G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1383592657' post='8100776']
gallas2, where you from, still playing? I see Prairies got hit with snow!? lol
[/quote]

Yup....I have 72 rounds in so far. 12 rounds in October. I'm in Vancouver....we don't have to shovel the rain!

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

So I have the 7 and PW in play to try and get a feel for the CFS shafts. They felt good and the head is amazing. I really could not get an accurate reading on the ball flight of the shaft, as the winds are 22mph with 30mph gusts. I put some right on the money with the PW, so that felt good.

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1383593671' post='8100862']
So I have the 7 and PW in play to try and get a feel for the CFS shafts. They felt good and the head is amazing. I really could not get an accurate reading on the ball flight of the shaft, as the winds are 22mph with 30mph gusts. I put some right on the money with the PW, so that felt good.
[/quote]

I like the CFS and I find it doesn't balloon that badly even in the wind. I play right on the water and it gets pretty windy. FWIW, I had a chance to hit a bunch of shafts indoors on the monitor on Saturday.......

I started with CFS Stiff with 7 iron and went through DG S300, PX 6.0, KBS Stiff, and AWT stiff. PX felt a little 'boardy' and AWT a little 'springy' but good.

To my surprise I hit the AWT the farthest (but with slightly higher spin). DGS300 second and then PX and CFS/KBS last. I was averaging about 86 mph.

I thought it might have been because I was warmed up and grooving it more so I went back to the CFS. Sure enough the numbers dropped off. Back to AWT and yardage went right back up.

DGS300 "felt" the best to me but I was hitting the AWT farther and straighter. Strange...then I remembered my personal best score was with AWT's in G10s.....must be something to it.

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1382701071' post='8055633']
I'll be curious to see how folks like these after the "honeymoon period" is up with them.

No snark intended. We've all seen it.
[/quote]

got mine in august, played great ever since. worst round was 79, numerous rounds under par, a couple under 70. when i got them my hcp was 4.2, now its at 0.5. too bad the season is over.
hope the honeymoon is still on next year :D

[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1383592159' post='8100738']
[quote name='mooseman76' timestamp='1383433510' post='8093656']
[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1383398706' post='8091982']
Interesting. My G25s came D2 swing weight. Not sure the +1/2'' had anything to do with it?
[/quote]

Yes, if you don't specify a swing weight they build them to the standard without regard to length. So adding the 1/2" brings them to D2. Now you could say +1/2" and D0, D4, whatever. But without specifying they are built to D0 and the added length brings them up. At least this was my understanding when ordering.
[/quote]

would cushion inserts move em up to D2?
[/quote]

Not sure about the inserts. I thought I read that where they are placed in the shaft it doesn't affect swing weight. But I'm not 100% sure.

Reading your other post, I agree about the AWT vs the CFS. I had the same results as you. AWT was longer but more spin. In still digging the CFS but, honestly, I wouldn't mind the length of the AWT.

[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1383592159' post='8100738']
[quote name='mooseman76' timestamp='1383433510' post='8093656']
[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1383398706' post='8091982']
Interesting. My G25s came D2 swing weight. Not sure the +1/2'' had anything to do with it?
[/quote]

Yes, if you don't specify a swing weight they build them to the standard without regard to length. So adding the 1/2" brings them to D2. Now you could say +1/2" and D0, D4, whatever. But without specifying they are built to D0 and the added length brings them up. At least this was my understanding when ordering.
[/quote]

would cushion inserts move em up to D2?
[/quote]

My G25's are stock length, 3/4 flat, cushin inserts, swing weight is actually D0. I think the added weight in the shaft actually decreases the swing weight.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

[quote]

Reading your other post, I agree about the AWT vs the CFS. I had the same results as you. AWT was longer but more spin. In still digging the CFS but, honestly, I wouldn't mind the length of the AWT.
[/quote]

Yes it surprised me. Greens at my club are small and fast. Wouldn't a higher launch lower spin suit these greens better?

I went to get fitted with the intention to get the G25 with the right specs for me. Ended up with the JPX 825 1* up at standard length with DG S300. I really wanted the G25 but the numbers where better with the JPX. Did all the fitting from a mat, so im thinking of buying a 7 iron and maybe a 9 iron of eBay and trying the G25 at the course. Really wanted thoose, it kind of buggs me that i didnt hit em as good as everybody else in here..

[i][size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]Callaway [/b]Great Big Bertha 9,0 Diamana D+ 72x
[b]Callaway [/b]X hot Pro 17 GD Tour AD DJ 8x[/font][/size][/i]
[i][size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]Callaway[/b] Apex Hybrid 20 GD Tour AD DI 85s
[b]Mizuno[/b] MP H5 #4, MP-25 5-P Project X 5.5[/font][/size][/i]
[i][size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]Titleist[/b] SM5 52F, 58M TT DG X100Ti[/font][/size][/i]
[i][size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]Scotty Cameron[/b] Circa '62 No.5 (Pro platinum finish and custom stamping)[/font][/size][/i]

[quote name='hellebjork' timestamp='1383725983' post='8108812']
I went to get fitted with the intention to get the G25 with the right specs for me. Ended up with the JPX 825 1* up at standard length with DG S300. I really wanted the G25 but the numbers where better with the JPX. Did all the fitting from a mat, so im thinking of buying a 7 iron and maybe a 9 iron of eBay and trying the G25 at the course. Really wanted thoose, it kind of buggs me that i didnt hit em as good as everybody else in here..
[/quote] What was the major difference between the two? I can't imagine it was that large of a difference. How did you like the feel of both of them?

PING G25 4-UW CFS

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1383726258' post='8108814']
[/quote] What was the major difference between the two? I can't imagine it was that large of a difference. How did you like the feel of both of them?
[/quote]

The difference wasnt huge but there was a difference, told myself when i was going there that i was going to buy the ones with the best numbers - even if it wasnt the g25. But still, it buggers me.

I think the G25 has the better looks, didnt like the grips though. And the club felt light. I like the swing weight to be a bit on the heavy side. The mizzys felt a bit harsch, but i liked the sound when i strike the ball. Gave a bit confidence. As i normally play a TM Tour Preferred MB/MC combo i cant say that any of the clubs gave me that WOW feeling. But i have to admit, i rather play better golf than have a better feel when i strike the ball (at least i am trying to convince myself that, thats why i got in to gi/sgi).

My normal strenght (on a straight day) is my length of the tee. And the iron play being my poor side i think this would help me out a lot. I shoot somewhere in the high 70 to low 80.

[i][size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]Callaway [/b]Great Big Bertha 9,0 Diamana D+ 72x
[b]Callaway [/b]X hot Pro 17 GD Tour AD DJ 8x[/font][/size][/i]
[i][size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]Callaway[/b] Apex Hybrid 20 GD Tour AD DI 85s
[b]Mizuno[/b] MP H5 #4, MP-25 5-P Project X 5.5[/font][/size][/i]
[i][size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]Titleist[/b] SM5 52F, 58M TT DG X100Ti[/font][/size][/i]
[i][size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]Scotty Cameron[/b] Circa '62 No.5 (Pro platinum finish and custom stamping)[/font][/size][/i]

[quote name='hellebjork' timestamp='1383726949' post='8108824']
[/quote]

The difference wasnt huge but there was a difference, told myself when i was going there that i was going to buy the ones with the best numbers - even if it wasnt the g25. But still, it buggers me.

I think the G25 has the better looks, didnt like the grips though. And the club felt light. I like the swing weight to be a bit on the heavy side. The mizzys felt a bit harsch, but i liked the sound when i strike the ball. Gave a bit confidence. As i normally play a TM Tour Preferred MB/MC combo i cant say that any of the clubs gave me that WOW feeling. But i have to admit, i rather play better golf than have a better feel when i strike the ball (at least i am trying to convince myself that, thats why i got in to gi/sgi).

My normal strenght (on a straight day) is my length of the tee. And the iron play being my poor side i think this would help me out a lot. I shoot somewhere in the high 70 to low 80.
[/quote] There are intangibles with everything in life. Don't let just numbers be the deciding factor. I'm not saying go with the G25, just shedding some wisdom. Confidence in a club can go a long way. You can also request a swing weight from Ping to get the right feel.

PING G25 4-UW CFS

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1383727655' post='8108830']
[quote name='hellebjork' timestamp='1383726949' post='8108824']
[/quote]

[/quote] There are intangibles with everything in life. Don't let just numbers be the deciding factor. I'm not saying go with the G25, just shedding some wisdom. Confidence in a club can go a long way. You can also request a swing weight from Ping to get the right feel.
[/quote]

+1
We all suffer from biases.....confirmation bias is one. We search for info to confirm our bias and ignore other info. I'm convinced I play better with pings therefore I do. I've been building that bias since I was 16 and hit my grandfathers eye2 7 iron on a par three at John's Island west course 25 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember the topic a few years ago with a G series iron; the OP ended up bagging the whole set down to the SW and LW? I have tried searching and am coming up empty.

PING G25 4-UW CFS

[quote name='smooothone23' timestamp='1384472543' post='8150168']
So when will Ping come out with the next series of irons? As soon as I pull the trigger on the 25's the G30's will be out......lol. I am not sure if I can replace my AP2's yet.....
[/quote] I wasn't a big fan of the G20 and G15, but love the G25's. There is a good chance you might not like what comes next. I think the G25 is a great set that will stay in my bag for years to come.

PING G25 4-UW CFS

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1384473752' post='8150256']
[quote name='smooothone23' timestamp='1384472543' post='8150168']
So when will Ping come out with the next series of irons? As soon as I pull the trigger on the 25's the G30's will be out......lol. I am not sure if I can replace my AP2's yet.....
[/quote] I wasn't a big fan of the G20 and G15, but love the G25's. There is a good chance you might not like what comes next. I think the G25 is a great set that will stay in my bag for years to come.
[/quote]

True statement. Guess I will keep swinging the AP2s until I get a chance to hit some G25s for a round or 2. I wish you could rent the irons for a while to decide.

I want KBS in these now. Might pull trigger on Monday on getting them swapped out. Really wish Pung would send the shaft pulls back with the clubs though.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

[quote name='willboyrd' timestamp='1384487345' post='8151488']
I want KBS in these now. Might pull trigger on Monday on getting them swapped out. Really wish Pung would send the shaft pulls back with the clubs though.
[/quote]Why not, just ask them? They are your shafts?!

Ping Hoofer

TM Sim2 10.5* 

TM Sim2 4H

TM P790 5-AW

TM MG1 54/60*

SC NP

TM SS

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1384531544' post='8153338']
[/quote]Why not, just ask them? They are your shafts?!
[/quote]

Per the Ping site, section on Repair:
[list]
[*]Shafts removed from clubheads are rendered unusable and will not be returned.
[/list]

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Yeah, pretty lame. They will reshaft just heads, but they then void the warranty. To top it off, the water-based epoxy Ping uses is freakin' crazy and takes massive amounts of heat to break down. I'll prolly just stomach the charge and have them do it. I prolly wouldn't be able to get much out of the Nippon 950gh pulls anyway. maybe a 100$ for all 11. no biggie.

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

[/quote]

Why KBS? What don't you like about the Nippon's?

I just need more heft throughout the club. The nippons are ok but they are just too light and the tip is little overactive. I have swingweighted them up to d3 and tried different weights along the way but the balance of the club doesn't feel right. I had my Ping rep send me a KBS demo shaft and I put it in a 7iron orange dot demo head and it felt SOOOOO much more stable. Much more balanced and dispersion was night and day.

• 2 weeks later...

Well eBay offered up the specs (+.5in, cushin, stiff, 4-UW) I like and low and behold I fell into a set of G25s :blush:
They are getting regripped tomorrow and I will have them set to black dot from their current red dot, but after playing two rounds with them this weekend I'm very happy with them.

With Cally XHPs, X-Forged, and i20s, these are certainly the improviest irons I've have, but with only 25ish range balls for a warmup, they've been well easy to get on with. Setting up to the ball will require some trial and error, as there certainly is a lot more space heel to toe to deal with. I'm going to play them during the winter and see how it goes :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1385347942' post='8202258']
Well eBay offered up the specs (+.5in, cushin, stiff, 4-UW) I like and low and behold I fell into a set of G25s :blush:
They are getting regripped tomorrow and I will have them set to black dot from their current red dot, but after playing two rounds with them this weekend I'm very happy with them.

With Cally XHPs, X-Forged, and i20s, these are certainly the improviest irons I've have, but with only 25ish range balls for a warmup, they've been well easy to get on with. Setting up to the ball will require some trial and error, as there certainly is a lot more space heel to toe to deal with. I'm going to play them during the winter and see how it goes :)
[/quote]

Nice to hear you hit them well. I almost bought the XHP this spring, hitting them side by side to the G25 at a demo day I liked both. I got the G25 in May and they have not left the bag. I came from MP32 and figured it would take me a while to get accustomed to the different look, zero, zilch, nada. One range session and it was pretty much auto pilot, that is the way they play as well.

Enjoy them and keep us posted on how you are making out with them. I would be very interested in hearing if you noticed much difference when you have the lie angles bent.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

Took the g25 out for a practice session today and hit a couple of hundred balls with it. I use mp63 but inspired by this post I gave it a go.... First impressions, massive and lots of offset... However after hitting it I couldn't care much... I was loving it... Hi, low, cut, draw. I did however suffer from a a few unintentional pulls though but am putting this down to set up... Was quite upright aparently. Had a px5.5 in it which I'd probably change but as for the club itself... Am interested, 3-pw here I come.

High Handicapper here just fitted this week. During the fitting I hit the G25's, X-hots, and new Titleist 714's. I have no allegiance to any brand but ended up going with the G25's based on data and feel. My fitter thinks Ping hit a home run with this club and they felt great to me as well. Looking forward to spring and taking them out.

I've been gaming G25s for about two months or so, switching back and forth between them and a set of Adams CB2. There are three things that I don't like about these G25s.

1. Can't chip with the 9i, too much bounce, too wide sole.
2. Still can't get used to the offset, I have a tendency to hit hosel rockets when I'm tired and the huge offset just doesn't help (mostly toward the end of a range session, not on the course, fortunately)
3. They won't dig unless the fairway is really soggy.

But again, these are all because of the forgiveness they offer.

well boys just back from costa rica and had three great rounds in the sun. The guy that drove me to the Westin had a beaming smile on his face and told me an American guest had given him a set of G2's -- yes G2's not 25's. He was so happy he couldn't contain his enthusiasm. Said he had gained 10yds over his old 845s and was putting great with his new putter as well. He offered to lend me his clubs (met this guy for total of 10 minutes). Figured they were better than rentals so I took him up on it. Played great with wrong length and lie irons and a 33 inch two ball with a Michelob Ultra logo on it. None of the grips were newer than five years old. Made me think about how "in my own head" I am about equipment....and about how happy this guy was with ten year old technology. Tipped him half the rental charge after the round.