/787045-friendly-psa-nike-covert-reshafting-is-nothing-to-be-scared-of/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/787045-friendly-psa-nike-covert-reshafting-is-nothing-to-be-scared-of/[/url]

[quote name='dangolf' timestamp='1361137335' post='6446955']
I've tried the search function, but has anyone been successful in pulling this tip yet? Any how-tos? I want to try an Aldila RIP Phenom in this head. I hit it toooooooooooo low with these high kickpoint shafts. Need a lower bend profile.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/787045-friendly-psa-nike-covert-reshafting-is-nothing-to-be-scared-of/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/787045-friendly-psa-nike-covert-reshafting-is-nothing-to-be-scared-of/[/url]
[/quote]

Awesome. Thank you.

[quote name='dangolf' timestamp='1361137335' post='6446955']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for listing this!

I had a chance to hit both the Performance model and Tour Model at a local demo.

The black Kuro Kage in the Performance wasn't for me, launched too high and felt a little soft. The silver (in the performance) launched a tad lower and the dispersion was much better. The tour version was definitely less forgiving and lower spinning. My favorite combo was the tour head with the Black Tie. Hopefully I could hit the Black Tie with the performance head later this week.

WITB Link