anyone else dislike playing at private clubs?

I enjoy playing at the private clubs and have never felt out of place. I will say though I haven't
played at a private club in the U.S. in many years that still used caddies. Those that still use caddies
are probably too expensive for me to play unless I am a guest.

I do belong to 2 clubs and both let you walk or take a cart. Rules at either are not particularly
stringent, I am in the South West and things are fairly laid back here.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree for the most part .... my comment about "packing a lunch" is aimed at players I have been paired up with that go over the top with trying not to spend a dollar and complain about prices at ever turn..... I also don't like guys that stop at every water hazard with their 15ft telescoping ball grabber and fish out every ball they can ... cmon' already....

If you are not feeling comfortable as a guest at a private club I would say that this has more to do with your host than it does with the club. I am a member of a private club and I often host people for a game. Prior to the game I make sure to send them all the details they will need to know. If they are paying thier own way I let them know how much the guest fee is and that all charges will go to my account and that they can pay me with cash or check. I let them know if we will be taking carts, caddies, or carrying our own bags and any associated fees. I tell them where to change their shoes if they arrive before me and I also tell them we have a no tipping policy. If tipping were allowed I would tell them who to tip and how much. I let my guests know if we will be eating lunch before the round, after the round or on the fly at the halfway hut.

It's my job to make sure that my guests feel welcome at my club and have a good time. If they come away from the experience feeling the way the OP did, then it is nobody's fault but mine. For the record I would not hesitate to put a sandwich in my bag. In fact I hosted a friend earlier this season who is a member of another local club that is listed in the top 50 of Golf Digest's Top 100 and he showed up with peanut butter and jelly sandwich for each of us. It never even crossed my mid as weird or inappropriate. I ate the he11 out of that sandwich!

Bottom line, its up to your host to provide details that will make his guests feel comfortable. If that information is not offered up by the host I would not hesitate to ask. I am a guest at a lot of private clubs and I always ask my host about local policies and rules so that I don't embarrass myself or anyone else!

[quote name='cottonseed' timestamp='1354643663' post='6017337']
If you are not feeling comfortable as a guest at a private club I would say that this has more to do with your host than it does with the club. I am a member of a private club and I often host people for a game. Prior to the game I make sure to send them all the details they will need to know. If they are paying thier own way I let them know how much the guest fee is and that all charges will go to my account and that they can pay me with cash or check. I let them know if we will be taking carts, caddies, or carrying our own bags and any associated fees. I tell them where to change their shoes if they arrive before me and I also tell them we have a no tipping policy. If tipping were allowed I would tell them who to tip and how much. I let my guests know if we will be eating lunch before the round, after the round or on the fly at the halfway hut.

It's my job to make sure that my guests feel welcome at my club and have a good time. If they come away from the experience feeling the way the OP did, then it is nobody's fault but mine. For the record I would not hesitate to put a sandwich in my bag. In fact I hosted a friend earlier this season who is a member of another local club that is listed in the top 50 of Golf Digest's Top 100 and he showed up with peanut butter and jelly sandwich for each of us. It never even crossed my mid as weird or inappropriate. I ate the he11 out of that sandwich!

Bottom line, its up to your host to provide details that will make his guests feel comfortable. If that information is not offered up by the host I would not hesitate to ask. I am a guest at a lot of private clubs and I always ask my host about local policies and rules so that I don't embarrass myself or anyone else!
[/quote]

Your Good Man!

Man this thread is SUPER bizarre. I've only played a few private courses, though I'm a member of one at the moment, but my experience could not be much more different. I normally drive up to the clubhouse, go change in the locker room since I store my clothes there and like to shower after my round and all that. Go grab some breakfast from the staff who all know my name, go say hi to the guy in the club house, tell him I'm going out and play a super fast, stress free round.

None of the stuff in the OP applies:
-you can use push carts, motorized carts or carry, your choice, no one cares with you choose.
-I'm sure if I brought a cooler they might be annoyed, but I bring a banana and some gatorade almost every round and no one has ever said anything.
-No excessive clothing rules. I take off my hat when I'm in the clubhouse and I usually change in the locker room, but I'd be SHOCKED if anyone said anything about me changing shoes in the parking lot. The guy who said he thought private courses were snotty cuz you cant wear a crew neck sweatshirt and cargo shorts, I mean, lets just agree to disagree and you can hang out at the munis, seems like a better fit.
-Tipping: holy wtf people have a bizarre fear of tipping at private clubs. If I want one of the valets to clean my clubs, I'll tell them and then tip them, and I tip the servers in the restaurant, like I would do at any normal restaurant, but beyond that I have not tipped anyone for anything. Seems strange.

So no, I don't dislike playing 3 hour rounds on Sundays, hitting 3 balls if I feel like it and playing with people who actually have an ounce of self awareness and will hurry the hell up during a round. But I guess people disliking such things is what keeps my rounds at 3 hours and muni rounds at 6...

[quote name='Greenie' timestamp='1354578019' post='6014041']
I have been a guess at private clubs a few times. What I didn't like was how slow play was. Foursomes,fivesomes,and sixsomes out on the course playing money games and acting like they are pros but playing like a bunch of hacks. I always get a chuckle in the slow play threads when someone says you should join a private club to avoid slow play.
The stuff you mention is typical of a private club. Not everyone is suited for their rules or that kind of lifestyle. I know I am not.
[/quote]

I've been behind these groups as well, I was a member at a club for 11 years and when this happend I was comfortable enough to go up and ask to play through. Now I am at new club entering my second year and dont have the comfort level to approach these groups as of yet, but once I am more comfortable with myself and the club I will. Sometimes guys can be tools and then it ends up going back to the pro, but usually I just handle it politely.

I think "private golf club" tends to include different kinds of places depending on your area of the country. My club is "private" in the sense that only members or accompanied guests play there. But hundreds of us use push carts, nobody cares what kind of snacks you have in your bag (although I think bringing a cooler full of beer from home would be a [i]faux pas[/i]) and the only clothing rules other than the obvious of requiring shirts and shoes is that you can't wear a hat in the main dining room on Sunday afternoons during the after-church buffet. And if there's a rule about changing your shoes in the parking lot someone needs to tell the dozen or so guys I see doing it every weekend.

But maybe all that crap is expected at "private" clubs in other places. The area where I live just isn't a place where having snooty private clubs is likely to be a long term success, too many golfer are just Plain Folks.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1354583686' post='6014539']
[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1354583369' post='6014513']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1354580098' post='6014223']
. Its kinda one of those things that if you can't afford $10 for popcorn, candy and a pop then you can't afford the movie either. [/quote]

This is a ridiculous statement. There is a difference between not being able to afford the $10 candy and choosing not to be ripped off.
[/quote]

When's the last time you walked into a diner and pulled 2 eggs from your pocket and asked the cook to fry 'em up for you?

[b]Movie theaters sell entertainment ... that includes movies, popcorn, candy, drinks & whatever[/b]. If you don't want to pay for entertainment, stay home on your couch and watch network TV.
[/quote]

I guess we differ there, I don't consider "popcorn, candy, drinks" as entertainment. I suppose if you consider eating and drinking entertainment, I do not. Your comparison to bringing two eggs into a diner and asking them to cook them for you is not the same thing at all. A diners function is to provide food, that is what you go there for. If we were to follow your logic I could say that you shouldn't read the paper, look at your phone, read a book, etc in a sports bar because they have a program on TV, and if you don't want to watch whats on their TV you should stay home and eat.

It's not for everyone, but I like the so called "stuffy" nature of private clubs. It cuts down on a lot of the poor behaviour that you see at places that don't enforce the rules.

Last year I was at one of the daily fees I frequent and a guy in front of me in the line at the snack shack got up there and ordered nine beers, all for himself. I mean, if you like to have a beer on the course then fine, but it's not a bar, you don't need nine beers for the back nine and I don't want to put up with the kind of crap that people with 15 drinks in them can cause. This is just one example but "stuffy" rules can make sure that everyone gets to enjoy their day.

[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1354652866' post='6018057']
. Its kinda one of those things that if you can't afford $10 for popcorn, candy and a pop then you can't afford the movie either. [/quote]

This is a ridiculous statement. There is a difference between not being able to afford the $10 candy and choosing not to be ripped off.
[/quote]

When's the last time you walked into a diner and pulled 2 eggs from your pocket and asked the cook to fry 'em up for you?

[b]Movie theaters sell entertainment ... that includes movies, popcorn, candy, drinks & whatever[/b]. If you don't want to pay for entertainment, stay home on your couch and watch network TV.
[/quote]

If we were to follow your logic I could say that you shouldn't read the paper, look at your phone, read a book, etc in a sports bar because they have a program on TV, and if you don't want to watch whats on their TV you should stay home and eat.
[/quote]

If you go to a sports bar to read the paper or read a book, you may a have bigger issues than an inability to apply logic.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1354653981' post='6018139']
It's not for everyone, but I like the so called "stuffy" nature of private clubs. It cuts down on a lot of the poor behaviour that you see at places that don't enforce the rules.

Last year I was at one of the daily fees I frequent and a guy in front of me in the line at the snack shack got up there and ordered nine beers, all for himself. I mean, if you like to have a beer on the course then fine, but it's not a bar, you don't need nine beers for the back nine and I don't want to put up with the kind of crap that people with 15 drinks in them can cause. This is just one example but "stuffy" rules can make sure that everyone gets to enjoy their day.
[/quote]
Sorry, bro. I hope it didn't mess up your game when I took my pants off and went streaking down 15. Once I get that 12th Molson in me, things tend to get a little crazy...

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1354654569' post='6018175']

[/quote]

[/quote]

If we were to follow your logic I could say that you shouldn't read the paper, look at your phone, read a book, etc in a sports bar because they have a program on TV, and if you don't want to watch whats on their TV you should stay home and eat.
[/quote]

If you go to a sports bar to read the paper or read a book, you may a have bigger issues than an inability to apply logic.
[/quote]

So you have no rebuttal then? How about checking scores on a phone or even streaming a different sporting event?

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1354654896' post='6018201']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1354653981' post='6018139']

[/quote]
Sorry, bro. I hope it didn't mess up your game when I took my pants off and went streaking down 15. Once I get that 12th Molson in me, things tend to get a little crazy...
[/quote]

LOL!

There are a great many golfers that should not consider private clubs. Biggest reason, if you're hell-bent of being independent, doing your own thing, and don't like adhering to rules that you do not make, don't bother to apply. Private clubs have rules for many reasons, but mostly because of uniformity and members have no problems adhering to club rules, plus they typically agree on rules. Rules are not for most members either, mainly the wealthy and or selfish idiots and sociopaths that think rules are not for them.

I might be the founder and boss of a company, use to making the rules and doing what I want, but my catholic upbringing helped to teach me where my independence, power and ability to have what I want stops, in favor of being part of a social group, abiding by basic rules, that by the way, don't affect most people. Sure there are minor rules that didn't set well with me and other members, but we accepted that as minor, compared to greater private club rewards. Even though many members lived powerful lives, when we're at the club, that power is relinquished at the gate, in favor of being part of what you could call, a big club family.

People should look at private clubs much like homeowners associations. Rules are defined for all, you just have to read them before applying or buying a home and agree to them for the length of membership or ownership. I owned a property in a HOA that stipulated owners could not do certain things to their property. Not because of the cost, but because someone might do the same, but later not have the money to fix or replace the item when it turns unsightly. I had the ability to replace, yet could only do what the lowest common denominator might do, which was fine because I signed the HOA papers, and club membership agreement.

At my last club private push carts were not allowed, but the club provided new fancy pushcarts for free; why, uniformity. Typically, private clubs want to maintain a certain image for members, and "to the outside world". There are a list of reasons private clubs prefer new members to come from another private club.

Food & Beverage minimums designed to promote additional revenue for the club. Putting shoes on the parking lot, hauling coolers, bottles and lunch bags not only makes the club look similar to a muni, it leads to trash blowing around the course and eventually a rather sloppy looking parking lot. I've seen it many times at local public courses.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1354579293' post='6014143']
I've been playing this game for 40 years and have played at a few clubs. I enjoy it if for no other reason it makes me laugh. All these pompus, over impressed with their own importance people all gathered together in one place. Always makes me think of the movie caddy shack. You can always pick out the stars, Oh there's judge Smeals, or doctor beeper. I roll in my 98 jeep wrangler and park next to the BMW. Would I belong to place like that? no. But it is fun to visit now and then just for a few laughs.

I do belong to a local course but its nothing fancy. All these members care about is playing golf.
[/quote]

I am a member at a private course. I drive a used, 2006 Mazda 3. I usually park it between two not that impressive cars. I have never heard a single person brag, be pompous or anything like that. I mean, we're all driving over the a course we joined to have fun and couldnt care less about what you choose. The fact that you're trying SOOO hard to create a strawman to make fun of and be upset at people who are just trying to have fun makes me feel like theres probably something you're trying to compensate for here, you're just being completely illogical here.

[quote name='4thand11' timestamp='1354573895' post='6013749']
-You can't use a push/pull cart. Either ride a motorized cart or else have a caddy. Nothing against the caddies who all seem like very nice kids, but shouldn't a paying club member have the option to use a Clicgear cart if that's how he prefers to play golf? A caddy requires yet another tip and also adds another level of intimidation for hackers, who might just as soon not have another person around to watch them play lousy.

-rules about eating/drinking. When I play at my muni I pack a small cooler with gatorade, water, snacks, sometimes even a sandwich, etc. At the private club this seems to be a big faux pas. The only option is to buy things from the cart girl. Once again I have nothing against the cart girls, I just don't always want what they have to sell (and it also has to be charged to the account of the member who invited me, which makes me hesitate since as his guest I don't want to abuse his generosity).

-Clothing rules such as no putting on your shoes in the parking lot. OK I get it, they have a nice locker room, but what is the harm if a guest just puts on his golf shoes at his car? My first time I arrived at the club before the member who invited me, and I was unaware of this rule. A club employee (caddy master I guess) came up and told me rather snidely that I should take my golf shoes and wait for the member in the locker room.
[/quote]

I would never, ever join a club where the only options were cart or caddy. I can understand why a course would have that rule, but it's not for me. Especially if an equity club, where I'm buying a portion of the club, I want to be able to play the way I want to play, whether that's with the occasional caddy, carrying my own bag, using a push cart, or riding.

A true golf club IMO does not have a cart girl, but I also think it's rude to show up at a club with your own lunch packed. I'm a Type I diabetic so I need to have snacks in my bag while I'm playing, but I'd never show up with a packed lunch and my own drinks. C'mon man, buy that stuff at the course!

There is a flip side -- high food/bev minimums rub me the wrong way. If it's an amount that I'd easily hit just buy buying something small to eat and a Gatorade at the turn most rounds, that's fine. But -- don't force me to eat meals at the club if the food sucks, and 95% of even the best private clubs have dreadful food. I go to a golf club to play golf and I go to a nice restaurant to have dinner out. Golf clubs typically do as well in the restaurant business as restaurants do in the golf business. :D

Think carefully about the changing shoes in the parking lot rule. That's a holdover from many older courses in the UK, where it's simply considered rude to do it. I don't really understand the nuts and bolts of why, other than it's only a matter of time before some knucklehead decides that it's okay to change his shirt and slacks either in :rolleyes: or even next to :nono: his car. If I were king for a day and owned my own club, I'd want people to change in the locker room too, because I'd aim to make that a place where the club gave guests a proper welcome.

It sounds like your host did not do his job, which is ensuring that guests understand everything beforehand. It is rude when the host fails to do this, because it's bound to make his guest uncomfortable, and isn't the whole idea of being a host making sure that the guest and the host both have a great time?

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I think with the exception of a few downtown Toronto tracks, Canadian private clubs are a whole LOT more laid back than most American private clubs

Our place is pretty solid with approx 100 core male players that play Wed aft and Sat morn

Lots of joking and drinking and playing golf. You can make calls etc

The course does not put up with nonsense (ie peeing off the 2nd story balcony) but you can certainly put your shoes on in the parking lot, take a push cart and most importantly play a FAST nine or 18 holes amongst other golf addicts

It is all about finding a fit for you

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1354655197' post='6018225']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you have no rebuttal then? How about checking scores on a phone or even streaming a different sporting event?
[/quote]

I don't see the correlation between reading your phone or a newspaper at a sports bar versus sneaking candy into a movie.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1354660224' post='6018659']
I don't see the correlation between reading your phone or a newspaper at a sports bar versus sneaking candy into a movie.
[/quote]

A movie theater's main purpose is to provide entertainment. They also happen to sell candy and the like for you pleasure. If I don't like the product they are offering, candy in this case (or the price they offer it at), I bring something in to avoid taking advantage of that service.

A sports bar's main purpose is to sell food and drinks but they also provide TVs with different programing for your viewing pleasure. If I don't happen to like the stuff they are showing on TV I can stream something that I'd rather watch on my phone.

No one would say you should just stay home if you choose to go to the sports bar and eat wings and drink beer if you happen to also be watching something on your phone. Obviously if you are not interested in the food at the establishment that would be a good reason not to go.

In a similar manner when you said, if you can't afford the candy at the movies just stay home. Well thats fine if you don't want to see a movie in the theater but if you do why should you stay home if you don't choose to partake in purchasing food from the theater? What if all they have is 25 year old Good n Plenty, should I be forced to partake in that because that is what they offer?

This doesn't make much difference to me as i hardly go to the theater to watch a movie because it's expensive and I don't feel all that interested in a lot of the movies that come out these days.

[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1354662976' post='6018841']
[/quote]

A movie theater's main purpose is to provide entertainment. They also happen to sell candy and the like for you pleasure. If I don't like the product they are offering, candy in this case (or the price they offer it at), I bring something in to avoid taking advantage of that service.

[/quote]

I mean, I do the same thing, but what you're doing is blatantly against the rules, as is the case when you bring a cooler filled with crap to a golf course. Both the course and the theatre would lose money if they only sold tickets/admission. The rest of their revenue comes from things like food and drink. Your logic of "well if I don;t like their stuff, I'll just bring my own" is kind of a ridiculous example since in both cases you're entering a private facility, entirely by your choice, and breaking their rules. Pretending like just not paying for their goods and bringing your own is a better option is a bit ridiculous.

[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1354655197' post='6018225']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ahhh ... so someone else sees where the logic fails !

timestamp='1354662976' post='6018841']
[/quote]

A sports bar's main purpose is to sell food and drinks but they also provide TVs with different programing for your viewing pleasure. If I don't happen to like the stuff they are showing on TV I can stream something that I'd rather watch on my phone.
[/quote]

While this is one of the worst analogies I've ever read on any subject, I think it would actually be a fairly decent analogy if you flipped the sports bar around. They wouldnt care if you streamed an event on your phone, but youd better believe they wouldnt allow you to bring food into the facility. Same with movie theatres, golf courses or any facility where they made a decent chunk of revenue from concessions. This is like complaining that pro sporting events are only for the rich because you cant bring your own lunch and beers are expensive...

[quote name='ryancjordan' timestamp='1354663649' post='6018887']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I mean, I do the same thing, but what you're doing is blatantly against the rules, as is the case when you bring a cooler filled with crap to a golf course. Both the course and the theatre would lose money if they only sold tickets/admission. The rest of their revenue comes from things like food and drink. Your logic of "well if I don;t like their stuff, I'll just bring my own" is kind of a ridiculous example since in both cases you're entering a private facility, entirely by your choice, and breaking their rules. Pretending like just not paying for their goods and bringing your own is a better option is a bit ridiculous.
[/quote]

I appreciate that you at least brought up the idea of a private facility.
[quote name='ryancjordan' timestamp='1354663984' post='6018927']
timestamp='1354662976' post='6018841']
[/quote]

[/quote]

While this is one of the worst analogies I've ever read on any subject, I think it would actually be a fairly decent analogy if you flipped the sports bar around. They wouldnt care if you streamed an event on your phone, but youd better believe they wouldnt allow you to bring food into the facility. Same with movie theatres, golf courses or any facility where they made a decent chunk of revenue from concessions. This is like complaining that pro sporting events are only for the rich because you cant bring your own lunch and beers are expensive...
[/quote]
You can bring your own food into many sporting events, just not alcohol or anything that is hard and could be used a weapon (hard can or bottle)

I still don't think that the bringing your own food into the resturant makes any sense either, that is their primary business. A movie theaters primary business is showing movies.

Either way I relent as this is sort of derailing the topic at hand, private golf clubs.

I cannot comment on any other private club other than the one to which I belong.
This spring I got invited on a golf trip to Florida with a group of member from my club. I knew one person. And that was only on a professional level. I decide to accept the invite. Only live once. Anyhow I had no clue what to expect. I'm a working man. A man of wealth by no means. Forgoing some other pleasures allows me to play golf at this club. Anyhow I took enough money to eat out, and drink, at some pretty nice joints. Holy cow these guys were so down to earth I was shocked. Stayed in condo's. Ordered pizza. Went to the store and bought groceries.
And as I said I did not know anyone. There were millionaires and there were people in worse financial shape than me.
The point... don't believe all that you see at a country club. Smoke and mirrors.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

You seem to be of the mindset that a business can only make money off the main thing they do. Sports bars do not give a s*** if you actually watch sports at the sports bar. They want you to order food and drink. If people simply went to sit and watch sports and brought their own food, they would close immediately. Golf courses don't want you to bring a cooler because that is lost revenue for them, movie theatres dont want you to bring food because that is lost revenue for them. I don't see why people have a problem with private facilities not allowing you to bring in things that directly make them lose revenue, hell, as much as every muni is struggling, I'm MORE surprised they allow coolers.

replying to pappaf2 obv...

[quote name='ryancjordan' timestamp='1354664980' post='6019003']
You seem to be of the mindset that a business can only make money off the main thing they do. Sports bars do not give a s*** if you actually watch sports at the sports bar. They want you to order food and drink. If people simply went to sit and watch sports and brought their own food, they would close immediately. Golf courses don't want you to bring a cooler because that is lost revenue for them, movie theatres dont want you to bring food because that is lost revenue for them. I don't see why people have a problem with private facilities not allowing you to bring in things that directly make them lose revenue, hell, as much as every muni is struggling, I'm MORE surprised they allow coolers.

replying to pappaf2 obv...
[/quote]

OK last post from me to avoid cluttering this up any more than I already have. I suppose the sports bar analogy wasn't the best one. If I go to the movies and not eat anything (purchased from them or stuff I bring myself) they are making more money off me than they would if I didn't show up. If I bring a candy bar obviously it's against the rules but they get revenue from me showing up that they wouldn't get if I stayed home. Similar to a golf course. If I pay to play and I don't consume anything (purchased or brought from home) they get more money from me than if I stayed home. I'm not suggesting that people pack up the kitchen sink and bring it to the movies or the course but IMO it is foolish to say if you are bringing a granola bar from home instead of buying on the grounds then keep your money and stay home. In a time of struggling businesses it is foolish to turn away customers for such a small reason.

BTW I typically purchase food from the course when I play.