2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade R1 Graphics

igolfchip

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1356535215' post='6118095']
You know guys I don't mind the white, actually love matte finishes and R1 name is significantly better than Rocketwhatever BUT the crown graphics push it too far, just feels like it distracts from this clubs real potential. It's being fussy I know but it bugs me, same kinda feeling I get when a professional athlete says "it's a business"...BB
[/quote]

One of the questions that came up at the beginning of the thread and has lingered since is what specific performance increase are we going to see in the R1 versus the R11S. At first we heard that there was definitive increase in club head speed and distance by one of the testers which was exciting, but then later it was revealed that was what was told to them by a TM employee and not what they actually were able to measure in any objective way.
Easy's word is bond. If he says it's a cannon I would believe that, but then again I would say the R11S was a cannon too. His thoughts were much like a guy who I played golf with in college who recently tried the R1 and said it was a fine driver, but no different than the r11S and maybe 5 yards shorter. If we accept that the only difference between the R11S and R1 is maybe 5 yards one way or the other and 1 degree of loft more you can adjust, does it justify upgrading? And upgrading to a worse looking driver with a compass on the bottom?
When you add to the mix that TMAG has decided to make all my old shafts unusable without conversion, it now opens the door to look at every driver out there. Not a great thing for TMAG when Nike is getting ready to launch a driver that has everyone excited, Callaway is solid offerings, and other OEMs look strong too. There's probably an argument to be made that TMAG has taken their consumers for granted by pushing a driver that benefits the manufacturer and retailer far more than the end consumer.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever people say - we all know these will be the biggest selling driver this year and that most of the naysayers will at least try one (and probably be impressed) before the Summer is through.

STZ 10.5 Motore F3 60s

STZ 5 wood Motore F3 70s

CLK 22 Tensei blue 
JPX 850 Forged 4-pw S300

ES21 54 60 
Mizuno Craft 1

BigPete, I understand and that's what everyone has said and happened for a while now but my spidy sense is tingling and I get the feeling the TheDarkOne makes very valid arguements. I think it's high season for many OEM's in the driver and wood space in 2013 and beyond...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I know we're talking about the R1, but I saw the RBZ (glued) fairway and honestly the graphics on top are not that bad. I wasnt allowed to hit it but when at setup, it didnt bother me at all. Will be definitely trying these along with the other stuff coming out. Should be a great shootout!

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

Now that the RBZ fw are going to be adjustable, will they use the old r11 adapter, the r11s adapter or the r1 adapter? If they use the older adapter, now there is a market for pulling the old adapters off our driver shaft collections to put on r1 adopters.

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

[quote name='Rebel420' timestamp='1356577739' post='6121445']
Now that the RBZ fw are going to be adjustable, will they use the old r11 adapter, the r11s adapter or the r1 adapter? If they use the older adapter, now there is a market for pulling the old adapters off our driver shaft collections to put on r1 adopters.
[/quote]

They are using the current 1.5* sleeves for the new adjustable RBZ stage2 line.

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1356556379' post='6119347']
If there is going to be a shootout, I'd challenge you to try this:

Get a "standardized" shaft like Blueboard 73, Project X, or some Matrix or Oban shaft. But make sure the EXACT shame shaft is used in the R9/R11/R1.

Same length, same loft, same swingweight.

I'd be willing to wager a bottle of your favorite label they will all be within a few yards of each other if the only variable is the head and the lofts/face angles of each head are consistent.
[/quote]

I would bet this is true also. I actually plan to do just that. If it goes well I will probably want to pull some of the old tips off the shafts I have for the older Tmag drivers and convert them to the new ones. Nerve racking but something I have been pondering.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1356557006' post='6119395']
You know guys I don't mind the white, actually love matte finishes and R1 name is significantly better than Rocketwhatever BUT the crown graphics push it too far, just feels like it distracts from this clubs real potential. It's being fussy I know but it bugs me, same kinda feeling I get when a professional athlete says "it's a business"...BB
[/quote]

One of the questions that came up at the beginning of the thread and has lingered since is what specific performance increase are we going to see in the R1 versus the R11S. At first we heard that there was definitive increase in club head speed and distance by one of the testers which was exciting, but then later it was revealed that was what was told to them by a TM employee and not what they actually were able to measure in any objective way.
Easy's word is bond. If he says it's a cannon I would believe that, but then again I would say the R11S was a cannon too. His thoughts were much like a guy who I played golf with in college who recently tried the R1 and said it was a fine driver, but no different than the r11S and maybe 5 yards shorter. If we accept that the only difference between the R11S and R1 is maybe 5 yards one way or the other and 1 degree of loft more you can adjust, does it justify upgrading? And upgrading to a worse looking driver with a compass on the bottom?
When you add to the mix that TMAG has decided to make all my old shafts unusable without conversion, it now opens the door to look at every driver out there. Not a great thing for TMAG when Nike is getting ready to launch a driver that has everyone excited, Callaway is solid offerings, and other OEMs look strong too. There's probably an argument to be made that TMAG has taken their consumers for granted by pushing a driver that benefits the manufacturer and retailer far more than the end consumer.
[/quote]

Sir Dark,

Good points. I think the shaft adapter switch might detour some but I am in that bucket of guys that have a few shafts tipped up in the old adaptors. I will most likely pull the tips and use that shafts in my new gamer or add new tips.

You point is well taken though.

I dont think we are going to see more significant yards every year. I also think that dispersion is where we might see some advantages. I loved the sound and the flight. I didnt have this on a launch monitor compared to the R11s. That is where the rubber meets the road.

I will take this head and get fitted and bring the top gamer drivers along for the ride. That is where I can add a bunch of different shafts to see if one might be the one. Than compare that to the best combo of the R11s.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1356404704' post='6113943']
[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1356402230' post='6113839']
[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1355541922' post='6071249']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1355541561' post='6071225']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1355541370' post='6071209']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1355540571' post='6071127']
[quote name='espurling' timestamp='1355540408' post='6071105']
[b]Yuck, double yuck, triple yuck!!! Don't they have an oversight committee??? These will bomb big time!![/b]
[/quote]

I will bet you a years salary that they won't...
[/quote]
Deal me in...
[/quote]

Lol, the more the merrier!
[/quote]

i want in on these odds
[/quote]

Can I hedge the bet though?? LOL
[/quote]

Only if you give up your new irons..
[/quote]

Not a snowballs chance in hell in that one. LOL. You'll have to pry them outta my cold dead hands. LOL

[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1356589528' post='6122349']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1356404704' post='6113943']
[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1356402230' post='6113839']
[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1355541922' post='6071249']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1355541561' post='6071225']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1355541370' post='6071209']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1355540571' post='6071127']
[quote name='espurling' timestamp='1355540408' post='6071105']
[b]Yuck, double yuck, triple yuck!!! Don't they have an oversight committee??? These will bomb big time!![/b]
[/quote]

I will bet you a years salary that they won't...
[/quote]
Deal me in...
[/quote]

Lol, the more the merrier!
[/quote]

i want in on these odds
[/quote]

Can I hedge the bet though?? LOL
[/quote]

Only if you give up your new irons..
[/quote]

Not a snowballs chance in hell in that one. LOL. You'll have to pry them outta my cold dead hands. LOL
[/quote]

It didn't hurt to ask you know....

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1356580999' post='6121823']

Get a "standardized" shaft like Blueboard 73, Project X, or some Matrix or Oban shaft. But make sure the EXACT shame shaft is used in the R9/R11/R1.

I'd be willing to wager a bottle of your favorite label they will all be within a few yards of each other if the only variable is the head and the lofts/face angles of each head are consistent.
[/quote]

I would bet this is true also. I actually plan to do just that. If it goes well I will probably want to pull some of the old tips off the shafts I have for the older Tmag drivers and convert them to the new ones. Nerve racking but something I have been pondering.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sir Dark,

Good points. I think the shaft adapter switch might detour some but I am in that bucket of guys that have a few shafts tipped up in the old adaptors. I will most likely pull the tips and use that shafts in my new gamer or add new tips.

I dont think we are going to see more significant yards every year. I also think that dispersion is where we might see some advantages. I loved the sound and the flight. I didnt have this on a launch monitor compared to the R11s. That is where the rubber meets the road.

I will take this head and get fitted and bring the top gamer drivers along for the ride. That is where I can add a bunch of different shafts to see if one might be the one. Than compare that to the best combo of the R11s.
[/quote]

same shaft and setup in the r1/r11s my friend gained 10 yards - but more importantly better feel and sound. he is very candid and has been willing to tell me in the past if i should pass on an upcoming line or not. he predicted my bag will look like this:

r1 driver
stage 2 3 wood
stage 2 hybrid
3-PW rocketbladez tour
atv 54/58 (same)
ghost spider (same)
lethal (that good - love the ones i have played)

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1356618522' post='6123093']
same shaft and setup in the r1/r11s my friend gained 10 yards - but more importantly better feel and sound. he is very candid and has been willing to tell me in the past if i should pass on an upcoming line or not. he predicted my bag will look like this:

r1 driver
stage 2 3 wood
stage 2 hybrid
3-PW rocketbladez tour
atv 54/58 (same)
ghost spider (same)
[/quote]

Pretty much what I predict my bag to look like at some point this season, with the exception I prefer a 60* wedge at the short end, and would probably do a 4i as my longest. But I do know my driver is being replaced this year. Not sure with what but if its the right fit, I'd like to try the R1. My 4w will be replaced as well, so might as well be a stage2 My hybrid spot, is up in the air. I really liked the Rescue 11 series, but the distance on the RBZ is nice, just have a problem with the extremely closd face. Hopefully the stage 2 is adjustable

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

[quote name='Rebel420' timestamp='1356621228' post='6123309']

r1 driver
stage 2 3 wood
stage 2 hybrid
3-PW rocketbladez tour
atv 54/58 (same)
ghost spider (same)
[/quote]

Pretty much what I predict my bag to look like at some point this season, with the exception I prefer a 60* wedge at the short end, and would probably do a 4i as my longest. But I do know my driver is being replaced this year. Not sure with what but if its the right fit, I'd like to try the R1. My 4w will be replaced as well, so might as well be a stage2 My hybrid spot, is up in the air. I really liked the Rescue 11 series, but the distance on the RBZ is nice, just have a problem with the extremely closd face. Hopefully the stage 2 is adjustable
[/quote]

Once again, the Stage2 is adjustable if you get the tour model.

r1 driver
stage 2 3 wood
stage 2 hybrid
3-PW rocketbladez tour
atv 54/58 (same)
ghost spider (same)
[/quote]

Hi Swan- Happy holidays to you and your family!!!

How did your friend gain 10 yards? Was he not getting optimal launch and spin numbers with the R11s and he is now with the R1? Or are you saying the ball speed is higher on the R1 vs the R11s? Thx

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1356630838' post='6124235']

r1 driver
stage 2 3 wood
stage 2 hybrid
3-PW rocketbladez tour
atv 54/58 (same)
ghost spider (same)
[/quote]

How did your friend gain 10 yards? Was he not getting optimal launch and spin numbers with the R11s and he is now with the R1? Or are you saying the ball speed is higher on the R1 vs the R11s? Thx
[/quote]

he was optimized and fit for a shaft at the &*%$ headquarters for his r11s. i need to stop at this... sorry :(

i will say that slowly the engineering in the adjustable head is allowing for greater ball speeds than in previous generations. look back to the original r9 and the advances to the r11s.

personally sometimes the progression seems too tedious - slowly implementing the engineering.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1356634950' post='6124583']
i will say that slowly the engineering in the adjustable head is allowing for greater ball speeds than in previous generations.
[/quote]

Can you give a general overview of what specifically you are talking about, in other words what is happening in the engineering to the head to increase the ball speeds?
That's certainly exciting news

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1356635857' post='6124675']
i will say that slowly the engineering in the adjustable head is allowing for greater ball speeds than in previous generations.
[/quote]

Can you give a general overview of what specifically you are talking about, in other words what is happening in the engineering to the head to increase the ball speeds?
That's certainly exciting news
[/quote]

if you look at aerodynamics and how it corresponds with the MWT placement and being forward to increase ball speed. i remember back to the r7 and the beginning of MWT - you could hear the air drag on the backswing. IMO the aerodynamics have been improved dramatically.

also anytime the weight can be reduced where the tip is screwed into the head - the weight can be reallocated to areas that promote more ball speed.

ironically, things seem to be forgotten... the r11 had a large "pocket" on the sole for the ASP plate - which was a huge oversight. the r11s addressed this by having the rear of the pocket open.

what has gone into the r1 head for improvement - i honestly don't know.

r1 driver
stage 2 3 wood
stage 2 hybrid
3-PW rocketbladez tour
atv 54/58 (same)
ghost spider (same)
[/quote]

[/quote]

he was optimized and fit for a shaft at the &*%$ headquarters for his r11s. i need to stop at this... sorry :(

i will say that slowly the engineering in the adjustable head is allowing for greater ball speeds than in previous generations. look back to the original r9 and the advances to the r11s.

personally sometimes the progression seems too tedious - slowly implementing the engineering.
[/quote]

How do you get higher ballspeed without changing cor or swingspeed? Smash factor is limited by physics. I understand mishits creating higher ballspeed.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1356638294' post='6124891']

r1 driver
stage 2 3 wood
stage 2 hybrid
3-PW rocketbladez tour
atv 54/58 (same)
ghost spider (same)
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How do you get higher ballspeed without changing cor or swingspeed? Smash factor is limited by physics. I understand mishits creating higher ballspeed.
[/quote]Engineering variance :) BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sir Dark,

[/quote]

r1 driver
stage 2 3 wood
stage 2 hybrid
3-PW rocketbladez tour
atv 54/58 (same)
ghost spider (same)
[/quote]Odd, wasn't the biggest gripe about the 11s the sound it made at impact. It was so bad some say that they even filled theirs with cotton balls. Cottonballz (CBZ). I expect a call from TM on this one. It's all mine.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1356649303' post='6125757']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sir Dark,

[/quote]

r1 driver
stage 2 3 wood
stage 2 hybrid
3-PW rocketbladez tour
atv 54/58 (same)
ghost spider (same)
[/quote]Odd, wasn't the biggest gripe about the 11s the sound it made at impact. It was so bad some say that they even filled theirs with cotton balls. Cottonballz (CBZ). I expect a call from TM on this one. It's all mine.
[/quote]

Yes it sounded horrible, so bad I couldn't game it. If the new one sounds even as good as the Superfast I will get one.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1356653666' post='6126089']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sir Dark,

[/quote]

r1 driver
stage 2 3 wood
stage 2 hybrid
3-PW rocketbladez tour
atv 54/58 (same)
ghost spider (same)
[/quote]

Yes it sounded horrible, so bad I couldn't game it. If the new one sounds even as good as the Superfast I will get one.
[/quote]

New one does not sound like the r11. I can say it sounds like my 910d2. Hard to describe.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

[quote name='deck' timestamp='1356654500' post='6126151']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sir Dark,

[/quote]

r1 driver
stage 2 3 wood
stage 2 hybrid
3-PW rocketbladez tour
atv 54/58 (same)
ghost spider (same)
[/quote]

[/quote]

New one does not sound like the r11. I can say it sounds like my 910d2. Hard to describe.
[/quote]

Sound is like looks, it should be an intangable on performance but often as important as any playing charetcteristic. If the sound is right, than you wil more likely swing in control more often and have more center hits. If the r1 is in the 910 913 audible range then there will be a lot of happy buyers.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 70 Limited White X
Titleist TS2 15* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 Limited White X 
Titleist TS2 21* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 Limited White X 

Titleist 718 CB 4-P DGS300
Titleist Vokey raw SM6, 50-8F, 56-12F, SM7 60-08M S300
Cameron Select Newport 2 with SS Flatso 1.0
Pro V1X

[quote name='Rob Mitchell' timestamp='1356665772' post='6127117']
It is funny how in talking about possibly the most adjustable driver to date, everyone is talking about the paint on the club.
[/quote]

At the end of the day, the number of ways I will set my driver is 1-2 ways max. I've adjusted my Superdeep once since I've owned it. Adjustability means nothing once you are optimized.

But you WILL see that crown on every swing every time you tee it up.

Even with the adjustability, they haven't found a way to make the lie angle flatter.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sir Dark,

[/quote]

r1 driver
stage 2 3 wood
stage 2 hybrid
3-PW rocketbladez tour
atv 54/58 (same)
ghost spider (same)
[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting. I've had several friends that have hit it said it wasn't that great. One commented that it was one of the worst sounding drivers he had hit in a while, and all told me (none know each other) that they felt the RBZ V2 was FAR superior in every way. Each said they felt the performance suffered due to all the adjustability, yet all agreed universally that the RBZ V2 will fly off the shelves.

Go figure.