anyone else dislike playing at private clubs?

I don't think anyone suggested that you stay home over eating a granola bar at a course. People are simply pointing out that if one of the major source's of revenue is concessions, bringing a cooler full of food when it is against the stated rules is a dick move and complaining about the course enforcing their own rules is craziness.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='saltrunner' timestamp='1354644767' post='6017423']
[quote name='cottonseed' timestamp='1354643663' post='6017337']
If you are not feeling comfortable as a guest at a private club I would say that this has more to do with your host than it does with the club. I am a member of a private club and I often host people for a game. Prior to the game I make sure to send them all the details they will need to know. If they are paying thier own way I let them know how much the guest fee is and that all charges will go to my account and that they can pay me with cash or check. I let them know if we will be taking carts, caddies, or carrying our own bags and any associated fees. I tell them where to change their shoes if they arrive before me and I also tell them we have a no tipping policy. If tipping were allowed I would tell them who to tip and how much. I let my guests know if we will be eating lunch before the round, after the round or on the fly at the halfway hut.

It's my job to make sure that my guests feel welcome at my club and have a good time. If they come away from the experience feeling the way the OP did, then it is nobody's fault but mine. For the record I would not hesitate to put a sandwich in my bag. In fact I hosted a friend earlier this season who is a member of another local club that is listed in the top 50 of Golf Digest's Top 100 and he showed up with peanut butter and jelly sandwich for each of us. It never even crossed my mid as weird or inappropriate. I ate the he11 out of that sandwich!

Bottom line, its up to your host to provide details that will make his guests feel comfortable. If that information is not offered up by the host I would not hesitate to ask. I am a guest at a lot of private clubs and I always ask my host about local policies and rules so that I don't embarrass myself or anyone else!
[/quote]

Your Good Man!

You're right. He would be a great host.

There's often lots of rules at country clubs (many of the silly, IMHO) that a newbie would have no chance to know. A good host would make it as comfortable as possible to his guests.
[/quote]

[quote name='ryancjordan' timestamp='1354666777' post='6019175']
I don't think anyone suggested that you stay home over eating a granola bar at a course. People are simply pointing out that if one of the major source's of revenue is concessions, bringing a cooler full of food when it is against the stated rules is a dick move and complaining about the course enforcing their own rules is craziness.
[/quote]

There's a line somewhere as to what's acceptable to bring on your own. For me, granola bar, fruit, a simple sandwich (pb&j, for example), a bottle of water is okay. Beer, a "spread", not so much. Even a small flask is okay (as long as it's in your cargo shorts - with apologies to 4GEA).

[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1354666089' post='6019107']
[quote name='ryancjordan' timestamp='1354664980' post='6019003']
You seem to be of the mindset that a business can only make money off the main thing they do. Sports bars do not give a s*** if you actually watch sports at the sports bar. They want you to order food and drink. If people simply went to sit and watch sports and brought their own food, they would close immediately. Golf courses don't want you to bring a cooler because that is lost revenue for them, movie theatres dont want you to bring food because that is lost revenue for them. I don't see why people have a problem with private facilities not allowing you to bring in things that directly make them lose revenue, hell, as much as every muni is struggling, I'm MORE surprised they allow coolers.

replying to pappaf2 obv...
[/quote]

OK last post from me to avoid cluttering this up any more than I already have. I suppose the sports bar analogy wasn't the best one. If I go to the movies and not eat anything (purchased from them or stuff I bring myself) they are making more money off me than they would if I didn't show up. If I bring a candy bar obviously it's against the rules but they get revenue from me showing up that they wouldn't get if I stayed home. Similar to a golf course. If I pay to play and I don't consume anything (purchased or brought from home) they get more money from me than if I stayed home. I'm not suggesting that people pack up the kitchen sink and bring it to the movies or the course but IMO it is foolish to say if you are bringing a granola bar from home instead of buying on the grounds then keep your money and stay home. In a time of struggling businesses it is foolish to turn away customers for such a small reason.

BTW I typically purchase food from the course when I play.
[/quote]

There have been many times over the years where I would sneak candy into the theater but now I wouldn't do that. I work in the golf business and realize what an important thing it is for its golfers to use the on course food and beverage. When the restaurant/snack bar is doing better it not only helps the bottom line but it employs more people and keeps more money locally. I'm sure you know the local super retailer is paying much less for candy than the movies are I'm sure... If the movie theater has a rule (which I'm sure all of them do) not to bring snacks then I don't do it only because I work in a similar style business and understand how/why that matters. You're right though... back on topic.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I bring a peanut butter, banana and honey sandwich in my golf bag. Also a protein bar. But then again I also buy a Gatorade and a Butterfinger bar in the clubhouse at the turn. Often as not I'll also eat lunch afterward if they're still serving in the clubhouse grill.

My theory with food is to eat early and often. Some guys I used to play with referred to my golf bag as "The Kitchen" because it was always stocked with enough food to last through all day golf with dinner on the grounds.

But I only drink beer when I'm in the UK on golf holidays. At my club the two choices on tap are "Bud" and "Bud Light". Yikes! If they'd serve real beer I'd buy that, too.

[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1354665481' post='6019049']
It is against state law in Ohio to bring your own beer to the course.
[/quote]

It's illegal in almost every state in the USA.

The other aspect people are forgetting about, is the liability issue. Another reason businesses don't want people bring their own "product", whether food, drink or otherwise, is it expands a business owner's liability. Someone brings an unlimited supply of beer, gets drunk & kills someone with a golf cart? A customer gets sick and claims it was the company's food that did it?

A company has both the right and the obligation, to control behavior on its premises. Anyone who ever owned a bar or restaurant, is well aware of the liability associated with the troublemakers who sneak their own alcohol into a bar or sports event.

Wow..this thread is full of preconceived notions and stereotypes that I suppose must either be born of very limited experiences, sheer ignorance, underlying insecurities, jealousy, or a combination of all... or perhaps some of the above. I have been fortunate enough to play golf at a number of very nice private clubs over the years, from the most modest to the most exclusive, and I can report that my experiences have been overwhelmingly positive. I will agree that early on, my first several trips to one of these private clubs had me full of anxiety and apprehension, but those feelings were usually quickly put at ease by my host and the club's staff.

Coming from a very modest background, I couldn't even afford to play golf as a kid. I simply had no access. Even public golf was out of reach financially for my family. I didn't start playing until I was about 24 (nearly 45 now), and public courses were the only option. I got the bug bad, fell in love with the game, and mostly enjoyed my public course experiences and the people I met there. Problem was, in the early nineties, tee times were tough to get, play was slow, course conditions sucked, and if I didn't show up with my own group, there was no telling with whom I might end up playing. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind playing with high handicappers, senior citizens, or even juniors, but I find it much more fun to play with a group of guys of similar ability with whom I can have a good competitive match.

Anyway, just before I turned 30, my wife and I were barely doing well enough to take a flyer and join a newly opening private country club in our area. We got in pre-construction for a $3000 initiation and grew into the dues as our salaries increased. Since then we have grown with the club, raised our 2 daughters there, and have developed some of our closest friendships with the other members there. It's like a big family.

I know what days and times I can find a game and with whom. There are plenty of people there with money, but most are self-made and unpretentious, and there are plenty now just hanging-on since the recession. Most (at least those I play with) have one commonality... a love and passion for the game of golf! When we're done with our rounds we share a few drinks and celebrate or commiserate together. Sometimes a challenge is laid down and we go out for an "emergency nine!" You can walk anytime you like, even on weekends! Because I'm a decent player (hovered between 1-2 this season) I have played on our club's team and have traveled to play at some of the more prestigious clubs in the NJ, NY, and Philly areas. I've been fortunate enough to go to some real old-school stuffy places, steeped in tradition, as well as some nouveau-type big money clubs. I don't think I've ever not had a good time. As a matter of fact, the only place that really got on my nerves was once at Merion, where I played with a member who could not stop bragging and trying to convince me that "his" course was better than Pine Valley, Shinnecock, and just about everywhere else...blah, blah, blah...LOL!

As for bringing food and beverages to a private club...c'mon, the club counts on the revenue generated from F&B to subsidize the rest of the operation and to provide members a place they can be proud of to entertain their guests. If everyone smuggled food and drink in, most places wouldn't survive, or simply would not be able to have the amenities for those who would care to have them available. Common sense isn't it?

I'm not saying that private club's are everyone's cup of tea, but I have read quite a few statements that are truly false or unreasonable objections based on my experience.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

If the price of concessions and the ability to bring ur own cooler is part of your decision to join a CC or not, my guess is that you shouldn't consider joining a CC.

As for the op, you haven't found the right club yet. The CC your describing is less than 10% of all privates CCs

Titleist 915D3 / GD Tour AD DI7s
TM RBZ 15* Diamana BB
Titleist 910H 19* 21* Diamana Kai'li
Titleist 714 AP2 4 - PW
Cameron Studio Stainless NP2
Vokey SM 52* 58*

......general rule when invited to private country clubs:

FOLLOW THEIR RULES....and do not embarrass your host.....

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1354664526' post='6018963']

A movie theaters primary business is showing movies.

[/quote]

Wrong. The play the movie so they can sell you $5 sodas and $10 tubs of popcorn.

You must think strip clubs are in the business of exploiting beautiful women....its about selling ( alot of) expensive drinks.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

[i]So I am most definitely not in the income bracket where I can afford a private club membership... however I've been invited as a guest several times and never really liked the experience. Perhaps it is just intimidation on my part, fear that I'll break some rule of etiquette of which I am not aware. But I don't really understand all the unwritten rules and I think they take away from the fun of the game.

A couple things I've noticed (at least at the private clubs I've played at, maybe these are not typical):[/i]

[i][b][size=5]-You can't use a push/pull cart.[/size][/b] Either ride a motorized cart or else have a caddy. Nothing against the caddies who all seem like very nice kids, but shouldn't a paying club member have the option to use a Clicgear cart if that's how he prefers to play golf? A caddy requires yet another tip and also adds another level of intimidation for hackers, who might just as soon not have another person around to watch them play lousy.[/i]

[size=4][b]The "No push cart" rule is there for the good of the members. It provides the club with additional revenue, and keeps the number of players on foot to a minimum, creating a faster pace of play and making the course more enjoyable for the members. Nothing worse than playing at public courses and getting stuck behind endless groups using push carts causing 6+ hour round. Not to mention a bunch of push carts all over the place makes it looks dumpy and cluttered like a muni.[/b][/size]

[i][b][size=5]-rules about eating/drinking.[/size][/b] When I play at my muni I pack a small cooler with gatorade, water, snacks, sometimes even a sandwich, etc. At the private club this seems to be a big faux pas. The only option is to buy things from the cart girl. Once again I have nothing against the cart girls, I just don't always want what they have to sell (and it also has to be charged to the account of the member who invited me, which makes me hesitate since as his guest I don't want to abuse his generosity).[/i]

[size=4][b]I have NEVER seen any course, public nor private that allowed you to bring your own food and drinks. Where are you playing that allows that? Billy Bob's 9 Hole Pitch & Putt Goat Ranch? Do you bring your own food and drinks to professional sporting events and restaurants too? Bringing your own food and drink cheats the course out of revenue. That's revenue they use to pay bills and keep the course in good condition. If you cheat the course, you're only cheating yourself. Support your course. If you're bringing your own food and drink, you have no room to complain about the condition of the course, at all. Nothing wrong with throwing a couple energy bars or whatever in your bag. But packing sandwiches and drinks is absurd. Especially if you're riding in a cart. [/b][/size]

[i][b][size=5]-Clothing rules such as no putting on your shoes in the parking lot.[/size][/b] OK I get it, they have a nice locker room, but what is the harm if a guest just puts on his golf shoes at his car? My first time I arrived at the club before the member who invited me, and I was unaware of this rule. A club employee (caddy master I guess) came up and told me rather snidely that I should take my golf shoes and wait for the member in the locker room.[/i]

[size=4][b]Holy smokes. This is common sense. Do you change your pants while sitting on the trunk of your car in the parking lot too?? Change your shoes inside your car where nobody has to see that your mom did not give you clean socks that morning, or has to smell the fact that you have bad case of foot fungus and have not changed socks in a week. Change your shoes INSIDE your car, or in the locker room. It's not a big deal. Let me guess? Being asked to tuck your shirt in is too much to ask too?[/b][/size]

[i]-[b][size=5]Way too much tipping[/size][/b] and etiquette involved in who to tip, how much, who not to tip, etc... tip the caddy master, tip the caddy, tip the kid who takes the clubs out of your trunk, tip the kid who puts the clubs back in your trunk... again I don't mind tipping them for their service, but it brings in yet another intimidation factor for non-members who are not sure who/what they should be tipping. I think a lot of guests probably overtip simply because they are afraid they will look cheap to the members or staff of the club.[/i]

[b]A tip is a tip. It's not a requirement. Normally the only person you HAVE to tip is the caddy or forecaddy if YOU hire one. Is it too much to tip a kid that cleans your clubs and loads them in your car a whole $3? Your cheap a** just saved $20 on the cart fee by bringing your crappy push cart, and screwed the club and members out of more revenue by bringing your own food and drinks. Now you're trying to screw the kid that's done everything for you except wipe your butt out of a whole $3.00? LOL[/b]

[i]I realize there are many, many great things about a private club and since I am not a member of one perhaps I am just not used to some of the rules. But I would think some of the rules even get annoying to the actual members. I think even if I hit the lottery one day,[b] I'll keep playing on my local muni where I can use my push cart and not tuck my shirt in if I don't want to.[/b][/i]

[b]Yeah, enjoy your 8 hour round at your local muni that's full of unfilled divots, rock hard bunkers, poor maintenance and idiots who are all dressed like slobs who are only out there to see how much booze they can suck down during the round. Some people like to actually enjoy their round of golf. With your tight wallet and poor etiquette, I'm surprised anyone would invite you to a private club.[/b]

I love the opportunity when presented, but I see how some don't.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

Apparently Michael Jordan shares your opinion of private clubs. Difference is, he could just buy any of them and fire everyone who kicked him out.

[url="http://mycolumbuspower.com/2358014/michael-jordan-kicked-out-of-golf-club-for-wearing-the-wrong-shorts/"]http://mycolumbuspow...e-wrong-shorts/[/url]

Thing is, I think he looks just fine to me. I do agree that some of these clubs are a bit obsessive over the dress codes. I've just never seen it while there.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

Jordan shouldn't be permanently banned, but I have known of cases in northern IL where there are a few well known celebs that are not allowed because they think they are high and mighty. Rules are rules if you don't like them GTFO. If I have a choice to play a private club then I would choose that everyday of the year.

[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1354666089' post='6019107']
[quote name='ryancjordan' timestamp='1354664980' post='6019003']
You seem to be of the mindset that a business can only make money off the main thing they do. Sports bars do not give a s*** if you actually watch sports at the sports bar. They want you to order food and drink. If people simply went to sit and watch sports and brought their own food, they would close immediately. Golf courses don't want you to bring a cooler because that is lost revenue for them, movie theatres dont want you to bring food because that is lost revenue for them. I don't see why people have a problem with private facilities not allowing you to bring in things that directly make them lose revenue, hell, as much as every muni is struggling, I'm MORE surprised they allow coolers.

replying to pappaf2 obv...
[/quote]

OK last post from me to avoid cluttering this up any more than I already have. I suppose the sports bar analogy wasn't the best one. If I go to the movies and not eat anything (purchased from them or stuff I bring myself) they are making more money off me than they would if I didn't show up. If I bring a candy bar obviously it's against the rules but they get revenue from me showing up that they wouldn't get if I stayed home. Similar to a golf course. If I pay to play and I don't consume anything (purchased or brought from home) they get more money from me than if I stayed home. I'm not suggesting that people pack up the kitchen sink and bring it to the movies or the course but IMO it is foolish to say if you are bringing a granola bar from home instead of buying on the grounds then keep your money and stay home. In a time of struggling businesses it is foolish to turn away customers for such a small reason.

BTW I typically purchase food from the course when I play.
[/quote]

Here's how the movie theatre thing works:

they split the ticket revenue roughly down the middle with the studio, and it isn't anywhere near enough to cover their costs. I understand your argument that their costs are fixed for that movie regardless if they sell 100 tickets or 20 tickets so if you decide to show up and not spend any money on concessions technically your presence is "profitable" because their costs of having you there are already sunk and they get your ticket revenue.

BUT

These days movie theatres are able to eke out a profit (and not a significant one) because they make enough off of advertising to you before the movie and by selling concessions that seem reall inflated. The fact is that while the concession prices are inflated compared to the cost of the product to them (90 cents of every dollar of popcorn sold is profit over the cost of the popcorn alone), they need to keep them that high to remain profitable.

So if people don't buy concessions at movie theatres they will shut down in the long run. Therefore, it's not trivial when they kick people out for bringing their own food in, it directly harms their viability and if they don't address it they will go out of business.

Anyhoo back to country clubs.

[quote name='rockinar' timestamp='1354688358' post='6020811']

[size=4]The "No push cart" rule is there for the good of the members. It provides the club with additional revenue, and keeps the number of players on foot to a minimum, creating a faster pace of play and making the course more enjoyable for the members. Nothing worse than playing at public courses and getting stuck behind endless groups using push carts causing 6+ hour round. Not to mention a bunch of push carts all over the place makes it looks dumpy and cluttered like a muni.[/size]

[/quote]

Sorry for the thread hijack, I can't let this ignorant statement go without comment.

Walking does not slow the course down. I'm pretty sure I've told you that before.

[b]The "No push cart" rule is there for the good of the members. It provides the club with additional revenue, and keeps the number of players on foot to a minimum, creating a faster pace of play and making the course more enjoyable for the members. Nothing worse than playing at public courses and getting stuck behind endless groups using push carts causing 6+ hour round. Not to mention a bunch of push carts all over the place makes it looks dumpy and cluttered like a muni.[/b]
[/quote]

Absolutely, positively, 100% dead wrong.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I've had the opportunity to play at a number of various Private clubs and top end semi-private and resort courses over the years. For the most part (except for his 6 hour round comment about walking), I agree with Rockinar.

Even some of the higher end semi-private and resort courses don't allow your own push/pull carts or bringing your own food/beverages. I understand the reason for the changing in the parking lot rule. I've made that mistake more than once at some private clubs, not knowing the rules and why. Fortunately it was explained to me the reason so I now generally don't (at least now I ask ahead of time).

I would say that 90% of the courses I've played in the last 5 years don't allow you to bring your own food and beverages. And probably at least 20% no self owned push/pull carts. Remember, it's revenue for them, especially the carts. Why do you think a lot of resort courses require carts and don't allow walking? They want/need the cart revenue.

Are some private clubs stuffy, of course. But some very high end resort/semi-private are just as stuffy. Accept it and play where you want and have fun. That's the ultimate objective. Don't worry about it. Remember, likes tend to associate with likes. Just because that club is stuffy doesn't mean it can't be fun. Played one extremely stuffy high-end private in England where I had a blast. Others, well. But it's a choice that you should make going into the round.

I play at these type because the conditions are generally better, and the pace of play is usually better. And to be honest, they handle disabled better than many muni's (I have limited walking ability now due to a disability). So I go to them. But that's my choice. Each to his own.

And I generally have at least one bottle of water and a couple of small snacks hidden away in my bag regardless of what i buy at the club. I've often played super early in the morning where the restaurant and cart girls weren't available and I needed something to drink for my pills. No issues whatsoever from any club that I've ever been at about that. i'm not bringing my own cooler or lunch. Just something to tide me over.

I don't make enough money to worry about this. When I am invited to a private club I just stay quiet and follow the lead of my host.
Ultimately I am at the course to play golf. I play by the rules so I know I won't have problems. Those who stick to those principles really won't have problems. I'm tired of the Prima donna mentality most people have these days. You ARE NOT special, so quit wrecking the world for us humble folk.

Carl can make you feel how important you really are.
http://youtu.be/p86BPM1GV8M

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='myronm' timestamp='1354732807' post='6023043']

Even some of the higher end semi-private and resort courses don't allow your own push/pull carts or bringing your own food/beverages. I understand the reason for the changing in the parking lot rule. I've made that mistake more than once at some private clubs, not knowing the rules and why. Fortunately it was explained to me the reason so I now generally don't (at least now I ask ahead of time).

So what is the reason why it's so horrible to change your shoes in the parking lot? Just askin'.

[/quote]

[quote name='slocagolfer' timestamp='1354740106' post='6023593']

[b]So what is the reason why it's so horrible to change your shoes in the parking lot? Just askin'.[/b]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Not necessarily horrible, just generally considered "poor form" at most higher-end private clubs. It might also serve to potentially embarass or put your host in a bad spot if it is actually against club policy. It is generally expected that as a guest, you bring your golf shoes (in a shoe bag) into the locker room. There may be areas of the clubhouse where golf shoes are prohibited, so it kind of makes sense that you enter in your street shoes and change in the appropriate place.

I'll flip it on you...is it really such a horrible thing to ask you to change into your golf shoes in the comfort of a place that is actually designed and dedicated for such activity? The bonus is, at most clubs you can actually get your street shoes and golf shoes cleaned and shined all for one $5 tip!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1354741518' post='6023693']
[quote name='slocagolfer' timestamp='1354740106' post='6023593']

[b]So what is the reason why it's so horrible to change your shoes in the parking lot? Just askin'.[/b]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Not necessarily horrible, just generally considered "poor form" at most higher-end private clubs. It might also serve to potentially embarass or put your host in a bad spot if it is actually against club policy. It is generally expected that as a guest, you bring your golf shoes (in a shoe bag) into the locker room. There may be areas of the clubhouse where golf shoes are prohibited, so it kind of makes sense that you enter in your street shoes and change in the appropriate place.

I'll flip it on you...is it really such a horrible thing to ask you to change into your golf shoes in the comfort of a place that is actually designed and dedicated for such activity? The bonus is, at most clubs you can actually get your street shoes and golf shoes cleaned and shined all for one $5 tip!
[/quote]

Okay, it's against club policy and any reasonable person would honor that. And no, it's not horrible to change your shoes in a locker room. Personally, I take care of my own shoes (and clean my own clubs, when it comes to that). But to each their own.

Besides some considering it "bad form", which is very subjective, is there any other reason for the rule?

Changing your shoes one place instead of another is "plain horrible" in as much as someone decides it is "plain horrible". It is no more or less meaningful than someone getting his nose out of joint because your shirt doesn't have a proper collar, your cap is on backwards, your socks are too short or you set your bag down in the wrong place. Some people just love to make rules, it gives them a feeling of power and control that they get off on.

None the less, if you want to be invited to Rome be prepared to do as the Romans do, so to speak...

[i]So I am most definitely not in the income bracket where I can afford a private club membership... however I've been invited as a guest several times and never really liked the experience. Perhaps it is just intimidation on my part, fear that I'll break some rule of etiquette of which I am not aware. But I don't really understand all the unwritten rules and I think they take away from the fun of the game.

A couple things I've noticed (at least at the private clubs I've played at, maybe these are not typical):[/i]

[i][b][size=5]-You can't use a push/pull cart.[/size][/b] Either ride a motorized cart or else have a caddy. Nothing against the caddies who all seem like very nice kids, but shouldn't a paying club member have the option to use a Clicgear cart if that's how he prefers to play golf? A caddy requires yet another tip and also adds another level of intimidation for hackers, who might just as soon not have another person around to watch them play lousy.[/i]

[size=4][b]The "No push cart" rule is there for the good of the members. It provides the club with additional revenue, and keeps the number of players on foot to a minimum, creating a faster pace of play and making the course more enjoyable for the members. Nothing worse than playing at public courses and getting stuck behind endless groups using push carts causing 6+ hour round. Not to mention a bunch of push carts all over the place makes it looks dumpy and cluttered like a muni.[/b][/size]

[i][b][size=5]-rules about eating/drinking.[/size][/b] When I play at my muni I pack a small cooler with gatorade, water, snacks, sometimes even a sandwich, etc. At the private club this seems to be a big faux pas. The only option is to buy things from the cart girl. Once again I have nothing against the cart girls, I just don't always want what they have to sell (and it also has to be charged to the account of the member who invited me, which makes me hesitate since as his guest I don't want to abuse his generosity).[/i]

[size=4][b]I have NEVER seen any course, public nor private that allowed you to bring your own food and drinks. Where are you playing that allows that? Billy Bob's 9 Hole Pitch & Putt Goat Ranch? Do you bring your own food and drinks to professional sporting events and restaurants too? Bringing your own food and drink cheats the course out of revenue. That's revenue they use to pay bills and keep the course in good condition. If you cheat the course, you're only cheating yourself. Support your course. If you're bringing your own food and drink, you have no room to complain about the condition of the course, at all. Nothing wrong with throwing a couple energy bars or whatever in your bag. But packing sandwiches and drinks is absurd. Especially if you're riding in a cart. [/b][/size]

[i][b][size=5]-Clothing rules such as no putting on your shoes in the parking lot.[/size][/b] OK I get it, they have a nice locker room, but what is the harm if a guest just puts on his golf shoes at his car? My first time I arrived at the club before the member who invited me, and I was unaware of this rule. A club employee (caddy master I guess) came up and told me rather snidely that I should take my golf shoes and wait for the member in the locker room.[/i]

[size=4][b]Holy smokes. This is common sense. Do you change your pants while sitting on the trunk of your car in the parking lot too?? Change your shoes inside your car where nobody has to see that your mom did not give you clean socks that morning, or has to smell the fact that you have bad case of foot fungus and have not changed socks in a week. Change your shoes INSIDE your car, or in the locker room. It's not a big deal. Let me guess? Being asked to tuck your shirt in is too much to ask too?[/b][/size]

[i]-[b][size=5]Way too much tipping[/size][/b] and etiquette involved in who to tip, how much, who not to tip, etc... tip the caddy master, tip the caddy, tip the kid who takes the clubs out of your trunk, tip the kid who puts the clubs back in your trunk... again I don't mind tipping them for their service, but it brings in yet another intimidation factor for non-members who are not sure who/what they should be tipping. I think a lot of guests probably overtip simply because they are afraid they will look cheap to the members or staff of the club.[/i]

[b]A tip is a tip. It's not a requirement. Normally the only person you HAVE to tip is the caddy or forecaddy if YOU hire one. Is it too much to tip a kid that cleans your clubs and loads them in your car a whole $3? Your cheap a** just saved $20 on the cart fee by bringing your crappy push cart, and screwed the club and members out of more revenue by bringing your own food and drinks. Now you're trying to screw the kid that's done everything for you except wipe your butt out of a whole $3.00? LOL[/b]

[i]I realize there are many, many great things about a private club and since I am not a member of one perhaps I am just not used to some of the rules. But I would think some of the rules even get annoying to the actual members. I think even if I hit the lottery one day,[b] I'll keep playing on my local muni where I can use my push cart and not tuck my shirt in if I don't want to.[/b][/i]

[b]Yeah, enjoy your 8 hour round at your local muni that's full of unfilled divots, rock hard bunkers, poor maintenance and idiots who are all dressed like slobs who are only out there to see how much booze they can suck down during the round. Some people like to actually enjoy their round of golf. With your tight wallet and poor etiquette, I'm surprised anyone would invite you to a private club.[/b]
[/quote]
Well said

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1354742656' post='6023797']
Changing your shoes one place instead of another is "plain horrible" in as much as someone decides it is "plain horrible". It is no more or less meaningful than someone getting his nose out of joint because your shirt doesn't have a proper collar, your cap is on backwards, your socks are too short or you set your bag down in the wrong place. [b]Some people just love to make rules, it gives them a feeling of power and control that they get off on[/b].

None the less, if you want to be invited to Rome be prepared to do as the Romans do, so to speak...
[/quote]

Sounds like a "chip on the shoulder" type of response as well as a gross generalization. Sure, some places (and people) can be "over-the-top" with rules, but most just want to keep a minimum level of decorum, civility, and sometimes tradition. I don't think the member entertaining his most important clients or customers would be too happy to see a foursome warming up on the putting green in cut-off jeans, wife-beater tees, and untied work boots. Of course, it's all subjective, but so are many things in life. Its for the same reason that same business executive may choose to wine and dine his customers at Smith and Wollensky's instead of Denny's. Societal norms and behavioural expectations are everywhere, not just at golf clubs..

That said, there are also some really exclusive, super high-end clubs where the only rules are that there are no rules, and there are no women. Want to play as a shirtless sixsome, have at it as long as you don't make another member wait! All night poker game in the men's grill in only your boxers...no problem.

If you have the means to join a private club, familiarize yourself with their rules in advance, and if the club's culture doesn't float your boat, don't join. Same thing goes for being a guest...if it's too off-putting to deal with, simply decline the invitation.

edit for spelling...damn auto correct!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball